Obama admin legalizes wolf hunting

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The gray wolf lost its endangered status and will be fair game to hunters beginning this fall. I checked the regulations for Wyoming and found that in much of the state, wolves can be shot any time of year. I don't like this. I "get" hunting. I used to do a lot of it myself. But we killed animals for food, and we didn't kill them during the time of year when they had young to care for. I also "get" protecting your cattle herd. I used to be married to a big time cattleman. I just don't agree with killing mammals when they're nursing young. The babies are left to starve to death.

I'm not some bleeding heart animal rights activist. As I said, I support most legal hunting. I know populations have to be controlled. I'm against steel leghold traps and year-long hunting seasons for mammals, however. Am I being unreasonable here?

First Obama legalizes horse slaughter in the US, and now this.

(Holle puts away soapbox.)

1. Karine Gordineer profile image75
      Karine Gordineerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to wonder how things like this get through our government with the majority of people in the U.S. against it.  I don't agree with much of the hunting that goes on...not saying all of it but much of it.  As a Native American the majority of us are meat eaters but we're not trophy hunters and don't take more than we need.  We need large game animals period.  For one thing they increase the health of smaller game animals. Wolves have been so villified by everything from the government, to Hollywood, etc.  We're pretty much doing to the wolves what we did to the Indians...trying to kill them all off.  It's very sad and I'm not sure what the answer is. We voted Obama into office thinking that he wouldn't do things like this - its very disheartening.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only thing I hunt and shoot are bowling balls and beer cans. I don't get this hunting thing at all. Hunters call it "sport". How can it be a sport if the animal can't shoot back? Hunting was a survival tool along with gathering, but we now have McDonalds and supermarkets.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
          gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed,   hunting is totally inappropriate and indeed barbaric in this postmodern age!

2. Ann1Az2 profile image76
      Ann1Az2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

habee, I agree with everything you said. Plus, I don't get hunting wolves at all. If the population gets too big or if cattlemen have to kill wolves to protect their herds, I can see killing out some of the population of wolves. What I don't approve of is creating wolf hunting to appeal to these crazy hunters that just like to shoot animals for sport. Wolves shouldn't be hunted for sport at all. They should only be killed by cattlemen to protect their herds. Nature will take care of the rest. It is our interference with nature in the first place that put them on the endangered list to start with.

1. Ann1Az2 profile image76
        Ann1Az2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I take that back, I don't see killing any of the population of wolves (except cattlemen to protect their herds). Like I said, nature will restore the balance if we just stay out of it.

3. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I agree all year round with traps is excessive the ban was lifted on advice from the relevant experts because the growing population was beginning to threaten other species, having said that we are left with little alternative in terms of who we support in the election, I don't think the Republicans will be jumping all over conservation or animal welfare, too many avid hunters in their base, so vote green? Tough one.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a "tough one." Something I like about most libs/Dems is their stand on animal abuse, but Obama has disappointed me there. I know most conservatives wouldn't be any better. Just about all conservatives/Repubs approve of legal hunting, as do I. BUT...the responsible hunters I know find it disgusting to kill animals when they're raising young. Part of this is due to compassion, and part is to ensure future generations of animals to hunt. I know wolves are becoming threats to livestock in certain areas. Like I said, I just think there should be a closed season. Maybe a certain number of breeding wolves could be captured, sterilized, and released. It works with feral cat populations.

2. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

First -- you are not being unreasonable at all. Second -- you and I have similar backgrounds as to hunting AND ranching and yes, we do understand the reality of the situation from both sides -- so that said -- have you seen some of the wolf-hunting photos that have already been on the internet? Stacks of bloody, dead wolves and smiling hunters that appear very pleased with themselves! It's heart breaking and I'm not a bleeding heart animal rights activist, either -- just a caring human being and an animal lover. My significant other is involved in wolf rescue through the tribes so I have a first-hand view of "wolfdom" as it stands today and the situation is very discouraging. Leaving baby four-footeds to starve to death is cruelty of the first kind and legalizing the slaughter of horses in the U.S. -- for whatever reason -- is just wrong. (Angela gets off her soap box and places it next to Holle's).

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Hi, Sis. Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you 100% about leaving babies to starve, but with US horse slaughter, I have mixed feelings. I hate horse slaughter, but I think the animals would suffer less in the US than they do in Mexican kill plants. Of course, I worry that with equine slaughterhouses becoming more available to Americans, it will be easier for owners to send their unwanted horses to kill plants without searching for other options. What's your take on that?

P.S.  I haven't seen the photos you described. Ugh. I don't think I want to.

1. Billy Hicks profile image79
      Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How in the blue hell is it that the FOIA battle over the White House beer recipie gets column inches in every major news paper, and segments on all the talk shows, yet this is the first time I'm hearing about Obama wanting to make burgers out of Mr. Ed?

1. habee profile image92

Obama promised to permanently ban horse slaughter for human consumption:

"During the 2008 campaign you said, "Federal policy towards animals should respect the dignity of animals and their rightful place as cohabitants of our environment. We should strive to protect animals and their habitats and prevent animal cruelty, exploitation and neglect.... I have consistently been a champion of animal-friendly legislation and policy and would continue to be so once elected." You announced that you had co-sponsored legislation to stop the sale for slaughter of wild free-roaming horses and burros. During the 2008 campaign you signed on as co-sponsor to the bill to ban horse slaughter for human consumption. When asked specifically during the campaign, "Will you support legislation ...to institute a permanent ban on horse slaughter and exports of horses for human consumption", you gave an unqualified "Yes". (HSLF questionnaire)"

I'm not blaming just the POTUS - it was a bipartisan effort. But...he promised!

Here's more:

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article … for-human/

I went and looked at the text of the bill (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h2112/text  for any who are interested), and here's what happened..

H.R.2112 (the "Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2012") was a "stop-gap" appropriations bill from last November (2011). It's purpose was to fund the programs contained within until there was a decision on the Budget in December (but I think you all know how that one turned out) and there really wasn't much of a choice but to sign it. Not doing so would have been pretty drastic. 

Technically, it doesn't "legalize" the slaughter of horses for human consumption- in fact, the word "Horse" only appears in the bill once, and that's to state that any spending resulting from the bill must adhere to Horse Protection Act of 1970 (15 U.S.C. §§ 1821 ­ 1831); what it does is fund the inspection process required for the slaughter of Horses, however such spending is limited to $696k and is at the discretion of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

It's also important to note, that this isn't permanent, it will expire with the rest of the bill as soon as there is a new appropriations bill.

From a practical standpoint, if the polling numbers that the article quoted are correct, and "horse slaughter" really does have a 70% unfavorable rating, then I don't think you'll really need to worry, the political version of NIMBY will kick in and congressmen will run screaming away from this one.

I would advise calling/writing/emailing your Congressman and Senators and letting them know that you are opposed to be funding for "horse slaughter"; letting them know that you're a writer with a large following and lots of time on your hands wouldn't hurt either wink

http://www.house.gov
          http://www.Senate.gov

1. habee profile image92

I contacted my Dem Congressman, Jim Marshall, about the slaughter act. I had voted for him, by the way. He told me animal owners had the right to do what they wanted with their animals. I told him I'd campaign hard against him, and I did. He lost. I'm sure my rants had little effect, but lose he did.

Outstanding smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
              Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So heartening to see someone taking political action.
              I applaud you for standing up for your beliefs.
              If our elected representatives are not representing us, we need to alert them, ask for an answer, and if we don't get it or like it, vote them out.

This is encouraging!

2. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image82
        Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments, too.  I had no idea of Obama legalizing the slaughter of horses -- and now wolves.  I am, as Habee puts it, a bleeding heart activist -- practically and if none of that works -- which it doesn't seem to -- I'd like to be an ostrich.

2. Angela Blair profile image69
      Angela Blairposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We also agree on the Mexican slaughterhouses -- I'm already seeing owners in my part of the country NOT searching for other options -- I think the poor state of our economy and feed prices being what they are are definitely part of this. In Texas lots of ranchers are finally throwing in the towel as the help (due to drought) promised by this administration never happened -- nor does it appear it will. Obviously this POTUS isn't much into animals or agriculture no matter what spin his people put on it. (I was directed to the wolf kill photos by an Indian friend who is grieved by that situation -- as am I -- so, don't go there as it's nightmarish!)

4. Teddletonmr profile image68
    Teddletonmrposted 11 years ago

Another example of Mr. Obama administration messing up policy they naively support enacting.
    Oh hold that thought, I bet they find a movie trailer to blame all the death and carnage for.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I'm not a hunter but most people I know are.
    Some investigation reveals (at least as I see it) a very different complexion.
    Technically, Obama Obama is responsible for signing the removal order.
    But it's a pretty big leap to Obama himself legalilzed wolf hunting.
    As a result, each impacted states/areas create their own management plan and sets its own hunting rules. (see bottom right hand corner of web page for Idaho, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Yellowstone National Park and two Indian Tribes, as well as the MPs for Wyoming and Idaho.

Here's a link to the Fish and Wildwife Service for detailed information about this issue.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/spe … mals/wolf/

Some key clarifications.

1. President Obama removed the Gray Wolf from the Endangered Species list at the specific request of the Governor of Wyoming because the population has increased due to concerted management issues.
    2.US FEW has now returne  management of the now thriving gray wolf population to the State of Wyoming.
    3. The sate of Wyoming has updated its gray wolf management plan.
    4. They also post hunting requirements for hunting. The limit is 1 wolf per hunter per calendar year.

The title of its thread makes it sound like President Obama has opened season on wolf hunting. I was envisioning Sarah Palin visiting Dick Cheney and tracking down the wolves in a helicopter with an assault rifle.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/spe … mals/wolf/

August 31, 2012 – Wyoming’s thriving population of gray wolves no longer requires the protection of the Endangered Species Act, allowing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to return management to the State of Wyoming and write the final chapter in the remarkable comeback story of wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountains (NRM).  Beginning September 30th, wolves in Wyoming will be managed by the State under an approved management plan, as they are in the states of Idaho and Montana.  Wyoming’s regulatory framework will maintain the State’s share of a recovered NRM gray wolf population in the absence of the Act’s protections.

The Service will continue to monitor the delisted wolf populations in all three states for a minimum of five years to ensure that they continue to sustain their recovery.  Although we do not expect it will ever be necessary, as with all recovered and delisted species, we may consider relisting, and even emergency relisting, if the available data ever demonstrates such an action is needed.

Basic Information:
    Press Release August 31, 2012 Service Declares Wyoming Gray Wolf Recovered and Returns Management Authority to State
    Federal Register Notice:  Removal of the Gray Wolf in Wyoming from the Federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Removal of the Wyoming Wolf Population’s Status as an Experimental Population
    Literature Cited

" I was envisioning Sarah Palin visiting Dick Cheney and tracking down the wolves in a helicopter with an assault rifle."

Laughing at that one almost made me do a spit-take with my coffee. smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol    Palin was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this forum,    Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha

2. habee profile image92

I know it wasn't all Obama on either of these measures. Finally, we get bipartisanship...and this is an example?

The WaPo article says, "The Obama administration" removed the wolves from the endangered/protected species list. That's why I said "Obama admin..."

My problem isn't as much the hunting as it is the year-long season.

From what I can find, it was Obama and Jon Tester (D) who fought to get the wolves removed from protected status. That obviously led to legalized wolf hunting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)