Do you manipulate others into doing what you want?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Jangaplanet profile image60
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

Do you manipulate others into doing what you want?

2. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 13 years ago

No. I'll do it myself before trying to manipulate others to do something.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

No.  Manipulative and controlling behavior is often a sign that the person guilty of that behavior has a personality disorder.  Even if the person's behavior isn't extreme enough to fall into the "personality disorder" category, manipulative behavior is a sign of poor interpersonal skills, lack of character, and/or any number of other undesirable traits in a human being.

People who engage in manipulative behavior don't have healthy relationships, don't make good friends, and usually end up not having any genuine, long-term, friends.  They're not likable.  They're seen as "sneaky" and under-handed.  Even if they manage to get someone to do whatever it is they want, that person usually won't stay around for too long.

One way or another (and whether it's with family, friends, co-workers, or anyone else), people who use manipulative behavior end up being losers (and lots of times, they never even figure out why).

4. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

nope, because that's naughty.
    ok, maybe to a few people smile

5. selene383 profile image59
    selene383posted 13 years ago

In all honesty i dont like to but when it comes down to it i have caught myself a couple times. i do when i have to.

6. kallini2010 profile image79
    kallini2010posted 13 years ago

I strongly disagree with Lisa HW.  Manipulative and controlling behaviour is not a sign of a personality disorder.  Manipulative people are not losers.

First and foremost manipulators are children, they learn how to use "their" power to get what they want.  They are excellent judge of character and they will adjust their behaviour according to the person they deal with.  Mom, Dad, grandpa, grandma - all people are different and the child knows "how to play each character".  It only shows how clever, observant, adaptive children are.  They don't yet have the advantage of brute force and power.  Like women, they use their weaknesses to their advantage.  Children manipulate using instinct and intelligence, the best tools.

Politicians?  Do they all have personality disorders?  I don't think so.  That is the height of manipulative behaviour.  Do they get what they want?

Advertising?  You have been "manipulated" into buying "Gucci" or "Guess" or God knows what.  Do advertisers all have personality disorders?

It is simply human nature to manipulate and, yes, we all do it.  Consciously or subconsciously.

"The feeling of having no power over people and events is generally unbearable to us - when we feel helpless we feel miserable.  No one want less power; everyone wants more.  In the world today, however, it is dangerous to seem to be power hungry, to be overt with power moves.  We have to seem fair and decent.  So we need to be subtle - congenial yet cunning, democratic, yet devious.

[...]

Everything must appear civilized, decent, democratic, and fair.  But if we play by those rules too strictly, if we take them too literally, we are crushed by those around us who are not so foolish.  As the great Renaissance diplomat and courtier Niccolo Machiavelli wrote, "Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good."

[..]  The game is still the same." Robert Greene "48 Laws of Power"

Are manipulative people likable?  You bet.  How about the special category of manipulative people - charismatic leaders?  Pick your favourite person who has a lot of charisma and think how manipulative that person is (was).  Knowing people is the toughest subject.  Psychology and sociology still do not have all the answers.  I doubt that the science will ever succeed in dissecting human nature completely...

7. profile image0
    lovazaposted 13 years ago

I don't like manipulative people, nor do I manipulate people because it's not going to  make them do what I want in the first place.  It's like putting on this facade but not being true to yourself and to the other person.

8. 6hotfingers3 profile image60
    6hotfingers3posted 13 years ago

There was a time in my life when I did attempt to manipulate people into doing what I wanted them to do. Now I know that was not only deceitful, it was the reason for my feelings of guilt when all was said and done. Now, I will present my strongest  reasons for doing it my way, if they agree with me, good. If they fail to understand the situation from the perspective I'm attempting to share, so be it! I sleep better now.

9. Keith Worth profile image61
    Keith Worthposted 13 years ago

I'm focused into manipulating myself to get what I want, being a chronic procrastinator with motivation issues can make getting anything done.

Ironically, I love to stay busy and be productive, I just can't get myself to focus on any one particular task when I need to.

As far as manipulating other people: no, no and no. Learned that lesson in high school, it's just a cheap form of dishonesty and cowardice. If you need something that you can't do, ask for it directly and be willing to negotiate.

10. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

Never! I figure if I have to resort to manipulation or trickery, I risk the possibility of it not being done properly.

11. safiq ali patel profile image66
    safiq ali patelposted 13 years ago

No I do my best into not manipulating people into doing what I want. I am a mere mortal. God is the almighty. I leaving people and power to god rather than beliveing that people are there for me to get what I want out of them.

12. CARIBQUEEN profile image62
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

Not at all!  I try to do unto others what I would like be done unto me.  I just love to be treated with respect, therefore I am going to treat others with the utmost respect - no manipulation!

13. Apepperson profile image59
    Apeppersonposted 13 years ago

Only when I need them to do something for me, or when I need something from them... wink

14. A la carte profile image61
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Yes, when I can......................................................................

15. Ken Barton profile image60
    Ken Bartonposted 13 years ago

I don't believe in manipulating folks for any reason.  I believe the Lord has given me feet and hands so I can do what I need to do without having to beg from others.

16. zsobig profile image81
    zsobigposted 10 years ago

In this article you can read about the not-too-subtle marketing tricks that shops play on us to make us buy more stuff and spend more money in their venues. This is Part I. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)