Most views you've gotten on a single Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (53 posts)
  1. goatfury profile image91
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I just shared the crap out of a Hub I wrote that I think is pretty good (the one on longevity called "The First Person to Live to Be 200 Years Old is Alive Today"), and it seems to be a home run.  In just 2 days, I've gotten 1,623 (about a third of my total views EVER).  I'm not sure why this one is the proverbial home run, but it is. 

Anyway, do you guys have any particular standout Hubs?  If so, any idea why that one particular Hub did so well?

1. merej99 profile image73
      merej99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't have any "stellar" hubs.  I have one about how you can tell someone's personality by how they eat fries - which has over 500 views...  but I wrote that back in January.

goatfuryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a start!  I have a few in that range, like 300-500ish, but all came from external (social media) promotion.  I hope some of them are "evergreen" eventually.

2. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1,902 views on a poem, my most viewed Hub (how embarrassing to be admitting this). No idea why that poem got so many views. Was it the title (had the word 'free' in it as in free verse which is a style of poetry)? Had the word 'Spring' in the title as well (as in springtime season).
      Since I changed the title to remove the 'free verse' designation views have bottomed out. So there you go. If you want views, use the word 'free' somewhere in the title lol.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I used to have a commode ode published here. It was a true classic. big_smile Alas, Google hated it, so I moved it elsewhere.

1. snakeslane profile image81
          snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Commode (as in bathroom)? I don't know what Google likes, that is the million dollar question ain't it?

If I were to post the link to it, I wonder how long it would last? lol

1. Writer Fox profile image31
              Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How long does it take to flush a commode? (That's the answer.)

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's an excellent start. Not sure I've had any hubs that took off quite so fast!

My highest traffic hub has over 1,700,000 views. The next highest over 1,100,000.

Why they've done well? Well they're both evergreen, with high search volumes, and I guess the content appeals to the target audience.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
        C.V.Rajanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

2. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

first of all congratulations on that hub...secondly, if i post my views here it would probably be comedy hour. great job!

Doubtful.  This Hub was a real anomaly for me.  I am usually pretty happy with 10 views a day on a Hub, and I have some that don't even have 25 views yet!

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Last week, a local radio station shared one of my hubs on its Facebook page, and pushed it out to everyone who had their phone app. I got about 25,000 page views on that article in one day, and about 45,000 total so far.

I don't expect that will ever happen again. smile

That, my friend, is amazing. Congratulations!

1. lisavollrath profile image93
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Truly. It was stunning to watch Google Analytics in real time that day.

Silly question:  do we have access to Google Analytics already on our Hubs?

1. relache profile image74
            relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you set it up, you do.

Most views on a Hub, as of right this moment = 1,680,510
            That's a Hub that's almost 7 years old.

That's awesome.  What's the name of the Hub?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt if anyone with numbers like this will reveal their high traffic hubs.  Unfortunately there are always those who will steal high traffic content and they are among us.  I think her stating that it's a 7 year old hub says quite a bit in regard to quality, evergreen content ranking well.

1. relache profile image74
                  relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually I don't think the Hub is evergreen.  I think it had a great run of about four years in there where it was a huge topic of worldwide interest, but now I think that's waned.

I have been writing online now since 2002, and I think the idea of truly evergreen content is more of a marketing holy grail than a firm reality.

I've been creating content online since 1998, and I would absolutely agree, although there is certainly tremendous value in being the first to write about something.  I had an enormous competitive edge on a niche market in the early 2000s, showing up high in search engines (pre-Google's dominance), and there were maybe 1% as many content creators back then as there are now.

Funny thing is, the opportunities are actually better now if you're educated.  In spite of all my experiences, SEO is one thing I've stubbornly avoided mastering.  I don't like the idea of creating a niche around a demand, as is often suggested by "gurus" and the like.  I'm much more interested in simply writing about those things about which I'm most passionate, THEN figuring out how to drive traffic to them.  If no traffic ends up coming, so be it, because I was going to write all that stuff down anyway.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
                    rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Even the evergreen fades, but it's always a topic of interest.  I get what you're saying.  Most content needs some kind of periodic refresh.  Your hub with that many views obviously answered search queries!  Those are amazing stats!

@ goatfury "I'm much more interested in simply writing about those things about which I'm most passionate, THEN figuring out how to drive traffic to them."
                    Your statement reminds me of something I read recently from some SEO blog.  The author said, it's not so much about optimizing keywords for search engines, it's learning to optimize the search experience for the user.  The Hummingbird algorithm is supposed to work along this concept.

2. merej99 profile image73
      merej99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty darn amazing!  It must feel like winning on a scratch off when something trends.  Hopefully the article keeps bringing views.

3. Health Reports profile image83
      Health Reportsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WOW - Awesome!!! Huge congrats!!!

4. Maximum A profile image73
    Maximum Aposted 9 years ago

The biggest I saw was 15k for one of my hubs. It was about declamation pieces. My other hubs are still struggling and putting up a fight, though.

Nice!  I'm sure I'll get there eventually.  I'm enjoying the journey so far.  When this particular Hub I posted hit a home run, so to speak, I was really surprised.  Now I'm starting to really get sharing a bit more.

5. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 9 years ago

My highest is about 45,550 views and next one down is about 26,000 but some have hardly any views. Funny how silly ideas do well !
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11885152_f1024.jpg

That's super cool!  I do think I'll get up to that point before too long, but I have no idea which Hub it will be.  It's so random which ones get shared virally, and which get picked up by Google, and so forth.

6. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

The most I ever got on a single Hub Page was over 200,000 in 48 hours. I have several Chili Hub Pages that right now are getting several thousand views a day each. I have a pork chop Hub Page that has got over a million views in eight months.

Wow, nuts!  I'll need to check out your cooking Hubs for some tips.  I have a few articles about food on my other HP profile (revolutionbjj), but none on this one (goatfury).

7. Adam Lee Andersen profile image68
    Adam Lee Andersenposted 9 years ago

My Hub on endangered species has over 20,000 views. I ranks 5th on a top 5 endangered species google search. I will actually be making some money this year because of it.

http://adamleeandersen.hubpages.com/hub … es-in-2014

Congratulations!  That's really great news.  I hope that continues for you for years to come.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

612,392 views as I post this. Viral hubs can indeed happen. Unfortunately this particular hub's glory days have come and gone. Lucky to get a view a day now.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Actually, the critter did get another 125 views in the last 30 days. Kind of amazing, considering how outdated it is. If anyone is interested, it's the one with 900 comments and that's been stolen over 100 times. big_smile

Ha!  Doom and gloom.  Kind of figures. smile

I tell ya... I really do have the stirrings to do another. Won't be on this account though.

10. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Brownie83 had a Hub which went viral on Facebook and received over 2 million views within seven days. Howlermukey had one with over 800,000 views.  My best Hub has 203,000 views.

2. goatfury profile image91

Wow, 2 million?  That is just nuts!  Is that one of the highest viewed Hubs ever?  Is there any way to find out definitively?

That's definitely one of the highest views ever, if not THE highest.  Both of those Hubs went viral on Facebook and that's a difficult thing to predict, let alone target.  It's always a pleasant surprise to the authors when it does happen.

Here are two HP blog posts about those two Hubs:
        http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/01/heres- … on-jersey/
        http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/12/viral- … u-to-know/

11. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

If you've got a Hub getting lots of views, DON'T TELL ANYBODY.   There are people who look out of information like that, so they know which Hubs are worth stealing.   

Unfortunately it has happened in the past several times.

12. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 9 years ago

My most popular hub has a current total of 1,405,798 views.

That's impressive!  You must be very near the 10 Million total views mark by now.

13. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 9 years ago

227,393 is the most on a single hub.

14. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

As Marisa has already said it is not a good idea to keep publicizing your successful hubs and niches as pretty soon someone is going to come along and copy what you have..

But you can get a pretty good idea as to what sort of traffic people get by just looking at their profile - although there is a long way between the 1 million and the 10 million badges!!

My biggest peak was in the 1000's after something that I wrote got shared on the front page of a very popular blog.. But most of my hubs just plod along gaining a steady amount of traffic day after day.......

Social sharing can be a good way to get traffic but it is generally going to be short lived.. Search engine traffic is what I target as that I will get every day; until the next update by Google puts me into a different position on the search engine roller coaster.....

Thanks, LeanMan. 
      Can't social media traffic actually help boost SEO?  I feel like there's more long term value in it than many people give it credit, but I'm certainly no expert.

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Goatfury, yes of course social media shares and likes can help boost your traffic through the search engines as they are of course a form of link to your work.

There are various studies out there that show that high ranking pages have large number of shares and likes but what that information does not tell you is if the large number of shares and likes are because the page is ranked highly in the search engines or if the page is ranked highly in the search engines because of the large number of shares and likes. Which is the cause and which is the effect is not clear so it would not be wise to make assumptions..

You also have to look at the sort of pages that tend to generate large numbers of shares and likes; typically these types of pages are not going to be based on keywords that people will be typing into google on a daily basis to get an answer to. You will find it hard to get a page about "removing carpet stains" to go viral on social media while the "Look at my cute cat chocking itself to death while playing with a ball of wool" will get shared a billion times...

I very much aim for google traffic but that does not stop me sharing pages on twitter, facebook etc to gain that initial boost of views.... However I would not waste my time spending half a day or more sharing it across a hundred different pages and networks for a short term peak in traffic.. I would rather have a page that got 20 views a day every day than one that got 2,500 views after a full day of sharing on social networks and then dwindled down to nothing.....

Posting on too many sites over a short period may also look like spam to google so it could actually hinder your traffic in the future...

I'm off to the pet shop...

2. goatfury profile image91

When I said I "shared the crap out of it", I really just meant that I spent 10 minutes sharing it in Facebook niche groups.  It's funny - here on Hubpages, I spend maybe twice as much time writing as I do interacting and sharing, whereas on Bubblews, for example, it's the exact opposite (in fact, I spend at least 5 times as long interacting there as writing, which takes pretty much no time, as you know).  Hubpages Hubs are a long term investment of time, and I'd certainly like for them to be evergreen.  I don't really care about short term traffic, although this particular time got me a bit excited, as it was the first one to really take off on its own (but not the first one I've shared).

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think social sharing works better for some types of articles than others. Pinterest is my #1 referrer, because I write craft how-to articles and recipes: the types of items that get pinned and repinned, over and over again.

That makes a lot of sense.  I write mostly about physics and technological innovations, but from a social perspective.  While I'll post the article on Pinterest from time to time, I don't receive much traffic from there as opposed to, say, Facebook or Google Plus.  I think if the nature of the project is considerably less dependent on a visual component, that makes a lot of sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)