Is it better to be honest or to keep it to yourself?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TheBlondie profile image59
    TheBlondieposted 12 years ago

Is it better to be honest or to keep it to yourself?

For smaller things like if people ask you how they look, etc.

2. PURPLECANDY profile image74
    PURPLECANDYposted 12 years ago

I think if your opinion could cause a fight or damage your relationship,you should keep your thoughts to yourself.  In other words, do NOT be honest for the sake of the relationship - and maybe for the sake of the other person's feelings.  Like if you think your sister's haircut looks awful, don't blurt out, "wow, youlook like sh*(&t!"  How is that going to do any good?  Just say, "It's interesting!"  or "It suits your face!"  I believe in making people feel good about themself. Like what if this attractive woman was going by and your boyfriend said, "Man she is so hot, I wish you looked more like her!"  don't you wish he hadn't been so HONEST....because now you just feel bad about yourself.  We don't have to be honest about EVERYTHING.  Sometimes being kind is more important, I think.

3. jujanester profile image79
    jujanesterposted 12 years ago

If I feel the need to say it,, then I will tell it...But If I dont feel like saying it,, then I won't..I'll just have to keep it myslef,,, well,, right now Im experiencing it,, at this very moment,,, I dont know,, I feel jealous right now,, Just checked my fb account,, and looked at my Bf's recent activities,, lol,,I found out he left some link to his " celebrity crush" with some message saying
    " can I be your body guard? my idol (Celebrity name)" lol..
    I felt jealous,, but iM  not  telling it to him....also when he told me that he had dreamed about his another "celebrity crush" which in that scene they're kissing! well he really told me his dreams! without realizing I was totally broken! and really jealous! I did not tell him!! but He noticed it....haiztttt.....

4. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 12 years ago

Honest.
    All the way..............................

5. Ancillotti profile image61
    Ancillottiposted 12 years ago

Honesty is a virtue important, but should not be used if it is to hurt someone. If your opinion is at odds with what the people want and you want to be honest, look for nice words and be smooth in the telling.

6. Rastamermaid profile image64
    Rastamermaidposted 12 years ago

I keep it honest,but I also keep it real.

Meaning sometimes is best to honestly keep your mouth shut,even on small things.

Sometimes people ask questions they already know the answer to,just want to hear your opinion.

My opinion should never mean more to you than your own.

If a friend ask me how they look and it's horrible,I'll say look in the mirror,what do you think?

Sometimes it pays to flip a question you really don't want to answer.

7. Edoka Writes profile image60
    Edoka Writesposted 12 years ago

You can be honest, but respectful. It's all about thinking your words through before verbalizing your opinions.

8. profile image0
    Dandraposted 12 years ago

Best to be wise, and act according to the situation. It totally depends on what you deem as a "small" thing. Yeah but if people ask you how they look - well I'm honest often, I'll say "yeah that jacket's not working". Just be kind. And holistic.

9. profile image0
    easilymistaken4posted 12 years ago

It depends on the situation. I think being honest is a good and bad thing at the same time. Just think before you speak!

10. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

If my hair was messed up or an outfit was not flattering, I would want someone to be honest and tell me. I think its better to be honest with others and ourselves. Truth sometimes hurts but lies are worse.

11. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 12 years ago

Oh what a tangled web we weave,when first we practice to deceive.It is better to get it out of the way,and move on,and you wont have to worry about it coming back to hunt you.

12. zduckman profile image61
    zduckmanposted 12 years ago

The truth will set you free. It may seem difficult initially...but it is easiest in the end.

13. ravenlt04 profile image60
    ravenlt04posted 12 years ago

It absolutely depends on the situation/person!  It most cases honesty is the best policy, but if it will totally break someone's heart... find a nice but honest thing to say like about the color he/she chose to wear, for instance.  I generally tell my close friends the truth (for their benefit and own good)!  I definitely would want someone to tell me things like I have a boogie or a fly-away hair (you know, embarrassing things)!

14. Nancy Ruby profile image61
    Nancy Rubyposted 12 years ago

Unless you have something nice to say...keep it to your self.

15. Melanie Trausch profile image59
    Melanie Trauschposted 12 years ago

It's always better to be honest, but do so in a respectful way.

16. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

Well if I asked my boyfriend how I look when we're about to go out, I would really rather him be honest, because I don't want to go out in public looking trashy or anything because he was afraid he would hurt my feelings.  As far as personal things that the public is forbidden from, it's okay if he exaggerates a little to make me smile.  I don't want to hear that he thinks I've got a little more body fat than he would like.  I'd rather hear that he likes how I look and thinks I'm cute, even on the days when I'm at my ugliest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)