Grammar and spelling

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (140 posts)
  1. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

I don't know about anyone else but I cannot stand it when you go to read something only to find it riddled with grammar errors and spelling errors.

I'll give on the occasional misspelled word, we all do it once in a while.  However, I absolutely hate it when I can't make sense of what is written. 

Take the below example for instance:

[please i  begin to wonder how people will seat somewhere and device a means of reaping off other people's hard earn properties. i wonder you ever noticed how most of this fraudster carefully launch a campaign to mislead and dupe people. dont they have concience?..... i seat and i look because am confused.]

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what the ol' thumbs down button is all about...

1. mommyfreelancer profile image75
        mommyfreelancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree... many times people do not realize they are making mistakes. To them, their English is fine. Specially if they are in a place where English is not commonly spoken, they might even consider themselves "exceptional" English writers and speakers.

Using the thumbs down button will give them a reality check, which hopefully will result to some improvement.

2. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

THAT is another thing I cannot stand here!  How is it that people who write like that and spell like that can have a high score!?  Don't you think that should count against you?  It's one thing if you do it once in awhile or edit it within a certain period of time but when it is obvious that you don't know you are ignorant then you should not be awarded a high score!  (You should have seen the mess on this one hub about M. Jackson!)
      Oh, it's okay that you are an idiot because you are writing a hub about a "no brainer/don't have to have any imagination to get traffic" topic!  Damn, what is that about anyway?

3. wsp2469 profile image60

THAT is another thing I cannot stand here!  How is it that people who write like that and spell like that can have a high score!?  Don't you think that should count against you?  It's one thing if you do it once in awhile or edit it within a certain period of time but when it is obvious that you don't know you are ignorant then you should not be awarded a high score!  (You should have seen the mess on this one hub about M. Jackson!)
      Oh, it's okay that you are an idiot because you are writing a hub about a "no brainer/don't have to have any imagination to get traffic" topic!  Damn, what is that about anyway?

4. wsp2469 profile image60

5. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well when I read this, I wonder: 1) Is this person from another country? 2)Does this person know how to use spell check? 3)Are they 12?.....ok they can't be 12.

6. jiberish profile image80

I just went tho this person's Hub, and had I known that he was from Malang, Indonesia, I would not had made the remarks I did. And just an after thought, why didn't you post that info in your original question?

7. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL - I did done get greyed 12 but I admit I aren't the best spellar nor gandmur expurt.

Thank goodness for spell check..... but as for grammar I hope my writing is understandable even with a few grammar boo boo's.

All in - Love - Light - Laughter

Neil

2. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

ya i Haet Mispeld wirds on hubs

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i Doo to!

3. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Oh god, for a writer my grammer and spelling really is atrocious.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Bad grammar does bother me a lot too...especially when it's my own smile

5. Chris1|Chris2 profile image61
    Chris1|Chris2posted 14 years ago

It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one who has this pet peeve!
    You can only imagine how embarrassed I become when I actually make this mistake myself :p

6. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I know what you mean. I always find my errors "after" someone else has had time to read it first. Gee...then I go back and fix it.
    I dislike mispelled words and as far as grammar...normally yes, but there are certain phrases or sentences I may use that fits the audience or context of the writing. This will at times be grammatically incorrect.

Ya no whut i meen? lol

7. karpouzian profile image59
    karpouzianposted 14 years ago

Frankly...

I am a sloppy, and lazy spell/grammar checker.  The positive side is that I am a pretty good speller, and my writing tends to be pretty clear unless I am writing something with several apositives, which I tend to do, as you can see, which unfortunately makes my sentences have the tendency of running several pages long.  /sigh

1. euro-pen profile image68
      euro-penposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My mother tongue is German. Almost all German speakers have the bad habit to use looooooooong sentences. It is a real problem for me when writing in English to write in clear, short sentences. This is just so atypical to German writers/speakers smile.

Concerning grammar / spelling errors: I detect most of my (many) errors mainly the day after publishing when I reread the hub during my worktime in the office. However, when I am again at home I have long forgotten the errors and I am usually unable to find them again. This is really a conundrum for me. I hope I do not annoy my readers too much.

1. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah, your stuff looks pretty top-notch to me. I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language. Conversely, you have me who speaks supposed fluent English and took a teensy bit of German in school. I couldn't write a half-decent Hub in German if you were holding a Schuswaffe to my head! Your hubs are about as far as it gets from the crappy grammar being referred to here!

2. wesleycox profile image70
        wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have read a couple of your hubs and I liked them.  Furthermore, I could understand what you were talking about and I could visualize what I was reading.  I haven't fanned you yet but will soon.

8. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Very true Michael, I am talking about writing that is so hard to understand that your eyes cross.

I read a post on here not long ago (which is why I posted this) that confused the heck out of me.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, I definately get your point!

2. beautyrose profile image59
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well can you tell me too if I had bad grammar? I wouldn't know unless I am corrected.

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have read those types of comments and articles, what I have done has tried to assist them with the spelling and grammar because some of the writers are not completely English literate. smile I for one have re-read some of my articles and found a word or two that was wrong or even a run on sentence.lolololo big_smile

9. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

A type-o here or there or a smattering of mistakes among a good amount of nice writing doesn't bug me. BUT, I do find myself somewhat bothered when I see a hub that is riddled w/ misspellings and grammatical errors (especially if this re-occurs in hub after hub by the same author). I do believe that such poor quality "articles" could affect the overall integrity of the site. It does make me snicker when somebody with atrocious hubs grammar/spelling/syntax-wise rants & raves about not making any money. They wonder why others who work hard and take time to minimize such mistakes give them a hard time.

10. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I agree. Hard to understand articles with totally wrong useage of words shouldn't be considered as 'quality' works tongue and same here, peeves me to no end to see writing that don't make sense. hmm

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I love it when people get that angry and arrogant that they triple post big_smile

Thank you, one time is enough to see your point, we are not ALL idiots here lol

1. wsp2469 profile image60

You know that just happened because of something that went wrong between my computer and Windows, right?
      Sorry!
      I'm usually too busy doing real writing so this is a bit new to me.  Please don't hurt me!
      (Well, then again, maybe a few of the lady hubbers could give me a little smack or two on my BUT I digress. . .)

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Sure I know, but you were so serious and self-righteous I couldn't stand the temptation lol

PS Oh, and you can go back and delete a couple of them. Hurry up, this option is available just for few hours. smile

13. Carlos Santo profile image55
    Carlos Santoposted 14 years ago

o wlel i tnhink taht you ralely olny need the frsit and lsat lteter of ehac wrod to be albe to raelsie waht it is manet to sepll.

But hey that could just be me.

1. beautyrose profile image59

I need real answer not a joke!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure he was answering your question? And why not a joke, do you not have a sense of humor?

I need an answer not a joke. How would I know the answer if I have not been answered right?

I was asking about my grammar usage not asking him to crack a joke.

Joke maybe inserted after he has stated at least his answer to my query.

1. Misha profile image63

You have all the rights to need what you need, and he has all the rights to post what he posts.
            However, you don't have a right to receive an answer that satisfies you. And demanding he answers your question does not lead to peace in the forums. smile

I think your interruption is the one causing trouble. You may just ignore us so you wont buy an argument.

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, absolutely, I am the main troublemaker here, not people that feel "entitled" lol

Nothing more to say. I have not even received the right answer. Case closed. Period.

2. Carlos Santo profile image55
        Carlos Santoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I'm sorry I was purely just having some fun. No harm was intended.

2. Neil Sperling profile image59

LOL - I personally enjoy humor and received an email with a complete paragraph showing how easy it is to read something with only the first and last letters where they belong. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, closing the case is beyond your power, too smile

the case of my asking I closed so you stop annoying me.

15. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

Misha, annoy???  NEVER! big_smile (Sorry, couldn't find the "snorting" smiley face) lol

maybe he has not annoyed you. But he annoyed me ok. out of this so you wont buy trouble also.

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whoa, lady, lol...Take a breather, okay?  Of course Misha has annoyed me--I'll imagine he has annoyed EVERYONE at some point or another(no offense, Misha big_smile )?  Where's your sense of humor?

And, also, I don't buy trouble--I get enough of it for free...big_smile

I was not in the mood for any jokes. Jokes can come at the right time all I was asking is about my grammar usage and I a got a response not related to my asking probably he also  don't know well about grammar.Plain and simple.

2. Misha profile image63

LOL TamCor, thank you smile

But you just need to ask my former wife, I can be quite annoying. Not that I was in this case of course. lol

lol--No, not in this case, lol...

Honestly, I think you kinda like playing the devil's advocate around here, don't ya???  Keep it livened up at times? smile

Sorry--getting back to the topic...I think that if some would just be more aware of spellcheck, it would help them tremendously!  I'm talking about people for whom English is their first language, but for those that it isn't, maybe they could have someone proofread for them??

I'm not a devil's advocate. I was just seriously asking and I don't want being ridiculed ok. Its loud and clear. And if you have nothing thing good to say to might as well zip your mouth.

And if annoying is your habit you might as well drop it it doesn't make you gentleman either.

1. Misha profile image63

ROFLMAO

TamCor, how would you like becoming a gentleman? lol

Actually I would have thought we are having a language barrier here. Beauty, where are you from? smile

Still trying to wrap my mind around that, lol...

2. TamCor profile image81

OH,my goodness--You REALLY are in a mood, aren't you?lol

If you'll read the post again, you'll see that I was talking to Misha, not you....

I am NOT a mean person--I DO NOT ridicule.

And, oh, I admit to not being a gentleman, either--but I am a wife and mother, and grandmother...smile

I just thought you were a man looking at your avatar holding a child I did not bother to read your profile anyway. Well good at least I see a CONNIVANCE here. Hope others won't join  in ridiculing me.

1. Misha profile image63

So, saying "excuse me", or "I apologize", or "I am sorry" is against your culture, right? Others are obliged to do this on a slightest sign of your dissatisfaction, but you are not, even for obvious misdirected rudeness. How hypocritical of you. smile

The guy I was talking to Carlos santos has apologize to me already. But here you are not the involved person seems to be the one barking at me. Look at your manners. Have you?

1. Misha profile image63

Keep going girl, keep going. So everybody can see you for what you are. smile

16. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I just want to give this guy a fair shake, since this forum was about his grahmar smile

prasetio30

Even though the spelling is bad, I want to give him credit for the content.

Ok ma'am at least the content is good. Hope he won't feel offended by the comment.

17. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I always right runon sentences with no punctuation with constant mispellings in my unedgeucated high school mind. What in the hell is a comma anyways?

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Terri Schiavo had one, I think.

18. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

What oui knead is a bale-out from Barak. Awfully speling and grahamer ken bee solutioned bye extensions of money infusions. Peoples will have been employed bye this idea two.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol this is like a knew foerm of inglish.

19. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Misha take care! I think she's the alter ego of quietnessandtrust lol

1. Misha profile image63

LOL you scared me yikes

20. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

I was never good at English, and I'm sorry you can't tolerate misspelling and grammar. But I believe that it isn't the spelling and grammar that counts, but the message and the content, that writers try to convey that counts. So feel free not to read my hubs, because they are full of mistakes. I am me, and I am perfect just the way I am, full of mistakes...lol

I agree with you. were just human being and its understandable that people coming from non-English speaking country would oftentimes commit error like that.

2. Neil Sperling profile image59

I like you just the way you are!

1. goodfriendiam profile image60
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

gfiam: does another curtsy to the gentleman on the left....lol... smile thank you that was kind of you. I enjoy being humorous too

3. wsp2469 profile image60

One of the rules here on hubpages is that the hubs be in English.  So we can forget all about any language barriers, second language comments. 
      When someone hands me a check for writing it is my job to make sure my message and content can be understood.  it is part of my job as a writer. 
      Yes.  I have an editor but my editor should not have to do too much work making my actual message understandable.  If my editor has to do that then I am not doing my job as a writer very well.  Therefore, when I am evaluated as a writer I should be evaluated on my grammar, spelling AND content.  A typo here and there is one thing but having a high score when all your hubs look like they've been written by a young child should exclude you from having a high score.
      Yeah.  We are all "perfect" as we are.  Tell that to the women I date!

1. goodfriendiam profile image60
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wsp1269 I'm sorry about your luck really I am. Sounds to me like, your picking the wrong kind of  woman. Maybe its time to give your self a reality check. And ask yourself why your drawn to such said woman. thanks

2. jiberish profile image80

You hired an editor for your Hubs?

1. wsp2469 profile image60

Okay.
          Time to clarify.
          I was making a joke about the women I date.

I should have broken up my response into smaller paragraphs, I guess.
          No.  I did not hire an editor for my hubs.  I have an editor (or editors) for my PAID writing gigs.
          Reread with that thought in mind and my point will be much clearer.
          Regarding the French: Je suis tres intelligente mais je ne parle pas Francais tres bien.
          Wow.  I have not had French since the first year of my first college degree.
          Avec qui est-ce tu te couche ce soir?  Avec moi?
          Okay.  Sorry for the confusion.
          Again, I just feel that if one of the requirements is to write hubs in ENGLISH than a certain portion of your score should be influenced by your mastery or lack thereof. 
          Plus, if you have a PAID gig as a writer and your editor has to correct your work too much that reflects on how well you do your job (in this case writing).  if your pay would be influenced by your performance in a PAID writing gig then grammar and spelling should count to SOME degree when it comes to  your score.
          I don't expect anyone with a score close to 100 to agree with this opinion but there you have it. Now, back to our regularly scdeduled hubs. . .

Hi sir. I don't know your name and I find it hard to call you by the letters since it does not resemble a word. I just came to check you profile and I think your brilliant than others here only that I think you spend less time in hp since as what most of us experience we don't get our bread and butter here but just maybe a way of a hobby.

And I agree on what you have stated  in your profile about the score/s

21. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

Beautyrose...

!. Sorry, I'm not old enough to be your grandma, lol...but that WAS pretty funny...

2. I'm not hiding behind a man's pic in my avatar...that is my 20 year old son, holding hands with his GIRLFRIEND, who is sitting on the steps--I thought it was kind of romantic, so I used it here...

3.  All those quotes I made way up there were things you said to me, not Misha, and yes, they were offensive to me--I personally don't like being told to "zip my mouth".

4.  Sorry you don't like me trying to be a peacemaker--but you can catch more flies with honey, than vinegar...another thing I've told my kids! .smile

1. Misha profile image63

Can I spell it to you again? If you don't like excuse me, you can say "I a-m s-o-r-r-y" smile

22. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Lots of tantrums around here ! lol

1. Misha profile image63

Did not see yours yet wink

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's Sunday.As God said, The Resting Day smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL

Tantrum I'll be sleeping soon. Hope you try to pacify this two people here. They are older than me but acting like a kid. As if I'd grab there candies. When in fact they were the one grabbing mine. Good night hope you will be able to sleep well.

1. Misha profile image63

Please Tantrum, pacify us. With her candies. Or was it candle? smile

2. tantrum profile image61

I can't they are 2 spoiled  lol  Only a joke smile Beautyrose, we're just kidding, don't take it at heart : ) Happy dreams

I have nothing to apologize remember both of you were just interrupting my talk with carlos. You should have realized it first before intruding.

1. Misha profile image63

Yeah, we heard it already. You are the only one who does not need to apologize, no matter what. Keep ruining your reputation, not much left already. smile

23. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 14 years ago

Diese ist nicht solche eine serioese Platz wo ich werde meine Zeit verlohren ueber kleines dinges.

Que clase de forrada es esa. me encanta cuando la gente dice boludeces ! lol

1. profile image0
        Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Est-ce que ca espanol? Que'est que tu veux dire?

Go 2 you french- spanish dictionary

2. profile image0

Was ist das letzes Woert bitte?

I told u , Go to the spanish-french dic. , bitte ! And have a nice Sunday! I'm off 2 the beach Bye !! smile  auf Wiedersehen!!!

2. profile image0

Je pense que ma grammatique allemand besoin de amelieorer

Et votre francais aussi ° lol

1. profile image0

Qui, je sais. Je n'ai pas pratique francaise dans une tres longtemps.

1. jiberish profile image80

Moi, aussi. Je parle de mieux en hongrois.

2. mommyfreelancer profile image75
          mommyfreelancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makikisali lang... di ko kase maintindihan to smile

24. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Можно по английски пожалуйста?

1. profile image0

Proste! Das is sehr gut!

I knew russians were nutters lol

3. profile image0

цензура!

1. Misha profile image63

Временами мне кажется что весь мир уже говорит по русски smile

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL OK, looks like I'm a minority here sad

Have fun smile

haha--Me, too, Misha...thanks for your support, though--even if we aren't related, ha! big_smile

But you're not ! smile

1. Misha profile image63

Not any more smile

I still don't know any Spanish or Deutch though, let alone Francias sad

26. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL You are welcome - yet this was just in return to you support, thank you smile

27. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

What the...??? I left for a few hours to write a hub and also to read beautyrose's hubs and when I got back she is no longer around???? Oh well, I should just give my comments on the "comment" section of her hubs.

Uhhhmmm, as to the topic, I'm fairly tolerant when it comes to wrong spelling, typos and such (I commit them all the time). But wrong grammar is another thing. One or two wrong grammy (as I call them) is fine but if the hub is littered with them, I'll stop reading and just leave. I get enough of those kind of grammar from my students' essays and I don't want to add on to my headache by reading the same thing here smile.

28. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I generally don't make it past page 3 on long forums that I'm late to, but that was amusing.  It's fun to watch someone totally missing the point and getting their dander up so needlessly.

As for the grammar thing, if a point is made well enough, if the voice is engaging enough, the writing will carry the piece.  The less engaging the voice, the more the grammar needs to be solid to prevent distraction.  It's a balance between personality and authority. 

That said, I do prefer people make a good effort at proofreading their stuff.

29. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Wow...such drama under a grammar topic...

As I have said before, it's not the weekend without one drama or another.

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How true. Unfortunately, my weekend is almost over so I'll just say goodnight to everyone. Good night!

30. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

We still have some drama to generate lol

31. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I nearly failed Grammar and Spelling in school.  Why, dyslexia.  So I am extra cautious about my writing.

My pet peeve is reading articles that use no capitalization at the beginning of a sentence.

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're doing great Jane, notwithstanding your dyslexia.

1. profile image0

О'кей, настолько возможно я был немного весьма вчера. Зуб болеет
        перевод я честный хотя I don' t любит обескуражить людей или обидеть людей. То нет как раз моего путя.

1. profile image0

I don't speak Russian can you tell?

2. Misha profile image63

That looks like machine translation lol

1. profile image0

It is, it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Oh well.

1. profile image0

Tous le meme je suis correct.

32. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I'm confused though about some of the insults...isn't beauty rose a man hiding behind the picture of a Disney princess?

33. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I can't tell Susan. All I can see is they just can't admit to own mistakes, period. smile

Oh, and they definitely are a control freak. smile

34. jcales profile image55
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

from the 1st post; that has to be a rewriter tool for someone who is not familiar with English

35. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 14 years ago

Wow, parmi les auteurs amateur qui besoin des auteurs reel? Ils sont tous publi (lol).

Hello to you writer rider what language do you speak? I don't understand. You can say it in English I don't care about your diction and grammar lols.

1. profile image0

Je regrette que beaucoups des diction et des grammeur et des manque d'imagination de beaucoup des auteurs ici qui souhaitent dicter comme on veut ecriver est tres amateur.

36. Uninvited Writer profile image79

The Canadian in me only recognized every other word...but enough smile

1. profile image0

D'accord. Je serai sympathique.

1. profile image0

Я желаю что я имело время scrub мои блоги но мой проект принимает слишком много времени

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, you win... big_smile

no idea what his talking.

2. profile image0

Win what? I wasn't playing a game.

37. profile image49
    Thesis Helpposted 14 years ago

There's always more to learn about grammar - even we English natives think we know everything, but we don't. I reckon I'll be learning till I die.

One thing that especially gets to me is the fact that in British schools, English grammar is not taught. It is assumed that school children know about what is and isn't grammatical - but of course they don't.

Grammar is like long division. The UK's primary and secondary education system almost entirely neglects to teach it!!! This has been my experience, at least.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)