How many Hubs do you have that are NOT featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

I have 6 out of 210 hubs.  I've tried improving them but they still have a big old goose egg.  I'm still not sure what it means when they aren't featured.  I mean people still read them...

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have 4 out of 4 hubs featured, I am an active commenter, and I have a hubber score of 73. (Yes, my horse is dead, and yes, I do plan on beating it.)

2. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have 49 hubs, all featured. I have had a few unfeatured in the past and changed titles, added pictures, polls, videos, got rid of a pixelated photo. If I had numerous hubs, it might be difficult to keep up. I am shooting for 100, but I am slow. Faster,. faster, faster will do it.

Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, I just revamped them all so we'll see what happens.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brie, what is the symbol next to those unFeatured Hubs?

If it's a white circle, that means it has failed the QAP.   In your case, I think that's unlikely.

If it's a half moon (half white, half black) then it's unFeatured for lack of traffic.   In that case, tweaking the Hub may not make much difference - editing will send it back through QAP so it will be Featured for a short while, but then it will lapse back into  unFeatured again. 

You need to ask yourself WHY it's not getting traffic.  It may just be that it's a subject people aren't searching for, in which case there's no point doing anything further with it.   Or it could be you're not using the right keywords, or you could improve your title, or you could add some more depth.

It's a circle.

If this doesn't do it I'm just going to unpublish it.  I'm tired of dealing with them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

If it's a completely white circle (not half black, half white) then it has failed QAP.   

I took a look at the Hub you linked - I'd say it failed because it's just a block of text, with no headings or sub-headings.   People like to scroll down on the internet to find things that interest them, so a solid block of text doesn't work well.  I'd try adding some headings.

It's also possible you're being penalised for your 'related Hubs' section.  That's now frowned on.   If the other Hubs were part of a series it would be fine, but some of them seem only tenuously related.

Also, note that putting an Amazon or eBay capsule on the end of a Hub rarely, if ever, results in sales - and it may just tempt your reader to click on it instead of your "next" or "previous" Hubs.

It's now featured.

4. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All of my 104 hubs are featured.  About six months or so ago, I had deleted about 10 to 12 featured hubs because they were poetry and haiku poetry and such, but now I wished I had not done so, especially being they were featured.  They were really some of my favorite, but I did not think HP would keep them up in score long.  At the time, I did not think about all of the views being taken away and all of lovely comments on them, which I always appreciate..  I have found that sometimes it is as simple as tweaking your title and then the hub is back featured pretty fast.

I just unpublished some of them.  So, if I want to I can re-publish them again down the road.

1. Faith Reaper profile image82

Yes, that is a good idea and then when you have time to tweak the titles a bit or add a poll, video, quiz and such, they should be featured again.

5. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have absolutely no idea how many featured or not-featured Hubs I have. Just never took the time to count either way.

6. it-solution profile image56
      it-solutionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please friends, follow me on hubpage and give me short tips how I can approve adsense account through Hubpage? I have already 7 featured hubs and I applied for adsense. But they tell me that my hubpage website has not sufficient content? How can I get adsense account approved and get more visitors?

7. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was not much active in Hubpages for approximately four years and large numbers of my hubs were removed from featured category. Hubpages has been changed during these years.

I followed instructions and started editing all these hubs not featured. With in few days I could edit and improve  several of my hubs and all these are featured. I have to edit few more hubs and I believe that all of my hubs will be featured very soon.

2. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 9 years ago

I have zero out of 31 featured hubs. You can turn your unfeatured hubs into featured hubs if you check them for plagiarism via copyscape.com or any other online plagiarism checker. I am pretty sure that your unfeatured hubs will be published as featured if there is no plagiarism. Try it out!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I've got 132 hubs...

(switches to Barry White voice)

...and they alllllllllll featured, baby....

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

All of my hubs are featured, but non-featured status could be due to several things. 

Some ideas are controversial topics, not enough content, lack of engagement is a big one (add polls or videos to make hubs more interactive) Sometimes something as simple as a title change and adding a supporting video or resource can make all the difference.  Other reasons might be over-saturation. If there are already several hubs with the same title or something for instance.  I'm guessing since you have the vast majority featured, it's not going to be things like layout or large chunks of never ending text or things like that - but those aesthetic issues could be a factor as well for some people.

All of my hubs have several images, most have polls, a couple have quizzes, many have videos and nearly all have links to other related resources that tie directly into the content or have suggested reading/supporting materials of some sort.

Maybe something here will help smile.

All of them have videos and pictures and some have polls.  All are near the 700 - 1200 word mark.  I'll check for plagiarism.  I have no warnings on them.

5. Pico Triano profile image88
    Pico Trianoposted 9 years ago

All my published hubs are featured at this point. I'm sure with time that will change. At the rate I'm going 210 hubs is a long way away.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

When you are in edit do you notice any warnings, even minor comments? Are all videos working?

There are no warnings or minor comments and all the videos are working.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
        Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brie,

If you would like me to, I can move this Forum discussion to the Improving Your Hub Forum so you can post links to your unFeatured Hubs and maybe get some specific feedback. Would that be helpful?

Sure that would be great.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
            Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This thread is now in the Improving Your Hub Forum. Go ahead and post links to your unFeatured Hubs. You won't be moderated. smile

Well I just re-edited them..I will post them if they are still not featured.  Thanks

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60

Ok, here is one I just tweaked and it still came back unfeatured:

http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/hub/Fat-Calories

1. janshares profile image93
                jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brie, I think it's a good article, excellent topic, just too short. See if you can stretch it with more content, maybe a few more pics.

OK revamped it again.  I think 2 pictures is enough..I just added a little more content or comic relief..whatever.

I really don't get it though, I mean I've seen much worse here on HP.  Sure I don't think this is my ultimate in HP articles but I also don't think it's bad enough not to be featured.

Okay, it's not up yet(?), seeing the same one, so I'll check back in a few.

2. Glenn Stok profile image94
                Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brie, I just read that hub and I have some ideas for you to try. The writing itself is not a problem. You write well and you express your thoughts well.

So what's the problem? I'm wondering if you may have an issue with readers leaving too soon. Check the stats > hub metrics > view duration to see if people are not sticking around long enough to read the whole thing.

How can reader retention be improved?

1. Make it easier on the eyes. You have a small image right below the main image.  Then nothing else but text, with big paragraphs. Try moving the smaller image down to break up the text. And add a meaningful caption under it. While you're at it, include attribution to where you got it. And make sure you have rights to use it on a commercial site. Since you get paid for your hubs, HP is considered commercial. Not all licenses include that.

2. Break the text up into smaller paragraphs. Sometimes people click away without reading when they see huge paragraphs on a page. If you have a lot of readers clicking away in a few seconds, that can hurt you too.

3. Add a couple of subtitles to bring out the subject of individual sections. When people start off, they may scan first. If they see subtitles that reflect well on the subject, they are more inclined to read your article.

What else?

You have two Amazon ads but no reference to what they are about. It took me a moment to realize that they do indeed relate to the subject, but most people will never pay attention. I did only because I was studying what needed to be done to get you featured.

So, try adding some discussion about how those Amazon items can be used to help with losing weight.  Place those ad capsules at the same location where you talk about them. But keep them separated - maybe one in the middle and the other at the end.

These are things I consider when I write hubs. Out of my 102 published hubs, all are featured.

It's still being considered but I'll look into it if it doesn't get featured.

7. profile image48
    Cameron MacDonaldposted 9 years ago

Same problem

8. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Zero unfeatured Hubs.

+1

9. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

Zero unfeatured.

10. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

Finally, they featured it.  Thanks for all your help!

1. incomeguru profile image95
      incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Awesome!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Finally! Good for you.

11. Virginia Lea profile image73
    Virginia Leaposted 9 years ago

Well, I just got about 13 featured hubs out of maybe 30...? But I have been deleting and editing a lot of old ones. So the number is constantly changing. I only have like a total of 4 unfeatured ones.

12. it-solution profile image56
    it-solutionposted 9 years ago

I have not any unfeatured hub. My hub score is 71

1. it-solution profile image56
      it-solutionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now my score is 75.

13. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72
    Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years ago

Brie, I am puzzled by the two big, fat, bold, brightly colored links you placed on that hub inviting readers to sign up to hp (and give you a slice of their earnings).

I thought we were only supposed to feature that kind of link off-HP, not on our hubs.

Did the hub become featured with those links in place ... or did you add them after it was featured?

It was on there all the time..I didn't know you weren't supposed to put things like that on your hubs.  Where does it say that?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I'm sure it's buried in the Learning Centre somewhere, but Baby-Boomer is probably recalling a spate of "unpublishing" that happened a while back, of Hubs which featured "big bold links". 

I think HubPages has quietly relaxed the rules somewhat, or perhaps new staff are interpreting them differently - for instance, at one time "watermarked" photos include any kind of text on a photo, then one day it was OK to create Made for Pinterest photos with big slogans (but you still weren't allowed a copyright notice), then several months later it was OK to put a "discreet" copyright notice.

So maybe those links are allowed now too?

Maybe ..if it isn't broke I'm not going to fix it!

2. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72
        Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The help section says "referral trackers are intended for use off of HubPages. Placing "Sign up for HubPages" links on Hubs is not recommended and could result in a moderation for Unrelated Links."  http://hubpages.com/faq/#affiliate

It crossed my mind that the two big links might have been the reason the hub was unpublished. From what you are saying, though, getting it published had nothing to do with your links.

They weren't unpublished, and I have one of those links on all of my over 200 hubs.

14. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Out of my 108, 3 are not featured.  Since I have an impressive figure of featured hubs, I am not worried. I will edit and submit the remaining three for verification taking my own time.

15. JoeYoung22 profile image86
    JoeYoung22posted 9 years ago

I only have 24 hubs, all of which are featured. I have seen a few occasionally slip into 'not featured - engagement' territory, but I soon steered them back into Feturedom.

16. bonda profile image43
    bondaposted 9 years ago

featuredom! I like that, that's the plan, the goal, destination, featuredom!

1. JoeYoung22 profile image86
      JoeYoung22posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's what I meant, Featuredom.

17. Elderberry Arts profile image91
    Elderberry Artsposted 9 years ago

Out of 153 hubs I have 2 that are not featured due to engagement. I tend to edit my hubs to get the hubscore up more than for if they are featured or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)