I Really Cant Believe Some Of The Garbage Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (106 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Just got finished looking around at quite a few hubs and I really cant believe some of the garbage.

I know HubPages is an outlet but there is also obvious abuse.

Now I know many people use their hubs for adsense earnings and that is cool because I will do that as well.  Adsense is a big factor in my affiliate career.

However, no matter what I will always try to have good quality with adsense based hubs.  I still want people to get something from the information

I guess on a brighter note those people just wont last long here and a brighter note.  I did read a lot of very high quality hubs so kudos to those people.

Cheers

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I believe a lot of people join Hubpages to get a few cheeky 'dofollow' back-links to their own websites, etc.  That's why I joined initially, but ended up enjoying the place and sticking around and writing more hubs (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that's followed this path).

But then they do say that one mans junk is another mans treasure.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are definitely not alone smile

lol, you too then Misha?

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
        Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I very much know about do follow and backlinks,  heck Im a marketer and dont try to hide the fact.  But Quality will definately take me a lot further than anything else. That I have proven

1. MellasViews profile image77
          MellasViewsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do it for fun. I cant help but think this one is for me. haha. Considering my recent title. ; )

2. profile image48
          badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's actually spelt " Definitely " , let's keep that Quailty on track smile

1. Candie V profile image61
            Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BC, My friend! Don't we wish there was spell check in here! LOL!! Hugs my friend!

3. Mrvoodoo profile image57

Yep, I wasn't questioning your marketing prowess, as you say quality will always take you further.  I was merely suggesting a reason for all the sub-standard hubs you've come across.

In lieu of possessing any quality hubs myself I'm attempting to substitute with quantity. big_smile

2. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know when I got started here, I wrote some stupid stuff.  Hell for all I know, I'm still writing stupid stuff.  But my point is maybe some of the hubs you've read, are first time pieces and the Hubber doesn't know any better. 

I can always count on a few of my friends here to straighten me out when writing.  They point out mistakes, tell me what's wrong and why they loved it or hated it.  I think commenting on hubs is very helpful.  I just wouldn't ignore a bad hub and pass it by. As for myself, I always appreciate the criticism and feedback.  How else is a person going to grow and become better at something; if there is nobody to guide them along the way.  Great forum topic.

I would suggest that most of us Hubbers feel this way, my early hubs were poor, and I wouldn't claim any of my more recent hubs to be masterpieces.  But hopefully they get a little better each time.

2. rastrother profile image40
        rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont need to say anything else you just said it all

1. RedElf profile image89
          RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said! smile When I started here, I knew nothing about back-links, adsense, all the marketing (great education, though, in these forum pages). This just seemed to be a great place to start writing again.

...and I still really prefer to challenge myself with an interesting topic, and try to turn out some entertaining, or informational, and /or entertaining hubs.

As for the rest, if some hub is truly objectionable (beyond just a contrary opinion)it seems to be dealt with quite effectively. There's a lot of good writing here - a far higher percentage than in a lot of other places.

3. lrohner profile image70
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RK, in the 6 months you've been here, this is the first post I've seen of yours. And I agree with every sentiment you voiced.

I think for the most part some people have miss understood me because I would be a severe hypocrite if I was talking about grammar, spelling or even trying.

I think it is great when people put in a great effort because no matter what anyone thinks that is a great hub.

What I was referring to when I first wrote this is when people join up, an hour later they have ten hubs written on some garbage affiliate or MLM product and then they are never heard from again.

I would never put down the good people who are trying ans i do apologize if I came across the wrong way.

3. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear what your saying Dale,..I've seen hubs that contain basic common sense articals that are very very short, just to get the adsense ad's to run, for example, how to take a bath,..LOL. But I'm giving some of the hubbers benifit of doubt because the are very new.

1. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how to take a bath!!! thats funny...I bet it could be done tho..I have actaully had to teach my kids hwo to do it without sending water to the basement.   smile

4. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a little early for you to be so concerned about the quality (or lack thereof) of other hubbers hubs. Just concentrate on your own.

Make each one the best that you can. And then do it again.

5. nyliram profile image58
      nyliramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably my last post, but you are totally right, there are so many just aiming for the click ad content, it has to be informative, and teach people something, otherwise, Why bother!!!!!!!!!!. You have the right attitude I wish these pages were made up of more people like you.
      People go on the net to learn, or look something up, I confess I got hooked on these forums, which, I did as I waited for my paint to dry. (I am an artist) I haven't been too well received by some, but largely I only associate in the real world with interesting or successful people, and I am doing the same here, I just be bothered with the adsense pushers. There are some brilliant ones,though that can write,  look out for Sufidreamer on Greece Goldentoad, Londongirl Anjalichugh Aevans eaglekiwi and pearldiver, and another fav Hawkesdream
      Mandy.

1. profile image48
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is it your last post ?

6. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was it you who gave us a list of topics to chose from before you wrote the hubs...

7. profile image0
      HubTubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I perused a couple of your hubs and noticed there were quite a few misspellings and grammatical errors.  For instance, you do not use apostrophes in any of your contractions (dont instead of don't) for example.  I do believe quality in writing is of the essence, and one quality of a good writer is an excellent command of the English language.  I do not claim to be perfect, myself.  However, it stands to reason that proofreading and checking for misspellings and grammatical errors before posting any article is of the utmost importance.

Just some friendly advice,
      Cheers

Point taken and thanks for the friendly advice.

I wasn't going to reply because I don't want people thinking I'm bumping the post.  However, for the record I was talking about the no faces that publish one hub with a bunch of links and then disappear. 

I have read a ton of absolutely great hubs on here and will continue to.

Once again thanks for the critique.

Cheers

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

When you see something that you feel is really bad, flag it for admin to take a look.

3. Candie V profile image61
    Candie Vposted 14 years ago

If you feel something is bad just pass it by. Don't leave a comment.  Everyone has their own tastes, some are just for gags and giggles. Some are downright bad.  Just pick the ones you like and stay with those writers.

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

We are all here for different reasons and we all have different tastes and preferences. To each his own.

If all the hubbers were like minded what a boring place this would be big_smile

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

4. MellasViews profile image77
    MellasViewsposted 14 years ago

Hubpages for me has always been a place where I can cut loose and just have a good time. My ultra serious posts/articles go elsewhere.
    For me hubpages gathered up some of the coolest, and funnest people I have ever come across in a community. A spelling error here or there never bothered me.

1. RKHenry profile image63

You know you are right. 

To each his/her own.

5. Dale Mazurek profile image62

I need to come across a little better.

I see so many different characteristics here and I think thats great.  So much of the writing here is above level and there is so much I like to read.

Im thinking the stuff I was referring to is just what we all know is garbage and Im quite certain those people will not reply to this post.

1. MellasViews profile image77
      MellasViewsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dang it, I thought I was going to be the center of attention. haha. ; )

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

lol, it's all good, you were right, there is some real crap on HP, you're not talking about new hubbers early efforts, you were referring to spam hubs. 

The thing to remember is that even a simple question or statement within the HP forums will take on a life of it's own, I asked a question about fish earlier and you should have seen where that went.  Makes for some interesting discussions.

So you're the culprit!wink

Yeah, sorry about that, lol

It has gotten rather interesting!  The last time I was on there, the conversation had switched to horse meat.  Too funny.

______________________________________________________________________
            Something I would like to address here is being careful to flag or accuse a Hubber of being a Spammer or TROLL!

Case in point:
            I used too, (note use too) read every new hub, and fan hub I could find.  I use to be a proud supporter of a wide variety of different Hubbers.  That was until, someone invented the word TROLL around here. 

One day I was discussing something with another hubber, who got mad at me, and called me a TROLL.  It was EverydayMiracles. I'll call her out, because I'm still incredibly angry about it.  I guess her only foundation for doing so was because I  spent on the average 5 hours aday, involved in the forums, supporting other hubbers hubs, leaving comments and feedback, and rating hubs accordingly- & now for some reason she considered me a TROLL!!!  Needless to say, she was only about 3 weeks old here on HubPages when this happen. Well, I'm a hardcore smoker.  Apparently she had wrote an excellent hub about 100 ways to quit smoking, or something like that.  Well since she considered my activity TROLLING, I was rather afraid to leave positive feedback or a positive comment on her hub.  Hell, since I was a HubPage Troll by her standards, I didn't even bother going to it and giving her any support whatsoever.  I just went to someone else's hub.

I was called a troll by two other hubbers before her.  Mark Knowles was the first.  I guess for my support of the community.  But hers was the last straw and the icing on the cake.  When I read forum topics such as this, I grow concerned.  Because since I'm only new to the community, I wonder if I will become flagged as a "spammer" or marked as a "TROLL!"  Which I don't think is healthy showmanship on any one's part. 

Lately, I've starting reading the occasional hub or two outside my few favorites.  I comment on even fewer hubs than that of the occasional ones who might be blessed by my appearance.  EverydayMiracles has been good to show her support on my hubs, commenting and leaving feedback.  But all be damn- if I've supported her since.  Take the chance and risk of being marked a TROLL?  No thank you, I'll pass. 

So just as a word of precaution- some of us Spammers and TROLLS, are actually good Hubbers to have around the community.  Which I know is a matter of opinion, but too each their own.  If you really want quality fan bases, watch who is reading your stuff.  Hook up with the people who actually bring something to the table; like lxxy, Ralwus, Peggy W., Iphigenia, shamelabboush, Teresa and the countless others that are my TROLLING hubbers and supporters of this wonderful community.

Becareful labeling Hubbers one way or another.  Let the HubPage Team take care of all us so called "Spammers" and "Trolls", before tagging someone improperly.

1. profile image0

sad sorry that happend to you. but the horse meat stuff is funny...

Hey thanks.  It is funny.  Who eats raw horse meat?  And why would you want too?  I'd like to see a video of someone's face who is eating it.  And I'm sure its good, and all that to any hubbers who like to rack my balls on horse meat.wink

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

My thoughts exactly.

And like I said somewhere above I came to HP with zero intention of sticking around, was just out to grab me a link.  But since then I've logged onto HP at some point pretty much every day, lol

3. dwilliamson profile image60
              dwilliamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good advice. I've had someone call me a "troll" on my children's website, not once but twice, and it is a long story that I don't really want to get into, but that comment hurt me so bad that I just about gave up writing. Now, keep in mind that I've written almost 200 hubs and 900 children's stories to date and after I calmed down after that "troll" comment I thought to myself, screw you, I'll write what I want to write, when I want to write it and how I want to write it. That "troll" comment hurt to no end and it still hurts but I'm not gonna let one person bring me down. I've put way too much work and effort into my websites and my hubs to do so. I've had nothing but positive results here on hubpages and I appreciate that very much.

4. lxxy profile image61
              lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Flattered RK, truly. smile

And I have to say that I agree, in general..the people you've mentioned do their best and try to bring something to the table. smile

3. profile image0

you mean, like, a person who has only one hub, with a few random sentences, and a link to thier "whatever" they are selling? maybe a profile picture of a beautifull girl with large fake breasts? I tend to just feel sad for those people, and ignore it. They are missing out on a lot. As far as MY hubs go, they aren't whats described in the rules, for sure. TOATLLY not useful, or educational. but they help me out. eventually, if I dont get kicked outta here, I will get around to writng something like, how to make poster paint at home. I actully DO know how...I keep getting distracted...

4. dwilliamson profile image60

Oh, oh I hope I'm not one of them. I know some of my hubs aren't as good as others. I have gone in and edited some and will eventually edit out some more of them or just plain delete some of them. However, I feel that I am growing here as a writer. I write mostly for children so a lot of my hubs do reflect that type of writing, simple, straight-forward and from the heart.

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yeah I know, sorry about that I'll get around to re-writing my first 25 hubpages...because they was utter pants, at least we can go back and edit them, but then there are those that think they have created an affiliate masterpiece when as you say it is just garbage....I'm sure you will be able to out do the not so good hubpages with some good marketing insights!

7. aawitan profile image60
    aawitanposted 14 years ago

I  don't blame you for feeling that way-- finding what you call garbage in some hubs, but  I could not agree more to the one who wrote that "one man's garbage  is another man's treasure".

Maybe when they become more  educated and  have more experience, they will be able to write  substantial content that are useful to a lot of people. Patience is a virtue and tolerance  is  admirable.

I salute those hub writers  who  put a lot of good substantial useful and informative  content in their blugs. May their  tribes  thrive well!

Ariston P Awitan,M.D.
    <snipped - no sigs please>

8. Enelle Lamb profile image72
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

pretty amazing how a thread can take on a life of its own big_smile always interesting

Yeah certainly is interesting, I guess when you're talking to people in the flesh you have all those non-verbal cues, facial expressions etc. to help you understand what they're talking about.

Whereas in writing, the same single sentence can mean a million different things and be taken a million different ways.

9. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

I have my doubts about quality being the winner ... or has content abdicated? How about quantity ... well, never mind! smile

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I know what you mean. There is a lot of spam and garbage, best to flag it. And I don't mean bad grammar, or spelling. It's not a dig at other hubbers but those who really are only here for the money and don't worry about quality or even writing in complete sentences.

11. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

How to take a bath..ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I wonder if someone searches for that....someone must do...ha ha ha!...next it'll be how to eat and drink, followed by how to walk and talk!!lol

1. profile image0

you mean, how to walk and talk at the same time? I could really use a hub like that...no really...I have been banned from chewing gum.

2. profile image48
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How to take a bath on Google has had 77,200,000 searches, I kid you not smile

1. dwilliamson profile image60

Gee, cabingirl, you got nothing better to do than look up "how to take a bath" on google. Gee girl you need to get a life. hee hee

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image59
          Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cabingirl....you probably have 77,200,000 followers, I've read your stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote the How to take a Bath Hub...your take on a subject like that would be more than unique...love...love...love you!

12. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The only hubs I have a problem with a cookie cutter hubs.  This is when you see exactly the same hub over and over with a slightly different subject.  I'm sure this is very efficient for selling the products but I have stopped reading them.

13. Blogercise profile image57
    Blogerciseposted 14 years ago

Who are we to judge?  With respect, I've had a look at your hubs Dale and they don't really grab me!  Mine probably don't grab you!  You'd be suprised by what people are actually looking for on the net.  Having worked for a leading International site for many years I have learnt to never try and second guess people.  Never judge people by your own standards.  That you have the ability to write articles in the first place already puts you ahead of most people in the World.

I think the solution to the problem is for the hubpage "system" to get its "quality" scores right.  And then hopefully the decent stuff will rise to the top.

1. christianesk profile image60
      christianeskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blogercise, what you have written here is a wise, and carefully thought through response. Nice job.

14. Dale Mazurek profile image62

Wow, tough crowd in some aspects.  So now in not so many words I have been told to mind my own business because Im a newbie here.

I may be new to HubPages but Im not new to the internet or a format of this type.

My partner and I have a couple hundred lenses over at Squidoo and I have basically abandoned that side of things because I am terribly unhappy at the life it has taken over there.

I like HubPages because there is way more control.  I know I am not a great writer and some would say not even a good writer.  I also know there is some very great talent here because I have witnessed it with my own eyes.

Hell there are people here who could make a hub about a plastic bag and make it interesting.

If I have offended someone then it is probably because you are writing garbage hubs.  I guess I should clarify.  I guess people could classify my hubs as garbage so maybe thats the wrong words to use.

I guess I mean the people who can come in here and build 10 hubs in 20 minutes trying to sell  "make easy millions in your pajamas at the kitchen table in 48 hours" kind of stuff

But basically being told to mind my own business because I am new here and only have 3 hubs.  Well that isnt going to happen.  I read nowhere that we have to be here for a certain amount of time before we can have an opinion.

Nope, no time limits on being allowed to have an opinion (as far as I'm aware) and all opinions are welcome (or at least to me they are).

But that's the funny thing about being entitled to express your opinion, everybody else is also entitled to express theirs. wink

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, so we've been exposed to your opinion, can't we respond and say chill out, focus on your own quality? This opinion thing is a two way street. When I join a new community I'm mindful of etiquette.

I am curious though, you said you don't like the recent changes at Squidoo. In comparison HubPages is a lot tighter with things like outbound links. Squidoo introduced a 9 link limit (to the same domain, per lens). Here at HubPages it's a limit of 2.

As for Squidoo well some may think Im crazy because Im an affiliate marketer and 9 links should be great.  However it seems to always turn into a sales page instead of a content page.

I have read much higher quality work here because I believe there is much more research done here instead of just doing a basic copy of a sales page.

Now dont get me wrong, there are a lot of great writers over there as well I just think this format is going to go much further.  Not to mention the great work is harder to find over there because of the endless sales pages.

2. rastrother profile image40
        rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

exactly chill out and worry with your own hubs, if you don't like them then don't read them. and don't go click on my link and view my hubs just so you can have a bad come back to use. that's so old.

1. Misha profile image63

Late to the party? Uh-oh...

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i beg your pardon, but when you say only hubbers who write quality hubs will reply to this topic, that doesn't really make a lot of sense, and may make some people feel they have to reply or else. i expect only 10% of the hubpages community is even reading this post right now.

then to say that if your fellow hubbers take offense that must mean that they "write garbage hubs" is incorrect and insulting.

i write for a living and am also an editor, so i think i know good writing when i see it. even if i see some hubs that i think are poorly written or boring, i wouldn't say so.

another thing, i have seen some hubbers criticized for hubbing by creative writing - their peers say they are just here for fun and not serious about making money. then here in this thread, hubbers are criticized for being mercenary and only here for the money. sort of a catch-22, isn't it

?!

it doesn't matter to me who is here or why, as long as people live and let live, unless they do things like spam or harrass their fellow hubbers. i see some hubs that are in violation of hubpages' rules but i don't flag them...that seems kind of witch-hunty to me.

thank you for letting me express my opinion.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I both agree with you, Cosette, and see Dale's point.  We all know what the 'garbage' hubs are...and I don't put them on the same level as those who are writing but are intermediate or beginning.

Garbage hubs are often about just making money...  I just don't read them.  Nor have I ever voted a hub up or down, or reported one for anything.  Hopefully, those who write them can make some $$ off them.

And I very much agree with your last paragraph.  I don't even take offense to spam, though...but harassment in any form, yes.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I think everyone is dismayed when they first join HubPages about all the garbage in a lot of the new hubs. However, that does pass and you do become more concerned with your own writing. And, like someone said, the good stuff usually rises to the top.

And I would hope that most people are capable of judging what is garbage and what is not. I don't subscribe to the "everything is great and you should never judge" mindset.

16. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

The paint dried, keep up CG !

1. alekhouse profile image71
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG You are so funny. And always"with it"

I came to hubpages by accident. But, when I saw what was happening here, I knew I would have an opportunity to improve my writing skills, and try out new genres and styles of writing. I always try for quality. What's the sense is trying to produce garbage, then the whole process becomes nothing more than a "time killer"

I read a lot of other hubs. I've found some terrific ones, extremely well written. The content almost doesn't matter to me, as long as it is well-written and/or creative. And these are the hubbers I become fans of. I have come across some pretty bad stuff and, occasionally, I will rate that hub down. I've never seen one I had to flag yet.

I do not have adsense and so I'm not pushed in to writing specific kinds of hubs. I select my topics on the basis of what interest me and, sometimes what I think might interests others on the site.

17. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I am probably one of the people he was talking about, I consider myself on a learning curve  and so far have been very encouraged by comments I have been given...

As far as I can see hub pages is a friendly community, and you only have to read what you want to read......

Shame you are so outspoken, as it is kinda not in keeping with the general tone of hub pages...

So in HubPages I shouldnt be outspoken?

18. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

You can be outspoken of course, if you like that is the thing about hub pages, you can do pretty much what you like it is a tolerant forum...... We just tend to try to talk about the good things and don't comment on the bad things....... usually, that is...... There are 100's of hubbers, I can come on here for 3 solid hours just reading hubs, none of them are too bad actually, though obviously some are proffesional and some like me are learning...... Welcome to HubPages, hope you stick around, I am going to take a look at your hubs now...

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I don't know where people take this misconception that good stuff will always rise to the top? Ever tried to crap in the water? lol

lol, you make a good argument.

20. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Hmmm, I reckon Dale may be referring to my garbage about the Little Toothpick. I thought it was cool. hehe

1. profile image0
      nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think he's refering to my boogies.

@ Dale, are you refering to my Boogies?

2. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

¡Hola Señor CCR, Quicksandito aqui! How are you doing? Have not "seen" you around lately! smile

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I'm trying to do my best. Sorry if it sounds crappy wink

22. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Yeah, Naz, that was also disgusting. LOL
    Dale, one other point of etiquette is that it is common courtesy to answer those who comment on your hubs. Not  nice to write a hub with the comment box and all and the author doesn't respond to his fans or commenter's.
    And there is a spell check in here, just right click on a red underlined word, for all who may be interested.

1. profile image0

I am interested, my lousy 11 year old computer and dial up connection cant handle the spell check...waaaa  sad

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry for you. hehe Mine is a 13 year old Gateway 800, so it does well.

1. profile image0

ive got stupid windowsME that has some kind of VD...the Dr says its fatal...but hey, ive got 22 cents in adsense saved up for new one.  smile

23. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

well, Dale, looks like you figured out how to get noticed!!  smile

24. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

11 years old? 13 years old? I can't imagine how it is possible to be online nowadays with that stuff at all, let alone Windows ME, which is fatal all by itself, you Dr is right... How do you manage guys? yikes

1. profile image0

v   e    r    y     slowly......and with lots of pounding my fist on the desk and pushing ctrl/al/delete and restarting...and cursing...

1. quicksand profile image81
        quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

does cursing help? lol

1. profile image0

yes I feel much better. Thank you.

2. profile image0

Hi quicksand. Nice to see you too. I been in stealth mode. LOL

2. Misha profile image63

Actually I like some things being v   e   r   y     s   l  o  w, I bet you too - but not computers for sure wink

1. profile image0

yes...for sure!!!

2. profile image0

Misha, I started with a good one at the time and have added many new things to it through the years. I am just about ready to get a new one as I am still on Windows 98SE. I don't have too many problems though. It is a workhorse and I had it all outfitted for writing not gaming. Can't do Skype though. Broadband was a godsend!

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I   a   m   g   l   a   d   w   e   h   a   v   e   a  n   u   n   d  e   r   s  t  a   n    d   i   n   g  wink

1. profile image0

h   a    h   a   h   a     :      )

26. feeweewv profile image60
    feeweewvposted 14 years ago

Wow, I think hubpages has all kinds of readers and hubbers.  I think it depends on what you are here for at the time as to whether a particular hub "grabs" you.  I, myself, don't make enough money from adsense to make it count, but I have fun... and I don't care about hubscore or who reads me.  I like to be read... I think I'm here just to be understood.  That's just me though.  My opinion is, we can't please everyone, so just do what you do how you do it.   My life motto is, I can only please one person per day... today isn't your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.  Hubpages is just fun.   There are tons of people out there a lot smarter than me and post hubs that are much more informative, but to each his own.  Someone might stumble upon my hubs and it be just what they were looking for.  Be it association to their own life, a laugh or whatever.

27. raiderfan profile image61
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

I have alot of misspellings in my hubs but I think I am gettin betta.

28. Lucey Knight profile image60
    Lucey Knightposted 14 years ago

I have met and read many, many talented writers here on hub pages.  For ones that I don't like, I simply skip and move on.  There is more good talent her than bad so it's not that hard to weed out who is an interesting read and who isn't.

29. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I write for fun just to raise a brow and other times I write serious. Since I write about a genre of topics and writing for me on HP is just for fun as it is my passion. smile
    As for my book , that is serious. smile

30. vkent7441 profile image61
    vkent7441posted 14 years ago

To me writing is a way of getting what I feel out of me. Some things I write I know must be horrible, while others have gotten me a lot of recognition. I frequent a lot of writing communities and write for a lot of magazines, so when I can get away from being so professional or politically correct and let me opinion out from time to time, I do.
    I don't expect for everyone to like something I write; everyone has their own style of writing and what they like to read.
    I may piss people off (not on purpose) and I realize this, but we as writers should back each other up more and encourage one another, rather than bash or slander. If someone writes something you consider garbage, nicely tell them in a private message so they can learn from their mistakes and move on, that's just how I see it.

31. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I been findin hubs with high scores full of girly pics tongue n understand what you're talkin about, Dale lol only found them cuz I search for hubs to link to mine n jus skipped right off those particular ones tongue

32. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Yeah, those low grade hubs made for adsense only kinda hurt Hubpages image. Good part is most of them are never seen due to the fact they are garbage!

~thranax~

33. auntiebree profile image61
    auntiebreeposted 14 years ago

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say garbage hubs.  As long as they do not break any of the rules,porn adult content etc...They have the right to write what they want.  Some people have talent, some don't.  Alot of people write poetry, not my cup of tea, but I am sure others love it.  When you find someone you enjoy, join their fan group and you will be sure to see what you are looking for.  I wish hubpages had a spell check cause I spell awful.  I try to proof read my stuff, but when I look at it at another time I find more mistakes.  We all can only do our best, and maybe for some what you see is what they have.  It's not always easy to get your point across in writing.  Your tone is not heard, and someone could take something, not the way it was meant.
       God Bless

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages does have a spellchecker. If you do not like that one, you can download the FireFox browser and get an add on spell checker.

Also, what he means by garbage is this definition:

Something created (mostly copied) for the sole reason to get as much traffic as possible to as little time and effort as possible to try to obtain the most amount of clicks on ads as possible.

~thranax~

34. ixwa profile image78
    ixwaposted 14 years ago

Aaah! Okay, reading is fundamental and writing is a skill one acquires. Quality is something you develop if you are serious about writing, whatever the genre. How and what you read translates into good writing. The thing about the net, ones stuff stays longer and that will help to develop a lot of writers. You can also use your house dictionary to check out spelling. I do not know about quantity writing. But helping one another through careful advise will help a lot of us. Since money is involved, people resort to unseemly shenanigans just to raise money, well, are these not the times when the economy is in the ditch- anything to survive. I read all those that are good, and those that are developing. This helps me work harder on my hubs. Well, hubs make for a record, if written well, maybe an accumulation of them might result in a book, which without, may just never happen. How do I judge hubs on the Hub pages? Well, I use all types of writing to strengthen and develop my writing.

35. Uninvited Writer profile image79

It's okay, every time someone mentions that there is garbage, a lot of people get very defensive. I know the type of crap you are talking about. I flag it when I see it.

36. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I Agree! hubpages is free for everyone! I write only for fun and I don't think that's wrong, and maybe I have lots of spelling mistakes, although I try not to,as English is not my  mother language.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

power to the people! big_smile

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah !! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)