Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Jangaplanet profile image61
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

2. ladyjojo profile image60
    ladyjojoposted 13 years ago

I won't say weakness in a sense

because strong people cry also, it's part of or emotions that when we are touched, sadden or moved by a situation we cry.

I cry when i read sad books, watch a sad movie, if someone dies etc. It doesn't mean that i am weak because i am a very strong individual but people let out their emotions in different ways.

Crying is good it releases all the pains, joy etc. I think men have a wrong concept about crying is for women. Absoslute Rubbish it's for everyone and it's healthy

3. Sneha Sunny profile image85
    Sneha Sunnyposted 13 years ago

i think its a sign that you are normal......

4. EnjoyYourLife profile image59
    EnjoyYourLifeposted 13 years ago

I believe crying is a necessary outlet of emotion, and doesn't necessarily define a person in terms of weakness or strength. However, personally, I would lean towards crying being a sign of strength.

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

Neither, crying is a display of emotion.

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

Like most human behavior it depends on the situation. Wearing one's heart on their sleeve is not always the appropriate thing.

However there are times when the sharing of an emotion will elicit understanding, empathy, and respect. It can also illustrate your humanity.
    Again it comes back to what the circumstances are and who you are sharing your feelings with.
    They say, "Tears are the water that cleanses the soul".

7. profile image52
    raxxsachposted 13 years ago

It is not a sign it is just a response to an action or pain .as all people have different reflex action to the same action some people will cry ,others scream or cry.i dont think it makes you weak or strong.But it is better then venting out your anger in violent way..

8. Pagelift profile image60
    Pageliftposted 13 years ago

Neither, crying is a human emotion we all experience in our lives.

9. profile image50
    blake hillposted 13 years ago

In my opinio, crying is a sign of very high strength. To me, it means that you are strong enough, and smart enough to be able to withstand the possible humiliation of crying in front of people. Today, the act of crying has been made to look like a sign of weakness, because you aren't able to hold in your emotions. But I beleive that it is a sign of stregnth.

10. Craan profile image81
    Craanposted 13 years ago

I think crying helps one get in touch with his true feelings. Crying is not a sign of weakness it is part of being human. After a good cry people tend to develop a super human strength that helps to face their problem head on and how to cope.

11. Y. Kajitaka profile image61
    Y. Kajitakaposted 13 years ago

It can be either.  Crying constantly and over the least little thing is just being a wimp.   But for people who endure everything without the least complaint, or even if the complain, grow angry, get frustrated- crying would be a relief to them, because it would help them let go of things.  The weak cry when they don't get their way; the strong cry when the weak would've lost all hope.

12. the50marathons17 profile image84
    the50marathons17posted 13 years ago

I would say crying is an emotion that is completely neccessary in anyone's life.

13. Supercellbaebe profile image60
    Supercellbaebeposted 13 years ago

Good question!  Crying is something I rarely feel the urge to do, but when I do have a good proper cry it makes me feel tremendously relieved, like a weight has just been lifted.  Its like a real vent of emotion and I feel free after wards. 

I think true crying, and not crocodile crying, is neither a weakness or a strength.  I think it is sometimes a necessary vent for a great deal of otherwise pent up emotion.

14. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4581634_f260.jpg

Showing emotion and feelings are always a sign of strength. Not being able to do this could be a sign of a problem.

15. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

It depends on where and why the tears.  I know people who cry at the drop of a hat and I do not find that a sign of strength.   A lot of women cry when they get frustrated and I find that is contrary to showing strength.

If the situation is serious and a show of strong emotion is warranted I find crying appropriate although neither a sign of weakness nor strength.  I have to say I am very uncomfortable with men crying, unless the situation is really serious--guess that is old fashioned and unfair of me.

16. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't think it's a sign of weakness, but I do think there are times a person must be strong enough not to cry (particularly if there are people around who look to that person for leadership and strength).  Personally, I tend to think, the more real reason there is to cry, the more important it is to remain strong enough not to.

17. Kamalesh050 profile image72
    Kamalesh050posted 13 years ago

Crying is only emotion. It has nothing to do with weakness or strength.It does help in bringing out the feeling of sadness inside you and you feel better later.

18. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

Crying can be lots of things..

Frustration
    Emotion
    Hurt
    Happiness

Its a way of showing  your feelings !!

19. Shakeel Shavab CK profile image60
    Shakeel Shavab CKposted 13 years ago

crying is not a sign of weakness or strength, But it's a sign indicating the existence of a sacred heart.

20. saimpeter profile image60
    saimpeterposted 13 years ago

They can be both. It depends upon why the individual is crying. As a man I feel comfortable enough to cry if the situation compels me to do so. It's not a matter of thinking, but feeling.

21. Sundeep Kataria profile image63
    Sundeep Katariaposted 10 years ago

Crying is the outer manifestation of an emotion which comes from the feeling of helplessness, being caught doing something wrong or not being able to handle a situation or challenge.

In either case, none of these are admirable qualities of an individual who wants to be successful.

Yes there are exceptions to this such a loosing a near or dear one, unbearable pain or something like this.

Therefore, one is not setting a good example in front of one's employees by displaying lack of good qualities. This will lower the morale and confidence of the employees.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)