How do you reconcile science and God?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

How do you reconcile science and God?

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I really don't waste my time trying to do so.  As a 'believer' in science and the obvious evolution that we have experienced; I personally can not see how any religion can justify logically the dinosaurs, the universe, pre-christ historical events or the religious forums of HubPages.

3. Kelley Harmon profile image60
    Kelley Harmonposted 13 years ago

Science has always just seemed like the "how" to me. I'm not a Christian, so evolution has never been a big issue,  but I've never seen why some people seem to think it's either one or the other. Science or spirituality.

4. terced ojos profile image59
    terced ojosposted 13 years ago

Let's see..evolution= there should be millions of intermediate/transitional species fossils found. None have been.  The few that are "claimed" to be transitional species are woefully suspect.

When asked why there aren't millions of transitional species fossils found scientists typically say things like. "Just because we haven't found them doesn't mean we aren't going to."

Considering the number of species that exist today and those that have gone extinct; if you do the math we should literally be walking over, tripping over, falling into fossils of transitional species fossils.

Man for people who don't believe in God scientist sure have a lot of faith.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the fourth law of thermodynamics states that it takes "energy to create energy;" This is an irrefutable scientific law.

If it takes energy to create energy then um what created the first energy?  The scientist say fanatic things like "um well it just always existed." 

This kind of reasoning sounds like faith to me.

These are but two examples of science flying in the face of its own logic. There are many more. 

People know what they want to know.

5. Glyne profile image60
    Glyneposted 13 years ago

i dont think we should accurately compare the works of science to christianity. there are things science could never explain, and there are also things that christianity havs been questioned. What matters most is that on how you perceive life in general. you are entitled to your belief and it will not hurt anybody since we all have the freedom of choice or "freewill".

If you read your bible, you will understand that everything the bible says is according to how life goes. Christianity is the science of life.

science on the other hand is based on logic - "what you see(prove) is what is true." When you stand for science, you do not believe. because believing is the essence of having faith to what is unseen. When something is proven, there's nothing else to believe unto.

6. Violet Flame profile image66
    Violet Flameposted 13 years ago

Quantum Physics and the new science are bringing science closer and closer to God, to all-encompassing consciousness. A movie called "What The Bleep Do We Know" is a great introduction to this if you are interested. God > Science

7. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

They can't be reconciled by anyone with any intellectual integrity. They are diametrically opposed paradigms, as belief systems. That doesn't mean that one can't spend an entire lifetime ignoring the conflict (or even being unaware of it), but the two are still ultimately irreconcilable.

8. outdoorsguy profile image61
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

its easy for me..  Science or rather math is the language of god in my book.  Ive always believed that some one created it all, set it up to run the way it does and gave us the intelligence " the image of god" to understand and use it as we will.

so to me there is only Knowledge and truth.   and just becuase we cant explain it today doesnt mean we wont be able to in a hundred or even a thousand years from now.

9. profile image0
    El Rayposted 13 years ago

I'm a Christian who grew up with a strong interest in science. The way I see it, its hard to be a true scientist and not come to believe in God. God created the universe and everything in it, including the planets, galaxies, stars, animals, human life and the laws of science. By His wisdom & omniscience, everything God created has an intelligent and very intricate design that points to Him as the Creator.

10. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

Mathematical proof of God's existence.

The school of Pythagoras was every much a religion. Perceived dichotomy between mathematics and religion, though now widespread, is not universal.

11. rachelwroteit profile image60
    rachelwroteitposted 13 years ago

I am a Christian, and I believe that everything was created by God.  Everything Scientific comes from him, he can do everything and does.

12. profile image57
    leenewellposted 13 years ago

i recently read Derren Brown's Trick of the MInd book in which he dedicates several pages to how scientific thinking turned him from a christian to a non-christian

13. you suggest one profile image61
    you suggest oneposted 13 years ago

why do we have to reconcile these two things,just live with them both,all aspects of both subjects serve a purpose at some time,but the best way if they must be reconciled is just to thank GOD for SCIENCE. AMEN.

14. Ladybythelake55 profile image60
    Ladybythelake55posted 13 years ago

I  don't believe in science or evolution I go by the written Word of  God and that is the only thing I recognize.

15. Dave Barnett profile image57
    Dave Barnettposted 13 years ago

If science is man seeking truth in nature and spirituality is man seeking truth in God, then they should agree. I believe that they do, and it is our inability to perceive this that causes people to think that they don't. We know nothing of the amount of time that is covered by the traditional, biblical story. What is a day, to God? Mankind is even now a Work-In-Progress, ours is a story of change, a word synonomous with evolution. We evolve. God evolves. I believe that Einstein evidenced God with his famous equation, with E= God, and MC2 is creation. God doesn't exclude my belief in science, nor does science exclude my belief in God. Can't figure out why everyone is arguing about it.

16. BumptiousQ profile image62
    BumptiousQposted 13 years ago

In my view, our universe is a living universe (one of a perhaps infinite number of universes).  The whole kit 'n kaboodle is an organism that sprang from an Infinite Intelligence beyond the ability of religion or science to fully grasp.  Now how's THAT for dissing both sides of the status quo in one fell swoop?!

Fact is, people are going to believe whatever makes them feel better\right\secure, etc..  My best option is to focus on my own spiritual evolution -- oh my god, I used the words 'spiritual' and 'evolution' right next to each other!

17. michaelmalyon profile image54
    michaelmalyonposted 13 years ago

True science and religion should not contradict each other. Here's why. Science is anything that is observable, measurable... Evolution is not. It's a theory. Within the field of evolution are numerous conflicting facts, theories and beliefs. The bible contains in Genesis three the full applied theory of Maslow's work, used by satan. There are super natural powers who understand us better than we know ourselves

18. Ann Lee profile image61
    Ann Leeposted 13 years ago

Science (from Latin: scientia, meaning "knowledge".

The root-meaning of the name God: The common name most widely used in Semitic occurs as 'el in Hebrew, 'ilu in Babylonian, 'ilah in Arabic, etc.; and though scholars are not agreed on the point, the root-meaning most probably is "the strong or mighty one."

"The strong or mighty one"  has all knowledge. I see no conflict.

19. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

Yo have to level the playing field and get "god" to stop violating the laws of science.

20. jqmurf2 profile image60
    jqmurf2posted 13 years ago

I have never understood why the two had to be separated.  God started the whole thing using natural law and physics in order to provide a baseline (or whatever other reason God uses).  Just because we can prove how atoms move about does not preclude the idea that a Creator came up with that movement.  I don't see how anyone can look around at the wonders of the world and the universe and think it is all just a huge cosmic error.  There is clearly intelligence in the design. 

To me, intelligent design makes a heck of a lot more sense than "in the beginning, there was nothing...which exploded."

21. lsr03 profile image60
    lsr03posted 13 years ago

I don't see why it is necessary that we find a reconciliation between the two.  I really don't even see why there necessarily needs to be a rift between the two either.  Religion is a very personal experience.  It affects the way we live our lives and the decisions we make, as does science.  Religion on the one hand is a choice, a choice we make about our beliefs.  Science for the most part, involves much less of this choice.  Gravity for an example, we do not choose to be affected by it, we just are.  Why can it not be said that there are just some things that we are not meant to understand, that we may never understand.  I would never claim to KNOW that God exists, whether I believe it or not.  I would never claim to KNOW anything about God actually, for if he does exist, it is certainly outside of our capacity to understand.  The same goes for me with Science.  I realize that there are many things concerning Science which I can understand, through reasoning & logic, yet there seems to always be a beginning that can never be understood.  This is where I simply accept that it just is.  If I spent all of my time worrying about where the Universe came from, or where energy came from in the beginning, I would spend my entire life wondering what to believe, rather than just living.

I choose to believe what I believe, and let others do the same.  I am affected by the laws of Science whether I like it or not, as are others.  Science is not necessary, and never will be, to explain religion; and vice-versa.  It is an age-old question that will most likely never have an answer that will satisfy the majority. 

What we should be focused on, rather than reconciling science with religion, is learning how to live peacefully with all religions.  There is far to much war & violence in the name of God.  I am not sure why anyone would want to follow a leader that focuses on forcing others to believe the same as they do.  Perhaps we simply need to adjust our point of view so that Religion takes on a more personal role.  Perhaps in doing so we will find that Religion and Science really don't conflict as much as we though, they are simply completely different parts of our lives.

22. Nevada Logan profile image60
    Nevada Loganposted 13 years ago

I don't know!  I certainly think there has to be someone or something out there that created all of this. Just sit back and take a deep look at everything around us. To me there has to be a creator of all of this. If that is God then that's my choice. Science, well not everything is perfect there either.

23. michaelway profile image59
    michaelwayposted 13 years ago

You can't reconcile science and God - one is fact and the other is fiction

24. chan0512 profile image78
    chan0512posted 13 years ago

For me, I don't try to reconcile between science and god. It is not the most important things to understand complex things. It is better to use my time to do other activities. The most important thing for me is to live my life to the fullest. Be nice and don't do harm others and try to observe my mind through meditation.

25. Somesh Dutt profile image61
    Somesh Duttposted 13 years ago

Both are like two parallel tracks which meet at some point and then diverge again... because science is logic explained whereas there are many phenomenon in the world which even science has not been able to explain.
    Hence reconciling both science & God may not be possible always!

26. JasonFonceca profile image61
    JasonFoncecaposted 13 years ago

I whole-heartedly second BumptiousQ! Rock on man! Thank you so much saying that. SpiritEvolution owns.

I refer the science-oriented folks to read Fritjof Capra's book, The Web Of Life.

I refer the religion-oriented folks to read Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch.

27. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

in the old days when i was a youngster and christian, i believed god guided evolution, used it to create us. in genesis 1, who knows how long god's day was? there's even a bible verse saying something about a day being as a thousand years. so why not a few million years?

i love apostle paul's saying, "now we see through a glass darkly. then we shall see face to face." he puts a big "we're open to new explanations and rules" on the whole bible with this verse.

i'm different now. science is, god isn't. or at least god isn't described by any religion i know of. an indifferent universe is a hard thing to get your head around given how good we've got it in the US. seems like somebody up there likes us. i attended a twelve-step group for a while. i used the love and wisdom available in the universe as my HP.

whenever i see a sign that says, "god bless the USA.",i want to write beneath it, "god has blessed us. what are we doing for him?"

28. Faith Walking profile image69
    Faith Walkingposted 13 years ago

So much to say, it would take up too much room. It all sums up tp this: science proves God - scriptural references to dinosaurs, the earth, the sky - its all in the bible. Visit drdino.com and you will find lots of resources and articles. free videos and debated coverings science as well. That is the main purpose of creation science evangelism. This site will strengthen your faith when unsure and also provide a resource for others that are confused regarding this topic, or for those that try to say that evolution disproves God.

29. bhagwad profile image60
    bhagwadposted 13 years ago

Once we believe in what we see, the concept of a god becomes more and more senseless.

The presence of a god raises far more questions than it answers. Personally, I think the true explanation for everything is too large for us to grasp.

Suppose the big bang was actually a big sneeze, and our universe is just one of the droplets!? Forget about ever finding out about the "truth" of the big picture smile

30. Mrs.King profile image60
    Mrs.Kingposted 13 years ago

I am a Christian yet science is intriguing.  I believe in Creation but I also believe that God gave us the knowledge to use to advance.  I have not made up my mind on if we could be the only beings in existence.  I am not knowledgeable enough of the Bible to answer that.  I do not feel that it is a sin or blasphemy to believe in both.  In my heart I know that God is there and I have total faith in him.

31. Galadriel Arwen profile image68
    Galadriel Arwenposted 13 years ago

Easy, God made us and decided we needed to ponder Science. We do. Everything is as it should be. :-)

32. writerpro profile image61
    writerproposted 13 years ago

No one yet as disproven the existence of God with real science.  An evolutionist CANNOT prove the theory and, frankly, displays far more faith in pure unproven, unfactual opinions than the the faith it takes to believe that there is a God capable of creating a diverse world.  For anyone actually interested in fact vs opinion/theory, that person will know that even Darwin himself before his death publicly denounced his own evolutionary theory. 

This does not have to become a 'religious' debate.  If nothing else, an evolutionist if true to him/herself would have to be an agnostic, meaning - don't know if God exists.  On mere conjecture of the hocus pocus that goes with evolution, though, that person simply cannot prove there isn't a God and to try to do so simply shows complete ignorance, not intelligence.

33. vrbmft profile image73
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

I never knew there was anything to reconcile.  Check out "What the Bleep Do We Know?"  A great and provocative and informative film.  If a scientist insists that there is no proof for God, then I think he is caught up in that which is non scientific.  If the head of a religious denomination insists that science has no place, then he is anything but inspired.  There are all kinds of mysteries in science and all kinds of mysteries in God, call God, the big Scientist in the sky, with the capital S.  So many things we do not have evidence of in science, but we follow the "trail" of evidence.  So many things we do not have proof of with respect to God, but we follow the "trail" of evidence.  I never got or understood the conflict.  Narcissistic on both parts, the religious zealot and the scientific zealot.  A good scientist is open, intuitive, imaginative, a dreamer.  A good theologian is open, intuiitive, imaginative, a dreamer.  God, I can't believe how this wall is solid because in reality it has huge gaps in it.  God, I can't believe there's a God who created this "entire" universe with such complexity that we will never discover the outer limits of infinity.  God, I cannot understand my wife.  She is the biggest mystery of all and defies science.  Who says two and two cannot equal five.  Prove it.  Know, I mean, really prove it, because my wife makes it add up to five ALL THE TIME.

34. profile image0
    Always Greenerposted 13 years ago

Science is based on factual evidence, research and analysis, which is then documented for all to see.

Religion is...well...

35. handsomeface profile image61
    handsomefaceposted 13 years ago

Science proves that God exists!
    The theory of evolution and other theories all point to the existence of an intelligent Creator.But men distorts the truth(science) because they cannot afford to believe that God exists.

36. spkanu profile image60
    spkanuposted 13 years ago

I believe and know through miracles that God exists. I know that through the beauty and ugliness of the world that the Bible talks about. Science is a way to understand the workings of God. Because our minds are limited, it's going to be difficult to understand the whole picture. If you don't believe in God, look at the few good men or men working to reach a righteous level and then look at the many evil men out there who are just living the predictions of the Bible. "Men will be lovers of self than of God."

37. Toxinfree profile image60
    Toxinfreeposted 13 years ago

There is nothing to reconcile. 'Religions' are based on different perspectives of the same thing as is most 'science'.

Science does it's best to be perceived as fact, but is in usually based on 'assumptions', 'conclusions' or 'a very good guess'.

The different religions, when one looks into them, are variations of the same message but that message is 'heard' differently by different people dependent on their perspective.

Quantum physics as seen in the movie 'What the Bleep' comes closest to proving the intelligence that is referred to as God, The Creator, The Universal Intelligence or whatever we decided to call it.

It exists. There is no need for reconciliation, only our own understanding.

38. angel115707 profile image61
    angel115707posted 13 years ago

This same question has been on my homepage for days! OH, there is no reconciling God and science, they are not fighting! It's men who fight both science and God, its men who need to be reconciled to God and quit acting as if this science, which they no so  little of, far less than ancient civilizations knew.... is making them know it all's, they look like idiots and I can believe a man does come from a monkey...when he thinks it of himself....In truth God is the creator of both science and man. Science is beautiful, full of life. Biology is my favorite!! Men...they abuse what they do not respect or understand and just as they crucified Christ so they abuse, and degrade science and turn it into an ugly and foul entity which in fact it is not...... it is men who need reconciling....we have utterly lost our way.....

39. Ruchira profile image72
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

God is within all living creatures. We just don't have the time to search within us. Accommodating Science within ourselves has been relatively easy since it was discovered by man in the first place and secondly we use it everyday.

40. catsimmons profile image83
    catsimmonsposted 12 years ago

If you were to ask me if I believe in God I would have to say, that depends what you mean by God.
    I don't believe in a personal God that listens to you every word, but rather an essence of God that is everything ..a Godlike intelligence that runs through us all and is part of us all.
    From this point of view there is nothing to reconcile science and God are the same thing, science is just trying to explain it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)