Why people that believe in God are so afraid of dying ?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (95 posts)
  1. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Why religious people grieve so much about death and are 'scared to death' of dying if, when they die, the'll be with God forever? What's wrong with dying anyway? Your born condemned to death...Is it not?

1. JonTutor profile image60
      JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Birth and Death are facts of life... maybe religious folks who've committed lots of sins.... afraid of being judged.

tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image52
        ellzaxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Religious people are afraid of dying because they can't imagine the thought of it just being over, and religion offers an answer to the "after life". That is, of course, if you believe, but deep down, no matter what the human brain can endure in church, most people can't fool their brains in to believing it. If I told a Christian that the sky is green instead of blue, would they get mad at me and argue? No, the wouldn't simply say, "ooookay, Mr. Crazy, whatever you say…" because they know that I would be incorrect. However, if I tell them there is no God, look out!!! They will go crazy on you and get angry and tell you exactly why their is a God etc. Why? Just like any other fact that they know to be true, their reaction should be the same as the sky is green example. Instead, though, they get angry or offended. Why? Because deep down, no matter how much they attend church or read the Bible, they don't KNOW for a fact, and it bothers them when someone questions this very important after life that they so much want to exist….

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not doubt that there is a God.

2. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Conversely, one can make the same argument about atheism. Atheists appear to get angry when you suggest that, deep down, they aren't sure a God doesn't exist. They jump up and argue.  I don't see a great deal of difference in atheism and theism by the way the adherents present their beliefs.

1. profile image54
            HollywoodF1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

To help you understand better, atheism is not a believe, it's the default. That's the beauty of it--by definition, you don't have to believe. It requires no effort.  It just is.  It's like saying that not collecting stamps is a hobby. Mathematically: you believe that atheism is the inverse of theism; as though you take theism, multiply it by negative-one, and you get atheism. Actually, it's like multiplying theism by zero.  It's not the belief of unbelief, it's the lack of belief.  The belief of unbelief is Satanism-- itself, just as silly to an atheist.

2. lorgh profile image61
      lorghposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is in human nature to question eveything.
      God's people knows that there is a better on the otherside.  It is really scary when you change.
      Just think about your changing your career or even think about that bungy jump.
      Each makes your heart race.  If you have taken your training to heart and ready you should not panic. You will panic for it is human nature to fight or flee.
      I remember when my grandmother died. She could not speak, she did hear us, and she was always trying to tell us things with her mouns.
      It was heart breaking to hear her moun.  I believe she was trying to get things in order. Even though she could not use words.
      I just think it is your choice to be afraid or release with no fear.

for religious people, to die should be for the better. Why the fear, then? It's like having a plane ticket for your favourite retreat...why should you be afraid?

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some treats are meant to be savored. Life, for instance. smile

3. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its the other way around, a spiritual person who has come across god has already died and come back.He knows there is no such thing as death and its just a door to another dimension, the dimension of god where one is anything but dead.
      There is nothing wrong in dying. smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Deathpoem

4. Pamda Man profile image57
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought I've seen you post a few pointless religious topics already. Besides I thought people who believed in God wanted to die because they could go to heaven and see him. Topic creator needs to think before blatantly posting these topics. Talk about pointless...

I've seen you messing around, posting on every topic  rubbish to create confrontation. Are you collecting posts? lol I'm not going to reply to tou. It's a waist of time lol

5. profile image53
      mascarastabberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Why are undercover witnesses, that used to be a journalist for an international media group, that live somewhere in the Tropic of Capricorn so mean/stupid/insert judgmental word here?"

See how daft that quote sounds, because I don't know you or anyone else that fits that description, and really couldn't make that assumption?

Then why do you insist on judging all religious people, thinking that they are all scared to death? You don't know them all.

PS: That quote wasn't meant to be taken as true, nor do I think that, it's just an example. My sincere apologies if it was taken as such.

lol  lol  lol
        How stupid can you be?

1. profile image53

I'm sorry.
          I didn't mean it to be offensive, just tried to make my point that it seems as though you're implying that all people who believe in God are afraid of dying.
          I liked your article on the Puppini Sisters.

Don't worry mate, it's all right smile This is just a post.i'm not implying anything, really.Chillout lol i'm a journalist. I like to confront people and  read what people think

1. profile image53

Ah, alrighty.

On topic however, I'm not quite sure that some people fear death itself, the ending of live, but more of the pain that comes with it. Maybe that's just me, hm.

6. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The real question is how can you have a discussion about this question and keep a straight face. Any good sociologist will tell you that the fear of death is universal. It is not the unique characteristic of the religious.

What's wrong with dying? You don't have a problem with it? Fine. You go first....

I don't have any problem in going first...and you 'll have to follow even if you don't like it.  So what's the problem ?  I don't understand you and I don't like agressive people.. this is  only a forum...lol lol lol

7. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Because they know they are going to be judged, and held accountable for their actions.  I think it is also the fear that Jesus is going to say, "I never knew you."

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He only said that to those claiming they cast out demons, prophesied and stuff, but these claims are said by Christians not atheists or agnostics

8. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is VERY SIMPLE, religious people believe that if they are IMPERFECT, they will go to HELL.  To religionists, hell is a very dark, evil, negative place where one is tormented for....ETERNITY.   The thought of hell scares religionists who are afraid of going there despite the fact they are diligent believers.  Somehow, they may feel that as if they have failed God & will be condemned to there despite leading what they call a pristine life.  There are some religionists who contend that MOST people will go to hell while only a few elect will go to heaven.  They even believe that they may be included on the hell list as they may not, in their estimation, be worthy of going to heaven.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13223094.jpg

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I think you question is kind of the other way around. The answer is: People become religious, because they are scared of death. smile

And are scared of God as well lol

3. spidergirl364 profile image57
    spidergirl364posted 14 years ago

Hm? I'm not afriad of death.  I'm just afraid of pain.

I agree with you there. smile  But people generaly, though believing in God ,are afraid to die.

4. fishmox profile image60
    fishmoxposted 14 years ago

There's nobody not afraid of death, I guess.
    I've known a lot of "bad boys" in my time, having grown up part in the streets.
    One thing I can say, when they're laying there bleeding and dying, they all cry out for mama and beg to be taken to hospital.
    The experience of dying is something not common, and many folks don't know what lies ahead.
    Voltaire hated God but it is said that in his deathbed his cry was "You won, Carpenter.  I step out into eternity condemned" (not verbatim, mind you, but words to that effect).
    On the other hand, those that Rome burned at the stake went to their deaths for the most part singing hymns, it is told.
    I don't know.

As far as I am concerned, I am afraid to die, but not terrified of the prospect, because I do have a hope in heaven, and He is a steadfast and sure hope.

And if there is no God and no heaven ?
    Well then it follows I have no soul, and if I have no soul, then I have no consciousness and no terror beyond the last breath.

But I know that my Redeemer liveth, and in my flesh I shall see him one day.

5. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I am afraid of dying because of seperation from my loved ones, fear of pain, fear of incontinentcy(inevitable I am sure, and loss of control or freedom...)

6. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Have you never noticed how the Irish and a bunch of other cultures celebrate a person's life when they die?

You'd be surprised how many people have a feeling of comfort and anticipation on their death beds.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

I have celebrated many people's life after they died. It is part of my culture.

One day you will realize that a funeral is for the people left alive - not to celebrate their resurrection in heaven,

Just exactly how many 25 year olds have a feeling of comfort and anticipation on their death beds as they drowned or died in a car crash

lol lol lol lol

Another 4LOL moment from the religionist Make Money.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been to 8 funerals. Only one of them was for someone who had lived a full life. hmm

2. tantrum profile image60

lol lol lol

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Its is the "death point" which is crucial in a humans life ,this is the moment he can fuse with god.

Thank you for posting. I think you're a beautiful human being smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Thank you and welcome smile

1. beautyrose profile image61
            beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe its because that life after is not known to us who are still alive. We don't know how it is after we die so its natural for human being regardless of religion to fear death.

This is mans biggest doubt and fear but it is possible to die and come back- enlightenment what Jesus and other masters meant when they said  reborn.

1. Cathi Sutton profile image68
                Cathi Suttonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know who the "other masters" are that you are referring to, but I sincerely believe Jesus had a very good vocabulary.  So if he had meant "enlightenment" that would have been his word of choice.  In fact I have read the Bible alot, and I don't recall Jesus ever using the word "enlightenment".  So maybe it would be wise to double check before you advise someone on what Jesus "meant".  For your own sake as well as the sake of the person you may be misinforming.

beautyrose is right.
                  What Jesus meant was enlightment. There are a lot of hidden teachings in the Bible. you don't have to take by the word.

Only an enlightened one can say I am the light. smile
                    Correct there is a lot of depth in the Bible and all spiritual books which cannot be taken literally. Even multiple aspects are there for the same sentence or couplet or paragraph.

2. mohitmisra profile image60

I understand what Jesus meant simply because I have fused with the Holy spirit like him, I am a knower of god .
                  Enlightenment - reborn -satori, samadhi- same thing.
                  If you understand the meaning of reborn you will understand the meaning of enlightenment.
                  Other masters - prophets and saints who became the light, who found the kingdom of god within themselves.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand your first paragraph. I am from a culture that accepts death as part of life and is not afraid to acknowledge that persons life to the fullest,much like the American Native Indian and other similar native cultures.

The goodbyes are done slowly,with the loved ones body present,  with purpose allowing the grief process to begin.
      Crying is encouraged ,its sad afterall, and laughter also over past happy memories.( the process can take 1-4 days) depends on the family.
      I might write a hub about it .
      The nearest traditional other funeral I can think of would be a "state funeral" perhaps.

1. profile image53

I'd love to read it if you write it. It sounds interesting.

7. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Death is the biggest change I can think of. You are leaving everything you know, your home, your family, and friends - everything. Being afraid of death seems pretty normal, even for religious people. I've known dying people. They all pretty much seem to move toward acceptance and wind up feeling so shitty they just want to go.

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm not afraid to die.

Good 4 u! You're an intelligent woman smile

9. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I fear dying before I see my favorite sports team win the championship.

Before that, I'm not going anywhere

1. racemels32 profile image59
      racemels32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My aunt just passed and with the most content look on her face she said "i can go happy seeing my Penguins and Steelers win titles in the same year". We'll all miss her. Back on topic One of my biggest fears is dying because i don't want my loved ones to mourne me. I also dont want to miss out on the good times they share.

The facts of life smile

1. racemels32 profile image59
          racemels32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The facts of death sad

sorry if you see it that way  sad

10. Kudlit profile image62
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

Belief in God can be a coping mechanism for the fear of death. Wouldn't it be nice if there's really a soul that separates from the body after death?

Its the truth but there is work to be done at your death point.
      Its takes all your energy to cross over to the light.

2. tantrum profile image60

It would. Thank you 4 posting.smile

11. jenny88 profile image59
    jenny88posted 14 years ago

I don't think the dying is a big deal for me, and if I knew I was going to heaven why not get there quick!!!

I had a friend who new he was dying so we held a celebration before he died and no funeral.

Brilliant and very moving day
    makes you think about life

jenz

12. Cathi Sutton profile image68
    Cathi Suttonposted 14 years ago

Don't go to your death trembling or with regret for what might have been.  Go to your death knowing you did all you could to be of service to your people.

13. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Why are Christians afraid of death? I'm not sure if it is actually the fear of death that bothers us. It is loosing our faith in the the worship of life that is most disturbing. If we can stop worshiping life, the fear of death is not so great.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is so so true.

sense 2 me 2!! This thread is full of sense ! lol

14. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Death is all part of nature's cycle.  I'm not afraid of death, regardless of what form it may take me.  A friend of mine once told me that she was afraid of dying, not because she was afraid of going to Hell, but because she didn't know what to expect.  I believe that fear comes from not knowing, of not having control, of trusting that all will be okay after.

15. SamSurvivor profile image58
    SamSurvivorposted 14 years ago

Most likely it's several reasons. Some of the reasons I've witnessed is that the people dying are worried about those they're leaving behind. They know they'll be grieving and don't wish that on anyone.

For some, it's probably the unknown after death. We have faith that we're going to Heaven, but we're not sure the exact route or process that takes place after death. Besides there are different depths of faith.

Put it this way. I hate having a root canal. I've had several so I know that my Dentist is capable of performing one without causing me pain. But I worry and fret about it for a week or more before my appointment. I'm constantly asking my self all kinds of silly questions.

Then once he's done, I feel silly for worrying. It's quick, painless and there was nothing to be worried about after all. Just like going to Heaven!

16. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

Well, I am a religious person and I am not afraid of death. I am afraid of how I might die...will it be painful, violent, uncomfortable, etc.

17. spidergirl364 profile image57
    spidergirl364posted 14 years ago

One possible answer to this topic could be that religious people want to make an impact before they die?  They're afraid of dying in the fact that they might not have done all they could.  (They believe they have a purpose here)

18. profile image0
    thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years ago

The only people who are afraid of death are the ones who are not followers of God and his true word. Atheist and other nonbelievers are materialistic their goal since they don't believe in God is to make money seek out instantly pleasure and "live their own life without fear" but death would be the end all their worldly treasures and pleasures so when they die they believe that's the end so atheist and non believers have everything to lose. Christians know their is more and have no fear of death we don't want to rush it but when it happens we know our fate. Everlasting life with Jesus Christ.

Nice words! I appreciate them! smile by the way, why where u so mad in another thread minutes ago ? Chill out, man Jesus loves you, Im sure ! smile Peace & love from an atheist to a believer

1. profile image0
        thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not mad fed up with atheist, who cannot prove anything, but claim to be an intellectual. I'll calm down when you wake up my friend, from a saved person trying to help a blind man.

19. tantrum profile image60

Can't you see that nobdy can prove anything ? For me you are so blind as I'm for you. And that's the end of the story smile

1. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this statement also unprovable or do you think you can prove it?

20. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Maybe they dont believe in God nearly as much as they claim to. We read scriptural accounts of people who were quite willing to lay down their lives because they anticipated something better after death. In fact, the Apostle Paul said and I quote...having a desire to depart (die) and be with the Lord, or to remain with you. (paraphrased)

That make sense 2 me

21. athena08 profile image54
    athena08posted 14 years ago

I think it is sort of an oxymoron to fear death yet claim to have faith in God.  Exactly what some have said previously when we die we go to our God so there should be no fear.  I could understand fearing a painful death.

In my case I do not fear death, I would however like to die in a pain-free manner.  However, my dread of my dying would be for those left behind who would miss me.  I wouldn't want them to have pain...even though I know it is inevitable.

Dying is a complete unknown to us and as humans most of us do not like the unknown.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said! The ones we love matter deeply when we can see the loss they will have to cope with when we die. I do not fear death otherwise either.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it is an oxymoron. If someone believes in God, and believes that when they die they will see their God, it is still reasonable to fear death. It is the loss of the life they are leaving that instills fear.
        I'm totally scared of dying. God or not. I don't want to leave the life I'm living.

That is great to hear! Good for you, especially in your youth, luckily it has always remained like that for me through life. smile smile

2. profile image0

Be careful. This scripture has been proven true...they that love their lives shall lose it, and they that hate it shall gain it, even unto life eternal. (words Of Jesu Cristi paraphrashed)

This is to do with ego and attachment, when you have none that's when you can enter the kingdom of god.

22. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

may be we are afraid as we want to see more in this world

may be we find love in our environment and we want to spend ages keep doing what we do and also with the friends and families we chat and live and care for.

I am also afraid as I am the engine of my home-train. Imagining this train without me creates millions of uncertainties in my mind

I agree hubchief, it is harder when others depend on you.

2. profile image0

Be careful. This scripture has been proven true...they that love their lives shall lose it, and they that hate it shall gain it, even unto life eternal. (words Of Jesu Cristi paraphrashed)

It does not matter how you phrase it fiery! There is ample science to explain why god is a man made myth.
        The major religious tomes such as the Bible and Quoran for example are supposedly designed for all to read, yet they are self evidently unreadable!
        This is evidenced by hundreds of religions stemming from the same few books.Non dumbed down humans will see this straight away with just one example, and there are hundreds of ways that this is self evident to all scientific minds except for the few scientist Christians who defend the indefensible..

2. profile image0

gawd, i'm such an idiot. Sorry hubchief, this was directed to Colebadie. I'm just seeing this mistake now. Geez!

23. tantrum profile image60

Thank you all for posting ! smile I'm happy to see that in this thread nobody's insulting other fellow hubbers. Lets try to keep it that way smile

24. world of the wise profile image66
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

If were where so sure about the life after here, no one would have feared, but many fear they may end up in hell or some bad place

That's true. Blame it on religion when it's badly interpreted  smile

25. tantrum profile image60

you're not allowed 2 promote your hubs in this forum. Please delete sad

1. world of the wise profile image66
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was posting sn answer to the question, any way am going to delete

26. world of the wise profile image66
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

Never mind, i never take things personal. and i dont fear death at all. I think the world out there is better.

27. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Angry, mentally unwell little christian! What happened, get too hot in the kitchen?

28. tantrum profile image60

Plese don't mess up my thread. I' ve been polite to you smile

29. tantrum profile image60
    1. profile image0
      thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've deleted my post. Thx

It wasn't necessary smile but thank you anyway

30. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I'm hoping I'll have a long and happy life but I am quite excited about the experience of dying - I bet it's mind blowing! Call me strange if you like....... tongue

I'm not a religionist but have developed my own spiritual belief system, so maybe that's why I'm not scared.

Honestly, I'm more afraid of those around me dying and how I'd cope with the emotional pain.

31. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

not a problem. In fact in my life I have evidenced this. thsoe whom we loved most are not among us. lived very small life. and those who have been neutral are living normally. may be i interpretted it so however believe it very strongly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)