Best Places To Live In Canada

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Best Places To Live In Canada

2. paul_gibsons profile image61
    paul_gibsonsposted 14 years ago

Vancouver (but avoid the "burbs") or the Sunshine Coast and Gibsons if you can put up with a daily 40 min ferry ride to go to work in the Lower Mainland as there isn't much here...

3. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

I have been to Vancouver but it was a very long time ago.  I heard the roads were really bad during high traffic.  I love Seattle so Vancouver BC and Victoria BC are similar in Climate.  Canada is an amazing place to visit in the summer but way too cold for me in the Winter.  We also went up to Banff National Park and it was just stunningly beautiful.  I suppose that if you like and can tolerate the cold that Toronto would be a good city. Someday I might get over there.

4. profile image59
    susan carrposted 14 years ago

The best places to live in Canada are Vancouver and surrounding areas, including Vancouver Island. The City of Vancouver is of unparalled beauty and diversity of culture.  What that really means is - there is something that would appeal to anybody.  There is a reputation however of this location being "rainy" and "expensive" - possibly the only 2 negatives you will likely hear.  However, the positives are too numerous to mention and most visitors come away with that "AH" feeling and plan to return once again.

5. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 14 years ago

Ontario is not bad at all (look at my profile picture lol)

6. point2make profile image61
    point2makeposted 14 years ago

The best places will probably require a visit to eastern Canada.
    The best to live in a rural setting-- The Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia an 80 mile long valley running between Windsor and Digby
    The best place for city living Vancouver or Toronto
    The wild card for something really different and unusual
    Corner Brook , Newfoundland. This small city is located at the head of The Bay of Islands and sits in a spectacular setting. If you like the outdoor life this is the place..

7. needs_a_break profile image60
    needs_a_breakposted 14 years ago

if you want city vancouver is the place but its not to far from the county its only like an hour drive from van to the fraser valley, but Gibsons is amazing as well.... basically BC is the place to be

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Kitchener/Waterloo, On is a good place to live. It is not a huge city and therefore does not have as much crime as some of the bigger cities (but it does have its share). It is big enough to have all the city amenities you need. There are also two very prestigious universities in the area which draw some of the best and brightest minds. Not to mention RIM (inventor of Blackberry) is in Waterloo. I have lived in larger cities and find this to be a nice fit.

9. Rebecca E. profile image78
    Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

Vancouver is a lovely city, with the water close by,  great biking and walking sites.
    Onatario and othere places are also nice.  Enjoyable as well.

10. Rebecca E. profile image78

The top ten cities which you need to see in Canada.  Includes Montreal, Quebec City and Vancouver. read more

11. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

the badlands of Southern Alberta; Peace River Country; Drumheller, Dinosaur Country, The Royal Tyrrell Museum, The Hoodoos, Writing On Stone National Park - a few of the fabulous places to visit in Sunny Alberta read more

12. Rebecca E. profile image78

If you are ever to go to Vancouver in Caanda, here are a few things and places you should know about. read more

13. Merdeego profile image60
    Merdeegoposted 14 years ago

I have never found anywhere in Canada that I did not like and I have been visiting every summer for over 25 years.  I live south of the Mason/Dixon line and don't intend to share your winters.  Thank you----But I'll be back this summer!! ........and again thank you!

14. teendad profile image61
    teendadposted 14 years ago

I always enjoy Quebec, Montreal, and Toronto. If I had to pick one I'd say Montreal. I guess I'm just a city boy.

15. profile image54
    ChrisiMarrposted 14 years ago
  16. Curious Jen profile image61
    Curious Jenposted 14 years ago

This question is nearly impossible to answer.  There are a lot of great places to live in Canada.  From east to west, I would choose the following:
    1. Halifax.  This small town has A LOT to offer.  It has a small town feel but it also has tons of cultural events and beautiful historical sites.  Halifax has great restaurants and great live music.  The real estate is cheap too.
    2. Montreal tied with Quebec City.  Montreal and Quebec City are hip.  These places feel like Europe.  Montreal has a great arts scene and fashion scene.
    3. Ottawa is simply beautiful. It is a major international city within minutes of the wilderness.  Skiing, skating, hiking, etc can be easily done after work.  Ottawa and Vancouver are perfect cities for urbanites that enjoy outdoor activities.
    4.  Toronto.  Say no more.  This is truly an international city.  There are Korean sections, Italian sections, Chinese sections, Greek sections etc, etc.  Toronto, with 4 plus pro sports teams, has something for every one.
    5. Vancouver is likely the best Canadian city.  However, it has very expensive real estate making it beyond the reach of many people.  Vancouver has a great climate and a laid back feel.  People who live in Van stay in Van.

17. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

Been to Vancouver and it's great. I love the weather and the environment. I live in Ottawa now and it's OK. Nice and quiet, great fishing in the summer. I go to Montreal regularly and would not live there. Too hectic. I have lived most of my life in Toronto and would prefer it because of the cultural aspects.

18. kcreery profile image60
    kcreeryposted 14 years ago

Whistler, BC is a great place to live.

"Come for the winter and stay for the summer," is a popular local saying.  I've been here for 8 years and I enjoy it a lot. 

You can ski and snowboard in the winter and mountain bike in the summer.  I can ski out off of Whistler Mountain and end up about 4 houses away from my house.

My commute to work is a 5 minute bike ride when the roads are clear of snow or else it is a 20 minute walk.  A bonus of living here is that there are no malls.  I can drive down to Vancouver an hour and a half away if I need a mall or a big city fix.

19. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

Vulcan Alberta, in the breathtaking Prairies and Badlands of Western Canada, was proclaimed the Official Star Trek(R) Capital of Alberta in early 2010! It is a world all its own in an awesome travel universe. read more

20. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i've lived all over canada in my time and i still think ontario , especially the north is the best place. low crime, clean air and water, friendly people , a great place to raise kids. now if your looking for a fast paced life then run from here, you'd fall asleep.

21. Mercredi profile image62
    Mercrediposted 13 years ago

Kitchener/Waterloo has a robust economy but it is a pretty ugly city. Victoria, Ottawa, Quebec, Halifax feel more metropolitan and are a lot nicer. Anywhere in Newfoundland is good, too.

22. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 13 years ago

To me the best places in Canada to live are:
    (1) Toronto, Ontario
    (2) Montreal, Quebec
    (3) Ottawa, Ontario
    (4) the Canadian side of Niagara Falls

23. Radamel profile image60
    Radamelposted 12 years ago

Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and all the others..

I like everywhere in Canada..

24. NomadsCanada profile image61
    NomadsCanadaposted 8 years ago

Anywhere in the Alberta or BC Rockies. Wages are higher (cost of living can by high in mountain towns, but Alberta doesn't have General Sales Tax) and the strong tourism industry means a lot of fun choices for jobs. Rich in wildlife and adventure/sightseeing activities. Other destinations of interest tend to be but a few hours drive, meaning lots of options for day or weekend trips.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)