What are the secrets of a great relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Sturgeonl profile image84
    Sturgeonlposted 12 years ago

What are the secrets of a great relationship?

2. LanaLu profile image61
    LanaLuposted 12 years ago

I would say communication and trust are key to a great relationship.

3. Ben Zoltak profile image82
    Ben Zoltakposted 12 years ago

I wish I knew them all..listening is a good one. In a romantic relationship sex is important! Having a good understanding about who you each are is very important, about what you expect with relating to other people, singles and couples.

Keeping surprises is better than keeping secrets.

4. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

I assume you meant a romantic relationship? If so, then the answer is that your partner has to be your best friend..this time you change from having your girlfriends or men friends (platonic, professional,) comfort you, on anything, he or she should be the one you go to, AND...he or she has to know that given a choice (some have many many offers), you would choose him or her and no other..it is just my own perspective, Sturgeon1

5. R Pseudomen profile image70
    R Pseudomenposted 12 years ago

Great relationships do not happen by themselves.

You need these components to keep the relationship positive:
    - Time together without distractions. Every day you should spend some quiet time together before bedtime. Just a syoung children need to relax from stimulating video games and television, couples need to unwind together. Maybe it's "couch time" where you just sit together and watch tv, or both of you reading. Keep the spark alive with some unforced together time as a habit that is wrapped within your relationship.
    - Honest communication. When there are secrets or untold sadness being held within the relationship communication breaks down and distrust can begin to infect the relationship. You need to have a way to speak together that does not involve anger or hurt feelings. This can be by sharing a secret word or phrase that starts this free period of discussion. But, you need to be able that you rpartner can only do so much. As individuals we need to take responsibility for our own actions and also the things that we do that can affect those closest to us. If you need help you must be able to ask for it; if you are hurting, before you talk about it becertain that your partner can help you whether or not this may involve a third party, such as a counselor.
    - Shared goals. Both of you should know which path of life you are travelling and understand that, even as individuals, this path needs to be walked together.

And keep the love alive by remembering and demonstrating why you are together.

6. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 12 years ago

I am currently in a really happy relationship..

My girlfriend and I have been dating for two years. I treat my girlfriend like a princess, and try to make her my number one priority in life. And she spoils me as well. We talk about everything - little things that bother us, to big things that bother us, to things that make us happy.
    We are both focused on getting married as soon as we are financially ready. We both love each other unconditionally.

We have not had an argument yet, and it has been two years!

7. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 12 years ago

Trust is the number one thing, if you do not have trust you do not have a relationship. Second would be communication, you must able to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife anything without fear or without judgement.
    Third is respect , you must respect each other.

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

Open communication is a major factor. You should want to tell your significant other everything about you. I've caught myself attempting to explain my entire thought process to my husband before, but he knows me so much better because of it. You should be able to talk to your partner about anything, not get bored, and enjoy the so called "uncomfortable silences." You should also implicitly trust your partner. They should be the one person in the world you know you can trust no matter what.

9. creativebutterfly profile image61
    creativebutterflyposted 12 years ago

communication, friendship, trust and fun.   Most relationships lose the fun as they get themselves involved with the day to day running of life and forget to have fun and dates.

10. Sheila Lee profile image60
    Sheila Leeposted 12 years ago

Communication is vital. Without it, there can't be any trust, because then you are just assuming things that may or may not be there. Communication works both ways, though. And it should be about everything, not just when you are feeling down and blue. If living together, financial matters need to be communicated, and not just in general. Wants and needs have to be communicated, not just expected. When one partner does not communicate, the other partner may misinterpret it and THAT is when anger and hurt feelings arise.

I like the secret word/phrase idea. Why was that not mentioned before? Good idea RP! And if a partner is feeling hurt or disappointed, they should be able to talk with their partner and the partner should not get defensive. Then you are ASSUMING, and that is not healthy in a relationship.

Shared goals are very important. But these need to be COMMUNICATED and not just once a year. Talk to your partner about your goals and their goals. Support them in the ways you both can achieve these. Don't just sit there and assume your partner is on the same path or has changed their goals. If you don't ask questions, if you don't communicate, how are you (or they) supposed to know where they are at?

No relationship is perfect. Sometimes issues come up. Some of these issues can come up many times. But if they do, that means there is lack of communication and you BOTH need to sit down, calmly, and clearly find a resolution. "Reacting" to issues in a negative manner will only be the downfall to the relationship. And NOT reacting will have the same effect.

So if you want to keep the relationship alive, maybe it's time to reflect on how you, and not the other person, can better communicate openly and healthily to your partner. Communication, with work, can make a relationship stronger and healthier.

11. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

50/50 input in any successful relationship.

High level of communication, trust and confidentiality.

Emotionally attached, laughter, happiness and Love.

Say I love you every night before sleeping, no matter what.

12. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

No secrets.  It all has to do with the person you choose as a mate.  If things run hot and cold, you are in trouble.  But if you work like a team with the same goals and support system, nothing will break you.  When it clicks, it clicks.  You will know you have chosen "the right one" because your life together is a peaceful one.  It's not that you're going to spend your time doing battles.

13. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

I do believe to have a long lasting relationship will definitely face alot of challenges.

For example, my wife and I have gone through many ups & downs. A happy and great relationship will have good as well as bad times when both of you may quarrels. That is healthy though we may not really welcome it. It is always better to get things off your chest whenever there is unhappiness. The worst thing can happen is when things are kept inside and it will one day burst causing much worse disaster in relationship.

Talking with each other and understand individual needs are important. At times, either party should be the one to keep it cool when argument arises. Lessons learnt in life is that we do have to give in to each other at certain point of our lives. Sometimes, argument can be sparked off with ridiculous topic therefore one party must take initiative to cool off.

Have some common grounds of doing things together but at times, it will be better to have your own personal space where you can relax.

14. kayyluh profile image61
    kayyluhposted 12 years ago

Trust, communication and friendship. If you don't have trust you won't ever get anywhere, yes if trust is ruined it won't ever be the same but you can always try. Communication is key also because you need to talk through problems and work them out! Friendship because who would rather be with for the rest of your life than your friend. I have some relationship articles if you are looking for help:)

15. Grime Remix profile image61
    Grime Remixposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this question.  I personally do not believe there's a secret.  Two events in my life shed much light on how to treat other people, people you love, and people your in love with.  The first was a religious event meant to show you exactly how God's love feels and how worthy you are.  The second was the teachings and poems of Rumi.  He expressed the ability to let go completely the person you love and love them anyway.  Painful. 

My conclusion is that when you decide to form a relationship with someone, keep in mind all the ways life may take you.  If your willing to move forward go for it.

16. That Grrl profile image73
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

Both people need to want it and work on keeping it. One person can't make a relationship work all by themselves.

17. KateWest profile image63
    KateWestposted 12 years ago

Good question, I'm still trying to figure it out. But start with communication. The best relationships you need to work at, but at the same time it shouldn't be TOO hard - both of you should easily want to be together. If you're unsure, ask yourself why.

18. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

love, love,love
    Think as "two"
    no lies
    be faithful
    appreciate

19. RavenBiker profile image61
    RavenBikerposted 12 years ago

Fair fights (and they are going to happen) and sharing the same sense of humor.  After all, you gotta laugh at the same thing after the fight....

20. Janellegems profile image61
    Janellegemsposted 11 years ago

friendship, interested in knowing the person, likes, dislikes, learning to communicate well, seeing things from the other partner's point of view, understanding one another, each others differences, unconditional love, .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)