other than hubpages, what other sites do you use to make money online?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (74 posts)
  1. 3bagsfull profile image65
    3bagsfullposted 14 years ago

I am just getting started here and am really liking it. I hope it pays off eventually.

I write for examiner.com and have a shop on etsy.com.

my hope is that all these sites and others I add will make me $3000 a month. It will take awhile but I believe in the secret

ask, believe, receive

how about you?

1. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you just want to build a freelance writing income or do you want to develop a passive income from advertising revenue from your sites?

I like infobarrel http://lissowerbutts.com/what-is-infoba … ve-income/ but more important than the site or the writing - you need to
      a) find terms people want information for but which don't have too many competing sites
      b) write content which helps the reader and points them to products or advertising which solves their problem
      c) build anchored backlinks to promote your content to the from page of  the search engines

Forget the pseudo-pschy of the Secrete - there is no secrete except you need to learn a bit and work a lot and not quit

2. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can try to bid in eLance, oDesk or Guru. I have writing projects from eLance and some hubbers are writing for either oDesk or Guru or even all three. Also, you may want to check these hubs I bookmarked - they're from other hubbers.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ten-Online-Writ … ave-Missed (by pgrundy)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Paid-To-Write (by karhubpages)

I'm curious about examiner.com as I recently received an email invite from them. I wonder if they are accepting non-US residents for writers. Helium.com unfortunately does not accept non-US residents.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Helium does accept non-US residents

1. emievil profile image68

Not anymore. I joined like during the first three months of this year. After just one week, I was blocked from entering the site because my IP address is not from the US. I received an email about this new policy. Since I wrote only one article prior to being blocked, I didn't mind. I tried again after a few months to go in, and again no luck. Too bad though, I like Helium's format.

2. Shirley Anderson profile image72
        Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Has Helium changed their policy?  I am Canadian and was with them.

OOPS - DISREGARD, I just caught up with the posts that I missed and found the answer, sorry.

Honestly, Emie, you are better off!

LOL yes I am. I'm glad I didn't get in because that gave me a chance to join Hubpages and write my own stuff here.

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Caveat:  I've only received one actual paycheck thus far from online writing.  That one arrived in February via GoogleAdSense and HubPages, maybe a few pennies (if that) from my own website.  Started writing more regularly around May 1 '09 and will see another AdSense check in August (whew! pant! pant!).

Just signed up at ifreelance.com a few days ago.  Have not yet succeeded in winning a "proposal war", i.e. get any actual contracted work, but it looks reasonably promising.  Finding an average of one project a day to bid on that seems to honestly match my writing qualifications.  Lots of competitors for the relatively few "top jobs", but that's the way of the world.

3. martinrocks_88 profile image59
    martinrocks_88posted 14 years ago

I don't know how good this site is...but have just now joined...its BUKISA.com......let me see if it works out..

4. bigmikeh profile image69
    bigmikehposted 14 years ago

I have a few sites based on the "Build A Niche Store" (BANS) platform which earn me money through ebay auctions. It's not an article site like Hubpages but the ability to write good content is necessary. But it is a little technical to set up.

As it looks like the ebay capsule on Hubpages will breach ebays terms of service in a few days time (because they're changing their rules) I may be investing more time in BANS for ebay income.

5. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I write a few articles on Helium every now and then.  Have earned more there that at Hubpages by placing in a contest.  But, I like the finished product here better because of pictures, videos and comments.  I think Hubpages is better long term as well because in the long term the earning capacity is better.

1. ajcor profile image59
      ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you still have control of your own writing work here at hubpages...not so at Helium unless they have changed the rules recently..

6. 3bagsfull profile image65

thanks so much for the responses. some of them are interesting

especially the ebay issue and bans(?)

I am going to go snooping now smile

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I earn about $3 a week so far from Howtodothings.com and I only have 9 articles published. I'm working on getting that number much higher. It gets more traffic than every other site I write on. Currently, it is tied with HubPages in terms of earnings.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72

Just gave your plagiarism article a SU thumb up, Susan.

I was just looking at their FAQ page and think I've figured out what they're basically about.  How do you like working with their site?  Do they have a platform similar to HP or is one of those...what are they - CSS or something like that?  I can't remember what the right initials are but it starts with a C and ends with an S and is frustratingly difficult for me.

They are quite easy. They have a template set up with an introduction, and then a capsule for each step in which you can add pictures, then a conclusion. You can also make and upload videos. I like it. I just wrote my first article there in over 6 months tonight. What I like about it is that they will check your article and suggest fixes. What I don't like is that they have occasionally changed the text without telling me. However, only small fixes.

Oh, and thanks for the thumbs up smile

2. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love writing 'how tos'....do you know if you can use a pen name on that site?

I REALLY want to write celeb news for examiner.com but I have to use my real name and for professional reasons offline, I do not want my name coming up with celeb news! lol

update: Howtodothings.com FAQ was actually helpful....you CAN use a pen name! Yay...I'm off to sign up.

8. 3bagsfull profile image65

wow - never knew about howtodothings.com

will have to check it out

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got accepted there last week, but haven't written yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck, let us know your username so we can check out your writing smile

2. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me neither. I must check it out. Have you heard of Infobarrel? I heard its good too. Signed up but havent written articles yet. HP takes up so much of my time.LOL

9. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

Another blog, Lissie?  You're everywhere, I don't know how you do it all!

"I like infobarrel http://lissowerbutts.com/what-is-infoba … ve-income/"

Those really cool ads that you have on the upper right - where do those come from?

LOL I do do this full-time but I have way too many sites/blogs - about 50 domains I own - not all updated or even live though!

The pretty little ads - on the right hand side are basically just standard 125x125 banners which many sites use. I am using a paid theme on the site called Thesis a new theme it has some really nice stuff on it like - that is my default set of ads but on some pages I can change it to be more appropriate e.g. on a site build it review post I change it do show a different affiliate.

I've seen those before and I just love them, think they're really nice.  Your new site looks just great, by the way!

10. 3bagsfull profile image65

thanks lissie

I think I need to do abit of keyword analysis. I haven't really approached my writing that way, but it definitely can help online

also, I would also like to do some freelancing. I am working with a local print mag here, so I am getting some offline experience as well.

keep the post coming -- I am luvin it

11. 3bagsfull profile image65

I have a name of the editor over the entertainment area at examiner. I will send it to you through the hb system so look for it

he would be who you would need to discuss this with -- it is quite possible that they may accept you with a pen name

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have earned about $21 through Helium. But with the changes I don't know when I'm going to reach payout.

13. Shirley Anderson profile image72

Something to be aware of, Ajcor - Helium keeps your articles forever, you can't take them off or ever get them back.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to write for Helium, and then wound up leaving them and hiring one of their editors. They are going downhill, and fast,and for lots of reasons. Their business model, simply put, is flawed. To make $ on Helium, you had to have one of your articles either win a contest or be purchased from a publisher. Problem is, they saw dollar signs and got rid of their experienced sales staff and filled it with college-wannabes, so the paid writing "contests" are few and far between -- and pretty weak.

Well, the good news for me is that my articles will be free to find new homes, then.  smile

2. ajcor profile image59
      ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Shirley & that is exactly the reason I don't contribute my articles to Helium anymore - rude i call it..

I agree!  In fact, don't get me started, they are not one of my favourites.

3. Karen Banes profile image71
      Karen Banesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right. I have lots of articles up on Helium, make very little money on them now I'm no longer really active on the site, and can't delete them. However, I learned a lot writing for them and got my first ever (well-paid) writing job for a print magazine by pitching the editor and sending links to a couple of Helium articles. You can also re-sell them as long as you only sell usage rights. I've now joined constant content and started submitting articles published on helium to them for usage rights. We'll see how it goes. Now I try to only write for up-front payments plus Hubpages which is just a great community to be involved in. Sites I write for that pay upfront:
      BootsnAll.com, Matador.org, CopiaMagazine.com.

14. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I make about half my income from HubPages and the other half from Squidoo.

I have a Squidoo account but have never figured out how to use it. smile

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's very similar to HubPages. Being familiar with HubPages will mean you'll understand Squidoo more quickly than if you were starting cold. Even where the differences are vast it's easy to understand when you compare them side by side.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Me too. It seems so much more confusing than Hubpages smile Or maybe that is just me...

15. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I have been at hubpages for six months and is scheduled for a second payoff and I have started working for my third payoff.  Examiner.com must be a great site to write if you expect to make 3,000 a month coming to hubpages.  I am a member of eHow that payoff at $10.00 and have had three payoffs so I think I will stay there instead of trying Howtodothings.com that pays $3.00 a week.  Once you write for Hubpages, you will realize that the site is more about people writing for the joy of writing with people adding fans instead of Adsense dollars.  I was surprised the way you entered he forum with a salary goal as this site is more about creative writing.  Welcome to hubpages, I appreciate your enthusiasm for monetizing.

This site can be about creative writing - but its also about making money. I am here to make money and I am not ashamed of it. If you want pure non-commercial have a blog over at wordpress.com which you aren't allowed to monetize, both HP and I make money off my hubs and that's just fine by me :-)

If you want to make serious money on HP its entirely possible - for those who want to be inspired check out Ben's latest figures:
      http://www.makemoneyonlinewithseo.com/h … line-fast/ but its all about focus and hard work.
      Personally by not working quite as hard a Ben I have seen my Hubpage earnings triple from just over $100 in April to $370 in June - looking towards $500 in July all Adsense almost all HP - it works but its hard work!

$500 is already enough in my country for a decent living. What's your secret? Maybe if I can earn this much, I can quit my day job and just write the whole day smile.

I do write and work online the whole day! My secret is that I didn't quit - i have been trying to make a go of this for 18 months. I write on boring commercial subjects (not under my lissie ID) - I build backlinks, and most importantly I write a lot - 100 hubs + in the last month. If you read Ben's blog you will see him say the same thing - in fact he's not answering any more questions about making money on hubpages for people with less than 150 hubs ....
          Learn how to do basic keyword research to pick a topic with a good adsense CPC but not too much competition
          Write a good enough article/hub
          Build backlinks to the hub
          repeat - a lot - when you have some winners build more similar hubs - repeat - a lot

Hey thanks! Maybe I really need to take the plunge here smile. I've already earned some $300 in one month for an academic-writing site. If I really push it, I may double this one smile. You're my idol!

2. Shirley Anderson profile image72

Very interesting article, Lissie.  You are a wealth of information.  Something that Ben mentioned will now have me doing something you did a long time ago - print off copies of my hubs.

Thanks for the info.

3. 3bagsfull profile image65
        3bagsfullposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks Lissie for the reply. I like that you are not ashamed to write and make money.

I want to go check out the link -- and thanks for your own $ info

also, 50 websites? when I read that my head exploded. you are definitely someone I can learn from

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Of course, it depends on the traffic you get as to how much money you will earn. But I get good traffic through howtodothings without publicizing my articles anywhere.

16. 3bagsfull profile image65

sorry linda

I wasn't trying to make it about monetizing. I do want to make some money and I hope hb is part of the mix of things I am doing. examiner is up and coming and I plan on writing another column soon if approved. there are some examiners who are do very very well financially. they pay $10 for every impression not by a click on an ad so you just have to get a person to your page which is nice -- also, because they are a news site, they get streamed into google news immediately

I realize that it may take a very very very long time (if ever) to get to such a high goal but I needed something to strive for. I have some opportunity selling on etsy and off to help with this number.

I do like to write and have done blogs/articles just for the sake of sharing without compensation --

didn't mean to offend

17. Herald Daily profile image58
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

I don't think that you were offensive, at all.

Being able to work from home and earn enough income that you can relax and enjoy it is a wonderful goal, I think.

18. 3bagsfull profile image65

thx herald

I know that if I didn't want to write and share (I get told I share too much sometimes tongue ) that I would be here but if I can add a bit to my bottom line now and in the future that would be wonderful as well. I am trying to do it with a variety of methods and online and offline opportunities so the bigger number will (hopefully) be made up of alot of little numbers smile

I have a feeling that many of my hubs will just be about sharing info, but I am totally ok with that smile I love trading pins at disney and want to write a hub about it and I can't imagine that it will get any clicks but maybe more happy traders in the long run

19. 3bagsfull profile image65

sorry - I went abit smiley crazy

I had no idea that it would turn into yellow round things

try to keep in mind I am a newbie and still learning the ropes

20. Herald Daily profile image58
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

No worries, 3bagsfull. smile

Re the Disney pins, you may be very surprised at how much traffic it will get, hopefully tons.

Very best of luck with all your activities!

21. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub on how to get more traffic to your hubs, by publishing at other sites.

Some of those sites I've mentioned do have revenue share models.

22. Shirley Anderson profile image72

Thx, Darkside!  I'm off to read both of your links, now.

23. 3bagsfull profile image65

thx darkside too!!!

I am off to read your articles. I too am bit confused about squidoo.

24. Shirley Anderson profile image72

I'm going to have my Squidoo account and your hub open at the same time so I can check your article as I go. You answered a question that I had too, about whether or not a person can have more than one account there.  Not that I likely ever will, I just wondered about it.

I have never heard of a couple of the sites that you mention in your HubPages Traffic Bonus hub.  Very interesting info that I MUST check out.  It's almost my bedtime, but I will be back tomorrow to do the follow-up and look into all of this.

Great Julius Caesar article on Knol, by the way!  I gave you a SU review.

Thanks so much, Darkside.  I don't know why it's taken me so long to get around to this stuff!

25. Ultimate Hubber profile image73
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Nice dialog going on on this thread.

Well I earn major part of my income from my websites but due to some kind of penalty and not getting good traffic anymore I am trying different things now. I made some blogspot blogs and I have started writing here on Hub Pages. My new blogs are performing much better than hubs here in terms of organic traffic.

1. beautyrose profile image60
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean by penalty? your account was disabled?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image73
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No being penalized is different from account being disabled. I have written a hub on it http://hubpages.com/hub/How-and-Why-I-joined-Hub-Pages

26. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Stay far away from Helium.com.  They booted me and kept all 109 of my articles for exposing the lie that their stewards were not volunteers but were paid every month.  Now, one of my mystery stories is for sale on Amazon and I receive nothing.  They seem to be failing rapidly and they deserve to.  There are some good members there but the main stewards are obnoxious, arrogant people.

27. dawei888 profile image60
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

That's a great question! I have had the most success with my sites that I own. It's a ton of work though. argh!

28. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

My Russian mail order bride site of course. smile smile

So you are the one putting up all those ads big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nooooo UW I am just pulling their legs.Whether they be human legs or chicken legs.. Нет это не не я.... smile

29. Shirley Anderson profile image72

A thought just occurred to me...not for the first time, but I seem to forget it once I dig in and start working.  I work from the time I get up til the time I go to bed, usually.  Love what I do but get tired sometimes.  In my case, I can't work any harder so I need to work smarter.

Speaking of which, I need to go read Darkside's hubs again.

30. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Hubpages is my favorite site for writing and earning online, but I also do well with ehow.com and examiner.com. I stopped working on my Squidoo page because I just see far greater results on my other sites.

31. broadex2 profile image54
    broadex2posted 14 years ago

I found this site quite useful though im not sure whether all the sites shown on the article allow adsense.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Free-Blog-Hosts … un-Adsense

32. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Love that sign on your site, "Cowboy Parking".  Where is that?  I'd like to see the cowboys. smile

33. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

In Техаs  - the article is about Texas defensive driving smile

LOL, my first thought was, Texan cowboys are probably nice, then my mind went to the fact that cowboys 'drive' horses - they need defensive driving for that?

34. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Sure they need defense - they got to many Mexicans on one side, and too much Federal government on another wink

lol

35. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Hi Emie  smile

I tried howtodothings.com last week. (Uninvited Writer kindly shared it on her profile - thought I'd give it a go).

They accepted me but the article I submitted days ago still hasn't been approved. I think the downside of it is you can't publish anything - they have to maybe make amendments to it but it seems to work for some people. Good Luck if you try it.

36. janni321 profile image58
    janni321posted 14 years ago

I use Xomba.com with hubpages. this site offers 50% adsense page impression.
    Pros:
    Your article shown at the main page in recent post category

If your article got more plus point for that week then it will shown at the main page in top xombytes of the week category

The site has good page rank in google

you can also share links, pics and videos

A good news is that now xomba.com old fashioned and slow version xomba 2.0 is over, they are going to launch xomba 3.0 so the site is offline now  smile

Cons

Slow speed

I don't discuss more cons as the old site version is over now and new version is coming. So hope it would be improved from it  previous version

37. quickvideooptinx profile image61
    quickvideooptinxposted 14 years ago

I too make my money on sites that I own. While I'm embarassed by them, I probably make the most on my adult sites. On the same token, I make a decent chunk of change on affiliate review sites, video sites, and my blogs.

My latest project = http://quickvideooptinx.com/

It's working it's way up my list to being a very profitable site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)