Anyone else noticing a drop in traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (59 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 8 years ago

I've been noticing quite a drop in traffic the past 2 days.  Is it just me?

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here! Too many blue arrows!

2. MelRootsNWrites profile image90
      MelRootsNWritesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine dropped at the beginning of last week, which seemed to coincide with whatever Google did to drop the site traffic.  However, since Thursday my numbers have been perking up and today looks good.

I wonder if the NBA and NHL playoffs might be playing into some of the drop in traffic.

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Also AMC was playing a Mad Men marathon for 3 days leading up to the finale. That's where all of my extra time and attention went from Friday AM to Sunday evening lol.

3. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I just checked. Stats are stalled again, too.

vocalcoachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Okay.  Thanks Sha.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
          bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Read this article. It specifically addresses the drop in traffic on HP and why it's happened.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102669423

1. Jodah profile image90
            Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing this Shauna, that's a very interesting read. Worrying though.

2. Solaras profile image96

WTF "Where Google used to drive traffic to other sites, it's now keeping people on its own properties, even though the information being displayed comes from other sources. The egg frying instructions, for example, are from foodnetwork.com."

How does this help the author of an article if Google slurps up their info on to their own property. Are they paying foodnetwork for this?

4. eugbug profile image97
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed a drop on Monday which is usually a busy day for traffic (why is this?).
      Has anyone noticed a jump in earnings in the last few dates despite lower views? Maybe this has something to do with the "new ad partners"?

5. Saphyaire profile image60
      Saphyaireposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am new here, but I noticed a sudden drop too,  I was thinking to write science article to promote my YouTube channel, but submitting original science journal topic to low traffic site, not a good idea

6. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

mine dropped a lot. from 150 to 77! What in the world in going on ? ANway, it had picked up today.

vocalcoachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my traffic is also on the rise.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
          Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine was on the rise on Saturday, but dropped again on Sunday.

2. alikhan3 profile image94
    alikhan3posted 8 years ago

Yes I have also noticed around 40% drop in traffic these days ....... Its going up and down since the last month.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

Well I now have no traffic at all, which hasn't happened since I joined this site. It really just sucks up any motivation to write here at all.

1. WAHmom profile image74
      WAHmomposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree; and the hubs' score are no longer ranked from highest to lowest....example: 79, 55, 53, 60, 74, 65...why is this so? It's like a scatterbrain's idea.

4. Neha Sadana profile image90
    Neha Sadanaposted 8 years ago

yes, severe drop in traffic with lots of blue arrows ...

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 8 years ago

I've noticed about a 50% drop in traffic. I haven't seen my traffic this low since I started here. Did Google change their algorithm again??

6. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

The past month has been one long, slow, continuous traffic drop. Ugh.

7. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 8 years ago

According to this thread- http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/130535 -almost everyone lost 20%. Not sure why yours would be down 50.

8. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 8 years ago

I've seen a traffic drop of about 40% over the past three weeks. It's a mess. I hadn't even recovered from the Panda update of last September. Worse still, I'm seeing low quality (thin content) hubs that are written in fractured English beating mine in the serps. I'm livid.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Those lower quality hubs might be published by newer Hubbers, who get a little hub boost when they are first starting out so they do not get discouraged right off.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91

These are established accounts. I've reported them, but HubPages does nothing. I guess it's because they're making money. One hub is not only in fractured English with thin content, it also has pixelated images.

Oh dear!

2. WAHmom profile image74
        WAHmomposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really? Hubpages wants to please new hubbers even if means sacrificing quality? Well,yeah....they are not big about writing quality. I see hubs that are poorly written but they are accepted. Sometimes I wonder why the editors don't correct the errors at all! HP has really gone down the drain.

9. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Are any of you looking at your Google Analytics as well or are you only going by the stats here?  the stats here are regularly glitchy and incorrect, particularly over the weekend.  My stats here are very low, but my analytics showed higher traffic.  Of course, it's been dropping a bit too - but it's not as dire as the stats here make it look.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True. The sharp decline started last night and I immediately checked GA. My stats were off by more than half. They seem to be stabilizing now and on the increase.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91

HP stats are so off, I hardly take any notice of them nowadays, apart from checking for copied content, unfeatured hubs etc.

10. steve8miller profile image66
    steve8millerposted 8 years ago

Yep I noticed.

11. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Yes, down down down..all blue arrows.

12. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 8 years ago

Yea. Mine has fallen drastically.

13. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 8 years ago

I've also noticed a drop as well in my views. Not sure of the percentage, but definitely a lot of those little blue arrows! Hopefully it's just a bad patch.

14. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 years ago

My traffic is bouncing back up today...

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I'm back to normal.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Last week my have been some sort of trial precluding a proper algo update.  Or maybe Paul E's stern email to Google worked...  big_smile

I was wondering the same thing.
          Whatever it is I am seeing some improvement.

15. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 8 years ago

Not drastically. For the most part traffic is status quo for me, though it's certainly not rising. This time of year I feel like my hubs that are directly related to travel or summer holidays do the very best.

16. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Looks like the 20% universal drop in Traffic Quota for HP is now locked in.

http://www.wotisnew.com/ustats.jpg

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What happened has nothing to do with a 'quota.'  What happened is that Google has further refined its algorithm and has, once again, targeted low-quality pages on HP.  As many of us have stated over and over again on this forum, there are still too many low-quality Hubs on the site.  More of those low-quality pages took a hit from Google this time around. http://searchengineland.com/the-quality … -up-221118

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

An old debate but
        "once again, [Google] targeted low-quality pages on HP" does not marry with Paul E's findings that the 22% drop applied universally to pages of all qualities, shapes and sizes (the Good, Bad and Ugly - all dropped). "This Update isn't About Quality at the Page Level ........This means Google applied a site-wide ranking factor that ignores quality and subdomains" See: http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/M … gle-Update

Google applied a penalty to HP (rich snippets abuse, thin pages, manual penalties, etc), which effectively amounts to a Quota or share adjustment. Why else is the traffic so consistent over many months despite all the changes that were made?

I call it a Quota, it looks like a Quota, the traffic behaves like there is a Quota - call it what you will.

I believe that Google has a quota for all sites which is manipulated after Panda and core algo changes to share the traffic the way it wants (a universal ranking penalty adjustment). Radical perchange, but it explains what is happening

In that article, Paul E. was just looking at traffic numbers for May 3.  When you look at the average traffic from April 19 – April 30 and compare it to the average May 6 – May 18, HP traffic went down by about 11.7%.  Not every Hub lost traffic and some Hubs gained traffic.  My most-trafficked Hubs did not lose their ranking positions on Google.

Paul E. also stated that the change Google made in ranking "ignores quality" on HP.  That's not what Google stated in the link I posted.  But HP's definition of a quality Hub has never matched Google's definition. This is why you find Hubs with high traffic sent from Google but with very low Hub Scores. 

And this was not a Google-applied "penalty to HP."  This algorithm adjustment was for the purpose of ranking webpages on search results pages.  Hubs that lost rankings on Google's SERPs were evaluated as lesser quality answers for a given search query.

It's no surprise that the HubPro-edited Hubs lost traffic because the editors do not consider the effects of their edits on SEO and they are tampering with things they do not understand. The edited Hubs I've looked at have had many new photos added without proper Alt tags, which is a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines. The Editor's Choice designation never had any correlation with Google search rankings and the Google algorithm never selected those as the best Hubs on this site. 

Google does not seek to "share traffic" but, rather, to deliver the best answer for a given search query.

1. janderson99 profile image54

Beg to differ. Cheers!

2. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If they targetted low quality pages, Writer Fox, why did all my hubs with scores in the 90s get hit (I had six two weeks ago now none) and all my lower hubs stay virtually the same? Ok, I have just read your second post..that explains it somewhat. Google and HP's version of quality is different.

Nobody really quite knows what Google's definition of quality is, they deliberately use slightly vague language and never give any practical examples - supposedly because they don't want to help people game the system.

I don't think either of those articles from 2011 and 2012 conflict with the thrust of what I said.

If you think that statements of intent, such as: "Does the article describe both sides of a story?", or "Would you expect to see this article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?" are exact, and not open to multiple interpretations, then that is your prerogative.  smile

Is the Google algo, a mathematical equation, capable of assessing a hub according to those two questions?  I would say no. 

It would be virtually impossible to get two humans to agree, so a freaking computer algorithm, which doesn't understand concepts of value, morality, etc. has no chance  smile

Google often puts out "statements of intent", but in some ways, one could view them as propaganda tools, as they often bear scant resemblance to the reality on the ground.

17. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Monday traffic less than Sunday traffic. That never happens. Until now.

edit: actually I'll have to take that half back. Only happened with US traffic. Global was indeed a tad more.

18. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago
    1. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, that is that!

My main website has gained traffic. My main HP subdomain has lost traffic. I'm going to chew on that for awhile...

19. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Excerpted from Google Support, "Engaging: Bring color and life to your site by adding images of your products, your team, or yourself. Make sure visitors are not distracted by spelling, stylistic, and factual errors. An excessive amount of ads can also be distracting for visitors. Engage visitors by interacting with them through regular updates, comment boxes, or social media widgets."

Maybe now is the time to get rid of those Sponsored Links? That's 5 ads right there. And if you follow any of those links, you are met with a solid wall of ads. Google has really got to hate that... And besides, we don't get paid for those anyway.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

paradigm, I've thought that for a long time. Our hubs look spammy with all those.

1. Solaras profile image96

They look even more spammy on mobile devices.

I have had to move images to less than optimal places in the article and delete polls just to keep the reader from running into bock after block of ad, image, poll with no  relevant text in between. The mobile screen ads are often huge and junky looking; in some instances it looks like the article ended abruptly.

2. janderson99 profile image54

Hey Paradigm the related search ads are kapput! - Someone heard you. Great news after 2 years of pleading!

20. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

For me traffic and earnings showing a very negative trend. I am more upset on the sharp fall in earnings. Last month i couln't earn even 10 $. Things are in a bad shape here and clueless how to address these negative trend.

21. Valerie P Davis profile image74
    Valerie P Davisposted 8 years ago

Pinterest started selling pin placements last week--simultaneously my Pinterest traffic dropped to about a third. It's going to be even harder now to get traffic without paying for it.

22. Zhivko Stanev profile image60
    Zhivko Stanevposted 8 years ago

Blue arrows here... No idea what could have caused it though.

23. Lee Hansen profile image78
    Lee Hansenposted 8 years ago

And then there's this to consider ... it could get better. Or worse. http://searchengineland.com/google-we-a … ter-221331

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)