Does Anyone On Here Write Their Own Songs & Publish Them On Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (28 posts)
  1. LatestDud profile image62
    LatestDudposted 16 years ago

Hi There,
    I have written the music and lyrics to over 300 songs in the past 2 and a half years. I am debating whether I should share them on here or not. I was wondering if anyone else publishes their own songs on here and/or whether it would be a good idea for me to do so...?
    Thanks In Advance,
    Jaymee-Lee
    (aka LatestDud)

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Lyrics without music become poetry.  There are quite a few good poets on HubPages, so you would be in good company.  I guess it depends on two things:

One - what is your motivation?  Is it just to get your work out there, or to make money?  Poetry has its followers but doesn't generate much income on HubPages, from what I understand. 

Two - do your lyrics stand up well as poetry without the melody?  If not, then you would be better posting the songs themselves somewhere that allows audio.  I'm sure there must be such places around.

3. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

And to build on what Marisa said, do you have a recording of the music?

It's one thing to read the lyrics (it's like poetry), but it's a whole new thing if you've got audio (and even video!) to your songs!  If so, I'd love to hear them as I'm a huge fan of good music. smile

4. LatestDud profile image62

I do indeed record them. I'm not a singer but I do sing them just for the recording (got to if I want to make the song complete). I play the guitar and piano in them. Lately I've been recording more guitar than piano. I would love to post them up here at some point. :-)

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Latest dud, you should do that!  Post your audio and link it into your hub!  I'm excited to hear what you (and other musicians) have produced on here!

-Pete

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

The snag is that you can't post them on here with audio - only the lyrics.  The only way you  could include audio would be to record yourself performing them, put the videos on YouTube, then embed them from YouTube into the Hub.

6. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 16 years ago

I agree with Marisa. To add another point, if you post these lyrics online, be it HP or any other site, be sure to add a copyright to it! There have been hubbers here that have found that their work is being stolen and posted elsewhere with someone else's name on it.

I also agree with Wedding Consultant. I would love to hear some of them as I am also a poet and songwriter. As Marisa suggested, maybe you can record some video on YouTube.

Bonnie

7. dhoosier profile image54
    dhoosierposted 16 years ago

This may sound foolish,but how do you post a copyright on here ??

8. profile image57
    Tibbyposted 16 years ago

As a songwriter I was told to register mail my music/lyrics to myself.  This works similar to a copyright because it captures a timestamp proof of ownership.  Oh yeah, also write on the outside of the envelope exacly what lyrics/songs are contained in the envelope so that one day if you have to prove you are the owner, you don't open up the wrong envelope by mistake, because once it's opened, it's not longer valid evidence.  I still have an envelope I have no idea what's in it!  As for recorded music, create a MySpace account and link to the songs you can upload there.

9. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

Tibby,

This is how I have copyrighted all of my work. We refer to it as a "poor man's copyright" due to the high prices charged for normal copyrights. It is effecient as long as the seal is not broken.

Dhoosier, you can copyright online by creating your work in a word document. at the end, you can click on the special characters icon in word and find the copright seal. Post this seal followed by copyright (date) by (your name). Save it in your files and make sure that you copy and paste the copyright on each post. Hope this helps!

Bonnie

10. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

Tibby,

This is how I have copyrighted all of my work. We refer to it as a "poor man's copyright" due to the high prices charged for normal copyrights. It is effecient as long as the seal is not broken.

Dhoosier, you can copyright online by creating your work in a word document. at the end, you can click on the special characters icon in word and find the copright seal. Post this seal followed by copyright (date) by (your name). Save it in your files and make sure that you copy and paste the copyright on each post. Hope this helps!

Bonnie

11. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I published the lyrics for a couple of my songs, then in the links capsule I linked to my Myspace account so people can listen to me sing 'em.  It's fun.

12. WeddingConsultant profile image65

Awesome, GG, I didn't know you did that.  I'll have to check them out!

13. gamergirl profile image84

Hehe. big_smile  I'll post the links in a few.

14. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

So once you "publish something online" it is has absolutely no real legal publishing rights?
    You still need to copyright them before publishing?  That's lame.  I thought this way was the poor man's copyright?  although I have mailed most of my stuff anyway just in case. 

And WHY THE HELL CAN'T WE POST AUDIO FILES???   As long as they are relavant to some writing in some way.   

Do you have any idea how maddening it is to be a DJ and write about music but not be able to prove my point be having them hear what it is I'm talking about???

ATTENTION HUBPAGES!!! 
    This is lame!!!   
    Jaymee the songwriter and Jamie the DJ need you to put up audio files ASAP!!!

Yeah..my name's Jamie too.  Now you know.

HELP THE AUDIOPHILES BY POSTING AUDIO FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  is our campaign slogan!
    Viva le revolution!!    :0)

15. WeddingConsultant profile image65

haha Jamie, I agree- it would be nice to be able to add audio files.  Or maybe a way to play them upon request (since visiting a hub with auto-playing music might be obnoxious!).

In any case, I think gamergirl forgot about this thread as she hasn't posted her hubs yet...

1. DJ Funktual profile image75
      DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Right WeddingC! 
      People shouldn't be forced to hear something they didn't intentionally want to hear but if it proves a point and is tied to the writing piece and people want to hear the music they should be able to. 

Why is video better?
                 That would seem to have a lot more value than these people who just link videos from youtube with no text or comments whatsoever and call it a HUB.

My new one is http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-like-loo … o--be-a-DJ   by the way.   

What I'm just saying?

16. gamergirl profile image84

I didn't forget, I was eating and working. tongue

http://hubpages.com/hub/opaldreamer_dont  Written by me, sung by me on Myspace!

I haven't posted the other song's lyrics on Hubpages yet, though.. *chuckles*  thought I had..

17. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

Charlotte,

Just visited your hub and your MySpace and they are awsome! Loved listening to you sing, too! We aren't too far apart so maybe you can come over next time we have a karaoke pary! We can use all the help we can get LOL.

Bonnie

18. gamergirl profile image84

hahaha!! I'm terrible at karaoke.. guess that'd be the point, though, right?

wink

19. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

LOL Wouldn't matter with this bunch! There is about 50 family members and it is all about FUN!

Bonnie

20. dhoosier profile image54
    dhoosierposted 16 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIPS ON COPY WRITING  ")

21. profile image0
    SirDentposted 16 years ago

One of my songs was recorded by a friend of mine. I am a bass player myself, but not much of a singer. It is downloadable for free at http://www.lulu.com/content/2254636 if anyone might want to download it. There is also a 30 second sample to hear before yuo download it if you want.

22. WeddingConsultant profile image65

Thanks Sirdent- I'll have to check it out

23. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 16 years ago

I'm a singer-songwriter too and just found this brilliant site last night and an still finding my way here! I would love to get some more exposure for my music on Hub Pages too so will see if I can figure out how to post videos.

24. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Just chiming in to add my vote for some kind of audio capsule, maybe mp3 only and with a maximum file-size? Shouldn't be hard.

For one of my Classic Guitar hubs, I uploaded a short wav file of music to my personal website and placed a link to it in the hub. When you click the link, you get the choice of downloading it or opening it in Media Player. Not ideal, it would be far nicer if it was integrated into the page, but still it seems a better option than going off to Myspace or Facebook. At least this way, you don't leave the hub or open up another site. It's just a file download.

Note - I DON'T want music to open automatically on the hub. That's a no-no. But a clickable link or icon is the way to go.

Another problem with having the music on my personal website is that I run the risk of being called for 'over-promotional' if I reference more than 2 items.

If interested, the link is near the end of this hub -

Classic Guitar - an Introduction

25. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

So what do you say HUBPAGES?   The Audiophiles want to know why no audio?

26. LatestDud profile image62

Thanks for all your replies fellow hubbers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)