Does 'dinner' mean lunch, or supper?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

Does 'dinner' mean lunch, or supper?

I've always took it to mean supper, but I'm finding out that some people take it to mean lunch.

2. profile image0
    Love learningposted 13 years ago

I would have thought that it means supper.  Cause lunch is midday snack.

3. TheJman profile image60
    TheJmanposted 13 years ago

Where I'm from, dinner means supper! I'm pretty it has a universal meaning

4. Granny's House profile image62
    Granny's Houseposted 13 years ago

Farmers and some other workers call lunch dinner because this is when they have their big meal. Dinner as we call it is supper to them. That is because farmers get done late and most times eat what ever left overs there was from dinner (lunch)

5. bearnmom profile image66
    bearnmomposted 13 years ago

Dinner to me as I was growing up meant a midday meal.  We ate Dinner on Sundays around noon.  On weekdays we ate breakfast in the mornings, lunch around noon and supper as the evening meal.  We only ate Dinner on Sunday which made it a special meal usually on the dining room table.

6. Loveslove profile image61
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

When I was a child we had dinner at 12 noon and tea at about 5 pm

When i grew up I was told that dinner became lunch if you ate a meal in the evening..so...

if you eat a snack at lunchtime and eat a cooked meal in the evening that is Dinner !!
    If you eat a cooked meal at lunchtime and have tea  then irs dinner at lunch time....Clear as mud .

in a nutshell in our house its...

BREAKFAST
    LUNCH
    DINNER

7. profile image56
    rieomposted 13 years ago

Where I live dinner means supper, the evening meal.

8. njgirl1999 profile image56
    njgirl1999posted 13 years ago

supper........ lunch is to eat in the afternoon

9. Angelsun profile image52
    Angelsunposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, "dinner" means big meal in formal places. It can be refered to Lunch and also also can be refered to supper.

10. Ruchira profile image73
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

Dinner is usually defined as "The Main Meal" of the day which scientifically should be during the day so that we move around and are able to digest the food that we consume. So, Lunch should be like our Dinner and in the evening we should consume less.

As a saying goes...Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

11. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Where I live it's generally, "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" as far as the three meals in a day go.  "Supper" is more something people have in a large group (as in "spaghetti supper" at a church).  Supper is generally an informal meal.  People around here used to (I think) call a meal between - like - 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. as "supper", and meals later than that "dinner".  They used to also call a meal "supper" if it were after 4 p.m. but in the kitchen, as opposed to in the dining room.

People where I live don't call lunch "dinner".  When my mother would be feeding any baby she'd tend to refer to meal (when talking to the baby) as "your dinner".  I guess she thought it simplified language for a baby.  If it came in a bowl and was on the high chair tray - she'd call it "dinner" for the baby.   smile

12. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

Think this depends on where exactly you come from.
    Where I come from, northwest England; I start the day with breakfast when I get up; I have my dinner between 12 noon and 1 pm; I have my tea between 5 and 6 pm and supper around 9.30pm.

1. profile image50
      kiefamyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not good for your metabolism to eat after 8:00 p.m.

13. Jaymeyaroch profile image60
    Jaymeyarochposted 13 years ago

It is actually neither.  Dinner was what one had before evening tea, between lunch and supper.  Dinner was a meal that consisted of fats and carbohydrates with proteins that needed to be digested before bed time so that the people could maintain healthy lifestyles.  Proteins take several hours to digest.  Your body enters a rest state when you sleep that makes digesting a lot of food difficult.  Remember that portions back then for any meal would be smaller than what we feed our ten-year-olds today.

Supper was a light meal with cooked vegetables and often a broth or soup (hence the name) and this would be to aid in the digestion of the previous dinner.

Lunch in many places is merely a snack, and breakfast is a large meal containing everything Americans would normally have for dinner (meat, carb, veggies, fruit, occasionally ale or wine).  Lunch was designed to carry you over to dinner, which came at the end of the work day.

The use of a dinner faded when technology advanced, from industry to crop growing techniques, and most societies developed a three meal, rather than a four meal, day.

The best caricature of dinner is expressed by J.R.R. Tolkien's hobbits.

14. karenfreemansmith profile image59
    karenfreemansmithposted 13 years ago

In my dad's family it means lunch.  In my mom's family it means supper.  I've come to the conclusion that dinner is like brunch... the meal between lunch (noon) and supper (night). So I guess it's an afternoon snack for those that follow the advice to eat 5-6 small meals a day.

15. rlleon42 profile image80
    rlleon42posted 13 years ago

Dinner means.....dinner. Supper, is dinner, lunch is lunch, and dinner is dinner.   At least for my generation, we'd never use "supper". My parents use that word, my grandparents use that word, but its not too common to hear from the younger crowd.

16. Xavier Izaguirre profile image60
    Xavier Izaguirreposted 13 years ago

Just a quick add

Spanish have luch as their big meal, hence the siesta, crazy I know ( I am one smile

17. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 13 years ago

In my world, lunch is lunch.  Supper is a casual evening meal at home or at an ordinary restuarant.  It becomes upscaled to dinner when the meal is a little fancier at home with maybe a candle burning or something to differentiate it from supper or eating out at a somewhat more than ordinary restaurant.

18. RunescapePro profile image60
    RunescapeProposted 13 years ago

I've only heard "dinner" to mean supper.

19. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

In the south Dinner is lunch, in most places.  But actually in my house we use the word interchangably, sometimes we say lunch and sometimes we say dinner.  Supper is always the evening meal, and Breakfast the morning meal. But midday meal is either lunch or dinner, it is usually dinner at home or while eating out but lunch when refering to midday meal at work.

20. AngusNz profile image59
    AngusNzposted 13 years ago

I always see dinner as meaning the main meal of the day, on a saturday at lunch time (midday), "what's for dinner". Or after school or work you come home to supper and again "what's for dinner" (to be cooked that is, not assuming somebody should do it for you but mom always did). And so dinner is a general term for main meal. you can have a light lunch or supper but a dinner is BIIIIGGG.

21. profile image49
    rameshmedaposted 13 years ago

Ruchira says

Dinner is usually defined as "The Main Meal" of the day which scientifically should be during the day so that we move around and are able to digest the food that we consume. So, Lunch should be like our Dinner and in the evening we should consume less.

As a saying goes...Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

22. Scribenet profile image61
    Scribenetposted 13 years ago

I am with the dinner is "supper" crowd. Being from Canada, that may be a regional thing. However, we NEVER invited anyone for supper...that was for family...more informal. Dinner was for guests...like,"I am inviting you over for dinner". Lunch was always lunch...even if eating out formally...it is always still lunch!

It is interesting what variety of answers this question has!

23. profile image0
    esatchelposted 13 years ago

I grew up in Chicago (breakfast, lunch, dinner) but hail from Appalachian Kentucky (breakfast, dinner, supper). Of course, with the Americanization of America, lunch/dinner and dinner/supper is not quite so geographically clear anymore. If you say "supper", I know you mean the evening meal, if you say "lunch", I know you mean the midday meal. If you say dinner and you are from south of the Ohio River, I ask "what time?" Ann :^}

24. John MacNab profile image77
    John MacNabposted 13 years ago

Where I grew up there was no such thing as lunch.  Dinner was when my Father came home from the pit so I suppose it would be supper in today's meaning.

25. Esmeowl12 profile image69
    Esmeowl12posted 13 years ago

To me, dinner is supper, but I have heard people in the South refer to "dinner" as lunch.

26. TomC35 profile image60
    TomC35posted 13 years ago

Dinner is a formal name for lunch.  Supper is the evening meal, while dinner is the daytime meal.

27. Felynx profile image60
    Felynxposted 13 years ago

To people born close to the earlier 20th century, dinner meant lunch, but to most born later, dinner means supper.

28. remaniki profile image78
    remanikiposted 13 years ago

In my opinion  it is normally breakfast, lunch and either supper or dinner, supper being an earlier and lighter dinner.

29. profile image52
    julielee125posted 13 years ago

Supper.  Lunch is middle of the day, dinner is generally considered the later meal of the day.  I have heard people refer to a snack as a supper however.

30. Jaynie2000 profile image84
    Jaynie2000posted 12 years ago

At our house it's always meant supper. Lunch is lunch.

31. profile image50
    kiefamyposted 11 years ago

This is all very confusing - everyone seems to use the terms differently.  I just wanted to tell my grandfather I was coming over for "dinner" (as we call the meal you eat around 6 or 7 p.m., and being Canadian, 93 years old and having dementia, he kept asking me if I was coming over for dinner or supper.  So, I told him I would be at  his house around 6:00, and he concluded that was supper.

32. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

dinner means the last meal of the day at 7pm. Supper will be 12am, usually ramen noodles soup !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)