Hubbers in the Philippines

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I know there are many Hubbers in the Philippines.  It's daybreak there now, so if any of you can get online, please let us know how you are and what the situation is now. The reports I hear say that over 10,000 people have died in the typhoon and many more are homeless and without food and clothing.

1. yougotme profile image89
      yougotmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm so glad about the concern and help people are giving over Philippines and the residents. It makes me believe more that we are united despite boundaries and distance.

I'm living in the city of Manila which wasn't affected much by the typhoon. However, the most affected areas are those in the Visayan area as well as other parts of Luzon (mostly southern). Yes, it is tragic but with the Filipino spirit as well as the help coming from all over the world, we will definitely make it through. Thanks again everyone!

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the update and I'm so glad you are OK.  At least the Internet is still working in parts of the Philippines.  The pictures I see on the news reports are just dreadful.  I hope your country quickly receives the help it needs and please keep us updated here.

Provinces located in the mentioned island groups are the ones gravely affected. Food is becoming scarce, signals are down and people there virtually have nothing, and hence rely upon the relief goods and help offered by fellow Filipinos and thankfully the rest of the world.

2. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear you're okay, yougotme!  I hope none of your family or friends were caught up in Yolanda.

Fortunately, my relatives and friends weren't affected much by the storm as well. Thanks Earl!

2. Alphapx profile image60
      Alphapxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am from Philippines. We were ready but sad to say that in our neighboring islands the result is unexpected.

We are very sad but fighting spirit help us to overcome this tragedy.

3. Alphapx profile image60

Later, I will post few clips around our house during that typhoon. It was extremely powerful typhoon.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

I think communications have been wiped out from the Philippines.  If you look at Quantcast, Australia is awake but there is zero traffic from the Philippines right now.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The news I listened to said 10,000 in one city alone. It could be thousands more. I don't they have power there, phone service or anything.

I think you're right, Barbara.  This is major!  Over 350,000 people are homeless, maybe more.  This is what the storm looked like from the International Space Station (you can't even see the islands):
        http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8500154_f248.jpg

The photo is amazing. A lot of them posted at Bubblews about the storm before it happened. They were frightened. I felt so sorry for them.

2. snakeslane profile image81
          snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, looks horribly intense, my heart goes out to these people.

2. profile image0

Yes, 10,000 in Tackloban alone, so far:

http://goo.gl/sJT3AJ

2. profile image0

At least one of our Hubber friends in the Philippines - jemuelO - checked in yesterday:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118254

10,000 lives snuffed out like a candle ...  "Tragic" doesn't seem to be sufficient to describe the catastrophe.

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like 230,000 in Haiti 3 1/2 yrs ago.   Unimaginable, and our hearts go out to these people.

3. Writer Fox profile image32

I didn't even see that post because it is in the Topical forums.  But, that Hubber hasn't been on the site in over 12 hours.

4. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

I just watched a news video on Yahoo. The report is saying 10,000 dead and 2,000 missing. I'm sure these figures will change over the next 24-48 hours.

I'd better sign off now to do my Violet Flame decrees and Archangel Michael Rosary. We don't need any more of these kinds of storms. Earth is going through many changes and the planet needs all the help it can get! ***

5. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

I am currently in Manila and we did not have too many problems here. However in my main home near Bacolod there are many trees down and my business property lost part of the roof. But thankfully no injuries amongst the family or neighbours.
    I am currently trying to raise friends in Samar on the phone but there is zero service there, reports are very sparse from that area but it looks like severe devastation. It is near to Tackloban where reports are saying as many as 10,000 people have died. In Samar there are 300 dead and more than 2000 missing.
    It looks like the Typhoon bought in the sea, they are saying that the waves were like a tsunami with 20foot waves rushing inland - with many people living on the coast and most not having concrete homes I think the death toll is going to be horrendous.

If you can contribute to any of the appeals that are going out please do!

6. LeanMan profile image78

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … pines.html

Just some pictures and reports for those that have not seen......

Those pictures are horrific.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Those pictures are horrific.

1. LeanMan profile image78
        LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The weather has been truly wild this year! A couple of months ago we had major flooding after an earlier typhoon here in Cavite where I am. The water levels were up to roof height in many areas close to me again with many people dead - but nothing like the devastation of this latest Typhoon.
        The trouble is that the Philippines is far from a rich country, most of the people live in bamboo  or wooden homes rather than concrete houses; these are always destroyed when we have these extreme weather events and of course earthquakes. It is always the poorest that suffer the most.

I forgot that you actually live there now.  I hope the worst is over.  I know you have lived in many countries. Are you and your wife going to continue living in the Philippines?

1. LeanMan profile image78
            LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be honest this Typhoon went through very quickly, where we are in Manila we did not really notice it very much as it was late evening and although the winds were high and heavy rain it was over within an hour or so. We were very lucky as we were on the very edge.
            But in the Visayas where my main home is it was very bad, it has taken down many trees and damaged many buildings. We actually had a large tree cut next to our business there just before the storm hit as one fell right beside it during the last storm. So we decided to remove this one as it would have destroyed the building if it came down - this was a good decision as many of the trees there did come down as well as parts of the roof coming off of the business.

But yes; we will continue to live here. While there is a risk or earthquakes and storms etc it is still a very beautiful country to live in and the people are very friendly indeed. Nowhere in the world is free of risk.
            We are just lucky that we can afford to live in a secure and well built home, too many people here live in very poorly constructed homes and slums especially in the cities. When these disasters come it is always these people that suffer the most and are least able to help themselves after.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
              Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glad you  are safe.

3. Barbara Kay profile image72

After looking at those photos, we don't know how blessed we are.

1. profile image0

Amen to that, Barbara Kay! Whenever something terrible happens in the world, it makes us take a look back at all of the petty things we may or may not have complained about recently - spilled coffee, being late for work due to a speeding ticket, etc. - and realize just how good we've got it. A catastrophe like this really puts things in perspective, as my Mom is always wont to say.

I just hope that the relief effort saves as many people as possible ...

4. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How horrible!  Our thoughts and prayers are with the Philippines as the face this horrible devastation.  I hope our Marines and other aid will ease their burden.

7. twentyfive profile image78
    twentyfiveposted 10 years ago

I am from the Philippines. The Super typhoon wrecked Central Visayas and Southern Luzon. 10,000 death is not yet confirmed but I hope it won't reach that number. Communication has shut down on affected areas. Roads and airports were badly damaged so transpo is hard too. There is no electricity and internet on affected areas but the rest of the Philippines (Luzon and Mindanao) is normal.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

I have seen some of the video news reports-- terrible damage, grief, injury and disruption of all services. 
    The survivors there seem to be working hard to help everyone, but there is so much to be done.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

I am here in the Philippines since Oct.30. Due to my jetlag and changed of time, I have not seen the news on the telly (for almost 2 weeks) on what is happening in my country. I was on and off sleeping and no news came from my relatives as well.

Shamed on me that I have just looked at the news yesterday how the typhoon caused the death of more than 10,000 Filipinos. We had only 2 days strong rain in my home town at that time of devastation caused by Yolanda, in the south of the Philippines. The Gihaw-an river was not overflowed but the people were vigilant.

I´m so sorry for my fellowmen who have suffered a lot. I hope the money donations from different countries will really go to the victims and not to the corrupt politicians.

I hope God will help us especially now that there´s another typhoon coming and it´s nearer where I live. I heard that it´s in Hinatuan Surigao del Sur now which is 4 hours drive from my home town.

10. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I am from the Philippines too but I live here in England, but just wanted to say, I saw the news on T.V. and I felt sorry for my Kababayans who experienced the typhoon. I never seen anything like it before. I have experienced typhoons when I was there, but nothing like this. I can't do anything but pray for my Kababayans and hope they will survive this disaster. I agree with you Thelma, we just hope the donations from kind- hearted people from other countries will go to the victims not to the greedy politicians.

11. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I heard the winds were over 300km/h and coincided with tidal surges, creating much greater devastation than anyone expected. I sincerely hope Australia's new government steps up and offers immediate assistance.
    We saw footage of one poor young woman, 8 months pregnant, who lost 11 members of her family. So much heartbreak.

12. jemuelO profile image87
    jemuelOposted 10 years ago

I live in Cebu City, Philippines, one of the cities visited by typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda last friday.
    I am so sad... and it breaks my heart to see the unfortunate event that happened to our neighboring provinces (Leyte and Samar) here. The typhoon was really destructive. It left horrible damages to several provinces in Central Philippines. The number of deaths and casualties are now rapidly increasing, we're afraid that almost 10,000 (estimated, according to the officials) people have died due to the 'killer' typhoon, and we don't know about the extent of damage in the other provinces because some municipalities are unreachable (it only means that death tolls will reach even higher in the next few days-horrible!).
    As seen on local news, pile of dead bodies are on the streets of Tacloban City. It is said that storm surge brought by Haiyan, was the main reason for the deaths incurred in this city. According to the people living there, storm surge were like tsunami that flooded the entire city.

Some parts of Leyte and Samar are still unreachable as of the moment. No power, water, and communications in these areas due to the damaged electrical/telecommunications facilities.

I am so thankful that Cebu City was not badly affected by the typhoon (Northern Cebu was)...and that we are safe - thanks God. As I've said before in the other forum, that was the strongest typhoon I have ever experienced. I think that's the reason why widespread destruction was reported in the areas where the typhoon made its 1st landfall
    I posted on this forum 3 hours before Haiyan hit our area last Friday: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118254

Let's continue to help and pray for the victims of the super typhoon Haiyan.

Thank you HP community for thinking about the Philippines. God bless us all!

I have been and will continue praying for the people there.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Our hearts go out to all our friends there and we hope that you have got through the storm with your families intact..
      Houses and property can be replaced...
      Take care and know that all throughout the world this sad and tragic event has brought us together to think of and pray for you.
      And Em, if you are able, please let us know you are okay...

13. LeanMan profile image78

If anyone wants to help the people in the Philippines the link below goes to a page which in turn links to several organisations that are providing help and support to the affected areas. If you can help please do.

The death toll is expected to continue to rise and the people that have survived in these areas are now desperate for help.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1 … rref=world

Thank you so much for posting that link.  Some people are literally starving.  This is the fourth day without food and clean water for many.

2. Marie Flint profile image72
      Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I  made a small donation through CRS. I'm almost tempted to join a nonprofit group and go there physically, but I'd best take care of my own health first.

14. pamij profile image76
    pamijposted 10 years ago

My prayers are with the families that fell victim to the typhoon. Are there any plans to get water and food to the surviving families?

15. Writer Fox profile image32

The latest report on the Philippines is: between $12 and $15 billion in damages and 530,704 people are homeless.  There is a critical need for food, water purification and medical services. Direct financial donations in foreign currencies may be made according to the instructions on this government website:
    www.ndrrmc.gov.ph

Making direct financial donations bypasses middlemen who might take a cut and avoids possible fraudulent charities (which always seem to mushroom during tragedies).

16. Writer Fox profile image32

The government website for the Philippines says that 530,704 people are homeless. Many of the injured are without medical services and there are critical shortages of food and water purification equipment. Direct financial donations in foreign currencies may be made according to the instructions on this government website:
    www.ndrrmc.gov.ph

Making direct financial donations bypasses middlemen who might take a cut and avoids possible bogus charities (which always seem to mushroom during tragedies).

1. Marie Flint profile image72

Thank  you, Writer Fox, for keeping up updated. I feel confident the Catholic Relief Services will use my donation wisely.

"us" updated  . . . (I corrected this, but there was a glitch.)

That probably is a reputable, established charity, but so many new ones spring up after a disaster.  It happened after Katrina and 9/11.

I'm sure you're right, Writer Fox. I keep my visualizations for our planet high and hope someday instigators of fraud will be a thing of the past. When energies come into alignment, there will be no need for war, crime, or cataclysms, such as the likes of Haiyan.

2. Alphapx profile image60

As a pure Filipino, I may say you are right. Donations should be given with concrete measures. I am from Cebu but not the affected part. We are in the southern part and the poor ones are in the Northern part. We are planning to give our simple contributions may it be cash or kind this coming Saturday.

We are crying deep in our hearts even we are smiling in our daily work these week. smile We are Filipinos. We are happy people. smile

I am happy that in my village, we are now making sign boards to receive donations from fellow villagers and just this time one pledge his pick up car for delivery. Another a while ago just gave one sack of rice, since Filipinos are rice eating people. We like rice. smile

I wonder how other countries gave their simple donations. Here are some photos.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8508397_f248.jpg

1. Alphapx profile image60

My friends and family out there in Tacloban City and Leyte including Cebu told me that it is about 12, 000 now are affected. 2 days ago it was only about 10,000.

It is sad to know and think that many children are begging along the road as we passed by with the bus.

We are now packing with the goods. Probably we will be in North Cebu morning of Saturday. We are blessed with good people around our small village

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8509090_f248.jpg

17. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Writer Fox,

Great idea for this forum.  I haven't read through the replies, but in 1980 I was working at a non-profit agency.  I came to our Director and asked what he thought about the annual report of OXFAM America.  He was VERY IMPRESSED and said that they had one of the highest ratios of donation to cost of operation that he had seen.  We have contributed monthly to OXFAM through all these years.  They are documenting their efforts here: 
    http://www.oxfam.org/en/emergencies/phi … oon-haiyan

There is a link to their typhon blog on that page as well.

This is an agency that is extremely well-respect and always seem to have "boots on the ground" and ready to go.

18. Writer Fox profile image32

The situation is getting worse.  Read this account:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/13/world … on-haiyan/

I read the entire article without watching the videos. I am glad some relief efforts are being initiated. This will undoubtedly be a long haul in the months to come. ***

19. profile image52
    arshiacomposted 10 years ago

I am a resident of india but do tell me if you have any problem.

There are many problems.

20. lisa maria jones profile image58
    lisa maria jonesposted 10 years ago

My heart goes out to them all,i will say a pray for each and every one of them.amen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)