decline in traffic and earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. jimmar profile image95
    jimmarposted 8 years ago

I've been a HP member for five years now and have seen steady, but modestly increasing traffic and earnings until recently. My earnings are now close to what I was seeing three or four years ago. I thought maybe it was a just a blip that I could wait out, but it has continued for months, probably since about September last year.

Maybe my content has reached it's saturation level and I that's why I'm not attracting new readers, but it seems that the earnings drop has outpaced the drop in views.

My earnings level is not too significant, but seeing increasing earnings and views does contribute to my enthusiasm. I will continue to write because I enjoy it, but I am dissappointed.

Is the decline due to my content or some changes in HP or Google? (this is probably a rhetorical question, I don't think anyone can provide a real answer)

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The traffic sucks because they did away with the sub-domains.  That part of it should recover.  Your earnings, and mine, currently suck because of economic fears.  None of this has jack to do with your content, it has to do with economic realities.  People aren't investing much in advertising just now, and that is just economics.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  My earnings haven't been THIS LOW EVER!   Yes, the economic crunch is a contributor but c'mon folks, this is RIDICULOUS.........Readers, show some hub appreciation......really, SHOW IT!

2. gmwilliams profile image85

It's good that YOU brought the discussion up!!!

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

It was September 2014 that everyone lost--the whole site--significant traffic. Google had an algo update and HP acquired Squidoo at that time. At any rate, I think the algo update affected traffic. I recovered somewhat but still not where I used to be; much of my work sunk in the Search Results. Then late last year HP ended the subdomains and I think something else happened with the search engine; traffic dropped again. Noticeably I had a surge during the usual Holiday/post-holiday surge, but earnings lowered afterward. Not entirely disappointed but I'm definitely not where I used to be in terms of traffic and earnings. And I agree with Wesman too; advertisers don't pay as much at the moment.

November & December earnings took a NOSEDIVE......Want my earnings to be what it ONCE WAS.........C'mon readers ........SHOW SOME LOVE NOW!!!!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine sunk September 2014 and has never gotten back to its previous numbers.

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Traffic good but CPM is the lowest ever so decent traffic does not always equal decent earnings.

1. alexadry profile image96
          alexadryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here, traffic is usual, but the CPM is very low, here and on my other sites.

2. kalinin1158 profile image92
          kalinin1158posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed the same trend with my hubs. Why is the CPM so low at the moment?

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
            Jason Marovichposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gurus are saying CPM will recover by mid- to late-February.

God, I HOPE SO!
              http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12154454.jpg
              I simply can't endure this any longer.........

2. janshares profile image94
              jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good! I hope they're right. hmm

3. jimmar profile image95
          jimmarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

how can I tell what my CPM is?

1. NateB11 profile image88
            NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

go to: My Earnings; then under Choose Report Type and Date Range, click box that says, All Programs; on drop down menu choose Ad Program, then hit submit button. Scroll down and you will see a column for CPM.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Yes, indeed.  My traffic is the same but CPM and earnings took a......PLUNGE....

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Earnings have not been updated in days ....  Very little Google traffic

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

MY traffic rose since the subdomain's change but earnings have stayed about the same.

5. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

CPM has dived to all time lows since I've been here. This month should've been my highest earning month but thanks to the CPM it's going to fall well short. I wonder why it's been so low and is it going to recover anytime soon. I feel like it's because January is a slow month, ad wise, overall.

Many have been experiencing a DECREASE in CPM and earnings.  NOT ONLY YOU!

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know it's not only me. I feel much worse for the super talented writers that have been hit by this because they deserve better.

6. profile image0
    Farawaytreeposted 8 years ago

I'm a newbie, but honestly last month's traffic and earnings were double the amount from this month so far. I'm getting a bit frustrated myself. I tell myself to just keep my head down and keep on writing!

7. Adam Harkus profile image60
    Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

I did an experiment and decided not to promote my hubs at all this week. Obviously the traffic dropped right off, but encouragingly organic traffic has steadily been on the rise since I started back in August.

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

well, someone's traffic must by up.  A hub of mine that normally doesn't get more than 20 or 30 views a  day is suddenly showing 500, and the referrer is hubpages for most of that traffic, so i guess it's getting some residual traffic as a 'related hub' on another hub's sidebar.  i wish there was a way to see whose coattails i'm riding on.

9. Judy Filarecki profile image70
    Judy Filareckiposted 8 years ago

My traffic is skyrocketing but my CPM's are going so low, pretty soon I'll have to pay HP instead of the other way around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)