what movies have made you cry over the years?

Jump to Last Post 51-88 of 88 discussions (138 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Dances with Wolves
    The Bellstone Fox
    A Whale for the Killing
    Ghost
    Bambi

Plus hundreds more.

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

It'll not make you cry but it's touchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASrRZ_XMR6s

3. nina64 profile image68
    nina64posted 12 years ago

Every time I've watched "The Bridges of Madison County" with Clint Eastwood and Meryle Streep, I always have a box of Kleenex on hand to wipe away my tears. That movie seems to speak to the heart of women.

4. DonnaCosmato profile image86
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Wow, there are some awesome tear-inspiring movies showcased here like "The Bridges of Madison County," "Pay It Forward" and too many others to list by name. My all time fav, which makes me cry even though I know how it ends, features some of my favorite cinema stars like Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer - the 1980's release of "Somewhere in Time." Thanks for prompting me to remember it; it's such a wonderful yet bittersweet love story.

5. Terri Meredith profile image68
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

I cry every time I watch "For The Boys" starring Bette Midler and James Caan.  It's a story outlining the heroine's climb to fame as a singer who entertains US troops through the years and wars (Bob Hope style)beginning with WWII through Vietnam.  I know the movie backwards and forwards, know exactly when the tears will start and yet, I'm never prepared enough to be able to stifle them. 

I cry over "The Notebook" and "Message In a Bottle" too.  But "For The Boys" is probably my all time best pick for tear jerker series!

6. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

First time I watched the Lion King, I think I was about seven. I cried when Mufasa was killed by Scar, obviously it was through the loss of a great character, but it was Simba's reaction as well, along with the musical score. Fortunately though, it had a happy ending, and I remember celebrating in the cinema, before being told to be quiet. Even when I've watched it fairly recently, the Mufasa death scene still stuns me into silence; I don't cry anymore though.

7. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I must confess... Ice Age 1 really got to me!  sad

I knew that acorn! sad

8. gabrielthomas72 profile image61
    gabrielthomas72posted 12 years ago

There's a few, I'm embarrassed to say, but it's true! After watching 10 hours of The Lord Of The Rings, when Aragorn (now King) kneels to the Hobbits, Frodo et al, that works.
    And also when Julia Roberts does her 'I'm just a girl.....' speech to Hugh Grant in Notting Hill (guilty pleasure). Truly embarrassed now!!

9. athena09 profile image61
    athena09posted 12 years ago

Hatchi - I cried so much every time the dog was waiting at the station at the last part.

Immortal Beloved - It's so beautifully depressing I never watched again. but then I think I wanted to feel more of Beethoven so I watched >>>

Copying Beethoven - and then I cried again when the girl was the one conducting the orchestra.

1. Terri Meredith profile image68
      Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, how could I forget about Hatachi?  My granddaughter and I spent a weekend in a movie-fest.  Hatachi was the last movie we watched...because neither of us could stop crying!  When we did, my granddaughter looked at me and said, "I can't take anymore.  Can we do something else?"  She's 12.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Copying Beethoven made me sob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkj0TeZe … re=related

Immortal Beloved is so tragically beautiful, how can one not cry?

So many movies have made me cry .. 

I Am Sam

Gladiator

Homeward Bound

Schindler's List

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

How could I forget one of the saddest ever for me.

Lassie Come Home

11. Dallas Matier profile image86
    Dallas Matierposted 12 years ago

'Grave of the Fireflies'.

12. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 12 years ago

For me it was It's A Wonderful Life, Titanic, and the original Ice Castles movie.

13. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I probably am the world's worst movie date, because I'll cy at the drop of a hat over almost anything.  Here are ones I can remember boo hooing over:

Bambi
    Toy Story 3
    Lion King
    Up
    The Notebook
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Harry Potter (when Dobby dies)
    Ole' Yeller
    Homeward Bound
    After The Fall
    Autumn In New York
    Nights In Rodanthe
    Forrest Gump
    Steel Magnolias

Oh yes, the list goes on and on!

14. NayNay2124 profile image83
    NayNay2124posted 12 years ago

The Deer Hunter
    Cooley High
    A Star is Born (Barbara Streisand)

15. KaisMom profile image80
    KaisMomposted 12 years ago

"Oh, Auntie Em, There's no place like home." (Does it to me every time from the Wizard of Oz.)
    When Debra Winger dies in Terms of Endearment. When Julia Roberts dies in Steel Magnolias.
    When Jimmy Stewart " . . .wants to live again . . ." in It's a Wonderful Life. And of course, when Owen Wilson has to put Marley down in Marley and Me.

16. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Well I'm a hopeless romantic so I cry the most during movies like Z, Natural Born Killers and The Seven Samurai.

17. Nickalooch profile image59
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

I'd have to think really hard about it but the tv series Lost finale always chokes me up a little bit. 
    movies though, off the top of my head id have to say Marley and Me, and surprisingly 50/50. All of them struck an emotional chord within me at some point

18. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 12 years ago

The first movie I saw that made me cry was Walk on the Wild Side, when the woman played by Capucine died.  It was unexpected and tragic.

I cried in Bambi, Forrest Gump (when his love interest got on the bus and went to California with another man), and in Lord of the Rings, when Haldir died.

19. scruffy5533 profile image59
    scruffy5533posted 12 years ago

I cried for Melies in Hugo.

20. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

Truly Madly Deeply was the film i remember that made me cry forever, even now when i think about it i shed a tear....

21. Eazy_E profile image59
    Eazy_Eposted 12 years ago

Anakin' yelling I hate you to Obi-Wan is a total tear jerker haha.

22. Teresa Schultz profile image66
    Teresa Schultzposted 11 years ago

What wonderful comments and reminders of movies that have made me cry over the years. I tried to think of a movie or two that nobody has yet mentioned in these comments, but I do have to repeat The Bridges of Madison County - it really stands out for me as one of my favorite tear jerkers. One that I can think of that I don't yet see mentioned here is How to Tame Your Dragon.

23. profile image0
    zerbini87posted 11 years ago

I am going to have to be honest and admit that Toy Story 3 made me cry.  What a great family classic movie with excellent actors.

24. Aneegma profile image69
    Aneegmaposted 11 years ago

Lord of the Rings - Especially Return of the King. I cried proper tears after I first watched it at the Cinema.

25. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 11 years ago

Remember Me!

26. profile image0
    Lady Aya 1884posted 11 years ago

Titanic and  A Walk to Remember

27. MikeR1 profile image73
    MikeR1posted 11 years ago

Well guys really don't cry (LOL) but some films that have really emotionally gotten to me over the years are a recent romantic comedy-drama I just watched this week called Another Chance (1989), also Excalibur (1981), plus Marley & Me (2008) and Barry Lyndon (1975).  These films deal with having it all and losing it all, the loss of love, loss of a beloved dog, wasting one's life away.  They are all excellent films but emotionally get to you as the best films can make you feel for the characters and be able to relate to them.

28. cavallo profile image62
    cavalloposted 11 years ago

Was I the only one to see 'Ring of Bright Water' ?

29. Maria Price profile image56
    Maria Priceposted 11 years ago

The Notebook
    The Pursuit of Happiness
    A Walk to Remember

30. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Gone With The Wind
    The Green Mile
    Schindler´s List
    Angelas Ashes
    Love Story
    West Side Story
    Forest Gump and many others that I can´t remember the titles.

31. profile image0
    AaronHubb89posted 11 years ago

Green Mile
    Radio
    The Notebook
    Moulin Rouge
    Romeo+Juliet
    almost cried on X-Men First Class (James McAvoy and Michael Fassbener's fault)
    almost cried on The Amazing Spider-Man (Martin Sheen and Andrew Garfield's fault)
    Will more than likely cry on The Dark Knight Rises (cause it's ending)
    lol
    I know there have been more this is just all I can think of.

32. libby1970 profile image69
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

City of Angels, A walk to remember, The Green Mile, Titanic, Message in a Bottle, and a bunch of others I can't seem to recall at the moment.

33. Dracula's Wolfy profile image60
    Dracula's Wolfyposted 11 years ago

The Green Mile
    The Pursuit Of Happyness
    The Road
    Seven Pounds
    I Am Sam
    Dead Poets Society
    Armageddon
    HP: Order Of The Phoenix
    Tuck Everlasting
    My Sister's Keeper
    American History X
    Meet Joe Black

34. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I am a hopeless Romantic, so here are some where I wept a little. Very sad films, of Course the one that sticks in my mind most is the last few minutes of Brokeback Mountain.

Here are a couple more. (Mostly love stories)

Long Time Companion
    Torch Song Trilogy
    Love Valor Compassion
    Dreamgirls
    Shelter
    The object of my affection

I also felt teary eyed during Avatar. It reminds me way too much about what our own government does to get what it wants, without thinking about what might happen as a result.

When I was a kid, I cried during Disney's Fox and the hound. It was very sad, and even younger yet, around 4 or 5 I used to cry during Chitty Chitty bang bang whenever the child catcher showed up, and also cried during Rudolf the Red nosed reindeer over the showmonster. Now I just laugh my but off!

35. JoshuaMa profile image61
    JoshuaMaposted 11 years ago

Dont cry much during movies but here is a few that got me.
    Choas theory
    My sisters keeper
    My girl
    Notebook
    Passion of the Christ
    Love actually

36. profile image53
    ColetteDD2posted 11 years ago

Ok too many to count/remember.  But two that made me blubber
    1.  Born Free
    2.  Beaches

37. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

too many

esp

the notebook at the end sobbing

superman - in awe as he rescues lois from falling off the building

38. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I can cry over any movie that tugs at my heart, from Shirley Temple in Heidi to Apollo 13 to Toy Story 3.  Guess I'm an easy mark for Hollywood and the makers of Kleenex.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)