What Type of Artwork Do You Have on Your Walls?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (77 posts)
  1. lindacee profile image86
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

Original art? Photography? Framed posters? Fabric? Taxidermy? There are so many choices out there, it's fun to hear how others are decorating their walls!

1. Shane Belceto profile image62
      Shane Belcetoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mostly framed posters of Mickey at this point .. will advance though into original Mickey arts and original Mickey creations at some point.

~Expect Miracles

lindaceeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Animation cels are just great. Just looked at a beautiful framed Mickey cel online. It was from the movie Fantasia.  Guess they are quite an investment, but gorgeous art.

1. Shane Belceto profile image62
          Shane Belcetoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes quite the investment for the collectable stuff .. but you can tell a diff too.   smiles

~Expect Miracles

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
      Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, yes, yes, yes and no.  The dead animal thing just isn't me.

Other than that, I have a little of everything.  I think I get it from my mom, who is herself an artist and she likes a wide range of art mediums.

3. profile image57
      stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have some of my own work on the walls.  I've also got originals by various artists and a couple of prints.

There's a few photos I've taken I really should frame.  I just remembered an old black light poster involving unicorns, butterflies, and possibly a waterfall.  I think it would look good in a frame.

1. JoanneD profile image61
        JoanneDposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mostly framed Greyhound art - stuff have done, art I have bought, art I've had commissioned. We are huge Greyhound lovers - have been for many years. We currently have four ex-racers.
        Have "a little" other animal art thrown in here and there.

Greyhounds are so beautiful--great subjects for art!

2. classicalgeek profile image82
        classicalgeekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have several wall hangings with Latin mottoes (1 9'wx6'h, the others 4.5'wx6'h), a gilt Japanese print block, a copper tray, and a collection of objets d'art (fabric stamps, abaci, ceramics), two numbered b/w prints, baskets, and some other miscellaneous stuff (mineral glass, inlaid carved wood boxes, etc.).

Good mix of artwork. Variety makes a room much more interesting!

3. glassmosaicist profile image60
        glassmosaicistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a mixture of my own work and also shop bought pieces

4. Hui (蕙) profile image61
        Hui (蕙)posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Framed oil or watercolor paintings, but not many. I do like arranged flowers in vases around the room.

4. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I have a harry potter poster I was given when visiting Hamleys toy store a few years back, the 'have you seen this wizard?' one but its one of those ones where the wizard disappears when you move your view. It was wicked cool that the guy gave it to me and all because I was playing the video game while waiting for hubby big_smile

Free artwork is the best of all!

5. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years ago

I have a few paintings I've done that no one will ever see but me, but since I'm moving soon, the kids bedrooms will be decorated top to bottom with their favorite characters, my son wants Doctor who painted on his wall and my daughter either wants Barbie or Peppa Pig on the wall and I'm looking forward to make a few hubs out of this project when we do move house that is, because it's like waiting for a bus at the moment!

I'd like to put a few more of my paintings up, but I don't become too attached to them because they seem to sell when someone sees them. I had a gas engineer around a few months ago doing a gas check and he saw one of my dragon paintings and bought it there and then.....I was secretly pleased but also gutted that it's gone, all I have left is a sketch of that dragon and it's not the same boo hoo!

waynet, sounds like you should cash in on your artistic ability! However, I can understand how it would be like selling off your "children"--art is so personal.
        Looking forward to your hubs on wall art for children's rooms. Your kids are very lucky!

6. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

my kids scribbles. they are everywhere. I mean, they scribbled on the walls.

1. Ivorwen profile image67
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I keep erasing that type of artwork... but it keeps coming back.   I guess it is better than the bugger art  that my friend's son does.  big_smile

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine was done in oil pastels. not erasable. Funny thing, the "artwork" became part of the "proof" that I don't clean my house. (somehow for some bored nosy people, kids scribbles = an unfit mother?) I actually kinda like it, all kinds of smiley faces and rainbows and little kid stuff. We are going to be painting over it this winter and I'm a bit sad to see it go.

2. lindacee profile image86

Ha! Hope you have washable paint!

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nope. But we can repaint. Ive taken photos of the "art" to remember them by.  wink 

One day my house will be finished and I hope to decorate.

7. maven101 profile image71
      maven101posted 13 years ago

We have an original oil by Les Lambson, two multi-media originals by Mary Kuder, a bronze by Paladini, and several numbered copies by Israeli artist Itzchak Tarkay ...
      The most valuable art is plastered on the wall of my office; my grand-children's rather interesting art...Larry

That says it all!

8. lichin profile image59
      lichinposted 13 years ago

my favorite figure and some airbrush

9. Ivorwen profile image67
      Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I use mirrors, clocks, photos and prints to decorate with.  In the past I have used painting that I have done, but they are currently all in storage.

You need to get them out of storage!
        Most of my personal possessions are in storage right now.  In the interim I have framed some of my original still life photographs and am using (of all things) framed wrapping paper to brighten up the rooms. I love the graphic quality of some of the patterns. I also have fabric stretched over artist canvas frames. Just can't stand to have bare walls!

1. camlo profile image86
          camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did this for a while with 1970s wallpaper. It was quite stunning - maybe I'll do it again.

2. Ivorwen profile image67
          Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement.  I pulled out one painting that was ready to hang, and put it up today.  I don't know that it is a perfect fit for the room, but it is better than nothing.

10. camlo profile image86
      camloposted 13 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4090946_f248.jpg

I was bored one day, so I got a black Edding marker and drew this on my wall ...

No, I'm not that good. This is a transfer that I pressed onto the wall - I think it's pretty effective.

I also display a poster of the sun's eclipse with the moon, and an aerial view of Tupperware containers, the effect resembling a Rothko painting.

OMG, I LOVE the Marilyn transfer. Instant impact!

2. writinginalaska profile image81
        writinginalaskaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very cool,   that's thinking outside the box,  i love it

3. imatellmuva profile image76
        imatellmuvaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Camlo, that's FREAK'N AWESOME!!!!

4. JoanneD profile image61
        JoanneDposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is awesome! Love it

5. Ian Hudson profile image67
        Ian Hudsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That looks effective Camlo. Has Banksy paid you a visit?

1. camlo profile image86
          camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been out of the UK for so long, I had no idea who Banksy is, so I've just looked him up, and learnt a little bit more. Thanks for that!

1. Ian Hudson profile image67
            Ian Hudsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, no problem smile did you see his monet classic? he dumped a couple of traffic cones and a shopping trolly in his painting of lillies.

11. Lexe Charleston profile image54
      Lexe Charlestonposted 13 years ago

Sad to say none at the moment. My posters have been in the closet and I never think to buy frames for them. I have Picasso's the old guitarist and M.C. Escher's Relativity. Nice quality prints too. Got them as gifts years ago and have never hung them. Eek. Maybe I should get on that.

Also have some band posters I want to frame and hang eventually too. I want to make some of my own wall art at some point as well. Haven't crafted for a while and I'm starting to get an itch for it.

Sounds like you have a good collection. Time to get them on the wall! 
        DIY wall art is also a great idea. Let me know if you come up with some interesting ideas.

12. writinginalaska profile image81
      writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

i mostly have my own stuff on my walls being a photograher and a quilter.  Also some local art.

Great way to showcase your creativity and support local artists!

13. imatellmuva profile image76
      imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

I have a variety of artstyles on my walls. Many are african inspired pieces, others are artistic pieces that I, my son and brother did. I made my own mats, and purchased a nice frame. I even have a mirror that I jazzed up with appliques around the border to match the color of the room. I also have pieces of  my Grandmother's quilt framed and displayed. I was never a person into floral prints, but I came across one so abstract, and the colors accented my room and other pieces beautifully. The possibilities are endless.

Personal creativity and family heirlooms trump off-the-shelf art any day! Sounds like you have a varied and wonderful collection of priceless pieces. Good job!

14. SurrendersAlright profile image61
      SurrendersAlrightposted 13 years ago

Crayon scribbles and little fingerprints. That's art, right? And some color (modern art prints like Rathko) among my husband's black-and-white photography, which is everywhere.

Sounds like you have a creative group in your household! Rathko isn't too bad either! Ha!

15. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Prints, claywork, and photographs.

The claywork sounds really interesting!

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I have some photographs, a framed Monet print, a calendar, a really cool mirror and a painting of Dove Cottage.

Mirrors are great wall decor. Monet is one of my favorites!

17. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I have a mix of art on my walls - I have a large family photo wall, plus a few photo enlargements (poster size) of my daughters along with watercolor and charcoal drawings/paintings of them that my mom did.  We have a couple of Fanch Ledan and Tarkay prints that we purchased on our honeymoon cruise and a hand retouched, signed Kincaid nautical painting we bought ourselves as a housewarming present when we bought our first house. 

Mostly I have lots of original watercolor and acrylic paintings from my mom, who is a wonderful artist.  I recently had to remove a bunch of my wall art because I found I was overwhelmed with artwork everywhere and there was no place for the eyes to rest!  Now I can rotate my art.

How great that you have paintings done by your mother -- you have many personal pieces to make your collection special.  Like you, I like to have the walls full of wonderful artwork -- my husband says I tend to get carried away with it. I have tried to restrain myself, but your idea of rotating the art sounds like the perfect compromise!

18. profile image0
      Edliraposted 13 years ago

Modesty apart, mine :-). And of course if I could afford it maybe there would be some impressionists and surrealist works.

If you have the gift of creating art, you should proudly display your work!  I'm jealous. smile

1. profile image0
          Edliraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Linda, get the brushes and try it, it is fun, you might end up surprising yourself! Cheers, Edlira.

19. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I call it "Modern Urban Dust"...

I'm a big fan and cave been collecting it for years

Hopefully you have a collection of  "dust bunnies" as well. They make for great accessories!

20. gracenotes profile image89
      gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Some original art from a friend, and some photos.

A whole wall of photos taken in Israel, from when I visited there a few years ago.

An unuaual work of art, bought from a street artist, that was created free-hand using Krylon spray paints.  It took him less than 10 minutes to finish it.

Sounds like a fabulous collection! Trip photos are especially good choices for wall art. I would love to see the Krylon piece!

21. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 13 years ago

On my wall--Two Roy Lichtenstein signed lithographs, an antique German clock, kid drawings, unfinished sheet rock, a calendar, two tambourines, and Christmas ornaments that stay up year-round.

Love the graphic nature of Roy Lichtenstein. What are the plans for the unfinished drywall?

2. June McEwan profile image63
        June McEwanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love the no taste arty- fartiness of it all!

22. Song-Bird profile image68
      Song-Birdposted 13 years ago

My favorite wall art are the photos we took while in New York City.  I played with them in Photoshop and made a series in Sepia and another in watercolor.  I love them plus they bring back wonderful memories smile

I bet they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I like sepia as well. I'm not very good with Photoshop, so I use a couple of different online image editors.

23. profile image0
      Susan Annposted 13 years ago

Love this topic..most of my wall art is the drawings I did. However, two paintings done in oil remain my favs.

24. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

The expensive type... however, the true masterpieces are all stuck on my refrigerator door.

25. Ian Hudson profile image67
      Ian Hudsonposted 13 years ago

I have my own art on the wall, but it is all pre-art school stuff. To be honest they are 2d and they have very basic colour mixing. The good side of this is I can see how much I have come on in the last 18 months and the more you draw and paint the more you improve.

1. June McEwan profile image63
        June McEwanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once you've reached the point of doing a 'good' drawing you'll realise how fab the childish stuff is! Picasso spent his entire life trying to get back to understanding form as a 3yr old does!

26. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 13 years ago

Wow, what a lot of creative things here! Gives me some new ideas, too.  My home is decorated with rustic art with a country/ranch theme.  Taxidermy (deer heads) and prints of horses as well as country patchwork.  Chilli peppers all over the kitchen with bright, bold colors because everything is paneled and needs to brighten the room.  Amazing how our art decor reflects our personalities, don't you think?

27. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Van Gogh, Rembrandt,Parrish,and a few obscure Dutch painters work

28. June McEwan profile image63
      June McEwanposted 13 years ago

80% my own stuff. Where else would I put all the unsold stuff! 95% original, the rest - images by 15th century greats. The spaces left- by my children and photos of same! Some swaps - paintings and prints by other artist friends. Being an artist myself, I've rarely been able to prioritise actually spending hard cash on art! Lounge - nudes and flowers. Kitchen - still lives + mural. Bathroom - boats + mosaic fish scene. Library/chill room- portraits + embroideries. Bedroom - landscape and spill over nudes. Hall - mostly landscapes and any oddities! Garage - unfinished and unframed mixture...hundreds of the bloomin' things. Anyone wanna buy some?

29. Painter Penfield profile image60
      Painter Penfieldposted 13 years ago

These are some of the pieces I have scattered about now. It constantly changes, depending on what exhibits are going on...

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4586691_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4586742_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4586748_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4586755_f248.jpg

30. Fossillady profile image94
      Fossilladyposted 13 years ago

Antique art, leaf art, garden photography, mirrors, wire sculptors

31. brimancandy profile image77
      brimancandyposted 11 years ago

We mainly have paintings that were done by my uncle Warren who was quite an artist. We also have a couple that my mom did. A long time ago, I had one of my own ink drawings hanging in my bedroom, of a flapper standing by an antique car. It was one of my best drawings ever, which my parents lost, when they remodeled their house. My bedroom is gone, and there is a kitchen there now.

Sure wish I could find that drawing. I worked hard on it. I did it in my 10th grade art class, for which I received an A+, and the teacher actually had it up on a board for all the other kids to see. I got the drawing back at the end of the year, where it went into a frame, and onto my bedroom wall.

Here is a drawing I remastered and colorized on my computer. Also done in high school.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7599193_f248.jpg

32. thecatgallery profile image60
      thecatgalleryposted 11 years ago

My walls are full of cats and women and the combination thereof (i.e., women with the love of their life). My paintings :-)

33. freecampingaussie profile image61
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

As we are in a caravan traveling & soon to leave on a big overseas trip we dont have any art work up. However if we ever do settle down I will enlarge some of our personal photos for the walls that will bring back beautiful memories . If I didn't have my own photo's I would choose water scenes .
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7251797_f248.jpg

34. Thelma Alberts profile image89
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

We have oil paintings on our walls from my own artist, my husband. Some walls are with family photos.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5218336_f248.jpg

35. apicodesigns profile image58
      apicodesignsposted 11 years ago

On my home walls, i have two big horse and wild scenes oil paintings. I love both paintings so much that's why i have purchased from France.

36. TNT Husky profile image63
      TNT Huskyposted 11 years ago

I have a skylanders poster on a wall close to my diploma, and picture of my girlfriend. My kitty cat calendar, which I use to keep track of my hubpages plans throughout the months. A minecraft poster hanging up behind my husky hat, which sits on my tv. and on my other walls I have some hand drawn artwork that I'm proud of. It's not very good artwork, but each one marks a stride in my creative progress. It's also littered with shelves and dressers topped with plushies, knick-knacks, and video game merchandise. Also, my nerf gun. I like my nerf gun.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)