Amazon - AT LAST!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Just a quick note that after years of Amazon avoidance, I finally made a sale!

I used to use Amazon before Panda and made some sales, then it all died off and Google seemed to be rewarding me for NOT having Amazon on hubs, so I removed all my Amazon capsules. But recently I have added a couple of highly relevant ones for fun and got a sale at last!

Very impressed with my newly minted 53c.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congrats!

2. SusanDeppner profile image74
      SusanDeppnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on your sale!  Here's to many more!

3. FlourishAnyway profile image94
      FlourishAnywayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  I've wondered what others' experiences have been, so thanks for sharing your success.  In the 1 1/2 that I've been here, I've made just enough from Amazon to probably cover the price of a pizza.  But hey, it's something.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

FlourishAnyway, read my response to Michael - it applies to you, too.  There is absolutely no point in using an Amazon capsule if you can't think of a product your reader might want while reading your Hub.  Never, ever just throw one in for good luck, it's just a waste of real estate and could even be harmful. 

Using that criteria, most of your Hubs aren't suitable for Amazon items, except where you can find a book.  And it has to be a relevant book - for instance, you've got a book about how to write a resume on your Hub about workplace confict:  that won't sell.  A book about workplace conflict will, but you need to be able to recommend it with a short review too.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While I understand your point, someone reading about workplace conflict might find that updating a resume may be a very good idea.  I've seen this exact advice given in a workplace conflict article.  If it's mentioned in the text as a possible solution, it would be appropriate, in my opinion.  Sometimes it gets to the point that the only solution to workplace conflict is to find a new job.

True, but if there's no such recommendation in the Hub, then it's not a good idea. Did you see Paul Edmonson's post where he gave an example of a "tangentially related" Amazon product which resulted in a spam penalty?

1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
              Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because no one ever clicks on products they see on websites even if they lack recommendations and/or reviews? If so, I am a true anomaly.

Not at all, Kathleen.  That post was in response to a specific situation.  It was a Hub about workplace conflict, and it included an Amazon capsule for a book on how to write your resume.  That would be classed as 'unrelated'. 

RebekahELLE made the point that someone suffering workplace conflict might be better off getting a new job, and therefore would find the book useful.   Very true - but the Hub didn't say so.  If there had been a paragraph suggesting that solution, with the resume book next to it, that would have made it OK - and might have prompted the reader to click and buy.  I wasn't saying that a review or recommendation of the book itself was necessary (thought it wouldn't hurt!).

4. lady rain profile image93
      lady rainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's awesome! I am so happy for you smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image84

Congrats on the sale.  You've just illustrated why it's so difficult to draw conclusions about Google - when you make changes to your Hubs, and traffic goes up, it's tempting to think your changes caused the traffic increase.  When in fact, it could've been something completely different.   

As I commented on another thread, there was a bit of hysteria on HP for a while about how Google hated Amazon or eBay capsules.  I never saw any such thing on my websites, so I was always dubious. Besides, HP continued to allow one product per 50 words of text, and if they had really decided Amazon was bad, why would they allow so many?   

As you're discovering, the secret is to be highly relevant - that's what makes sales.

Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So true. The highly relevant ones I had were books next to book reviews and pet thingys in my pet hubs. If not highly relevant, it just won't work.

Plus use them sparingly. Too many Amazon capsules make it look spammy. I just put one per hub that is relevant, except for the book review lists.

In that case, I think you're missing an opportunity.   Your Hubs have huge potential for Amazon sales and your readers won't think they're spammy if you're providing something they need. 

For instance, delica beads in your delica bead Hub - I wouldn't know where to get them, so I'd find an Amazon ad very helpful. 

If someone is Googling for red peep toe shoes, they probably want to buy some.  I'd say those readers would be very disappointed to find a Hub showing some nice examples, with no information on how to buy - far from being spammy, they'd love to see a selection of red peep toes from Amazon.

TimeTraveller2 is going great guns with Amazon, take a look at her Hubs.

Will do. But I tend to avoid putting too many up because as I said, it looks spammy and I think readers want to check out the hub, then be "invited" to Amazon to purchase whatever they wish, with me providing a starting point to the shopping journey. I like them unobtrusive too. Might look at putting something on the delica etc as you suggested and see what happens - completely forgot about putting them in there wink

But how are you helping them with that shopping journey?   When they discover there are no peep toe shoes for sale on your peep toe Hub, aren't they more likely to click back to their search results?   How likely are they to read all the way down to the end of your Hub, where you might have an Amazon link.   It's well known that Amazon capsules at the end of a Hub never make sales, so I doubt an Amazon link would be followed either. 

It's your choice if you want to choose aesthetics over income, of course!

There is a capsule on the peep toes now! I think placement depends on what you are talking about. Eg on peeptoes, I have a para on where to buy them. Amazon fits well there. Whereas in delicas, there was a para on materials needed, further up, I put Amazon in there.

I understand - you've gotta be in it to win it. Will be reviewing more options for Amazon in my hubs. But I don't think I need to display as much as humanly possible, as I do want to avoid the spam look. TimeTraveller2's hubs are good because the Amazon is very relevant and isn't too tarted up (ie no giant right aligned blue boxes etc with titles etc making it look like a busy selling page).

I have seen hubs before where there is blue right aligned box after box with walls of text and this (just my opinion) is over the top and makes you want to leave the hub as it's selling too hard.

I agree, box after box is way too much.   I rarely have more than two Amazon capsules in my Hubs unless it's a comparison Hub (e.g. comparing different brands of ballet shoe, in which case I'll have one capsule for each brand - anything less wouldn't make sense).   I also don't use a blue background, I leave them white, which I think is less "in your face".

The blue background is good if you're just putting one capsule in which needs attention (like my red peep toes - now with functional capsule) or if you space them out with photos + text like Sallybea's (eg part of a much bigger layout). But maybe I've been seeing the wrong hubs and was turned off by many people using Amazon blue boxes in a wall of text (the reader just clicks away, doesn't like the hard looking sell).

If you think about how you'd like to be charmed onto Amazon for shopping as a reader, the Amazon links you'd often click on are highly relevant, look interesting/useful to the subject and aren't that in your face. They're just an additional icing on the topic. This is the way I'm going to attempt to sell, I think.

6. lovebuglena profile image84
      lovebuglenaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've had a bunch of sales on Amazon from HP but almost everything that was bought was not what I showcased in my hubs. Most bought items were totally irrelevant to the products I featured. Like for example someone bought baby tights and more than one, which I of course never featured. But hey, doesn't matter to me cause that made me money. Goes to show that it doesn't necessarily matter what products you advertise and if they buy them or not. So long as they go to Amazon through one of your links and buy anything you will earn.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Well done Suzanne. I still haven't made a sale from Amazon.

3. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Congrats Suzanne! That's faithful information! :-)

4. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

Congratulations, Suzanne! Hopefully you'll have many more Amazon sales in the future.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Congratulations Suzanne. Perhaps you should have just have left it where it was, closed the capsules and counted to ten and reopened them. lol

Probably wink but it didn't occur to me at the time!

6. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! Well done!

7. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Argh!  I'm so envious!  I've been here for about 5 weeks with 20 hubs and I still haven't seen one Amazon sale.  At this point, it feels more likely I'll see Bigfoot riding a unicorn before seeing that sweet Amazon commission.  smile  I digress, congratulations Suzanne!

Michael, looking at your Hubs, I wouldn't expect you to make many Amazon sales.  To make a sale from an Amazon capsule, the product needs to be DIRECTLY related to the subject of your Hub.  Anything else doesn't work, and is not only a distraction but risks you getting slapped by Google for an irrelevant link.

So for instance, in your Hub on air conditioners, the Amazon ads for air conditioners and evaporative coolers are fine - but the ads for pillows and towels need to go!    For your other Hubs, it's hard to think of Amazon items that would fit (except books, e.g.  on dating for your dating Hubs, and in that case you must choose specific books and add a short review). 

If you can't find an Amazon product that's directly related to your subject, don't use an Amazon capsule.  Ditto for eBay.  Both capsules provide pretty pictures that may distract your reader to click, even if they have no real interest in buying - and that means they've left your Hub, so you've lost the possibility of them clicking on another ad, or another of your Hubs.

This is not always true.  I'm sure many of us have made an indirect sale from one of our capsules.  Yes, you want the product displayed to relate to your hub, but that doesn't mean that you can't make a sale if someone decides to shop around once they've clicked on an Amazon capsule.

1. Chinaimport profile image78
          Chinaimportposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think Marisa is right. You should read about "Appropriate Use of Product Capsules"  for relevant information given in this guide. http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/HubP … d_23601919

I understand exactly what Marisa is saying and I'm familiar with the appropriate use of the Amazon capsule and I've read Paul E's posts.  All I said was that a sale can be made if someone clicks on a product capsule and decides to buy something else.  It happens.  I think we need to be careful in how we word statements in the forums.   smile

1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
              Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wish hubpages had a like button RebekahElle

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
                LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

At the bottom of each hub there is a pair of hands, one is thumbs up, the other thumbs down.  Also you can click among choices of useful, amazing, etc.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Rebekah, you're misunderstanding what I said.

If I could go back and change that post now (which I can't), I would say this:

"To make a sale from an Amazon capsule, the product needs to be DIRECTLY related to the subject of your Hub.  Anything else doesn't work, and is not only a distraction but risks you getting slapped by Google for an irrelevant link.

Once your reader has arrived at Amazon, they may browse around and buy something completely different, and that's fine - you will still receive the commission."

2. lovebuglena profile image84
        lovebuglenaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can still make a sale, and even more than one, even if the product featured is not exactly related to the content of the hub. What's important is that people go to Amazon through one of the product links. Then they can buy whatever they want and you still earn. I always try to feature relevant products but in the end most of the time what's bought has nothing to do with what I feature at all.

That's true, but the point is - your reader has to click on the link in the first place.   And they will not click on the link unless they're interested in the product.  Therefore the product has to be related to what brought them to your Hub in the first place.   

Once they've arrived at Amazon, they may well start browsing and stumble across something else they like.  That's why you see those unrelated products being sold. 

The other thing is that an unrelated Amazon product counts as an unrelated link, which could attract a spam penalty from Google (Paul Edmonson gave an example of one recently, and it wasn't even that unrelated).  It could also attract an unrelated link penalty from HubPages would cause the Hub to be unpublished.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I have been getting sales recently as well. Amazon has been hit and miss for over 2 years for me.

9. AudreyHowitt profile image79
    AudreyHowittposted 9 years ago

Congrats--I still don't understand that whole bit about Amazon on HP

Which bits of the whole bit don't you understand?  Can we help dispel the confusion for you?

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Hey, there you go!  big_smile

11. Sylvia Leong profile image87
    Sylvia Leongposted 9 years ago

Congratulations Suzanne Day!!!  I just realized that Amazon capsules existed a couple of months ago & started adding them to my Hubs.  I've had only one sale at the end of July & made a whopping 84 cents!  Cheers to many more Amazon sales as the months carry on! *Raises wine glass in a toast...

12. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your congrats! Can't wait for the next sale, though guessing from my history, it might be 8 months off wink Anyway, I thought nothing was going to happen and I have about 15 Amazon capsules up....so it only goes to show.

13. grand old lady profile image86
    grand old ladyposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! Your having reached this milestone is a source of inspiration to fellow hubbers, myself included:)

14. SimilarSam profile image46
    SimilarSamposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! May it be the first of many for you smile

15. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! I can see the smile all over your face lol. Wait, won't you celebrate it?

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Suzanne - I find that Amazon definitely works for me.  I went back to take a look at my sales and discovered that since February of this year, I have had 21 sales - albeit small but in my eyes, every little bit does count.  I was so surprised.
      Sally

Thank you for sharing, Sallybea. To be honest, I thought I was one of those people with a black thumb instead of a golden one (I usually am a black thumb, where everything you touch turns to xxx). So happily suprised Amazon is working as intended.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image61
        Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I went back and counted, I have 16 sales since January, but 7 of those have been in the last 35 days so things seem to be picking up!

16. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Marisa!  I know you're just giving me constructive criticism, but it really hurt my feelings.  =/  Recent studies show that ridiculously good looking people are very sensitive,  ergo I am very sensitive.  smile  I'm just being humorous, of course!  Thank you for your ninja-like insights, I will take it to heart.

17. Chinaimport profile image78
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Congratulations and thank you.

I was in the process of deleting all Amazon / eBay capsules, but it got delayed for reasons that I partly attribute to reading your post and my laziness.  Guess what? Yesterday some kind soul made a purchase via Amazon capsule, leaving behind enough change to buy a small cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Moral of the story? Sometimes it pays to be lazy.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do not delete. Simply put Amazon on hold, or check off the "Do not use" in Amazon capsules.

18. Elaine Davenport profile image60
    Elaine Davenportposted 9 years ago

That's nice. Thanks for the tip.

19. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I agree rebekahELLE:  I just went through my Amazon account to see what was sold. From one of my personal sites, 2 items that sold for between 200-400 were sold, delivered, and were not one of the products I had shown. In fact, the products I showed were cheaper.  You can have a hub, a blog about gardening and yard decor.  One of your viewers may end up clicking on one of your products, and order a refrigerator.  You never know.  I have nothing to do with video games yet one of my recent sales was just that.    Suzanne:  I have only been doing affiliate marketing and writing for a couple of years.  I made sales here and there but nothing to even make payout through Amazon
    Associates Program. This past year, sales are piling up, one at a time.  I check my own Amazon reports and was totally shocked at how much was sold from my own blogs and sites.  I have started seeing sales  with my hubs this year as well. 
    By the way, I don't get a ton of traffic.  I have been  on HP for 2-3 years  and have not hit 10,000 views with the hubs that I have left on here. My oldest hub right now is  15 months old.

Don't give up. You have nothing to lose by using Amazon capsules other than sales by removing them.

20. DJ Beatty profile image57
    DJ Beattyposted 9 years ago

So you're saying as long as they follow you like you can earn amazon affiliate income if the purchase it not the actual product.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)