How would coming into a large sum of money change you?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. brightforyou profile image80
    brightforyouposted 13 years ago

How would coming into a large sum of money change you?

2. fibo777 profile image60
    fibo777posted 13 years ago

It is difficult to say before it happens. I would not want it to come too suddenly. It would be better if it came in pieces.
    I think it would change my exterior life, not interior. I hope so.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

Well for one I would be pretty much stress free. To not have to worry about how high is the next gas bill or electric bill going to be would be wonderful. Now if you are talking really large sum I would hope that it would not change me too much. I have never been one to want a lot in life and would probably give much of it away to family members in need or to charities.

4. profile image59
    rieomposted 13 years ago

For me, it would relive stress.  It would also let me quit work and write more which is a big enjoyment in my life.  It would let me hire some one to clean my house.  I know this is all me, me, me but I would need to get my life in order and then concentrating on helping family members.

5. akuigla profile image61
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

There are few people I care about.
    Would buy them a few things I cant now.
    Than will make all libraries free in my country with free internet.
    Than will buy Tibet from chinese and give it back to tibetan people.
    Than will set up foundation for bright, but poor kids to have free education.
    See, Im a huge fan of education.
    I agree with Budha that the root of all suffering is ignorance.

6. poorconservative1 profile image60
    poorconservative1posted 13 years ago

In a situation like that you just trade one set of problems for another. But ya know, I think that it would be nice to have different problems. Well, at least for a while.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

It would depend on how you handle it.
    An inheritance or a successful real estate sale could be wonderful in easing financial stress or in allowing you to travel or purchase things that weren't feasible before. A large sum can disappear quickly  too, so it is smart to invest a portion for continued growth and security.   Winning a  large lottery sum or other winnings can bring a lot of problems and unhappiness. Friends and relatives may want a hand-out then get angry if you say no. Will new friends like you for who you are or will it be for what you can provide in a material way?
    Wealth is measured in many ways, but money alone is transient.
    Enjoy the gift, be thankful everyday, be charitable, and remember that money is not the most important of things.
    Be happy.

8. mikielikie profile image60
    mikielikieposted 13 years ago

I'd just go! GO! GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Get out of this place and tell nobody. Who needs 'em. Then I'd send money  from different places to all of my loved ones so they'd know that I'm still alive but I don't wanna be bothered. I love you guys...until I'm rich.

9. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

I would have achieved TOTAL freedom. I'd go on holiday every couple months, send my niece to drama school, open my own school, pay off ALL of my bills, start my own charity and then invest the rest... Wow what an amazing feeling to even just visualise this!

10. Fossillady profile image95
    Fossilladyposted 13 years ago

A large sum of money I would welcome because I would be able to help out a lot of people. I have specific people in mind, this is not something that I haven't thought about before, and recently.
    In practicality, I would have less worries and feel free and empowered to create what I so desire my life to be. On the other hand, it could take from me the innocence of my struggles. I may become skeptical of other's intentions towards me and that is an unpleasant thought. Like anything else in this life, it would be another avenue for growth, the implications are endless. Would it change who I am deep inside? Never, I am who I am, we all are who we are and create who we want to be.

11. bman3725 profile image60
    bman3725posted 13 years ago

For me it would change the way i go about everyday activities. It would change they way my kids are taken care of especially when it comes to taking care of my oldest daughter who has health issues associated to her spinal fusion surgery, also i could be here with them more oh and i so wouldn't have to worry about their college education. Guess money changes you personally though only if you let it. But for me it would only change the future here and not me personally.

12. IN2Deep profile image67
    IN2Deepposted 13 years ago

Very good question-   I have a wonderful family-and I Love my home and garden- I have a car I really enjoy -So haveing all of my priorities-- or the most important To me- I would invest withinin what I already have -like a  vacation with my family-maybe hire a person to do my least favorite yard work(weedwacking) maybe put in a bigger Koi pond-pay off my car-who knows-I guess I would figure it out-IF I ever actually had the Large Sum come my way. I Try to focus on what I have****not  on what I don't have.

13. thejovial profile image60
    thejovialposted 13 years ago

Since I am already good with handling my money, it would become an extra security blanket. Maybe find a high yield interest account or ladder some CDs. Living off interest would be awesome. Take a lot more trips for rock climbing too.

14. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

It depends on how large the sum is. The larger the sum the busier I would get! I would re-locate myself to be within close proximity of the needy.

Eliminating poverty, free medical facilities, and free education would be given top priority.

So ... would you like to know where to send my check? smile

15. Zanerus profile image60
    Zanerusposted 13 years ago

Large sum? I'd have it gone in a week or so, mostly to get the hell out Dodge(not where I live but oh well) and just take a vacation from the world. If the sum is so large I can't blow it all, AFTER I go crazy for a tiny bit I'll save the rest, buy a modest house, and make sure my bills are low.

16. lorddraven2000 profile image91
    lorddraven2000posted 13 years ago

To a degree I would be happier because I could help out my friends and family, but it would prolly depress me. I am not a big fan of having to much money just because I always feel guilty when I spend it on myself.

17. kannaji profile image60
    kannajiposted 13 years ago

First of all, getting money overnight is a big and a sweet wonderful dream.But,i think it is possible only in the long run.
    Then this shouldn't effect  our personality,may be it helps to get rid of number of problems but this shouldn't get a change in your actual personality.Money shouldn't rule us after all,we are human beings....

18. profile image0
    GermanDelightposted 13 years ago

I would probably relax more and travel a lot.

19. RonnieHats profile image58
    RonnieHatsposted 13 years ago

A large sum of money would not change ME. It would change the things done in my daily life. Rather than focusing on helping myself I could focus more on helping others.

20. dablufox profile image57
    dablufoxposted 13 years ago

Most people can't manage 50 cents let alone 50 million.

I have become adept at making money, not because I wan't a flash house, expensive car, jewelry or anything like that but rather I readily accept the 'responsibility' of managing money and redistributing it, from people that are irresponsible (buy useless crap) to those who use it more wisely, (help other people).

If I came into a large sum of money my job would instantly become that much more complicated and a hell of a lot more work.

The funny thing about money is that the vast majority of people want more, no matter how much they have.

What most don't realize is that money can be a real curse especially if you let it become your master instead of mastering it.

To answer your question, it would not change me at all.

I would still drive the same car, still live in my poky unit. The only thing I would do that I haven't done is set up businesses abroad so that less fortunate people can have a job making stuff westerners commonly take for granted.

21. starlight090603 profile image60
    starlight090603posted 13 years ago

I would pay off my bills and take a day off!! I'd start with the dreaded hospital bills first, then the school loans . . .

Hopefully I'd be more relaxed and carefree . . . I can only hope.

22. smanty profile image60
    smantyposted 13 years ago

Coming into a large sum of money, lets say $500,000, will not change me much. I am actually very content with my lifestyle right now, and if I were to come into money I may buy a better television, a better computer, a better sound system, and a couple of other things, but will put about 95% in my savings account to earn interest.

23. carterlewis03 profile image54
    carterlewis03posted 13 years ago

it would change my intentions opt towards equity release. But i might stay with equity release. I just found this personable attempt to help me realize equity and it's importance. Any other nonagenarian may see it. here is the link
    http://ardeshircowasjee.blogspot.com/p/ … ation.html

24. vashal profile image60
    vashalposted 13 years ago

I'd retire early, which would be a great change. I'm quite diligent in paying off my debts and saving up for retirement. So any money I come into goes toward my retirement at this point. I'd love to have enough that I could live off the interest, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. Instead, I put as much as I can towards retirement.

25. marketingskeptic profile image68
    marketingskepticposted 13 years ago

To be honest, I don't think I'd change much. I'm essentially a pretty lazy person at heart and my life revolves around eating, sleeping, and reading. I'm sure I can do all those things just as efficiently with a large sum of money or without. Though, I guess if I was suddenly handed a large sum of money I would probably raid Barnes and Nobles and buy a ton of books, but hey...libraries work too. So I doubt I'd change much. =]

26. montecristo profile image75
    montecristoposted 13 years ago

It would change me in the fact of responsability. I, for one, consider myself a God-fearing person and if I had 1 million or so dollars, I would be careful how I would spend it. Also, I would only keep it between my wife and I. Nobody would need to know I am rich.
              In the past, I had thousands of dollars pass my hands and have not used proper judgement. Mind you, I am not rich, but I am comfortable. I have learned that when you have money, you need to use wisdom on how to spend it. To whom much is given, much is required.

27. meow48 profile image66
    meow48posted 13 years ago

fun question... bill free, be able to breath and do what i really want to do instead of what i have to do.... of course, unfortunately, with all that money would come a larger responsibility.... and i would have to remember that the tax man cometh... oh well, it was a great fantasy while it lasted... hee.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)