I'm not a nasty person because I'm atheist

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image56
    nonto21posted 11 years ago

I cry at movies (I'm a man).

I do my best to support other humans, no matter what they believe. Though I may disagree with their way.

I love my girlfriend.

I just don't believe in God. What about that is so bad?

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe all of us have a right to believe in whatever we choose. I am a Christian and its not our place to judge others for what they believe. But when it comes to non-believing I am still trying to figure out how people think we were created and how the heavens in earth were made.

It always becomes a heated discussion, so get ready I am sure people will follow closely behind. Just remember to breathe, don't get upset and answer all in a positive manner. Glad you are bold enough to say what you feel, all of us are entitled to our own beliefs. smile

1. profile image52
        jah1zposted 11 years agoin reply to this

.....and this is a Christian forum. Smh.

Where's the love......

1. profile image56
          nonto21posted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. It's a religion and philosophy forum.

It's not confined to your demographic.

1. profile image52

......clever wording.

1. profile image56

It's not clever, it's true.

1. profile image52

No, it's not true, it's clever.

*demographic*

1. profile image56

Religion and philosophy, the term, is not confined to a particular religion or philosophy. And christianity is a demographic.

Sorry to be so forward, it's my nature.

1. profile image52

Laymen terms, you are correct. What other religion is spoken about in this forum besides christianity? And is not the philosophies here, manifesting christianity on this forum?

And if "christianity is a demographic," ...... is it confining to mine or not?

(You'll get better though.....)

2. profile image56

+1

1. profile image56

Truth is. I am a nasty person, evil and whicked in every way.

I've murdered, plundered and raped.

I did everything I could to experience evil.

Now I know what being a good person is about; being able to look at it and regret it.

Now I can move forward.

Into what? I and I alone will find out.

If it's a life of regrets, I don't know.

To help others avoid my ways? Definitely.

But do I need God for that?

2. AEvans profile image70
          AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think anyone thinks you are a nasty person because you are an atheist?

1. profile image56

The reoccuring theme; Hell.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

*Sighs*

So basically all of your opinions of all Christianity and Christians are based on someone once telling you something about hell?

Is that why so many ideas you are expressing about Christianity seem so bigoted?

1. Jane Bovary profile image85
            Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's in the handbook isn't it? Whether or not individual Christians ignore Hell, they're still willing to believe in a holy book which would be so morally bereft that it would include a concept like Hell.That for me would be enough to cast the whole thing into question.

1. profile image56

+1

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

I guess that depends on your interpretation of the handbook.  If you choose to find hell in there and use it to either threaten non-believers (if you are a believer) or use it to prove that the bible is "morally bereft" (if you are a non-believer) then I suppose you will likely find what you are looking for.  It IS your interpretation though... and like most interpretations we make the interpretation shows more about the person drawing it then what they are drawing it from.

If that would be enough for you to cast the whole thing into question then likely you weren't designed to accept any of it in the first place and are looking for reasons to dismiss it.  That's fine BTW.  It's human nature.

1. profile image52

So, a Bible verse makes a statement and its sliced to different interpretation....... let's back up. Every verse/scripture tells One truth. Interpretation is one thing. Misleading is another. The fault of Man is intentional.

I disagree.  Jesus taught in parables.  IMO his messages were meant to be interpreted by the one who heard them and applied to his/her life.  Each individual may have one truth but mankind in general does not.  There is no "fault of Man" there is just the faults of each man.  Each person walks his own path and faces his own faults.  Therefore each man who follows the bible takes what they need to walk their unique path from the book.

1. profile image56

Do you agree that it's not the only way?

Could I be a decent human without it?

These questions aren't meant to offend you, I'm just curious.

I reallize that wordings can be quite ambiguous, so I can be quite explicit in my meanings, just for the sake of avoiding confusion.

2. profile image52

Jesus taught in parables to the masses. He didn't teach in parables to the Disciples for it was given to them to "know." Divine Wisdom, maybe....or inspired through the Holy Spirit.

So, again, the verse/scriptures is One truth. Interpretation is one thing. Misleading is another. The fault of Man is intentional.

You say there is no fault of Man but fault(s) of each man ---- (double the faults is fine by me).

And if each man that follows the Bible (takes what they need) to walk their paths, is not their faults evidently so?

2. Jane Bovary profile image85
                Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You might be right that I'm not designed for it but I think you're kidding yourself when you say *if you choose to find Hell in there*.  It is in there and it's just intellectual dishonesty to pretend it's down to a person's character whether or not they read Hell as Hell. You can choose to overlay warmth and fuzziness over all the moral failures in the Bible but please don't try and pretend your interpretation is superior when it's actually little more than a cherry-picking whitewash.

Is it a character flaw to take the Bible at face value and read it is it was written? I don't see why it would be. Admittedly your version of Christianity is a lot easier to live with but I can't see it as honest. Sorry, I know I'm probably going to offend you there and actually from what I've read in these forums, you seem like a great gal but I'd be lying if I didn't write what I really believe about this.

I don't... of course smile... feel that it's intellectual dishonesty at all.  I'm not a literalist.  I see pretty much everything in the Bible as metaphorical. As I need no metaphores to tell me that things are bad for me if I don't at least try to follow Jesus's teachings then the hell metaphores have no meaning for me.

I never said my interpretation was superior.  I admit freely that I cherry-pick the hell out of the Bible (forgive the pun).  To me there aren't really any moral failures in the Bible... there are only verses to find inspiration and verses that do not apply to my life.  If there is a moral failing the failing is with the reader of the book and what he/she chooses to gleam from the text.  For example... if a homophobe is searching for verses to back his opinion then he will find them.  The verses may not have been intended to mean what he concludes they mean but he will use them anyway.  If someone is looking for reasons to forgive he will find them in the bible as well.

No it isn't a character flaw... but it is an impossibility.  There is no face value... not in the Bible and not in ANY written text.  The reader will always affect the writing because each reader brings their own perspective into the interpretation. 

No you didn't offend me at all.

1. profile image56

You're actually pretty alright.

Sorry that I ever got under your skin.

It's my way of asking to burry the hatchet.

Would you be willing to do so?

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing.

4. kess profile image60
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you not ask and exhausted this kinda question before...

1. profile image56

How am I supposed to approach that question?

It almost baiting.

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question was meant so that you can do a little introspection, if that is negative it because you make it so.
          And have you not perfected the art of baiting.
          Your apparent confusion already tells me you know exactly when I am coming from and response it really not required...but introspection will work to your benefit.

1. profile image56

I live in my own skin, introspection is a given.

How do I appear confused?

Your question/comment was too vaigue to follow.

If I am a fisherman (which I'm not), I'd be a master baiter.

2. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 11 years ago

It's not 'bad' because you ought to be religious and you're not, it's 'bad' because of the reality of our circumstance and the real persons and relationships that are hurting:

You're (I imagine) thinking of this something along this line; 'there's 20 tons of different religious beliefs, I believe what I believe, I'm not hurting others and am willing to let others believe as they choose, so, what's so bad about me not believing in God' - but, from God's perspective it's more like your parents desired you, gave you birth, cared for you, worried over you, provided for you, love you, etc, etc, etc, and one day you simply disavow them asserting they are not your parents and demanding that they leave you be and not claim any relationship with you at all. Your brothers and sisters and friends, etc, would all count your conduct to be 'bad'.

God, and Christianity, are not at all about belonging to the 'right' religion, it's not about doing some certain set of religious things (going to church, lighting candles, praying in just the right manner, etc) - God and Christianity are about establishing right relationships and unity and love . . . so, if you deny and reject that reality (not some religious tenet but real circumstance of your existence) you grieve God, most especially if He sacrificed His beloved Son to bring you to Himself and you continue to deny and reject Him - that's why unbelief is 'bad'.

1. profile image56

I was christian and I held God in high regard, still kinda do.

I can appreciate wanting to believe God to be a wonderful and nice being.

But I can't appreciate being told that I'm a burden to a God that had immediately demed me unworthy.

One can't say that God is eternally unchanging, when God clearly changed his mind.

Can you see the confusion?

1. MickeySr profile image79
        MickeySrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I follow you; when did God "immediately" deem you unworthy, and what has He "changed His mind about"?

Also; you understand that, according to men's religions, you can align yourself with Hinduism, Islam, Methodism, Lutheranism, Baptistism, etc, etc, and if you align with any of those camps within Christendom then you might identify yourself a 'Christian' (as opposed to a Muslim or Jew, etc) - but, according to Scripture you are not a Christian until and unless you have been given new, eternal, spiritual life by God . . . and that doesn't go away or change or end. So, speaking in men's religious terms, you can follow (say) Presbyterianism, or attend a church, or come from a religious home, etc, and then turn away from all that - but that doesn't mean you were a Christian and now you're not.

Just like you can move out of their house, you can resent your parents, you can change your name, etc - but you can't become unborn from them, you remain their child and they your parents no matter how you feel about it or how you might ignore their presence, etc .  . . in a similar manner the Bible talks about Christianity in terms of a second birth, a spiritual birth . . . once you're a Christian, in truth, you cannot become unborn again again.

This is why some Christians will assert that Christianity is not a religion, but rather, it's a relationship.

1. profile image56

A sour relationship, at least for me.

Yes, but; when did God "immediately" deem you unworthy, and what has He "changed His mind about"?

1. profile image56

The new covenant doesn't mean anything to you?

When did the eternaly unchanging God, decide that his wrath wasn't worth it?

The contradictions keep stacking up.

The new covenant is the fulfillment of the old covenant, God did not change . . . the bible tells us that the law is our tutor to bring us to Christ, the plan from the beginning was to prepare the way for the fulfillment of an eternal covenant with an initial earthly covenant - God didn't change at all. We assert that the Bible contradicts itself when we take it one piece at a time out of it's own context . . . it's when men don't see the unity of the whole of it that they cry it's full of contradictions.

1. profile image56

Hey! Being a reformed christian, I have a pretty good idea of what the bible entails or is eluding to. To say I'm ignorant of my own argument, is only ignorance on your part.

I'm asking that you defend your position, attacking mine isn't helping this discussion to move forward. If I point out contradictions, it's up to you to find these contradictions and understand what exactly it is I'm talking about.

The fact that things are stated so explicitely in the bible, would entail that God is an eternaly unchanging character.

So. Why did he change his mind?

That was the question that was asked. I didn't ask that you defend your logic, with an illogical argument.

See my point?

nonto21, the original question here was "I just don't believe in God. What about that is so bad?" and I was contributing my own understanding of what's so bad about not believing in God. namely, that because there actually is a God it's 'bad' (like asserting 2+2=5 is 'bad') to deny the truth, and that because God is a person (rather than a force or idea) desiring relationship it's 'bad' (like rejecting your parents is 'bad') to deny Him.

If I present an answer to a question I think it's reasonable that I suggest that my answer is valid or that I "defend my logic" a bit. In one breath you say "I'm asking that you defend your position" and in another you say "I didn't ask that you defend your logic" . . . I'm not trying to bother you, but i am a bit confused with how you would like to proceed.

As to the matter of answering your question regarding contradictions' how can I "find these contradictions and understand what exactly it is I'm (you're) talking about" if I reject the notion that there exists any contradictions? You asserted that the New Covenant contradicts the Old Covenant, that God declares himself unchanging yet has observable changed - how am I supposed to resolve or be puzzled my a contradiction I don't believe exists . . . my response was that there is no change, your notion and assertion of a contradiction is erroneous, the Old Covenant was always to be preparation for the New Covenant and the New Covenant was from the beginning to be the fulfillment of the Old Covenant . . . there was no change in God, there is not contradiction for me to address.

2. profile image0
                  Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So the bible doesn't contradict itself it's just we need to see the whole thing together to properly understand it. That is a nice way to get around the contradictions, in other words you refuse to see contradictions.

1. profile image56

I still haven't gotten an answer, which tells me, he see's them.

2. self absorbed profile image60
      self absorbedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what about all the people who are born into third world poverty or children who grow up in severely abusive homes,  good people who don't hurt anyone, who suffer agonizing lives from birth to death.  If they do not believe does this make them "bad" even though god was not a "good parent" to them?

1. profile image56

Good response

2. MickeySr profile image79

I was talking about "the reality of our circumstance" - you raise a couple of points quite separate from my point. I was asserting that because there actually is a God and this is not just a matter of choosing a particular man-made religion to follow, that this is why it's 'bad' to resist and reject Him, because it's not merely a matter of ideas but is a matter of real persons and real relationships, etc.

You're not (in your reply) asserting evidence or reasoning that addresses my 'because there really is a God' point - you're asking, basically, 'what if you don't understand or like the way God does things'? and, you're asserting you're notion of what 'good' is or should be.

My initial response would be; certainly living a life of misery and hurt doesn't certify that someone will be a 'good' person - who says or how do we know the people born into poverty or abuse you introduce are 'good'? and who says or how do we know that God has not been 'good' to them? These are assumption on your part that you then use as accusations against God. I have no doubt that a young child being taken by his parents for a flu shot imagine that his parents are being mean to him - but we, on the other side of that action, know that they are in fact being good to him.

It's no fun, at the time, to sit in a dentist's chair - but afterward it's helpful and good for us to have done so. we live in linear time, one moment flowing another and preceding the one about to appear - God exists in eternity, the absence of time, an ever-present now . . . when we're with Him we will be and have been and will be in that ongoing instant, that ever-present now, and the sufferings of this world will be nothing, we will look at them only as that which has brought us to Him.

I'm saying that because there really is a God it is 'bad' to deny and resist and reject the idea of God - if we just don't like Him, if we count our own notion of 'good' to be superior to His, if we think He should do things our way, etc, that is a different discussion. My point here is; it's 'bad' to be an atheist because atheist denies the reality of God and God is in fact real . . . it has nothing to do with following a particular religion, it doesn't matter if your a nasty person or a decent person, it doesn't matter if you support other's freedom to believe what they choose, etc, etc - it's 'bad' to deny and reject God because God is the creator and sustainer of all that exists, it's 'bad' because there actually is a God, it's 'bad' in a similar manner that it's 'bad' to assert that 2 + 2 = 5.

1. profile image56

Using incorrect, irrational math is not going to convince the unconvinced.

The idea that God loves me but is willing to damn me regardless of my achievements, is a morally bankrupt God.

A God that says he loves his creation, would never destroy it or deme it unworthy.

Would you order your children to kill?

Would you kill your own child?

"Using incorrect, irrational math is not going to convince the unconvinced."

I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm not expecting you (or anyone) to drop whatever it is you believe and adopt my beliefs to be your own - I'm merely stating my case, presenting my beliefs as valid and reasonable, and declaring the truth of what I believe in a culture that thinks it knows what I believe but has concocted it's own version of 'Christianity' and then faults me for believing it (when I don't believe 'your' version of 'Christianity' at all).

nonto21, the world has changed, I'm not trying to 'convince' you I'm right and you're wrong hoping you will abandon your belief and take-up my belief - I'm simply presenting the case that I am not foolish to believe what I believe, that I'm not merely old fashioned, that I'm not emotionally needy and lacking in the boldness to think other than what I've been told, that I own a good working mind and am zealous to think for myself, etc.

I'm not trying to convince you I'm right - I'm merely offering my own understanding and suggesting that it's not reasonable to instantly dismiss what I believe as categorically the consequence of a frail intellect living in fear under the dominion of some tyrannical clergy.

"The idea that God loves me but is willing to damn me regardless of my achievements, is a morally bankrupt God."

This is the ultimate 'bad' of man - judging God. God's whole point (with the covenants and the cross, etc) is to say 'I made you to live My paradise and enjoy My love forever, but I am the eternal Spirit and you are created material creatures - however, I've prepared a way for you to become more, to become like Me . . . I will take upon Myself human nature and put My own divine Spirit within you and we will be united together forever" and our response is 'who are you to say I'm not good enough, look at my "achievements", I deserve to be in your paradise just like I am!'.

nonto21, If you were separate from this planet on a paradise planet where everything was always eternally selfless and good and love, would you want to import any humanity into your paradise?! The history of man's 'achievements' is a history of belligerence, selfishness, hostility, greed, violence, etc, etc . . . yet, God does want to import humanity into His paradise, through the spiritual new birth, and then we turn around and blame God for the evils we do to one another while we shake our fist at Him crying that He should take us as we are and is a mean god to judge us.

"A God that says he loves his creation, would never destroy it or deme it unworthy."

Again, you've got it all figured out? You should be judging the eternal Spirit who has created all that is? God should do things your way . . ? . . I'm sure to some degree and in your own manner you are just like me - I'm not as comfortable maneuvering around in the dark as I am in the light, if I go too long without a hot dog I get woozy, i used to me tiny and someone had to feed me and change my diaper, if the doctor tells me I need medication I hope it helps me but I don't know what's going on inside me, if someone says a poem I write sucks it hurts me feelings, if I want to know who Andrew Jackson's secretary of state i have to look it up, I walk around on a ball floating in space and I've never left it - yet, if there is a god, an eternal spirit who created and sustains everything that exists, He should do things my way . . !?

"Would you order your children to kill?"
            "Would you kill your own child?"

Again, I am not God, I don't know the beginning from the end, I'm not unfolding my eternal plan and purpose, I did not create I pro-created and none of this is mine. But nonto21, the mere fact that you suggest that ordering your child to kill or killing your own child is a bad thing suggests that there is a God, there is a morality that we all commonly recognize, there is a right & wrong, good & bad . . . where would such a notion come form if there is no God?

1. profile image56

The conditions of suffering.

2. self absorbed profile image60

I think I actually addressed your point quite well “from God's perspective it's more like your parents desired you, gave you birth, cared for you, worried over you, provided for you, love you, etc., etc., etc.,” and I did not mean to say (sorry if I was not clear) nor do I believe that believe that people born into poverty or abuse, should automatically be deemed “good”.  People should be deemed “good” by their actions and how they treat others, “treat others as you would like to be treated”.  Why is god not held to these same standards?
          “A young child being taken by his parents for a flu shot” is a far cry from a young child who experiences severe abuse, there are many documented cases of children being raped, starved and denied any sort of humanity (denied basic medical attention such as “flu shots”).  So hypothetically a person who grew up in these conditions grows up to be, let’s say a social worker, who works hard to help children in the same situation, is a productive member of society and never hurts others, does not believe in god.  They are “bad” in god’s eyes if they do not accept his existence? Life may just be a small blip in all eternity, yet living a life, where you are only shown cruelty and hardship probably feels like an eternity to those living it, wouldn’t you think?
          If all that matters in life is “belief”, then life is really just a sick twisted game isn’t it.

1. profile image56

+1

Don't think I could have artculated that in such a profound manner. Thank you for the enlightening comment.

1. self absorbed profile image60

Thank you nonto21:) Also in response to your hub topic; I definitely don't think that you are a nasty person because you don't believe in god;)

1. profile image56

Well thank you.

I like your pinache.

3. profile image56
    nonto21posted 11 years ago

Mathematic logic.

The 0 has an infinite value of 0. It's the .264 of something else that offsets 0. 0 is an irrational number, in that it has no true value with which to measure. So, if God created this from nothing, what materials did he use?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)