300,000 Views and Counting!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

I just reached 300,000 views yesterday, May 19th, 2014, on my 101 hubs that are left after I deleted almost half of them a couple of years ago. My decision to remove certain hubs was based on Google's Panda issues back at that time. I really think those hubs were pulling the others down, since the traffic from Google picked up after I cleaned house.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

congrats!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well done! smile

3. Katrina1981 profile image60
      Katrina1981posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome!!  I'm a newbie.  Hopefully, I can reach that status one day!  Happy Hubbing!

Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages Katrina. I just read and commented on your hub on trauma and found it very interesting. Twelve hubs in two weeks and all featured! That's quite an achievement!

4. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8977826_f248.jpg
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

Thank you Quill. Good to see you around. Can't believe it's already been two years since we had our local HubPages meetups.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glenn   I found this interesting because I have constantly fought with myself about removing my lower performing hubs so that I can eventually have fewer niches.  When you "cleaned house" what parameters did you use?  I'd really like to know.  Thanks...and congrats on having the guts to make this happen for yourself!

Matt Cutts explained in Google's webmaster blog that low quality pages on a site can pull down the ranking of the entire site. So I had to determine which of my hubs were hurting the rest when Panda was first released.

I start by looking at the total views from when I first publish a hub. If it's picking up. I wait patiently. If not, I try to figure out what's wrong.

Determining what's low quality is not easy. Poor performance could be due to mismatched keywords or other SEO issues. So it takes some research and analysis using Google Analytics.

As I mentioned earlier, deleting hubs is the last straw after ruling out all other issues. So do everything else first, including updating and adding content to existing hubs.

I discovered that Google likes it when articles are updated, if done right. It can bring new life to underperforming hubs.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glenn  I always check out the competition.  If it is too high, I know why my well written hub is getting low views and will never get high ones...so I delete!  I had some good ones on Breast Cancer awhile back, but they just could not compete with medical articles about that subject...so off they went!

That's right. I have discovered the same thing with medical related articles. There's too much competition in that field. The only solution that may work to some degree is to write about personal experiences. People do search for that type of information. Hope you're okay.

2. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 9 years ago

congrats smile

3. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 9 years ago

Congratulations Glenn!  You are an excellent writer.

4. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

Congratulations, Glenn. That's a great statistic!

5. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8968787_f248.jpg

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Neat-O. I am crawling ever so slowly towards 100K. It might be a few more months but I'll get there!!!

You'll get there before you know it. And an Accolade will be waiting for you! smile

7. Glenn Stok profile image97

RachaelOhalloran, Christy Kirwan, starme77, Rock_nj, AliciaC, and Writer Fox, Thanks so much for your compliments.

8. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 9 years ago

Congratulations, and thanks for input re the action you took.

9. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! I am also working towards 100k. Might have to clean out my own house, there are about 15 hubs that are too short and get no traffic from my early days...

Suzanne, 

Don't be too quick to delete your hubs. Not getting traffic does not mean they are lacking quality. It might be a problem with mismatched keywords that Google is picking out of your content. Try to investigate with Google Analytics to see if you can isolate the issue.

And if you feel they are too short, you may want to add more content to them. When I read old hubs of mine, I usually think of more I can elaborate on that I didn't think of the first time I wrote them. Why not try that?

When I said I deleted hubs, it was the last straw after ruling out all other issues. Also keep in mind that when you delete hubs, it reduces your total view count by those totals. It took me that much longer to build that up again. 

Hope that helps.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glenn. These are hubs I have nothing of value to add to, I don't even like them anymore. But I will check their views before deleting and if they're under 500 views for their lifetime of 3 years, then they're really not worth worrying about keeping. Probably best way is to unpublish, see what happens, then decide.

That's what I do too Suzanne. I look at the total views from the start and that becomes part of my decision criteria.

2. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glenn, congratulations on this milestone. That is impressive.
        I wonder if traffic views are counted on unpublished hubs?
        smile

Hi Peg, Yes. I had left unpublished hubs a while before completing them and the traffic views are included in HP's totals during the unpublished time period. But those views are obviously only my own. Google Analytics is much more accurate since I can block my own views from the total count.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
            PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Glenn. I meant to question whether hub views on unpublished hubs remain in the total count. If so, it would be valuable just to un publish rather than delete those views from our grand totals.

Peg - I never unpublished a published hub and left it that way. So I don't know if the totals get removed in that case. In my prior reply I was referring to unpublished hubs that were not yet ever published.

I only know for sure that the totals get deducted when we fully delete a hub. Maybe someone else can chime in with the answer.

10. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 9 years ago

Congratulations!  That's an impressive number.  Enjoy the journey forward.

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Good for you, Glen, your strategy worked to your advantage. Congratulations on an impressive milestone!

12. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 9 years ago

Congrats! You are an inspirations for us all! Thank you so much for sharing!

13. Glenn Stok profile image97

RTalloni, Suzanne Day, MsDora, janshares, GmaGoldie -- Wow! Thank you every one of you for those nice comments.

1. Damanee Bailey profile image60
      Damanee Baileyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can you give us some tips on how to reach that number of viewership?

Damanee, I see you're new here. When I was just starting out the views were next to nothing for me. Give it time. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged by a slow start. It took me a year before I even made enough to get my first payout. Now it's every month. You'll get there too. Welcome to HubPages.

14. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Congrats Glenn. I am only getting close to 100,000. Your writing is fantastic, and you should be very proud of your contributions to the site. You have helped me with questions needing answers and about authorship.

Thank you, Audrey, for such a wonderful testimonial.

15. PhilAvent profile image61
    PhilAventposted 9 years ago

Congrats, that's a milestone to be proud of. I'm new here with one lonely hub so I'm looking forward to my first 100 views.

Phil, Welcome to HubPages. I just read your first hub and you did a great job. It was a fun read.

16. Vvitta profile image78
    Vvittaposted 9 years ago

What a huge number! This is a motivation for me to word harder at producing better hubs. I a also wondering about your comment of removing weak hubs leading to increasing traffic on other hubs. Why does this happen? Anyone care to explain??

Actually it's not such a huge number. Take a look at Writer Fox, he has over 800,000.

The reason why I removed my poor performing hubs and why it helped increase overall traffic is based on Google's algorithm. Matt Cutts explained in Google's webmaster blog that low quality pages on a site can pull down the ranking of the entire site. That's why it helped to remove them.

The decision to determine what's low quality is a difficult one. Many times an article is not doing well for other SEO reasons and not quality in and of itself. So it takes some research using Webmaster tools and keyword analysis. I'm no expert, but I do my best with what I learn.

17. IJR112 profile image60
    IJR112posted 9 years ago

That's big-time!  Congrats!

1. Damanee Bailey profile image60
      Damanee Baileyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am new to hubpages....... the amount of views is calculated intto earnings?

Earnings is based on Google AdSense and the HubPages Ad Program. See http://hubpages.com/faq/#royalties

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Thanks.

18. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

Well done and congratulations, Glenn Stok for your 300,000 views. I think that is an awesome achievement for you in Hubpages.

Thanks, Linda. And I just enjoyed reading your poem about your garden paradise.

19. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 9 years ago

Congratulations Glenn! That is a fantastic achievement, on such few hubs too. I reached 100,000 views a while back but my daily traffic has decreased by 50% because of the latest Panda algorithm change. I don't know what to do; write more hubs or try to add more content to my current hubs. I hope that my traffic will pick up soon.

300,000 is a huge number, only worthy of the best. 
    I wish you many more! smile

Thanks for the well-wishes Susi. I do both... I write new hubs when I have something to write about; and I also add to existing hubs to keep them updated. As for Panda, I had removed many hubs that Panda didn't like so that Google would rank the remaining hubs better. My traffic doubled with half the hubs by doing that.

20. BeyondGS profile image78
    BeyondGSposted 9 years ago

Great job! That's quite an accomplishment. I'm hoping that the views I get continue to move up as well. You never can predict which of your hubs will do well until you've done everything you can to update/edit.

I found that helped my profile views as well cleaning house when needed. Some just needed to be fixed, but others were a lost cause. Keep up the great work!

Beyond - I get surprises sometimes with my hubs. Just as you said, I see great traffic changes when I least expect it. The thing to do is to take that into account when writing other hubs. Over a period of time we get to learn what brings in the traffic and what doesn't. Thanks for the compliments.

21. Jeba Princy profile image56
    Jeba Princyposted 9 years ago

Congrats keep up the good work

22. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 9 years ago

Well done-I do wish there was an accolade between 100,000 and a million! It would be nice to celebrate the achievement !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)