How long did it take you to get a million views?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

I know that there is no "average" amount of time, but I am just curious. I see plenty of old-timers here who have that accolade. I have been here over 4 years, and I am about a third of the way there.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea when I reached it.  I suppose I posted something in the forums when I reached that milestone, but I really have no clue when I got there.  I checked my profile page, to see if it said anything on the accolade as to when I reached it, but found nothing.

Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

OK, so your profile says you have been here 7 years.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
          Anna Marie Bowmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yep...seven, closing in on 8 years, in August or September.

2. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Sherry,
      Great question. One that I've never pondered, but when I get the next HugPages Email/Newsletter, I shall look. Thanks for making me think.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think that I made 1 million views in my 4th year.

4. hclpd profile image92
      hclpdposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have been here for almost a year and half now, and just half a million to go. I should be there within 6 months.

Wow! Good work.

5. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've been here 4 years and I'm not even half way there. I have another account that does better traffic-wise, it might be closer. It is safe to say I am not the master of getting traffic. I know a little bit about how to get traffic, but get nowhere near the amount some people get. I think a lot of it has to do with subject matter. I've noticed writers who write well, have written a lot and still are low on traffic. Of course, then there is SEO.

I have been here 4 1/2, and I am not a third of the way there yet. I was a complete beginner when I started here. I knew absolutely nothing about SEO, and I hadn't done any kind of writing since school.

1. NateB11 profile image88

I was a beginner too, in terms of SEO and Internet writing. When I started,  I just wrote what I was really interested in, didn't consider how to get traffic at all. It's hit or miss doing things that way, so I learned my lesson.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
            Jesse Drzalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a good thing though, to experiment. That way you find out which topics drive better traffic.

1. NateB11 profile image88

Very true.

1. kenneth avery profile image80

I am so thankful that I know very little about Quantum Physics for if I were to hub about that subject, I would come off looking very, very foolish and that, I cannot tolerate anymore.

I always try to remember what the late President, John F. Kennedy said, "we choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are HARD."
                  And that easily applies to the subjects on my hub list that I knew little about until I did some research.

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My work reached a million views around 1.5 years I think. Now it has over 16.3 million after nine years, but some people have more views.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I just completed 8 years. I am at 735,000. That being said, I have not worked very hard, especially in the last couple of years. I have also taken down a few old hubs and that probably takes whatever views I had on them off the total.
    In the past few weeks my views  are way  up with niche hubs. Total daily views are  about 4 or 5 times what they were previously.

@ Rochelle,
      You have given me a fantastic idea. I am going to go back to my first hubs, delete a few and upgrade some with different-but-fitting graphics and change wording of headlines then share them with my followers. This is something I haven't accomplished besides reaching a million views.
      What a goal to reach.
      Thanks again, Rochelle for the great idea.
      Your Friend for Life,
      Kenneth

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenneth. As a former teacher, I always was pleased to inspire an new idea-- even if I was not trying to do that.  At some point I thought that-- as long as I had 100 hubs-- I should spend more time improving or upgrading what I had, especially polishing up the ones that were working.
        I appreciate you comment, more than you know.

Since the hub I published last night, "An Acorn Tale," I am taking a little time away, NOT LEAVING HubPages, to focus on my birdhouses and working on the old ones will keep the HubPages flowing in my veins.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92

That is great news that your traffic is up. At that rate that accolade should not be too far off.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 7 years ago

1 million is very impressive. But when you see the 10 million ones it just boggles the mind. Now that is a lot!

1. hclpd profile image92
      hclpdposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. I wonder how much time that is going to take!

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
        DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I reached 1 million with about 2 years too but that next one is REALLY far away. 9 million to that next accolade! I am half way there, and although views are up a lot with the niche sites I still expect it to take many more years.

4. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 7 years ago

I am part of this site for more than 8 years now. I think I made it to the 1 million club in around 3 years and ten million in the 6th year.  Now with the amount of traffic I get, it may take me ages to achieve another milestone.

Wow, you got there fast! Ten million is an impressive milestone.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey, been a while since I've seen you on the forums. Have any of your hubs been moved to the niche sites? Most of us are seeing huge improvements in traffic, so it may not really be that long smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Me too.

Alexadry has hit it on the head - however long we took to achieve that milestone, new writers will take far, far longer.  There is so much more competition now.

5. Paul Kuehn profile image92
    Paul Kuehnposted 7 years ago

I made 400,000 views after five years. If I'm lucky, I will hit a million views after a decade on HP.  This has been done with 173 featured hubs.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 7 years ago

In five years or so I gained 600,000 views.  That first 1,000 milestone was very exciting.  A million seemed impossible.

I loved your hub on the Knucklehead run.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate you reading one of my hubs. The first 1000 was exciting, and the first 100,000. I celebrated my 1/4 million, even though there is no accolade for it. I'm sure I will feel the same when I reach 500,000.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I celebrated when I hit 1/4 million, too, Sherry. I just hit 300,000+ today after 3+ years. smile I'm looking forward to reaching 500,000 with the help of the niche sites. Traffic is definitely increasing faster.

You are doing well! Congrats.

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

I think it was about 3 and a half years maybe 4..... But now views on HP are much lower than they once were..

8. lbrummer profile image93
    lbrummerposted 7 years ago

I came over from Squidoo when HubPages acquired it, I think it will be two years in September.  I reached the one million mark sometime in the past six months. I'm now at 1,309,000.  In October my husband unexpectedly passed away, and I'm just now getting back to noticing what is happening at HubPages.  None of my hubs have been put into the niche sites, most of them have to do with crafts.  I'm hoping they get some attention when the second go around happens.

I'm so sorry about your husband. That must have made HubPages seem pretty unimportant. I'm glad you are back.

Do your previous Squidoo views count toward that total? I am in kind of the same boat with niche sites. A few of mine have been moved, but I have many others that would fit some of the sites that have not been chosen yet.

2. kenneth avery profile image80

Ibrummer,
      I too am sorry about your husband's untimely demise. My prayers and sympathies are with you.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 7 years ago

HubPages introduced accolades with the May 12, 2010 newsletter, which they touted as "more granular feedback on how you're doing."

I had been with the site for almost four years by then, and was awarded about eight badges right off the bat, including a million view ding at the time.

That's quite an accomplishment, getting a million in under 4 years. I have heard that traffic on HP in general was better back then.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

People have talked about HubPages seeing improvements in CPMS and traffic with niches, but it's still down like 90% for both from their peak in 2011-2012.

Yes, too bad a lot of us missed those glory days sad

10. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

At the rate I'm going it may be in 4 more years! big_smile

Oh well, slow and steady hey? We all go at our own pace.

11. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

Whatever HP says one's traffic total is, it is in actuality more. Nothing nefarious, they just take away from the total any traffic that was generated by hubs one has since deleted.

I apologize to you, paradigmsearch, for this callus interruption, but look bellow---I learned how to download photo(s) of my recently-finished birdhouses. I know that you would have taught me well how to do this, but I saw the small camera icon on the comment box and bam! Success.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How many bedrooms do they have? Do they have solar panels? What kind of property tax increase can one expect?

paradigmearch . . . smile . . . from one to four bedrooms, no solar panels yet and little to nothing of property tax. So far, I have had ZERO complaints from customers whose birds have moved into these sturdy-but-beautiful birdhouses.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
            paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

For those who don't know, you can contact Kenneth by clicking the fan mail button on his profile; an email link then becomes available.

Dear paradigsearch,
              Wow! Thank you so much. I am sincere. I.O. U Big time. And P.S. to my above comment: I mean to say that I haven't had any complaints from any of the BIRDS who are now tenants in one of the houses my customers have bought.

Good luck with your birdhouse business.

I've deleted a few, but then those were the hubs that didn't have much traffic to begin with.

12. profile image59
    Mills Pposted 7 years ago

With my time and views here, I should reach 1 million views around 2588. I guess I'll just have to get busy if I want to get there sooner.

Deleted

I didn't know that the photos were going to be this big, so here is another model:

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13019022_f248.jpg

You never know when one of your hubs will unexpectedly skyrocket. I've had a few.. well they were more like road flares, but every little bit helps.

13. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

It took almost exactly 3 years for me to reach one million views with 42 hubs. Thanks to the new niche sites, views are gaining every week and are now 4 times what they were at the start of the year. I am cautiously optimistic that the new sites can maintain their currency with the search engines.

Wow, that's good time. I see that your hubs are all very focused on your niche.

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I started a second account when niches were of some meaning for a catchall, broad topic account.  It has completely floundered since September 2014, prior to that it made monthly payout. So sad about the efforts there lol. It continues to suck...

14. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 7 years ago

I hit the mark a couple of months ago, so it took about 3 1/2 years for me.

15. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

I'll let you know if and when I ever get there ... Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

16. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

If all continues to go well with the niche sites I'm expecting this account to hit the 1-million mark in the next couple of months. When it does it will be my 3rd account to get the 1M badge thingy.

The first account took about 2.5 years, and the second hit it in just under a year. This is my smallest account and has been nearly abandoned at certain times. It seems to be taking forever, but it should finally make it just past its 4th birthday.

17. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

It used to be pretty easy several years ago, when the world of writing wasn't that crowded as today. I remember when I started writing here about 8 years ago, I was one of the very first to write on certain topics so page views were quite abundant and quick to come, those were really good times. Today, things are more difficult, there is a lot of competition and likely any topic you write about somebody already tackled it, so it may take longer to reach this milestone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)