Are We Living In a Culture of Death?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (42 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

I'm not very good in the forums with debating, but this following article struck me and I've heard it before about how our culture is, and I find it very interesting to say the least. What do you think the current impact of our society's ways is influencing acts of violence? Even if you don't believe in God, don't you think that it's on a rise overall? Your thoughts...

From liveprayer.com

"The real cause of the Colorado theater massacre. After listening to the tortured explanations the last few days for the horrific and senseless killings at the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado last week, let me share with you the REAL answer to the question people are asking, why? That answer is simple. We are literally living in an environment that nurtures acts of violence like this, and I am shocked we don't see them occur more often. For the past two generations we have cultivated a culture of death. Couple that with the purposeful removal of God from every aspect of public life, is it any wonder why people commit these types of horrific acts of violence?

The media, Hollywood, TV, the internet, have for several decades now mocked and demeaned people of faith, and fought to exclude a Biblcial worldview of daily life. In its' place, they have proffered every type of Godless act. God's Holy Institution of marriage and the family has been perverted and decimated. We have the better part of two generations who have never been to church and thus have no faith background. Those people have grown up from birth being exposed to every kind of evil in this world, and indoctrinated to believe everything God's Word stands against. It is in this evil and sinful environment that diminishes the value of human life we are now living.

Do you want an example? It is terrible that 12 people went to a place as innocent as a movie theater and lost their life. However, did you even consider for a moment, that in the past 24 hours another 4,000 innocent babies were slaughtered in this nation? NO? Don't feel too bad, 99%+ didn't either. We mourn during these horrible incidents where people lose their life, but never once consider we are killing 4,000 innocent babies in this nation alone every 24 hours. We live in a culture of death!!!

That culture of death hangs over this nation like a black cloud! God created man never to die. Physical and spiritual death were never part of God's plan for man. However, it was man, exercising his God-given free will that introduced both forms of death into the human experience. Death is from the pits of hell itself, while life is from God. Satan comes to KILL, steal, and destroy and is synonymous with death. It is through faith in Jesus Christ that man is promised everlasting life and conquers death. Christ came to give life and life abundantly and He is synonymous with life.

Sadly, this has become a nation that has embraced, even glorifies death. Because we have separated ourselves so far from God, we no longer value life. Life is no longer viewed as special or treated as sacred. Many people ask me why I talk about abortion so often. It is because people have become numb and desensitized to death! We have simply come to live with the fact that we practice legalized infanticide and we don't even give it a second thought.

We read in the Bible how Herod, after the birth of Jesus, sent his men to kill every baby under the age of two years. They literally ripped babies out of the arms of the mothers and killed them on the spot. Even though I have read that passage of Scripture 1,000 times, each time I read it in horror. What kind of monster would do such a thing to innocent babies? Yet, we are no better than Herod. Our President, the figurehead of our nation, is another "Herod." He is the embodiment of this culture of death as he supports and advocates the killing of innocent babies. He will insure during his time in office that the practice of infanticide continues in this nation without any restrictions.

Children are born into this culture of death and brainwashed from birth that life has no meaning. Through the media that bombards them with images of violence and death, to the games they play, they are desensitized to death from birth. Just 20 minutes from the Liveprayer offices, a 9-year-old boy hung himself in his closet with a couple of belts after dinner. In Arizona, an 8-year-old shot and killed his father and his father's friend. This was not an accidental shooting, but a deliberate act of murder. Teen and child suicide, teens involved in premeditated murder, are both on the rise in this nation.

I love you and care about you so much. Please wake up!!! We not only live in, but we accept this culture of death that hangs over our nation. Jesus came to deliver us from death. Jesus won the victory over death. We do not have to accept this black cloud of death that hangs over our land. It is time Christians took our stand and loudly, boldly, visibly proclaimed LIFE! Children are growing up without any understanding of where life came from and how precious it is. So it is no wonder why they have embraced death to the extent they have. "

-----
    I know this is controversial. wink but I thought it was a good point.

1. autumn18 profile image58
      autumn18posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we are living in a culture of death. Horrible incidents like the one in Colorado have been happening for centuries. Some horrible incidents were claimed to be done in the name of religion. It became apparent while reading though that the writer seemed to be mainly referencing abortion. I don't understand how anyone could compare what happened in Colorado to unwanted pregnancies. hmm

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh ok. I don't know. thanks for your comment

2. A Thousand Words profile image69
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it's so interesting how people often overlook the fact that the country with the lowest crime rate also happens to be majority atheist...

3. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No not on the rise. Media is just more readily available to spread the bad news.

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Personally I think it is sad and sick that this person used a horrible tragedy to promote his anti abortion and religious retoric.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree...

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would have said the same thing, but I'm 97 minutes late.

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

lol I understand

4. A Thousand Words profile image69

Agreed.

5. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely -  the acceptance by christians that it is ok to use tragedy to promote their agenda says more about them than anything they say.  This goes with those sicko's who claim to have found god through a miracle that always seems to involve their children dying or not dying, them to have an incurable desease and in the process of dying while posting and any other lie that is designed to pull in gullible nice people to their horrendous ideas.

wow.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually I let you go on this kinda stuff cause I love ya and stuff... but I am one of those sickos who found Christianity in the days following my son's death...  It was a comfort and certainly not a ploy to pull in anyone else.  Sometimes such conversions are perhaps misguided but they are generally sincere... In that state of grief it's almost impossible to be functioning high enough to contemplate manipulation.

Now the ***holes that stand around at funerals trying to convert the family and those who say stupid crap like "He's in a better place now" need to be b****slapped.

1. recommend1 profile image60

If you read what I said
             - it was people posting from a position of using a fabricated tragedy, and fabricated death bed that were in my sights.

I think I have made it clear in these threads many times that I have no argument with people being religious of any kind, except the fundamentally  uneducated who want to drag people into their fantasy world, and those who want to bomb the cr@p out of some 'other' brand of fantasy.

I am sorry about your son and totally agree with you that the best place for him would have been with you, and taking the option that he would at least have a heaven to go to is both logical and understandable.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58

Sorry for the misunderstanding smile Can I blame it on over-sensitivity and hormones?

You are always excused - you are the only christian on here who seems able to engage in reasoned argument, the wit and repartee alone ensure you a free pass.  And I think you have every right to be over-sensitive.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Actually I believe death is the religious tradition. Those who are saved and those who are not, where what - these latter are dead anyway. Personally I would take one death, over eternal hell any day.

Haha! I'm dead anyway!

4. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

I find it somewhat outraageous that this writer assumes that without the presence of religion there can be no morality...

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

"The real cause of the Colorado theater massacre."...
    Just ran across this website: http://ssristories.com/
    continuing the theory that antidepressant drugs are causing these mass murders and suicides.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most religion doesn't have that concept of 'saved' or 'lost' ones. The two major ones do, christianity and islam, but judaism doesn't. That is why the teachings of Jesus were viewed unfavorably by them. AF I have met reprehensible christians and atheists also. Christians are supposed to look out for each other. The atheist has no such constraint.

Human beings that don't look out for each other are called sociopaths...not atheists.

I didn't say atheists don't look out for others. Don't cherry pick my statements. Where is the atheist rule book? Page 31 clearly states that an atheist is under obligation to no higher authority other than #1. Christians are obligated, atheists do it by choice, if at all.

Actually Muslims are under obligation to do good deeds for salvation (that or die in jihad... either will work...) Christians only require faith.  I am speaking majority here not every member of either religion.

Faith without works is like bathing w/o water. Jesus didn't say that. Muhammad didn't say that. I say that.

2. peeples profile image93

I have never met a fellow atheist who didn't believe in looking out for their fellow human. However we don't do it out of a fear of punishment(hell) or hope for a reward(heaven).

So all atheists are good people. You guys must be perfect. Perfect idiots.

You can have all the name calling you want, I hope it makes your God happy. I never said "all". I only speak of those I actually know.

2. nightwork4 profile image61
                nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

a lot less ignorant then you at least. in general, regardless of a persons religion or lack of, we tend to be good people. there are over 7 billion people on this planet, many of them atheists that never commit any crimes and the same goes for religious people. using religion as a tool in any way is never a good thing.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

good to see you guys whether you agree or not.

wink thanks for commenting

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

reallly? wow. yes, it's a side effect of those medicines to cause suicidal thoughts. that's awful.

6. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

We live in a culture of death. Christianity is as ritualisticly bloody as the Mayan death cult, drinking the blood, eating the body, bathing in the vital fluids of the sacrificial lamb. Our sports are generally quite violent...except golf and baseball. Our entertainments get bloodier and more violent each year. The perception that might makes right is quite pervasive, also. We took a wrong turn maybe?

7. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Actually I agree with a lot that has been written in your article. You have become commonplace in our society. By being constantly exposed to it one can become desensitized. I can't possibly list all the horrific crimes, murders and what have you since the 1940s but it has been a lot and continues to be. Adolf Hitler, attack on Pearl Harbor, racial hatred, white slavery, Ted Kaczynski-(bomber), Timothy McVeigh-(bomber), Richard Speck-(serial killer), Jim Jones-(false prophet-mass murderer), Columbine-(student massacre), LA riots, Nuclear Bomb- Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Korea, Vietnam and all the all wars that followed, 9/11 and these are just the ones I remember.

1. A Thousand Words profile image69

Are you really insinuating that nothing tragic happened before 1940... ... ...?

Native Americans slaughtered (by disease and religious crusades and whatever other methods)? Black people traded as slaves first and taken against their will to a new country to be treated as animals and property (many of the women raped, African families torn apart)? Woman's fight for rights? Blacks fight for equality? There's a long list for America's dark past. I find it interesting how many people today have such a blindly positive view of America's past.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The reason for using 1940 was to present modern-day version of killing. Murder and killing has been with mankind since Adam and Eve left the garden compare the technology used today to those those used in the past and add up the body count you will see that man today exceeds the murderous rampage that continues seemingly every day.

8. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

I don't know what to believe anymore really.

You should believe that most people are intrinsically good and helpful human beings, and be careful of those who are not.  You should consider that some kind of metaphysical higher state or being or place seems to be a requirement or side effect of consiusness - and believe what you think might be right.  The metaphysical realms are just a mirror and will shine back happiness on you if you project happiness on it.

Good luck and remember that you are the most important person in the universe,  when you die we all effectively dissapear.

9. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

We have reached a point in history where one individual holds the power to be accuser, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner.  Without the people having the ability to question his actions.  All done under some demented form of Justice.

Murder is turning in to an everyday action.  Death is handed down as punishment, and society accepts it  for the most part, without question!

1. SpanStar profile image61
      SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow-do I agree with this, Well said.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)