Hub Scores-Don't You Just Love Them

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (112 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Hub with over 800 words of content.  My own photos.  A video added. 3 Amazon Products that are hub content related.

A whopping hub score of 49

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Take out two products, and add another 400 words.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that's relevant.  The score does not look at that ratio.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That could work, but there's just no telling with hub scores. It's best to ignore them--I've got comparable hubs with scores ranging from 72 to 100.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
          fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jayne....Thank you for using the "I" word (ignore !)   I do read all the posts on disappointment and fretting and all the "whys?"   I feel the pain because I think the vast majority of us deal with this continually.
          The reality is, it DOES become frustrating and disillusioning.  Yet, as I read these posts, it's clear while some people try to console or suggest "reasons and/or solutions"....I have come to the conclusion it's pretty much like discussing the weather.  There's not whole lot most of us can do about these issues and they're always CHANGING.
          Personally, I simply had to cease and desist checking, looking, comparing and caring.  I honestly don't need the added stress or concern.
          Since I made that decision, I do feel a lot more at peace......proving to myself that "Ignorance is Bliss,".......even though I have always hated that phrase!!    sigh........

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91

Exactly--it's like the weather, and there's absolutely nothing we can do to influence it. Actually, it's worse than the weather, because we can't possibly predict it. My highest scoring hub two weeks ago, which was then 98, has now fallen to the mid-80s. I haven't changed it in any way, so how can it be so much worse now than it was then? And if I try to 'improve' it, it'll probably sink even further. All totally non-sensical.

Sooooo  there it is.......Go figure.  Makes NO sense but definitely makes for frustration.  Best to pretend to be blind....breathe deep and hope this all ends SOONER rather than later!!  Whether there are 10 reasons  or 100 reasons or NONE that anyone can explain......it doesn't look like it's going to change how we're feeling.  What the HELL can be expected when there are robots judging QUALITY!!
              "Oh Yes, How do you do, Mr. Robot?   Shall we discuss the great moral of my last hub and what you think I might do to make it more interesting to those humans who read them??"

Well let's hope that at least the robots understand the scores they're allotting--it seems humans have never understood them in the entire history of HubPages.

The sad thing is, I'm becoming weary of it all....and I'm obviously not alone in this.  This is why I say maybe we should just keep on trudging along.....writing, reading, commenting and writing some more....and that's it.
                  Hell....I don't even understand some of the weird questions...like: "Why do the scores go up and down?"   I was so tempted to respond, "Because they can't go from side to side.!!!"....but I was afraid the poor hubber wouldn't get my sarcastic humor...and just think I was being rude (which I wouldn't have been)   So, I just let that one slide on by!   Don't know about anyone else, but I'm outta here for today.  Time to stretch out and relax!.....Thanks for the chat!

Haha--that answer would have been as good as any. smile

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78
            CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's easy to say stop caring about scores, but it is really hard for me to do. I feel judged.  I carefully check off the boxes, 1250 words or more, pictures labeled and attributed and use my own art or free art modified so it is original,  and extras (video, table, poll) as appropriate. Proof-read. Make sure the layout is pleasing to the eye (no really long capsules or long stretches of text without a visual beak.)  No excessive use of sales capsules. After all that I feel, I deserve a good "grade."  but you are right, I should ignore it.

C.G....Believe me, I understand.  MOST hubbers feel as you do.  In my first year here, I would become so disheartened, I would want to simply walk away and never come back.  Then I snapped out of it.  I've never been a Quitter in my life and I would be damned if some numbers (generated by who knows who or what and who knows WHY) were going to get me down. I realized "it is what it is," and made up my mind to remain and do what I love to do and enjoy myself....as well as interact with the hubbers I have also come to love.   
              I am extremely selective as to whom I listen and/or "believe."  Keep in mind Catherine, YOU are just as valuable and worthy as anyone else here.  After a while you'll come to see that there are a "few" hubbers known by most of us as "The Hot Shots" ( in their minds only).......They've been here quite a while, have an enormous amount of hubs, make quite a bit of $$ and of course are TEAM FAVORITES....WHY?  That's simple.  If they make $$....HP makes more $$.  That should be easy for you to understand.  Business is business. Not all of the successful hubbers are egomaniacs...it
              is just a select few.  No names necessary.  Two in particular stick out like sore blue thumbs.....jump in every single time to respond to legitimate questions by less experienced hubbers and comment in a most nasty, rude & condescending manner.....(the only thing missing from their comment yet clearly IMPLIED is :  "You MORON!!")
              You will come upon comment sections where hubbers state their total disgust & disrespect for these RUDE jerks.  We all know who they are and we also know they're pathetic individuals. THEY are what you need to ignore.  They may never go away.....but they have lost their value and that's all that matters.
              Everything you have stated about "hub scores" is true and something that becomes very frustrating......12 different people will give you 12 different reasons and solutions.....This is why I learned to IGNORE them  It's all in the HP FAQS and Learning Center and we can figure it out for ourselves.  Keep doing what you're doing and working hard.  You will be fine.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
                Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paula and S&F, you are making so much sense and offering such good advice to help others. I am impressed and so happy to see this kind of help rather than the type that criticize and reprimand in rude ways and who "jump in every single time to respond to legitimate questions by less experienced hubbers and comment in a most nasty, rude & condescending manner".

I do believe there is a change happening, a good change, in the advice and support comments. Kindness, understanding and empathy gets more done than caustic comments that are intended to ridicule.

I agree with everything you say, but this is something that definitely had to be said in my opinion. I find, too, that a couple of individuals constantly offer advice that is actually correct, but given from a personal point of view in a way that doesn't tell the whole story but serves their own agenda. Unfortunately, newer hubbers don't know what these individuals are up to. As you say, the best advice is in the FAQs section and Learning Center, and clues and staff advice can often be found in Related Discussions at the bottom of each thread, so that's where we should be looking and referring our fellow hubbers whenever possible.

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is this a new hub?

3. Don Bobbitt profile image84
      Don Bobbittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A Hub Score is a mystery, even to HP, it seems!
      The logic used to determine one after the first week or so of availability on the web just confuses people, especially when Hp will not release any kind of formula, magic or otherwise, on what it takes to get a good score or a bad score, only a few guidelines of minimal requirements.
      The important to me is my Google standing. If it is ranked high, I get more exposure to my Hubs, if it is low, then Google doesn't like me very much.
      Once, after a glass (or two, I can't remember) of Wine, I made up the image of a drunken Troll throwing darts with numbers on them at a wall covered with Hubs.
      Oh well, It worked for me at the time.
      DON

LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Put your little image on a hub. It will probably get a score of 100. LOL!

Thanks Don you made me laugh.  How do I find my google score?

4. Lotus230 profile image62
      Lotus230posted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP has been doing some updates that are messing with the stats. Maybe it is all related.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda,
      Do not worry about the photos, etc., check the content quality and the spelling, etc. Then consider adding more words.

Examiner: This hub has close to 1100 words now.  The score is now a whopping 60.  It was 49 when it had close to 900 words with all of the other elements, photos of what I was writing about, as well as a how to video.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Oh, when I read this it was 49 with 800 words. Sorry.

6. sosown profile image49
      sosownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi I am new.  What's a hub score mean?

7. profile image0
      James Michaelsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

2 hubs ago my hub came out with a score of like 48. Tweaking it here and there (nothing big) and now it's at a score of 72. Just play around with some grammar and maybe it'll slowly but surely raise.

8. profile image0
      willvanderbergposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No one seems to understand the black magic that goes behind the scenes to determine your hub score smile

For what it's worth, in my experience it is not a useful indicator for either traffic or quality. Just ignore it. That's what I do.

BTW, I personally consider 800 words to be the bare minimum for a hub. But that's just me.

9. profile image52
      Melissa Cryderposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm new; is this how you get paid? ... by Hub Scores?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

One capsule per 266 words.   The HP requirement is only 50 words per capsule.

There is nothing to add to it, at least not this one.

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I realize it's 50 words for every capsule, but if you want your score to go up, try dumping the products.

There's always more to write. Think on it for a few days. Something will come.

3. cfin profile image67
    cfinposted 9 years ago

Some of my best hubs have dropped down to the 50's in the last few weeks from the 80's.

Join the club and it is not a drop by few points either. I haven't seen a 49 for 3 years, when I first started out.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

My current range is 66-96. Compared to some of my numbers I've seen in the past, I'm actually almost happy.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I feel your pain. I just posted a new Hub last night...approx. 1600 words, three Amazon products, and three  relevant YouTube videos. Every one of the "goals" boxes is checked off.
    I hit "publish" and went to bed.
    When I checked back on it this AM it was Featured and its hubscore was a big fat...36.

What the eff??

I think I'm insulted!!

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Fat Freddy: I'm so sorry. I feel for you. Maybe I'm being too hard on my self.  I had a couple of scores in the 65-68 range.  I tweaked the hubs a little and they went to 70.  I set my goal as "70 and above."  And now I have a 68.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Cardisa: Yes.  The begging score was 49, and then went up to 50.  I added a video, and it dropped back down to 49. 

Personally, I think HP should get rid of the hubber score and hub score.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

FatFreddysCat: These scores make no sense what so ever. Follow stellar hub guidlines and have our score go into the toilet.  Yet, I have a hub about Bubblews close to 90.

1. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How is everyone doing on keywords? I went to one of my lower scoring hubs the other day - good topic, great photos, all elements there. But then I noticed none of my subheadings had keywords in them. So I changed them and the hubscore went up 10 points.

You don't need to overdo the keywords, but title and subheadings are the main places Google looks for them. So if your title is "Medicinal Herbs From The Amazon Jungle" and "medicinal herbs" is your main keyword phrase, then use subheadings like: Types of Tropical Medicinal Herbs, Tribal Cultivation of Medicinal Herbs, How Medicinal Herbs Are Collected, etc.

If "amazon jungle" is your keyword phrase (which phrase gets the most traffic per Google keyword planner?), then switch the title around so the keywords are in front, i.e. "The Amazon Jungle's Amazing Medicinal Herbs." Then include "amazon jungle" in most of your subtitles. Hope this helps y'all.

8. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

dont focus on hubscores. its hard, i know. we all would love scores of 100 on all of our hubs, but this isnt high school and your hub scores wont impact your gpa or what college you will go to. not only that, but they dont impact your traffic, which matters the most.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This would be more comforting if my traffic figures weren't also taking it in the pooper over the past several weeks....hahaha.

Between that and the current sitewide "issues" that have been going on here of late, I may wait till things start getting their you-know-what together before I post anything else. There's too much upheaval 'round here right now.

I am considering not posting anything else right now.

Thanks Kathleen. You are right. The scores have no impact on my life or success. Just my ego. No one else even knows what my scores are.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

affect the extent to which the Hub is featured on and off HubPages.
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … d_13970187

I understood scores are computer algorithm generated.  How does a computer determine quality?

1. MarieLB profile image75
      MarieLBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks #Linda Smith.  That is what I had been searching for and now I can understand how and why those numbers are there.

It is easy to say 'ignore' them.  It is akin to telling someone who is very short of money, not to worry about money!!LOL!! 

I found it very disheartening to see the numbers go down.  I only have 8 hubs so far!

Cheers!

We have been told to ignore them, but if they are not important, mean something, then why have them.   Good analogy using money!!!

The learning center seems a little outdated on that issue. Traffic, for example, doesn't influence hub score all that much nowadays: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123954? … ost2624661

It really is best to ignore it. Important is that your hubs are featured and getting organic traffic.

You might also find this interesting: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123705? … ost2619880

Some hubbers maintain that the more boxes you have ticked in the 'Need Some Goals' section of the 'Hub Tool', the higher the hub score. That's not my experience, but more ticks probably do indicate a better hub.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Not really, because a good HubScore won't help you make money.  I have low-scoring Hubs that make a lot more than my high-scoring ones.   

Most of your readers will come directly from Google or Bing or Yahoo to your Hub, and will never even see the front page of HubPages.

4. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Yes, the scores discourage new writers. They make you feel inadequate.  I wonder how many good writers have quit because of those scores.

If HP insists on keeping the scores without any hint of how to fix the hub, they should recalibrate them so no one who had done a decent job ever has to see a core below 80.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

On HubPages, yes.  Off HubPages, no.   The vast majority of visitors to HubPages never see the front page or browse generally.   So HubScores neither help nor hinder traffic really.  The only thing they do is cause links within the Hub to become "no follow" and that needn't worry you unless it's a link you're trying to promote (e.g. to your website) - real readers can still follow those links, it's only Google that ignores it.

10. Valeant profile image88
    Valeantposted 9 years ago

Speaking of Bubblews, I've made a whopping $12 here since May.  Made $400 there in the last 2.5 months.  Been paid on time for each time I hit the redeem button.

This forum is about HP not Bubblews.

11. Craftypicks profile image77
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

Try a poll. Can't hurt.

12. Craftypicks profile image77

Try a poll. Can't hurt.

13. Craftypicks profile image77

Try a poll. Can't hurt.

14. Craftypicks profile image77

Try a poll. Can't hurt.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

I have a poll on every hub.  they are easy to do, so why not just tack one on.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

FatfreddysCat: You are doing better than me.  My traffic is down the sewer.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We'll see if that holds true once the holdup with the daily stats is fixed and the #'s are un-frozen. Right now I'm still looking at stats from two days ago and they're not encouraging.

Barf....

16. flpalermo profile image61
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

I have seen Hubbers with Zero Hubs, Zero followers, following no one, and have a Hub score of 70. Don't get it.

If they don't have a hub, they can't have a hub score.
      You are probably referring to their hubber score which is seen with their profile pic. These are the ones that come to the forums and ask questions about A-Z, although they have done nothing. They may read a few hubs and leave a comment or two.

On the other hand, I did nothing for awhile, almost a year, and my hubber score was higher then, than it is now when I am active with new hubs, being in the forums, hub hopper hopping once in awhile, and reading hubs.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

He probably meant a Hubber score, I have seen those.

17. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Chick-a-boom-chick-a-boom
    Don't ya jes' love it
    Don't you jes' love it
    Don't ya jes' love it
    Chick-a-boom-chick-a-boom-boom-boom

(DADDY DEWDROP Version)

I'm not sure how they come up with the initial hub score, but I've seen some drastic changes down or up on a few of my hubs from one day to the next. I've decided to observe trends more than day-to-day scores so I don't drive myself crazy.

18. LindaSmith1 profile image61

LOL Arachnea!!!

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61

This has been going on before the updates started.

20. FatFreddysCat profile image94

By the way, the score on that new Hub I mentioned earlier in this thread jumped overnight, from 36 to... 42.

Yippee skip.

21. Rachael Tate profile image68
    Rachael Tateposted 9 years ago

My latest hub has just given me my lowest hubscore of 55.  Shall see what happens over the next few weeks with it and try to add to it if it doesn't move much.

22. FatFreddysCat profile image94

(hums Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55")

23. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I wonder what scores the spammers, plagiarists, and those who don't know grammar let alone punctuation are getting?

24. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 9 years ago

Mine must be sitting on a well greased chute.  My latest hub started off on 70, on THAT fateful day and I have watched t go down a point every few hours.
    It is now a slender 46!! 
    I am keeping everything crossed [within reason LOL!!] that when they settle this problem all the data will revert to where it should be.
    Or am I being too trusting?

25. LindaSmith1 profile image61

It is nuts. I have too much on my plate to try to learn word press.

1. Craftypicks profile image77
      Craftypicksposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda,
        I thought the same thing about WP. It took me about a week of pulling out my hair, but it's opened up a whole world to me. I make Amazon sales, adsense and it's actually easier than Hubs. It's just that initial learning curve that is scary, but after that it's really very easy to do. You don't need to know how to code. All you have to learn is where they put the buttons that do what you want and what plugins you like. It's all free to use. I highly recommend the effort.

I tried it once, and pulled my hair out.  I have too much to do right now to bother with it.  Maybe when we start getting snowed in, that will be a good time for me to try again.

I totally get what your saying. It was NOT easy. I took to You Tube and there are a lot of really good tutorials that helped me understand it better. I did it while my kids were away this Summer. I also joined a fantastic group of Facebook. It's run by a woman who knows just about everything there is about WP. There is also another Moderator who is genius. I try to figure out my own problems. I'll work on them for days before asking so when I ask I can say what I tried and what didn't work. They have fixed my problems for me 100% of the time. If they can't describe what to do they will go into your WP for you remotely and fix it for you. I had broken code at the top of all my posts. It drove me crazy for a month. It took them about a minute to figure out it was a Broken Google Adsense Banner that I thought I took out long ago. I never would have figured it out on my own. So there is a lot of help out there. When you decided just send me a message and I'll point you to the places I went to that really helped.

2. MarieLB profile image75
        MarieLBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi #LindaSmith,

What a cute way of explaining WP!!   "where they put the buttons that do what you want "
        Luv it. . .cool

26. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Are you talking about someone from Squidoo that has a couple of groups?    Thanks Craftypicks, I will take you up on your offer.

No not at all. It's just a really nice group of people who help Newbies with WP. It's got nothing to do with writing forums.

I know a Squidoo writer who does a lot with WP and started a group, in fact several groups in regards to writing, etc.  I was curious as to whether or not the one you are referring to is the one that I am thinking of. She tried to help me alot, but WP got the best of me.

27. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

Don'cha though. What really concerns me is that they keep retiring my hubs, yet I see people with 100 hubs published and featuring 100 simultaneously published hubs, when that is the total number that they have. I checked and my hubs that have been retired have scores mostly in the 70s and 60s. Only one is 59, my lowest score. OK, a couple of them were current affairs, and I can understand why it got out of date, but the rest weren't.
    This may sound like sour grapes, but I'm getting sour on HP. I see absolute trash being selected as HOTD. HP says they want "well researched, informative hubs, which in most cases, means plagiarism. I know of one hubber who hops websites, copies their photos, and rewrites their advertising copy to be able to publish so frequently. The only reason I don't unfollow her is because I want to see the latest she's been up to.
    Original work by writers seems to go nowhere. This seems to be an SEO-operated website that says to hell with real writers. So, I would say ignore the scores.

I hear you MIz!

28. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Im wondering if HP changed their own algorithm, because I just wrote what I thiink is an excellent piece only to get my lowest score ever.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that the data-center move and the influx of our squid friends' Hubs has changed the overall statistics temporarily. I say this, because my account is now behaving the way it did during my first year here - Hubber score declines when I publish a new Hub and increases again after 24 hours or so; a new Hub starts out with a lower score now - my first year, they all started out low.

It will all probably shake out. I think scores will recover in a couple of weeks, unless Panda has a long-lasting negative effect this time. I'd ignore the scores for now. Much luck and success to you all!

To you as well, Patty. I think this is the first time I've ever seen you with a hubber score of less than 100.

All the 100s will rotate to 99, 98, and back up. I don't know the time table on that, but mine is about every 6-8 weeks and right now, when I publish another Hub. It all gives more individuals a chance at having a 100 score. It looks to me like a statistically normal curve - a limited number of 100s and a limited number of very low scores, with a lot in the middle, but I could be wrong about that.

Well, however they do it, I always thought your 100 was a set fixture. After all, you're probably the most diligent writer on HubPages!

Thanks for the kind compliment!

Glad to see you're back at 100!

Shazam, that was fast!

29. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

If everything is messed up on our site, then scoring is messed up too. Staff must be real busy getting the site to run smoothly and move servers. We need to take a break.

30. adaezeC profile image58
    adaezeCposted 9 years ago

I thought I was the only one with this issue. Does anyone know what exactly is scored? Words, general info, pics and videos?

Nobody knows.

31. adaezeC profile image58

I thought I was the only one with this issue. Does anyone know what exactly is scored? Words, general info, pics and videos?

32. adaezeC profile image58

And why do the scores go either up or down?

Nobody knows.

33. I Ramjohn profile image79
    I Ramjohnposted 9 years ago

I wonder if it was something to do with the Mechanical Turk system. They usually have 2-300 hubs to rate at any given time, but the last few days there have only been a handful of hubs to score. (Although it pays almost nothing, the Mechanical Turk is a good way to improve your writing because it forces you to look critically at other people's writing, and helps you learn what Hubpages sees as good.)

If I had to guess, your hub was only scored by an algorithm, not by a human. That might be affecting your score.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

All HubScores are scored by an algorithm not a human.

Thank you everyone who has posted here. I learned a lot. I am talking about hub scores not the hubber score on my profile. My hubber score stays high varying only about 2-5 points. But as one person mentioned here, it does seem to go down for a while after I do a new post.  Nice way to thank a person for doing a new hub!  But then it goes back up so I don't get to agitated.

34. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

(Sorry in advance for a long post!)

I think people are focusing way too much on hub scores, especially recently. It is quite the talked-about topic lately. Hub scores are, for the most part, irrelevant and meaningless.

Hubs often start out with very low scores. Why? I don't know. If I write a hub just a bit at a time, it starts out low, but every time I open up the unpublished hub and write some more, the score goes up. By the time it publishes, it is higher than a hub that I write all at once and publish on the spot. Why? I don't know. The hubs could be virtually identical as far as word count, photos, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and bells and whistles, but the one that was written a paragraph here and there over time will always have a higher score than the one that was written all at once over a short period of time. Why? I don't know, but it is not a reflection on the quality of the article. Hub scores are not a writing grade.

I never look at my hub scores. I just look at traffic. If my traffic is up, I'm happy.

Are your articles getting what you consider a good number of views from search engines? If they are, consider them as having great hub scores.

Don't think of hub scores as a grade or a testament to how well you spell or write, or how many words you put in or whether or not you have a poll. Hub scores are just something to offer a more interesting experience to HP members, or a measure of an article's "hotness" on the web. If you have an article go viral, its score will shoot up.

I check my stats every day but never check hub scores because they don't matter.

From the Learning Center article on HubScores: (my bolding)

"HubScores are based on a wide range of different factors, including the amount of traffic your Hub gets, your reputation in the community, reader response to your Hubs (e.g. voting them up or down, leaving comments, sharing Hubs in the Feed, and leaving Hubber feedback), and the uniqueness of your content. With this being the case, getting more traffic to your Hubs over time will certainly improve your HubScore, but keep in mind that the quality of your traffic will also influence the metric (if a higher percentage of your traffic comes from reputable sources, you'll see a more positive effect on your HubScore). Keep in mind, you won't have an official HubScore until your Hub is evaluated for quality. If your Hub becomes Featured, then the score may rise as readers engage with it."

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Awesome post, S&F. I do not see a "like" button here .... ahhh, here it is:  cool

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Phyllis. I hate to see people so worried about hub scores! They are not a writing grade.

Be happy, everyone! cool

Thanks Smart. You have given me a good perspective about why hub scores bounce around so much even when content is not changed.

I think an incomplete hub will have a low score because it is too short, doesn't have enough pictures, etc. Can you get a score before the hub is published.  I always finish mine in one session so I don't have incomplete hubs in my account.

35. Michael Kismet profile image90
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

I think it's intent is quite clear, to have Hubbers obsessed with it!

Additionally, it forces us subconsciously and consciously to attempt raising it--by writing more hubs, improving hubs, being more active, essentially all practices good for business. btw, my score just hit 93, a personal best! I doubt it will last!

Michael:  Your 93 is your Hubber score.  We are referring to hub scores.

36. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I agree with fpherj48 and others that it is hard to ignore the scores, especially if you are the type that was a straight-A student and scores motivate you.

If it helps, my scores seem to be tied to traffic and comments. If you have just published a hub and it has a low hub score, know that it is not because of your writing ability. It is because the hub has not been read much (yet) and probably doesn't have many comments (yet).

There are a few exceptions to this, but over all, in my personal experience, the hub score is more a reflection of the article's popularity and proven (over time) ability to provoke comments and create readership excitement, rather than the grade a composition professor might give.

Scores are almost always on the lower end immediately after publishing. Give them time. Or better yet, try not to look at them. If your article is receiving readers from search engines, that is what matters most, and matters much more than the arbitrary score.

I wish HP would dump hub scores. They just cause unnecessary confusion and worry.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insight, SmartAndFun. I never thought about how much engagement and comments figure into hub score. Many of my hubs stay in the 70s which correlates with very low traffic, and comments. Of course, those metrics have been thrown off lately with all that's going on. But in general, you are correct.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Thank you S&F....and OH LORDY  let's not forget to get RID of the dastardly "HUBBER" score that can cause many an otherwise stable individual to lose all control!!  So many of us ARE Score-Motivated.....of course!  For heaven's sake...I can still remember back nearly 50 years when I went into a cold sweat if I had to present my parents with a report card that had a single grade under 90!!
      Then we go on to the work force where our EVALUATIONS are SCORED from 1 to 10!....Gosh, let's face it....men will even boldly rate a particularly attractive woman as a TEN!!  Our bosses expect us to "Give 100%!"   Tell me......where do scores and numbers NOT matter?   Oh yeah...that's right.  HERE!  We're not suppose to pay any attention to our scores........what BULL!   We humans are not made that way.   Have a great day..  In fact, I hope your day scores a 10!!    LOL

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

That is so true, S&F. The scores cause more stress than anything. There seems to be more forum threads on hub scores than anything.  Let go of the stress and just focus on my passion of writing has become my motto.

37. Beaddoodler profile image65
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

I thought we were only allowed one Amazon product per Hub.

No. 

Amazon product that strongly relates to content,
      50 Words per Amazon Capsule.

Limit of 2 text links to same domain such as Amazon.

38. Beaddoodler profile image65
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

How hub scores are figured is a mystery to me. All mine so far are Squidoo transfers which have been reworked to come up to Hub standards and I don't have any scores under 60.  I'm not a professional writer, just share things I'm interested in the best way I know how.

39. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Boy oh boy, my hub scores are dropping like flies, dropping it like it's hot! They look worse than I've ever seen. If it were just about hub scores, I'd think I was a schlep of a hubber! So I'm glad they don't mean anything, lol! yikes

Looks as though they've adjusted the algorithm yet again. My scores are all over the place and my 100 is gone!

40. ladyguitarpicker profile image75
    ladyguitarpickerposted 9 years ago

Hi, I'm Stella I have been here a short time, but I can answer your question. You get paid by writing hubs and if they are good content people read them and you get paid.

1. profile image52
      Melissa Cryderposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, Stella. See you around!

41. LindaSmith1 profile image61

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)