Before you steal my content ....

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (45 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

I have noticed that some of my hubs are copied and pasted onto other sites within days of me publishing them, which suggests to me that some of the thieves may be among my followers here on hp.

Well, I now have a new approach to dealing with those who steal my work. In addition to filing DMCAs etc, I will be writing hubs to specifically name offenders who publish my hubs without permission.

I just published one about a funeral home that chose to use text from one of my hubs on facebook. There's a bunch of other sites I intend to focus on in coming weeks.  So if you have stolen any of my hubs, now is the time to remove them from your website.

If they show up in the search engines the next time I look, I'll be after you. lol.

....  And to everyone else, I'll let you know how my new approach pans out. You might decide to try it as well. smile

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If it is members of the site who are stealing your content, you may find that choosing to deal with them in a manner which actually is a violation of the HubPages TOS doesn't work as well for you as you are hoping it will.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, LTM, I think you're wasting your time and effort.   The real thieves won't care, and most people (like the funeral home) won't even know about your "name and shame" Hub anyway.   If it is a Hubber and you can identify them, reporting them to HubPages will be far more effective than creating a Hub about them. 

If Hubs are stolen within days of publishing, it's because there are people who use automated systems to "scrape" new Hubs as they appear.   There are some sites which scrape hundreds at a time. 

Where a small business has used one of your articles, I would contact them direct, explain your article is copyright and that it can't be used without payment.  Tell them you are willing to let them use the article for your usual payment of $50. I've been paid twice that way!  And the ones that weren't willing to pay, apologised and removed the article.  Most of them had got someone to produce some articles for them and had no idea they were stolen.

LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's one way but not the only way hubs are stolen, Marisa. Let me give you an example ...

I recently visited the profile page of a new follower and discovered they'd followed over 400 hubbers (and were still following more at the time of my visit according to their activity list) with only a couple of hubs published. I googled their text and discovered the hubs were copied from other websites. Flagged them of course.

Am I to believe that individual hubber only copies content from other sites to feature on hp, and that it won't work in reverse?

I understand that hubs will still be scraped, but I certainly don't intend to ignore the likelihood that there are a number of hubbers currently following me who may well be involved in the copying of my content.

Too early to say yet just what effect my new approach will have, but here on the forums I am giving fair warning to people considering stealing my content that I will not only report them - I will also use the search engines to draw attention to them. 

I'm a writer. I write original content. I am about to see if my skill in writing interesting hubs (that includes reference to people who cross me) helps to deter them. I don't believe in wasting effort ...and I don't believe in parting with anything I write for a mere $50.

I certainly won't spend all my time doing it, but if I see a good hub idea that provides me with the opportunity to highlight an offender, you can bet I'm going to take it.

Just filing DMCAs year after year is too passive for me. I've decided to take an active interest in exactly who is following me ... and who is stealing my content. I like to think in their notifications they'll be pointed towards this forum thread, so they get the chance to stop doing it before I tackle them. smile

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

I'll have to go and search the TOS, relache. Do you have a hint you could offer me?

I've read them again, relache. Nothing there to indicate a problem with my hub as far as I can see.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Either you didn't actually read the terms or your comprehension was extremely shallow.  The worst case scenario possible from the strategy you are planning is that YOUR entire account would be closed/banned. 

In all the years I've been with HubPages (almost eight) and with all the stolen content I've had to chase down and defend (sometimes over and over for years), I've never even had to begin to consider risking my account here.  But if you want to do that, you just go knock yourself out, honey.

3. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

That's a slippery slope that could land you in hot water legally also.  Companies don't take kindly to slander and I've often found it's the companies they hire to write their material that steal it, without the company always knowing.  Be very careful about talking negatively about businesses in hubs unless you have absolute proof they knowingly ripped you off - and even then, I'd still consider other options. 

Writing scathing reprimands risks making you look angry and/or unprofessional to others.  While I understand your frustrations completely! Believe me I do - the DMCA complaints and proper channels are the best bet.  There will always be scrapers and content thieves etc.  The real problem is only if they start to outrank you or really steal your traffic.  Most of the time, this is not the case - even though it is still frustrating!

If you get a chance to view the hub, ChristinS, I'd be interested in hearing if you think it fits the description you offer. I'm thinking it is fair and reasonable to offer them as an example, and I included an image of evidence.

It is included in a wider discussion. Do you think the hub itself is a problem?

1. ChristinS profile image40
        ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this hub is a problem.  I mean this in the nicest possible way - it looks like a personal rant disguised within what could have otherwise been very informative and interesting content.  This is risking your HP account and in my mind, it screams "unprofessional" .  I get the urge to fight fire with fire - but it isn't appropriate and you need to be the bigger person here.

4. LongTimeMother profile image92

Just reviewed the new hub and noticed when I split a large capsule I failed to delete the text from its previous location, plus a typo or two. Fixed them and will take a look at it again tomorrow, (very late local time here now) but I'm still thinking this hub has value.

I'll be interested to see what other hubbers think. Thanks.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

LongTimeMother, I hear your frustrations, terrible to have your work stolen. I read (skimmed) your hub and I had to keep going through it a couple times to figure out your angle. Is it about how to start a funeral business or about copyright violation? I wasn't sure of the direction until I got to the end and it does seem to lean more toward you addressing copyright violation with warnings to those who attempt to steal. Anyway, maybe relache and Christin have valid concerns. But it is weird that text from your article is under that business name which has nothing to do with each other. I hope it resolves okay for you.

6. LongTimeMother profile image92

Because I respect the voice/s of experience, I have unpublished the hub and will submit it to hp for evaluation before publishing it again.  (Don't want to wake in the morning to a drama.)

I'm not feeling it is a rant because I'm not angry. I've actually been smiling and enjoying the opportunity to create a useful and educational hub whilst making the point to stop copying our hubs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'll check it out.

7. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

It does sound risky and could be considered as slander. I agree with you that some followers are here to copy content. I've been worrying whenever someone follows me that has zero hubs and no profile info.

I've found hubs that have a sentence or two the same as mine. I figure it is just a coincidence since it is on the same topic.

1. classicalgeek profile image83
      classicalgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Slander is spoken. Libel is written.

2. Suzanne Day profile image92
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is not slander or libel if it is the truth. It is only slander or libel if it is embellished or untrue.

8. ChristinS profile image40

Ok, I know we aren't supposed to post links  - but this is not a link to my own work, but a link to a story that highlights the risks of talking negatively about companies - even if it is a true statement.  It's a little different as this company is suing someone who left them a negative review on Amazon - but things like this happen and the companies have been winning. 

Here's one example http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/thi … w-20140507

There are others - Google it.  I'm not saying it isn't true what she says about the people taking her work and printing it.  I'm saying it's risky to call it out publicly - for several reasons.  Take from it what you will.  I don't want to see a fellow hubber get burned though smile.

9. LongTimeMother profile image92

My hub still looks fine to me, but I'm waiting for hp's opinion. I will be surprised if there is a problem with us stating facts supported by evidence in a non-ranty kind of way.

Will let you know the outcome.

1. KawikaChann profile image82
      KawikaChannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, having content stolen is a common issue - there are safeguards that Hubpages 'can' equip our hubs with, but it may not be in their best interest to do so at this time for whatever reason.  The safeguard in particular is a feature that will make it impossible for someone to use the copy and paste feature in any Hubpages article.  This may not sound like much, but there are people out there that will tend to avoid sites with this feature because it will slow them down. 
      I have three hubs that have had some or all of it's contents stolen.  Same person I assume since the websites are all touristy and foreign.
      I also have a little phrase that I incorporate in all my pieces so that I can do a google search and make sure my stuff, is my stuff.
      Good luck with this, if nothing else concludes, take it as a compliment that your content is worthy of stealing...lol.  It's just one of those things you know?  Peace.  Kawi.

10. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't think it would be bad to list names if it is the truth and you can offer proof. However, let HP decide if the hub in question is OK. So far as the TOS's, many can be vague or misunderstood regardless of what some keep saying......(again and again and again)

BTW...love your hubs. I wish I could go off the grid too!!!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9078723_f248.jpg

lol. Thanks Luis. smile

11. msdielise profile image60
    msdieliseposted 9 years ago

I am pretty new in hubpages, I didn't know that this incident could happen!

I am worried that my hubs will be copied as well! sad

12. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I am interested to hear the outcome LTM. I hope HP approves you hub. You should be able to name and shame if you have proof.

13. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

What's up Jodah! Name and shame? You know I like that one...

14. LongTimeMother profile image92

Still waiting for a reply to my emails to the team, and Paul. I appreciate it has been the weekend so I'll be patient a while longer.

Thanks to those of you offering encouragement.  smile

15. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 9 years ago

Also apart from the possible legal implications, why waste the energy?  File your DMCA, get the offending copied content taken down and then move on.

Life really is too short and you will probably find more success and bigger earnings from concentrating on writing fresh material.  In addition, any publicity is publicity, so why give them any further web space at all?

16. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Just want to say that I hear where LTM is coming from - the frustration and anger that it is so easy for these sub-human morons who have no redeeming quality - who are thieves and garbage stealing from people trying to make an honest living - who deserve every bit of bad kharma that may come their way - and that personally I hope die a lonely painful death...

Well anyway.  I hear what you are saying.  No point in pussying around.

They are filth.

17. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thanks for the interest and feedback, fellow hubbers. I am pleased to learn that my comprehension skills are not shallow, lol, and I am not risking my hp account.

My Hub has been reviewed and the hp team advised me it does not violate their publishing policies. "You may now publish your Hub."

Well, that puts us back to where this thread began ... smile

BTW, I did not write the hub with the intention of attracting hubber comments. I'm interested in attracting funeral directors. If you go for a look, I'd appreciate hubber comments back here in the forums instead of changing the 'tone' of my hub.

Thanks.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LTM, it's good news your hub was accepted. I felt you got some harsh comments here. I am going to check it out. I am glad you stood up for what you believe.

18. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thank you, Jodah.

Perhaps I made a mistake suggesting that other hubbers might like to consider this approach. I obviously made the incorrect assumption that experienced hubbers think like I do. lol.

After the dramatic buildup, you may well find it surprisingly benign. smile

19. LongTimeMother profile image92

Just had a rethink. Because there's always a possibility that hubbers might have an opinion about funerals, I have simply activated the need for approval before displaying comments.  Thanks.

20. kndashy41 profile image74
    kndashy41posted 9 years ago

I've was attracted to this discussion because I have 10 featured hubs and I chose to copyright all of them.  Are you guys saying that these folks can steal the hub even if I click the copyright tag before it's published?  Jeez! That's scary and nerve racking!

21. Penny Warugus profile image62
    Penny Warugusposted 9 years ago

what? is this happening? i will really get mad when i get my articles published in other websites without my authorization.

22. ChristinS profile image40

I'm sorry dissenting opinions are "too harsh" and "dramatic" especially when they were asked for.  Apparently some people here on this thread believe criticism of an idea - equals being mean.  I was simply being honest and attempting to be helpful.

Lying to people about your take on their hubs when they ask for opinions does no one any favors.  If I ask for a critique on a specific piece of work, I would want honest opinions.  If I can't take those opinions as helpful or for how they are intended, I don't ask.

LTM, glad you got it sorted, sorry you feel the need to be defensive about it. I happen to have a different take on the subject and perhaps you've changed the hub some from how it  initially read.  Regardless, I hope it goes well for you.

Off to work I go.

I would simply add that content scraping happens ALL the time.  Many companies who have stolen content on their sites are NOT aware of it.  It's not an excuse, but they hire "writers" and companies in good faith to develop their content, and then the providers use stolen content.  I would feel awfully bad trashing the reputation of a company who is perhaps not in the know and undeserving, just to soothe my own urge to be mad that my content was scraped for the bazillionth time.

I've had that happen to several of my hubs.  Other ones are just scumbag, low life thieves who fully intend to steal and don't care.  Regardless, I don't see how calling them out publicly in hubs helps, but if it makes you feel better and doesn't get you in hot water legally or with HP then go for it. More power to you.

1. Jodah profile image92

ChristinS, i wasn't referring to on of your advice to LTM as harsh. They appeared genuinely helpful and in good faith. It was someone else's comments.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Hey, ChristinS. Yes, I asked for opinions and actively responded to them, which is why I unpublished the hub and sent it for review.  Thanks to everyone who led me to that decision.

You have to admit though, being told that I 'didn't actually read the terms' (of service) or that my 'comprehension was extremely shallow' could certainly be considered 'harsh'. I agree with Jodah. I think I copped some harsh comments. But nobody said they were from you. smile

It seems to me you're being defensive, which really isn't necessary - and I don't understand why you're saying I'm being defensive about it. I'm simply explaining my point. So when you read what I write on forums or in hubs, please imagine me being cool and calm and rational. Don't put a filter over my words that make me appear to be shrieking and defensive.

It really isn't like that. I am happy to have conversations with differing viewpoints.

Oh, and no. I haven't changed the text of the hub, and do in fact think it might be a bit of a disappointment for anyone expecting me to have written it with guns blazing. smile

23. LongTimeMother profile image92

Hi Jodah ... and others who left comments on the hub we've been discussing.

Thanks for reading it and thanks for your comments, but I didn't approve them because they'd make no sense to readers who visit the hub via search engines.

I'll be restricting comments there to discussion specifically about the topic of the hub, not my reason for writing it.

Thanks though. smile

24. Melissa Noon profile image69
    Melissa Noonposted 9 years ago

That is one of my fears about posting on this site. I'm been here less than six days and I have seen a lot of posts about people stealing.  Does work get stole a lot from this site? And how do you find out if your work has been stolen?

25. LongTimeMother profile image92

To the new hubbers who have commented on this thread ...

Hello, and welcome to HP.  Sorry I'm not answering your questions directly, but there's lots already written in forums and hubs and help pages on the topic of identifying stolen hubs and how to take action against the thieves.

The approach I'm adding is clearly different to the norm. smile However I also lodge formal complaints through the channels you will learn about as you spend more time reading and exploring hp.

Content is stolen from all over the internet, not just hp. At least at hp you'll have access to other writers who can help advise you.

Good luck.

26. LysaSomwell profile image58
    LysaSomwellposted 9 years ago

If the articles were copied, Hub administrators will eventually know.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your articles are copied it is not the responsibility of the HubPages staff to get them taken down.  Go to the Learning Centre and read up on what to do if your content is copied

1. Suzanne Day profile image92
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or visit this new hub of mine about plagiarism: <link snipped>

27. LongTimeMother profile image92

Google traffic is reaching that hub. smile

1. Jodah profile image92

Good stuff LTM.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)