I do not like it, Spam I am?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (92 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Anyone else still getting hit with the spam comments?  I'm still averaging 2 or 3 a day and it shows no sign of letting up.  sad

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel neglected! I have not seen any spam contents on my hubs in comments at all! sad

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to some here you should have put in your spam request in Chinese characters.

I get about 20 spam a day on my own website and it is clearly one of those "pay to spin a comment on 100 blogs every day" programmes that I found at the end of my search for the source.

Every now and again I reset all their preferences en-masse and send them promotion emails.  From this activity I doubled views as the spin software does not actually view my site, and clearly quite a few of the originators came to have a look - and recently made my first sale of $1050 Australian dollars in response to one of the spammer promotional emails.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, maybe 2 a day are still ambling in. When it does, I shut off the comments for a few hours just to aggravate them.

Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've already received 4 or 5 hits today and because of the questions I often get on the weekend from those outside of HP, I am reluctant to stop comments from being allowed.

I'm depending on the spam filter to catch those I don't see on the feed for now.  I hope it doesn't continue at the present rate.  sad

3. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 11 years agoin reply to this

God yes, that is the one thing I noticed after coming back to hubpages after a years absence, where have all the spammers come from and why do they think it is going to work, All it does is frustrate and annoy me, What are they trying to acheive by this and why isnt hubpages trying to stop it, or are they, I dont know but I hope it ceases soon.

Yep, still getting pounded by them today.  Hp does catch most of them, thank goodness!  I hope they ease off a bit as I'm weary of deleting them too. smile

1. CMHypno profile image81
          CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even getting the spammers visiting Randy lol! lol

Ha Cynthia!  You can have my spammers if you like!  It'd be okay if they would buy or click something.  smile

My traffic has picked up a little, but only because Yahoo and Bing seem to have found my articles.  Google still apparently still dislikes HP's past.  yikes

1. CMHypno profile image81
              CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on your traffic rise Randy and I wouldn't dream of taking your spammers off you! smile

Thanks Cynthia, but traffic is still down to less than a third of what it was before last August.  I truly believe HP can get back in Google's good graces if they would simply stop allowing anyone and everyone to publish here without some sort of vetting process.  But HP seems bound and determined to make something work even though it has sounded the death knell for so many other writing sites.  Go figure!  smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Nope. Haven't had any for a while now. There was a short spike in SPAM on my hubs and to be honest it's the first time it's happened. I had like 50 or so SPAM comments in like 2 days, but nothing now.

I experienced the same huge attack, Ray, but I'm still getting hit every day with a few of the same type comments.  I wondered if it was just me.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm still getting them Randy.

Not many, but I saw one in the feed the other day, then when I looked under comments just now, I found a few more that had already been marked as spam.

Yes, I figured I was not alone, Izzy.  Spammers have no trouble finding my stuff but I"ll bet it isn't on google.  lol

3. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

Got a few yesterday Randy with one seeming to say in a round-about-way they liked the piece! Bizzaro bro. Are most of these originating in China, if you know?

Yo, Alastar!  Yes, I suspect Chinese spammers, but some appear to be in French also.  Things get weirder and weirder here these days.  Never a dull moment...!  smile

4. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

Hey Randy, since I set my comments to have only signed in users leave comments I haven't gotten any. I had to make that decision since I couldn't sign in each day to check on them and they had piled up to over 150.

I hope they let up on you. I really hate spammers. I got some in German as well, I suspect they are using some sort of software.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Cardisa, you really didn't need to set your comments to only signed in users because HP are on the ball when it comes to this kind of thing.

The fact that they have already marked it as spam (as in the case of 95% of what hit my account) means that all you have to do is hit 'delete forever', and none of their comments ever actually appeared to the public.

It was a software hit, no doubt about it. And yes it is still happening, but HP's own software is taking good care of it smile

2. IzzyM profile image86

BTW Cardisa, I found one of your hubs has been stolen by a blogspot blog - your jerkin sauces one? Similar name anyway.
      I had a hub on this name with a mushroom soup recipe that no-one ever looked at, and thought I would transfer it to a niche account.
      Checked Google, no copies, unpublished and copied hub over to niche.
      Went to hit publish the other day, and the 'duplicate' warning came up.
      Searched Google, and found someone had stolen my hub round about the same time I unpublished here.
      Unforunately I can't remember the url I originally used, and can't find my hub on the wayback machine.

I feel a re-write coming on. That's actually less than 10 minutes work, but I HATE thieves. It's when something like this happens that you think writing online might be a mistake.

Still...I like writing online.

1. Cardisa profile image86
        Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Izzy, I was so upset with all the spam hitting I didn't think about the filters at the time...lol. I was not well so seeing all those spammy comments made me mad.

Thanks for the heads up on the hub, I will look into it. What a bummer about your hub being stolen about the time you removed it, now you can't prove to Google it was yours.

5. Randy Godwin profile image60

Sorry, but I abhor the misrepresented title of "Elite" as used here on HP.  I've made no secret of this and most should know it by now.  Therefore, as a personal protest, I neither follow nor converse with those bearing this presumptuous moniker on the forums.  Nothing personal to those who know no better.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's a pretty strong opinion there, Randy. But I can see where you're coming from. Personally, I really don't even understand why they exist. Supposedly to great new hubbers? I sure as hell never got greated by one 7 month ago... lol

Believe me DOM, I have good reasons for my stance on this aspect of HP.  I've observed several sites be ruined by giving average writers presumptuous titles which were meant to gain loyalty in times of unpopular changes in rules or treatment of the other writers.

I can see no reasons for having this silly title bestowed on mere greeters, if they even do that anymore.  I like some of the folks who are burdened with the unfortunate choice of words, but they asked for it.  Don't ask me why, because any Hubber can welcome newbies without such a title.  It's the principle of the thing to me.  Yes I know, ain't many of those left online these days!  lol

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
          Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I respect you for that!! There really aren't many people left online or off with principles they stick to, but that's just my opinion. I also agree with you, I don't know why we have them. Even those that have the title complain about it, so what's the point? lol

It's human nature, DOM.  If HP had a group called Most Superior Writing Gods Of The Universe there would be plenty of volunteers clamoring for the title.  But they'd tell you the title wasn't important to them.  roll

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I just sent in my request. big_smile

I'll take a look at it and get back to you.  How superior and godly you are at writing is the main qualification.  I hope you sent at least three references?  roll

Tiny Tim
                  Geraldo
                  Snooki

I'll accept Tiny Tim.  Even though he's still dead, he's the most credible of the three given references.  yikes 

2. IzzyM profile image86

DOM, (may I call you that?), I've now got a total of 8 subdomains, in niche topics, all built within the last 9 months or so.

I was 'greeted' twice, and I have developed a grudging respect for both of those greeters, simply because they took the time to say 'hello'.

I personally think there are far too few greeters for the amount of new hubbers.

At the same time, we, as hubbers, know that there are far more spammers than there are genuine hubbers. If the 'elite' are there to worm out spammers, then it stands to reason they will not have the time to welcome newbies.

Yet welcoming newbies is surely what they signed up for?

2. IzzyM profile image86

Randy, get over yourself!

The term 'elite' is unfortunate because it suggests a superior knowledge or something, but we all know it really means 'helper' or 'welcomer' which is really nice of these people to give up their own time to take on the role.

But, they are volunteers, and just ordinary people like me and you, so let it go. Its not their fault their volunteer description is offensive.

I respect your opinion Izzy, I think you know that.  But perhaps you've not experienced the effect such a ridiculous title can have on people, especially on writing sites.  I've witnessed these types of things simply ruin several other sites, and these titles are given for a particular reason.

I'm over myself, you can tell this by my NOT needing to be referred to as some sort of special member.  I'm not suggesting anyone follow my lead, nor should they not worship these folks if they feel the need to do so.  I'm merely explaining to those wearing the "E" why I do not respond to them on the forums.  smile

And "unfortunate" is not the correct term, Izzy.  It's not as if the title was random or anything,  Someone on staff had to come up with it.  I fear to ask who it was.  lol

1. IzzyM profile image86

By the same terms, you know my opinion on the term 'elite' as well.

I do not like it - to any casual reader here - it defers a (mostly undeserved) status on someone, anyone, who chose to volunteer.

Oh, by the way, I did volunteer to help newbies, quite a while ago, but was told I could not be considered until 6 months had passed.

"Why?"

"Because someone complained about one if your posts."

"Which post?"

"The one in which you referred to drowning puppies."

Oh, the joke post. The bitch was pregnant, again, but no jokes allowed if you want to volunteer here anytime.

The point is, what the Hell would that have had to do with my ability to welcome new users?

Actually, I can welcome new users anyway. if I want. I can point people in the right direction, if I want.

I've got a handle on this site, even if Google is making a mockery of my efforts.

The point of this post is that I applied.

Not for the title, just because I wanted to help.

You know what, I can still help others just like me, without the title, without the thanks, and without the internal views.

One thing I have learned is that we write for the search engines, not for us.

This is what I stated earlier, Izzy.  No such titles are needed to welcome newbies.  I do this frequently without needing to be honored for it with a misleading label.  As I said, this leads to other things, none of them good for a community of writers.

HA!  And I DO beleive the story of why you weren't allowed to be a greeter.  It fits right in with the mindset of the Elite program theory.  lollol  You're lucky they didn't accept you!  smile

And I'm glad they didn't cause I would not be speaking to you now!  smile

2. WannaB Writer profile image87
            WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I still write for potential readers, not for the search engines, since the search engines tell us to write for readers, not for them. Of course, I am more conscious now to put exact phrases in my work that people might use as search terms, especially in titles, instead of non-keyword phrases merely designed to arouse curiosity about my hubs. I still think writing for search engines detracts from making articles more interesting.

3. Cardisa profile image86

Sorry to intrude on your forum Randy, I thought the forums were open to everyone.

You should have stated in the main text that no 'elites' allowed lol

4. wavegirl22 profile image47
      wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know Randy I have sat back over the last few months and have felt bad for you being in the sandbox and all but after this post of yours I can not stay silent. Personally I can not fathom why anyone with any self respect would constantly moan and groan in a public forum.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I cant remember ever reading anything from Randy that is remotely positive about writing for Hubpages (other then all the time he has invested here) and quite honestly I often wonder why he is still here. Seems some enjoy the constant negative battle cry and just triy to get others behind the nonsense. From what I have seen and again please correct me if I am wrong, but someone that just constantly complains and attacks the site, the staff  and now someone who has an "Elite" badge maybe should take their work elsewhere.

Who is anyone to judge why others do what they do. Maybe if one is dissatisfied with Hubpages they should busy themselves with their own issues instead of being such a constant downer by pointing fingers .. try taking a look at their own work.

Randy I am afraid Izzy was spot on when she said you need to get over yourself.

Personally what you said to Cardisa was as rude as rude can be.

1. wavegirl22 profile image47

lifes a bitch and then u .. .

still no reason to be soooo rude to Cardisa or the site. .. but thanks for lightening the mood para. . and always remember the words of John Greenleaf Whittier . .

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
          When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
          When the funds are low and the debts are high
          And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
          When care is pressing you down a bit,
          Rest, if you must, but don't quit.
          Life is queer with its twists and turns,
          As everyong of us sometimes learns,
          And many a failure turns about
          When he might have won had he stuck it out,
          Dont' give up though the pace seems slow,
          You may succeed with another blow.
          Success is falure turned inside out,
          The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
          And you never can tell how close you are,
          It may be near when it seems so far,
          So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit
          It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
          For all the sad words of tongue or pen,
          The saddest are these: "It might have been!"

Thank you, wavegirl. I needed that. It is indeed grim. But if I go down, I will go down fighting. smile

sad the world we are faced with today. ..  grim is all around. . but there is always some silver linning somewhere. . isnt there?

Yep, things could be even worse. So at least there is that.

for one you learned how to tweet last week smile

But, alas! My tweeting days are coming to an end... lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I'm sorry you have trouble fathoming things. Perhaps it's your own poor fathoming ability?  lol  But you seem okay with giving YOUR opinion of me, don't you?  Aren't YOU complaining about me?  roll  But that's  okay by me.  Far be it from me to attempt to quell your thoughts as you wish to do mine here.

Cardisa, the staff, and probably the rest of the "Elite" (lol) are all aware of my stance on the presumptuous title and I've stated several times I do not wish to be addressed nor converse with anyone who bears the tag.  Sometimes it seems as if they try to do so just because of my request.

I could make a few suggestions as to what YOU could do, but then, I'd be as guilty of having my druthers as you are.  I'm sorry you've only observed what you consider my failings on this site.  I know very little about yours, nor care for that matter.

You have a nice evening now, ya heah!  cool

6. Randy Godwin profile image60

The "Elite"  lol may post wherever they like as I've no problem with this.  However, I'd rather they didn't speak to me nor expect a response as long as they insist on wearing the albatross.

lol lol

I only laugh then...no speaking.....zip big_smile

2. IzzyM profile image86

Ah, but they must first have to prove to staff that they don't drown puppies. and they can never joke about it either.

I mean, whether they can write or not is immaterial, just so long as they don't drown puppies they will be all right.

1. IzzyM profile image86

And Cardisa, my comments have no reflection on you, sweetheart. Glad to help, as always smile

Ha!  I've been banned for jokes several times, Izzy.  But if you become a greeter you are protected from being banned more than ordinary members because it affects your "Eliteness" if you're penalized.  This is obviously a well thought out program.   roll

1. IzzyM profile image86

My 'banned' term for re-applying to the program is long up, but funnily enough I no longer want to join. I don't like the term 'elite' either.

I would happily be a 'host' or a 'greeter' but not an 'elite'.

But I have no problem with those who are, except I feel your pain. You seem to have been banned for nothing in the past.

Yes, I simply cannot fathom why anyone with any self respect would volunteer for such a title.  But there are always those types in any group of people. smile

2. Cardisa profile image86

Hey Izzy, I have not drowned anything lately, almost drowned my self in the shower though, I hope that doesn't affect my eliteness. lol I know the Snake's position on the elite thing so am not surprised or offended by his remarks and you certainly did not offend me either.

The snake is kinda cute and funny too, pity I wear the darn 'e' badge, we would have been great together.....lol

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Guess this is it - http://  my-appetize.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-make-jamaican-jerk-seasoning-and.html

Probably a kid too - no Adsense - but they have stolen my work as well.

Thanks again IzzyM.

8. Randy Godwin profile image60

Still being peppered with spam on my most visited hubs.  How do spammers know which hubs are getting the most traffic anyway?  I wonder if this is going to be an ongoing thing we have to deal with on a daily basis, or is it just me?  yikes

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your most popular articles are getting bombed with spam? 95% of my spam comments are being added to my recipe for strawberries with Frangelico whipped cream. I just got another one today. Sadly, those spammers are just about all the traffic that little hub gets. It's also one of my oldest articles, I think the second one did, if that adds any clues to the mystery.

9. Sally's Trove profile image76
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

No spam in the last three or so days. Seems to be gone now.

Not from mine.  I just deleted an example a few minutes ago, with 4 or 5 previous ones today already.  sad

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I just got another one. Pests...

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Okay, kids - settle down! DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!!

Who wants me to spank Randy? Raise your hand...

Now THAT would be a million-hits utube video if there ever was one.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes a spanking can be fun...  lol

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Wavegirl and Cardisa, I think both of you know that I like you, but I'd like to say a word about Randy. He'll prolly be mad at me for saying this, but he's been mad at me before. I'll survive. lol. Here goes:

Randy isn't as nasty as he sometimes seems on the forums. He had a very bad experience on another writing site, and he's afraid HP will go the same route. I assure you that he has nothing against Cardisa. (If I'm wrong here, Randy will correct me!) His rant is aimed at the "elite" title. Personally, I don't really understand or care for the title, either, but it doesn't much bother me, one way or the other.

Let me put it this way: If Randy found either one of you on the side of the road in a broken-down car, he'd stop and repair it with a whisk broom and a box of pudding! AND he wouldn't charge you a cent. Now, Wavegirl, this opportunity will most likely never present itself to you - I don't foresee Randy heading to NY. But beware, Cardisa - Randy is a frequent visitor to Jamaica! lol

I likewise consider Randy the only cute and fuzzy snake I know.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that I'd go THAT far! lol lol

Thanks Holle.  Some need to slither a mile in my shoes...er... tracks to understand my reaction to Cardisa's post was not meant to personally insult her, just the silly and improper tag  smile

3. Cardisa profile image86

Habee, I know he has nothing against me personally and I do know it's the 'elite' title that he has a problem with and he knows I like him just the same. I wish I knew when he will be visiting Jamaica so I can make sure I break down at the side of the road....lol

13. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

Habee - as always your light shines as bright as the class act that you are.

Randy - we have all heard of your trials and tribulations here as well as the other writing site. And we all have our highs and lows to contend with. Some choose to do it with dignity. Others choose to air their laundry out for all to see. Personally I have nothing against you, but I was mortified when I read what you wrote to Cardisa. Again your issues with someone being Elite have been clearly communicated yet you felt the need to repeat it at Cardisa's expense. I wonder, did it make you feel good to make her feel bad?

Truly I have nothing against you. Your hitting back with my 'fathoming ability' just goes to show me your hand is empty.  Chances are in your favor, continue to keep up your terrific attitude the sandbox is the place you will remain probably until you learn how to play nice..

As they say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . it is a duck. In your case its a snake.

Surely you would have to agree it might be time to take an ax to that chip on your shoulder and embark on a new path and show the world that you have talent as a writer.

Now this is a hoot!  I've known Holle well over 30 years, WG.  She knows me much better than you ever will, but this doesn't keep you from jumping in here with your laughable observations.  lol

Writing "sites" not site, WG.  And my problems with traffic are none of your concern.  If my feelings are so well known then why do the "greeters" still try and converse with me on the forums.  I suggest you jump down their throats for doing so since you've appointed yourself protector of the group.  Better yet, why not join them?  You would fit in perfectly with the mindset required for sporting such a misleading title.  You guys can all sit around and discuss your rainbows, butterflies, and ponies not to mention how much more superior the tag makes you over us "common members. roll

I suggest you not concern yourself with whether my hand is "empty" or not and simply mind your own affairs.  If you believe my time being spent in the sandbox is the result of my attitude towards certain aspects of this site then yes, your ability to "fathom" is perhaps skewed beyond recovery.  But perhaps you are correct, and if so, then I do indeed have a reason to be perturbed at the PTB on HP.  You make the call.     

Very profound!  Did you make this up all by yourself, WG?  Yes, you are indeed qualified to be a member of the "special volunteers."  lol

Why "surely" do I have to agree with you?  Who the heck are you to tell me to do anything, WG?  I've seen no polls in which you have been chosen to speak for anyone but yourself on these forums.  Was there a secret ballot I've missed somewhere, or is this a self appointed role? 

But perhaps you'd rather have a site where everyone simply goes along with things they don't agree with and show no dissent whatsoever when things are clearly not being handled ethically or for the good of the writers themselves.  I can only imagine the state of things here with no one to keep HP honest in their dealings with the writers who furnish the means to keep this place going.  "Yes men" are already in abundance here, with very few bold enough to say anything when things appear to be not quite right. 

Otherwise, you have judges picking winners in contests whom they have mentored as to what they are looking for, as in the last one.  Yes, a mere coincidence if you can convince yourself of it.  And apparently you have no problem doing so.  Be sure and send in that "Elite" application now.  You've paid your dues with your posts on this forum.  I predict a shew in!  lol

Thanks for your advice on what to do about my writing ability.  I promise to give it every bit of the consideration it deserves. roll

2. Cardisa profile image86

Wavegirl, don't take Randy so personally, if you noticed I haven't deleted my post sand I have made light of what he said. He knows I was not offended. He is really a nice person. He just decided not to converse with me since I became an elite and if I should relinquish my eliteness he and I will go back to being buddies and have lots of forum conversations.

The truth is the word elite sends the wrong message and I am hoping the name will change for the unity of the members of the site, until then I like being a volunteer. It gives me the opportunity to see the very newly published hubs before they hit the general public with crap. We sometimes miss some of the spun or stolen content but my reason for joining the team was not to say welcome but to help weed out crap after seeing so many spun content on the site while hopping.

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
        WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I sounds to me as if HubPages elite do the same job angels do on Squidoo, but angels, as far as I can tell from having been one, aren't really very powerful. And in a way that's a good thing, since I was amazed at some lenses that got blessings from other angels. It's all a very subjective business, and it's probably a thankless job, but someone needs to do it.

I honestly have no problem with the job (whatever it is) the greeters do.  I think many of us flag bad content when we find it and I know I welcome new members when I see them,  but there is a line crossed when they are given a title meant to place their abilities above others who do as much, or even more, for the site. 

This does nothing to help the cohesiveness of the community and instead, builds a wall between the "common" members.  Of course, this is the purpose of such a program and certainly HP is aware of it.  If this isn't the case, then they aren't as swift as I had supposed.  smile

Calling someone an "Angel" does not carry the same connotation as the word "Elite" as anyone should be able to understand.  Angels suggest helpfulness.  Elite suggests superiority and anyone should know this.  It makes me wonder just who came up with this brilliant idea for the greeters title.  yikes

14. Randy Godwin profile image60

I do indeed have nothing personal against the greeters.  Just the silly title. smile

15. Randy Godwin profile image60

Wow!  I'm getting hit often today by the spammers!  They must be preparing for July 4th holidays.  It's a shame there isn't some sort of way to penalize these cretins so badly they give up on this stuff.  I really don't see how it gains the companies being promoted anything worth the trouble.  This is especially so when the spam is being placed on articles which subject matter is totally unrelated to the products promoted by the spammers.  Ah well, thanks to HP for the spam filter catching most, if not all, of them.  smile

I wonder should I check all of my hubs for some the filter missed?  Anyone know about this? 

16. Randy Godwin profile image60

Dammit man!  I'm getting spammed every few minutes now like clockwork.  I think I'll just ignore them till I get enough to delete them on the spam filter setting.  Is there no end to this stuff?  sad

It is beginning to look like this is our new reality.

Already deleted about 10 dam spams today.  This is beginning to gripe my asp! sad

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

Yep, I've shut off my comments to outsiders again for awhile. I'd make it permanent, but I do get legit outsider comments now and again.

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Spam sammiches for dinner tonight? Need a recipe? lol

Jesus could have fed twice the multitude of people with the spam I've deleted today! yikes

17. missolive profile image61
    missoliveposted 11 years ago

Spam comments - grrrrr - everyday now.

I get them on the exact same Hub and they are always long foreign comments with multiple links. Never from the same country. I get the impression that particular hub/url was thrown into some sort of, 'post spam here' file. hmm

At least the multiple, 'you so ugly x1,000,000,000' from the Philippines temporarily stopped - lol. On the exact same hub too.

Are the rest of you getting these on the exact same hub or hubs? I scrolled the thread (rather quickly) to see if others had the same issue. Sorta curious.

18. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

I don't get much of it. Probably because I have nowhere near as many followers as you do...

1. missolive profile image61
      missoliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sophia, I'm glad you aren't getting hit with a lot of spam. I'm not sure if followers has anything to do with it though. This stuff is coming in from external sources.

I've been hit twice this morning. Adult boutiques - ohhh la la hmm

19. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I haven't gotten any since I made it that only members of Hubpages can comment.

20. Randy Godwin profile image60

Hmmmm!  I was offline at home for two days with very little spam at all until I signed in this afternoon and suddenly I'm being hit hard again.  Coincidence or not?  yikes

21. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Jeez, comment spammers are banging away big-time today...

22. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

yes. I now have them set to moderate, but I still see spam comments show up on the feed.

23. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I am getting all mine on the same article, also. HP is catching them. I only see them on my feed and just click 'delete forever.' For me it's not too bad, I think I've had two today. How many are y'all getting each day?

Got at least ten yesterday and more today.  Funny how they don't appear unless I'm online and on HP.  It's like they know I'm watching and don't spam when I'm not logged on to HP  Doesn't make sense at all!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)