The First To Die In Movies

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Shakka James profile image60
    Shakka Jamesposted 11 years ago

I have watched so many movies in my time and it never fails that the first to die is always a black person. Or, is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this trend? If so, why do you think this is?

1. DS Duby profile image82
      DS Dubyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It always seems to be the dumb blonde or someone equally insignificant to the movie from what I've seen. Quite honestly I've seen thousands of horror movies and the majority rarely have even 1 black victim.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's an old movie cliche that some people go on about. But it's not that the black person is the first to die, it's just that if there is a black person in the film, they will die at some point; that there is rarely a black guy at the end who makes it out alive. But it just isn't true - not always. Look at Deep Blue Sea or Mindhunters, for instance: black dude survived. Same actor though in LL Cool J - that's another story...

But I'm not so convinced. Like others here have said, there are probably far more white people killed in total in horror films. Someone just happens to notice that one of these victims is black and is all like: "Oh hell no! Whys they gots ta kill da black dude all the time man! What's up wit dat?!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist. smile

3. sweetzara profile image75
      sweetzaraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that on more than one occasion and am not sure why. Can only hazard a guess: Usually it is the minor character that goes first and the body count rises till the hero or the virgin is the only one who survives. Americans tend to think of white characters as more mainstream Americans and every other racial or ethnic groups as "minorities" hence  black people and other non-white characters die before white folks.
      Thats just how it is. smile

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

The most common trend in movies with regards to who dies is usually a meaningless character to the plot of the movie.

I've never payed attention to color in my life, so I wouldn't notice a trend like that. wink

3. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Well, things have changed a lot since the 1980's, when most victims were mainly attractive white teenagers, being bumped off by a dead guy with an ax. Or, someone like Freddy Kruger who gets into your nightmares and does you in. Back then, Black teens were rarely scene.

Although if you have seen Freddy VS Jason, a young Black girl is the only one brave enough to confront the killer at her own demise. There is also a Black male in a Friday the 13th movie that attempts to kick Jason's ass. But typically, a majority of the bumped off cast is white. Usually with a white female being the hero.

I hate violent flicks. I would much rather watch a good comedy. Nobody dies, and the cast is usually a mix of all different types of people. There are also shows where Black actors are the stars, such as the Scary Movie Franchise, Dreamgirls, and The new version of Hairspray.

But, what Cagsil said is correct. The first to die is usually someone who won't have a big role in the film anyways. Like the guys on the old Star Trek, if you haven't seen an episode with that person in it, most likely they will have only a couple lines, and be killed in the first 15 minutes.

4. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

Call me crazy.  People don't really die in movies.  So, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  =-P

Good point

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I stay away from movies if I think someone's going to die in them; so with the movies I see it's usually a matter of them slipping in a relative who dies into a romantic comedy or drama.  I can't even think of a movie I've seen in which it hasn't been a White person (like a grandfather or mother) who dies.  Movies I've seen that focus on Black people or families haven't had anyone die in them at all.

On the other hand, television is something different.  I've seen plenty of both White and Black people die, or be killed, on television; but I have to say I think it's most often White people (at least with the shows I watch that may involve any murders).  (Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Castle, Hawaii Five O - all the more current ones on the major networks.)

6. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

I guess it depends on what type of horror/slash movie it is. Anything involving the devil - it's the priest who get killed first for lack of faith.
    http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf67c53ef0148c80f2a13970c-500wi

1. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh well it's always the Catholic church in those and always whomever the priest or exorcist or unlucky would be hero is has personal inner demons that get used against him and he loses faith blah blah....

1. brimancandy profile image79
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The priest doesn't die in Scary Movie2, but James Woods plays the role of father McFeely very well, and he's pretty darn funny too. What makes it even more fun to me is that my last name is McFeely, so he's like a long lost funny relative or something like that.

I love it when the possessed girl, says "your mother is in bed with with me, should I leave her a message, I'll be sure that she gets it."
        And the priest replies. "I know Mom! Would you get out of there!"
        And, this woman appears from under the sheets and says
        "Your No Fun!"" LOL!

1. ptosis profile image67
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The best part I liked was when he was on the toilet and all the flies are on the window. He is gesturing as if he is being tortured then sighs....in relief. Yes silly - but funny anyway.

7. Radikum profile image61
    Radikumposted 11 years ago

A noticeable trend within a trend. The deaths you find in the horror genre are very generic and cliche nowadays and were recently exploited to great effect in 2011's "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" and 2012's "The Cabin in the Woods." Outside of those two films, most horror cliches are necessitous (or seem to be) for the story to work in some form or another.

8. heavenleigh707 profile image72
    heavenleigh707posted 11 years ago

I've noticed that too - and I think it's terrible that it seems to be a pattern in many film plots. Geeeeez! So it's not just me thinking this? It feels very offensive to me, as if there is the subliminal message that one race is more "expendable" than another???? I think it's very offensive and strange.

9. DS Duby profile image82
    DS Dubyposted 11 years ago

What movies are you watching that this seems to be a trend cause I just don't see it. Other than in a few comedy type horror films where it would be used as a running joke throughout the movie it doesn't really happen or am I just missing something? Feel free to name a few of the movies your speaking of cause I have no problem being proven wrong I just personally haven't seen this happening.

10. profile image0
    AaronHubb89posted 11 years ago

Yeah, I notice a trend with the wealthy, snobbish white people or the the ditzy blonde hottie...I can usually spot who dies and who doesn't.

absolutely, my wife and I make a competition out of guessing who will die first.

1. profile image0
        AaronHubb89posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you watch The Dark Knight Rises? I kept trying to guess, but I got everything wrong lol

Not yet but I'm really anxious to see it I just haven't had time yet.

2. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My husband and I do the same thing, lol.  But with us--we always notice that the smoker is usually the first one to go...and the next, and the next, haha. 

We watch these type of movies all the time, and I can't say that I've noticed that a black person is always the one to go...usually, they more often are one of the last, or the complete hero of the story.

agreed

11. Alexander Mark profile image79
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't say they are always first to die, but usually it doesn't take long. If there is one black supporting character, he usually dies making the white person a leftover hero. It's ironic that the very place that you would think exemplifies progressive values (Hollywood), still continues to play the same old tired plots.

Here's how I see it:

Monster destroys group of people,
    group fights back as they start to dwindle,
    black person dies pretty much first,
    good looking white guy defeats monster,
    good looking white girl defeats monster when it resurrects,
    guy gets girl,
    everyone's happy.

I think they do this to create empathy through white-guilt. It's on the same level as a cliche plot.

12. profile image58
    calvinmarkposted 11 years ago

Me and my friends same thing. Because which work i want  to do they  already done. Some times i watch movies with my friends in home. Saw movie is showing and we all die to watch. I am just kidding.

http://www.movies100.biz/

13. heatblast92 profile image63
    heatblast92posted 11 years ago

It would help somewhat to give us a specific genre of the movies you watched in which you claimed the first to receive a bitter end is invariably black. I don't recall watching any movies of said nature; then again, like the first commenter, I don't usually take note of whatever distinguishing features the deceased should have, aside from the bleeding obvious, being dead.

1. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In any TV series, the main actors not going to die - only the extras such as in the original Start Trek it would be the red shirts worn by Starfleet security officers who frequently die during episodes.

Don't wear red shirts!
      http://derbyimages.woot.com/2171015/76c520b7-c794-4e29-9335-7692e3ca5f3d.jpg
      http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/products/16308652/views/1,width%3D378,height%3D378,appearanceId%3D376/Red-target-Women-s-T-Shirts.png

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They were the "ensigns".  We always used to say that we would never want to be an ensign on a Star Trek episode because they were doomed from the start, lol... lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)