How Important Is Made In America To You?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. crazyhorsesghost profile image72
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

How Important Is Made In America To You?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7417683_f248.jpg

Years ago before NAFTA and all the American textile jobs being sent over seas there were ongoing campaigns about, " Made In The USA".

Now whole cities in the American south look like ghost towns because the jobs have been sent over seas and all the mills have closed in those cities.

These are American cities that were destroyed by NAFTA and the jobs going over seas.

I don't see the Republicans or Democrats talking about this issue. But it is a issue that should be talked about. The American people should demand a repeal of NAFTA and a cap on how much of any product could be imported.

I know some one is going to run in and say but you don't understand America is now part of the global economy. Well I call B.S. on this. America needs to protect her self and her jobs first and foremost.

I think we should have a cap on every import coming into this country. If it can be produced, grown or manufactured then 80 percent of any product should be required to be made here in the USA. Remember that slogan, " Proudly Made In The USA " Well I do and I support it 100 percent. And I think in a national vote that a majority of Americans would to.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7417710_f248.jpg

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uhuh. $3,500 for an iPhone lol

Protect yourself from your own corporations? Don't be silly.

crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think of it as silly at all. People were once proud of made in the USA products. The US Government paid out millions on the made in the USA campaigns and then the US politicians sold out America. I think the US politicians who voted in NAFTA should be tried for treason.

America is slowly circling the drain unless something is done to bring back the American dream.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
          Shyron E Shenkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I still try to buy only made in America products. They are higher priced but you get what you pay for: Higher quality.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Where was your computer made?

Mark I see your point. I just feel horrible at what has happened to made in America. My computer was assembled in the USA but the parts were made in China.

Check this out:

http://contentutopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/corporateconnection.jpg

Full size image here:

http://contentutopia.com/wp-content/upl … ection.jpg

It has gone beyond our ability to do anything about it. I bought something the other day that said "Made in France" and - it was the LABEL that was made in France. lol

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Mark, I said I try, but have you ever tried to find Computers made in America. 

I agree with Dale Hyde on this one, but when I buy other things I look for the label made in the U.S.A.

Good for you. When the Chinese start looking for things that say "Made in China," and stop buying American cars - let me know how that goes for ya. wink

It's a 2 way street.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
                Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One thing I saw mentioned was that China is now using "made in PRC" to get around the "made in China"... PRC is of course People's Republic of China.

I remember when "Made in Japan," was a bad thing.

1. Any Other Voice profile image60
                    Any Other Voiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I used to go out and buy American flags for July 4th, I would look at the tags on them. Every single one said 'Made in China'. Oh, the irony...

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Made in the USA is great and I have no problem buying products made in the USA.  However there are many items that are simply better made by other countries.  I buy products that will endure and that are well made.... If that item is made in the USA I buy it, if not, I don't hesitate to buy it elsewhere.  Overall, the majority of electronics are better made elsewhere and we live in an electronic world.

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This situation is entirely your fault! And my fault, and the rest of the countries fault. We continue to elect bought slimebag politicians who serve those that pay them, Big Business. We are under some supposition that the slimebags are there to do what is best for us. When their only desire is to be re-elected and their desire is based on money that they spend three out of five days at the office raising, what could you expect!

I used to buy American made tarps to cover projects outside that were costly but now I only have the option of the Chinese made ones that the eyelets come tinkeling out of the bag before I even unfold them. They cost the same but there is no other suppliers out there.

We are in a great decline because of the greed of individuals at the top are willing to sell the rest of us out to line their pockets.

Term Limits, Publicly Financed Campaigns and Lobbying Reform are our only hope.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

It bothers me that our 'richer' nations would take full advantage of the 'lower' costs of production in a foreign nation. One thing I think gov't should do is - if such practices is going to be allowed, then wages to those workers should be equal to what's given at 'home', then outsourcing may not be so popular. jmo

1. innersmiff profile image66
      innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That'll create more problems, itself an action made because of government intervention in the first place. As the man says, NAFTA, and currency devaluation caused this debacle. Though I do NOT support imposing caps in imports. Why do people have such little imagination? Free trade between countries gives incentive for companies to create better products. When people have the option of buying a product from whatever country that supplies it, they'll tend to buy the best product. If it happens to be from China, it is then the onus on American companies to make products that match or better the Chinese ones. Enforced nationalism is a sure fire way to a naff economy.

Companies have the right to hire whoever they want, from whatever country they want. If the government wants them to hire in the home country, create an environment that incentives it - violence is not the answer.

Never

2. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the great American sellout that the slimebags have perpetrated since the NAFTA idea was first introduced. Big Business gets to cut their costs dramatically while selling at near the same price and pocketing the difference. This may be short sighted as the consumers are getting squeezed out of income and jobs, but big business will just move their operations overseas. China is the next big business frontier with a possible billion consumers to sell to while equalizing our standard to theirs in the process as jobs become scarce.

3. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 11 years ago

I handmake items in the USA and I believe they are quality goods for a good price.

4. crazyhorsesghost profile image72
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

Your statement is very true. I stopped buying clothing at Wal Mart. It takes some doing but I try to buy all made in the USA clothing. The clothing made in China is of very poor quality.

5. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Well said. The problem is that the corporations think otherwise. Their interests first, the American people second. Now if we heavily tax any US company outsourcing maybe they will think twice before employing offshore manpower.

For whatever reason, companies don't want to hire in the US, and this problem is not going to go away if you tax them for hiring offshore. It might turn out that they'll either hire nobody at all or jack up prices of their products, or both.

6. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

I'm presuming from this argument that although you all want Americans to buy only American goods, that the rest of us in other countries are  still supposed to buy US exports and buy our coffee and burgers in American owned chains?  You know, so that you can stay prosperous? 

While 'Made in .....' is a nice idea, it is pretty hard to do in a global economy.  Even if you can afford to buy everything from local producers, much of the stuff they will have used to make it/grow it will have been imported from somewhere else.

It's also not much use blaming corporations for using offshore labour/manufacturing in foreign countries, as it is the consumer who has driven this by demanding ever lower prices.  If you want Chinese workers to enjoy better working conditions and higher wages be prepared to pay more for your toys/electronics/whatever.

Trade is what makes the world go round, and even in prehistoric cultures they shipped beads, combs, furs and shells in from other regions.

In the UK a whole load more people would have to learn to like brussel sprouts if we stopped importing vegetables from other countries lol!

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not the consumer demanding lower prices that has fueled this - it is purely corporations looking for higher profits and improving figures and share prices etc.. Where have prices gone down because of the goods being imported rather than made in the west??
      This is a shortsighted move that will eventually bite those corporations as wages will rise in China and the other countries as they want to consume what they manufacture also. The prices will then start to rise - what will the corporations do then? Bring back the jobs to the west to save on shipping??

7. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Well, I try to buy a lot of my stuff that is Made in Canada., clothing, food. But the way the world is you can't buy everything made in your own country.

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Perhaps this is the intent, but I don't see it as the reason for free trade, nor are many of the products quality made.

9. jeri741 profile image60
    jeri741posted 11 years ago

I like buying local. I try to support local farmers and crafters as much as possible. But there are things that you have to buy that are not American made. If they were I would buy only American made.

10. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

I think it is pretty much impossible to only buy Made in America products.  One strategy that furthers you local economy and is quite a bit easier to accomplish:  shop at locally owned businesses rather than big box retailers like Walmart.  The products you buy won't all be Made in America but more of your money will stay in your local community, helping small businesses to prosper, and paying the salaries of your friends and neighbors who will then have more money to spend locally.

11. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 11 years ago

Governmental regulation is not the answer. Perhaps it could have been decades earlier but as we have seen in this discussion, it is not practical.

What is practical is for the consumer to make an effort - just buy one item American made for the holiday this year. Yes, it will be more expensive but it is cheaper than my grandchildren having to move overseas for a job.

One item at a time, grass roots movement - something we can all participate in.

The local chambers have started a Buy local program. We need to stop driving, stop cyber shopping and start walking to our commercial center and learn their names and support their stores.

We, as consumers, can send a strong message to the top retailer, we want to buy American. What if all the big box stores promoted a tiny section Buy American?

Menards has been wonderful in their advertising campaigns in this regards. Why are not more following? Where is Macy's, where is WalMart, where is JC Penney? Let speak out and support the American made products.

Let's demand cyber space to inform us. We don't need regulation - start asking the retailer, what is the origin of the product.

America - let's band together, we did before in 1776 and we can do it again!

(PS Great question - so glad this was asked - kudos).

Thanks. It is very important to me. I would like to see Americans demand a National vote on a cap on imports. That could be done to if enough people would step up.

Americans could vote so that 80 percent of any product that could be would have to be made here in the USA. I bet it would pass.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Maybe we could send e-mail, letters to our Representatives that this is what we the people want.  I a all for this.

I like you idea, Tom

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)