What's your favorite place in France (apart from Paris)?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (69 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

What other places can you recommend in France apart from Paris?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

to visit? or to live?

the countryside surrounding Paris, a beautiful small village(commune) south of Paris, Sceaux and Versailles.

sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To visit or to live . . .but I guess if you have lived there, then your opinion carries more weight. Have you lived in France then?

only for part of a summer. I loved it, will return. have you been to Paris?  I have a friend who lives in the city and another friend who has a home in Sceaux. If I were to live there, I would choose this charming, beautiful small village. by metro Paris is 20 minutes away.

Yes, I've been to Paris but not for many years. Never been to Sceaux though . .it sounds idyllic, and just a stones throw from Paris too.

2. Suki C profile image68
      Suki Cposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love Normandy.  Several years ago we decided to drive to Brittany, got as far as Normandy & decided to holiday there instead.

There is so much to see and do there - historical places such as Bayeux, Rouen and the D-Day beaches, beautiful countryside, lovely beaches, the food is wonderful and the people are friendly!

I wish we'd moved there instead of Spain sad

1. Princessa profile image81
        Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean... I lived in Spain 5 years before I decided to definetly move to France.  The nightlife and food were great in Spain but France is another world, I feel at home here smile

princessa, you're so right about being a different world.
          when I traveled there a few years ago, I was fortunate enough to stay in a small commune (village for american minds) and it was so amazingly beautiful and the pace of life was so much slower than here in the US. it is going to be a topic of one of my hubs soon because I think people like to read about other countries and how it is different from their own. Especially France, because of its beauty. love reading your france hubs. smile

1. Princessa profile image81
            Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What can I say, I just love it here.  I live in a small town where time passes along with the seasons.  Everything stops at midday for at least 1 1/2 hours for lunch -a proper 3 course lunch with a glass wine!

I am not far from Paris -2 hour train ride- so whenever I feel that the country life is getting too much I can easily go to "the city of lights" and enjoy the bustling rythm of Parisian life. 

BTW thanks for having a look at my French hubs smile

2. profile image50
          mary-kateposted 13 years agoin reply to this

whats that place called thats near the beach in france where you can live
          O.o

3. flode profile image60
      flodeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The south of France, Aix en Provence, Nice, Cannes... the Cote D'Azur is wonderful. So is the North of France. The beaches of Normandy or very tranquil and beautiful. Must sees!

4. avorodisa profile image78
      avorodisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deauville is nice. Hossgore is a wonder!

5. profile image53
      roothzimpyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To see the traditional France Dordogne region has lot to offer. There are some very beautiful villages in this area.

2. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 14 years ago

Reims
    Colmar
    Avignon
    Bordeaux
    Epernay

3. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Strasbourg

4. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

Morlaix in Brittany.  Fab musem of Brittany beds, it was shut when I went but still had a great time.

5. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Provence!

Provence gets my vote too. Where were you in Provence?

6. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Never was there. Read about it though.

7. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Longwy

Never heard of that one, so I just googled it. Near Luxembourg . . is that the place?

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

idyllic is a nice way to describe it, flowers everywhere, the small round about is surrounded by flowers, the narrow cobblestone streets. everything is within walking distance, nice shops, cafes, bakeries, an amazing park which I have written about in my hub, Sitting in a Park Outside Paris. I am going to write more about my stay there as I think people like to read about lifestyles in other countries.

sitting outside in the evening in my friends garden area, we would hear someone nearby playing the flute, the smell of someone cooking with garlic and potatoes, everything seemed to slow down. people enjoy the lifestyle and ease to get in and out of Paris.  smile

9. mistywild profile image60
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

Versailles or Provence

10. InParis profile image60
    InParisposted 14 years ago

Dordogne or Colmar or maybe Nice, but not when it is floded with tourists. France hs got so many beautiful places, it is difficult to choose:)

11. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Nice/Cap D'Antibes

12. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Lourdes, France

13. Lee Boolean profile image59
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

Finistère ... beautiful countryside, wonderful food, great people and excellent wine (ok, does not come from there but I don't drink Cidre)

14. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

The Ardéche, great canoeing and when we were there, a fantastic restaurant run by a retired top French chef.... amazing!

15. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

The hills of the Aude - Cathar country - just north of Perpignan.  The old castles like Peyreperteuse are amazing (as is the wine!)

Beautiful countryside. I have been to Montsegur, Albi and other Cathar sites. Amazing!

1. CrystalStarWoman profile image59
        CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I lived in France for 7 years, from 1993 - 2000, in a tiny village in the Charente-Maritime, near Aulnay de Saintonge. My kids went to schools in La Rochelle - which is lovely, Saintes - which is lovely and Cognac which is lovely too!

However, we went on holiday a couple of times down to 'Cathar country' and it was AMAZING! Mainly because I had the strongest feeling that I'd been there before - but not in the is lifetime!

I was 'searching' for a place that I knew would be special and I visited Rennes le Chateau (after having read about it in the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail) and although it was wonderful - it wasn't THE place... but when I visted Peyreperteuse... WOW!

I can't describe the emotions I felt!

Well actually I could. I feel a Hub coming on! smile

write it, those are the best ones! I would love to read it. I know that feeling you're talking about~~ feeling like you had been there before. I felt the same way. I've had a love affair with france since a young girl. smile

Thanks rebekahELLE smile

Lots of strange and wonderful things happened to me while I lived in France.

It's strange because the experience at Peyreperteuse allowed me a kind of 'closure' (I was leaving France and moving back to the UK - I was so homesick for England).

It was as though I had experienced all I needed to, to let go and move on...

I wrote about a lot of my experiences several years ago, and I don't know if I'll end up with a duplicate flag if I put any of the stories on Hubpages (I've had one flagged, but left it up anyway!)

I shall have to find some time to think about it. I've only been on Hubpages for 2 weeks, still trying to figure it all out!

Do you believe in reincarnation? Were you perhaps a Cathar in a previous life?

Hi sannyasinman - yes I do believe in reincarnation (and I have had past life regression on 3 different occasions, several years ago now, which were very interesting experiences).

When I first went to 'Cathar country' I had chills! I 'knew' the landscape, the shape of the hills and mountains and I just KNEW there was a past life link there. I visited several castles in the area, but each time I thought 'this is not the place' - until I was in the Chateau at Peyreperteuse. I felt like I was home...

My feeling is that I was a man when I was last there, in robes like a monk, but I have not had a past life regression where I visited that life. Unfortunately I was with my (now ex) husband at the time and he was angry with me, because I was trying to explain to him what I was experiencing. He was a sceptic and ridiculed me, he refused to take photos of the place, or let me pause a while to try to connect and remember... I would love to go back one day.

You went with the wrong man smile What a shame to visit a place like  Peyreperteuse and not be allowed to fully experience it.

I do believe that there is no such thing as coincidence in life. Several years ago, I lived with a French lady in Toulouse who was also a therapist and healer. We visited many places in the area together, including Cathar sites, but not, unfortunately, Peyreperteuse. I did feel drawn to the Cathars, and probably have a past-life involvement, but I am not sure which side I was on ..? smile

I agree - there's no such thing as coincidence smile

16. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Avignon.  A dusty little town with a red-car railroad, but the home of the Pope when he was exiled from Rome during the reign of Henry VIII.

A peaceful and historic place, and off the beaten track.

. . . and half a bridge, and a fantastic festival each year . . smile

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it a theater festival thats on every year? I was there when they had one of those a few years ago, but I didn't think my French was good enough to sit through a play. Its still a beautiful place though.

Yes, its a festival of the performing arts, with theatre, street performers, and a general vibrant atmosphere. I used to go there to buy what was my favourite wine Chateau Neuf du Pape . mmmm smile

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

this thread is bringing out my francophilie yearnings.

the best wine, such a lovely country, beautiful flowers and castles and good conversations well into the morning hours... sigh.

18. Bluestem profile image61
    Bluestemposted 14 years ago

Nice is a great town. As is Nîmes. Avignon, which I believe has been mentioned, is a great stop to see the Roman aquaducts and the castle. Aix-en-Provence is neat as well.

19. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

The Loire Valley for its scenary, beautiful castles, delicious cheeses and good wine!

20. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Mont Saint Michelle

21. James Mark profile image61
    James Markposted 14 years ago

A little more difficult to get to, but well worth the trip, is Corsica, l'île de beauté. The combination of mountains and sea so close together is wonderful. I would avoid the high season, though, and go for May, June or September. The area round Porto Vecchio has picture postcard white sand beaches and clear, turquoise sea. Bonifacio is a must; the cliffs and clifftop dwellings are spectacular, and there are views over to  the larger Italian island of Sardinia.

For mainland France, Annecy in Haute-Savoie, within easy reach of Lake Geneva and Chamonix Mont Blanc. If you visit the region and have time to drop down to Lake Geneva (Lac Léman), you must not miss Yvoire, a quaint little lakeside town with an atmospheric feel, partly due to the unusual spire-dome of the church; a light lakeside mist helps too!

A few places to the north Paris worth a visit are Chantilly (superb château and lots of Brit expats),  Senlis (cobbled streets, impressive cathedral) and Pierrefonds (Disneyesque château restored by Violet le Duc features in the Merlin TV series).

Hi James, you obviously know France well, and you mention some great places (some of which I know too).
      I used to live in Morges, in between Lausanne and Geneva, and the boat crosses the lake from there to go to Vvoire. Yes, what a beautiful little town, so well preserved, full of flowers. Annecy too is not far from Geneva, the lake, the canals - another beautiful town . . .ahh . . now I'm feeling homesick for France smile

1. James Mark profile image61
        James Markposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we lived in France for 11 years, mainly in EFL work, but also pastoring a francophone church in the Doubs department, near the Swiss border (Jura canton) - a lovely area. I plan to post some photos when I get time. I did my one and only hub so far while on holiday.

22. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I had a great time in La Rochelle, loved the beaches there as well!

I don't like that much of the south coast, but that is probably down to me being a pasty white skinny English boy surrounded by tanned toned rich Frenchmen :p

I also really like Perpignan and Marseille!

I once made a road trip all the way along down the west coast of France (stopping at La Rochelle) and on through Narbonne, and then to the Cote d'Azur and Provence, then driving back up through Avignon to Le Havre.
      I too was a pasty white English man when I set off, but I somehow metamorphosed into a relaxed, bronzed European by the time I got back - with many adventures to tell too. smile

2. CrystalStarWoman profile image59

One of my daughters went to Lycee at La Rochelle - it's a great place for all ages. I used to love going there, sitting outside the cafes, watching the street entertainers...

23. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

maybe CrystalStarWoman was a perfecta in a previous life.
    I read once a book by an american author : All things are lights
    and that American wrote so well about that medieval France at the time of religious wars.

Nice reading you.
    This country is indeed full of diversity.
    And reading you, the idea of favourite place just vanishes.
    Best is to travel through all places.
    Let me tell you I love America too.

Bless you people.

That's interesting Zampano - thanks. I have read a little about that, I shall have to look into it some more smile

24. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

As far as I can tell, my favorite place in France is staying the hell out of France.

25. ernest hardt profile image57
    ernest hardtposted 14 years ago

Le Havre

26. cocopreme profile image89
    cocopremeposted 14 years ago

I think the cliffs of Etretat in Normandy are absolutely breathtaking. I highly recommend visiting the beaches of Normandy if you ever get the opportunity.

27. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Tours, France is nice. I also like to visit Lourdes again!

28. Jon Green profile image87
    Jon Greenposted 13 years ago

Belle Ile, Brittany - a beautiful island with unspoilt beaches. We should never have given it back to France!

29. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

one of the places I loved is the Ardeche area we camped in ,it was beautiful & I would love to go back !

30. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I spent a month touring France as a teenager with my aunt, uncle, cousin, and sister, and we stayed in Royan in Aquitaine, the Chateau de la Caze in the Gorges du Tarn, Chamonix in the French Alps, Beaune in Burgundy, and Paris.

I still really want to visit Provence and Brittany in particular, but of the places I have been, I'd have to say Royan (and Aquitaine in general) was my favorite. The countryside was so beautiful and the people so friendly, even to a group of bumbling Americans like us, only two of whom spoke mediocre French and the rest none at all. Cannot say the same of Paris, although we ran into some sweethearts there as well. I particularly remember an adorable middle aged waiter who took it upon himself to entertain my little cousin, who was 4 and tired and everything that entails, even though I'm pretty sure it was a major faux pas to have her there at all.

The food, of course, was marvelous everywhere. I think I only had one bad meal the entire time we were there and that was at the Grotte de la Mer la Glace, which was a total tourist trap and could be expected to have mediocre, overpriced food. tongue

31. TheBlondie profile image61
    TheBlondieposted 13 years ago

I was in France once for about 2 hours. I was in Germany and decided to take a little road trip smile I don't even remember the name of the town but it was (for some reason) completely deserted. The only person I saw was the waitress at an outdoor cafe I went to. This was three years ago, and I can still remember exactly how everything tasted- the pizza with white sauce, the fresh tossed salad with an edible flower garnish...mmmmm. The weather was perfect and although I was only there for a short time, I would definitely say it was one of the more memorable days of my vacation.

32. johncimble profile image52
    johncimbleposted 12 years ago

When I was in France I stayed in several places. Cannes was really nice, but also in the country side, Lemones was a really good rural area.

33. Carmen H profile image83
    Carmen Hposted 12 years ago

Nice. It's much warmer there...and then there's the shimmery and sparkly Mediteranean sea in the backdrop.

34. Riviera Rose profile image67
    Riviera Roseposted 12 years ago

The French Riviera's lovely, not just the glamorous coastline, but up in the hills, where there are lots of quiet untouristy villages, beautiful scenery and unpretentious, usually cheap restaurants.  Gosh, anyone would think I lived there...! wink

35. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years ago

The Pyrenees are very nice, some fantastic small towns and villages that love tourists.

36. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

La Rochelle, gorgeous cognac, friendly people, beautiful ocean.

I really don't like Paris that much, and since Parisians don't seem to care too much for foreigners it all works out perfectly.

37. citygetaway profile image61
    citygetawayposted 11 years ago

I would vote for Fontainebleau, it's charming small town with incredible château in the Parisian area, just 45 minutes (train) from Paris if you need to commute to work.

38. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

The Alsace region.  Absolutely beautiful!

39. TravelinJack profile image67
    TravelinJackposted 11 years ago

Provence, Bordeoux, and Normandy are my favorite.  Avignon is a beautiful city in southern France well worth checking out if you're in that area.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)