How can one practice self control?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. kannanwrites profile image92
    kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

How can one practice self control?

There are many situations in life where we have to hold ourselves for the better. Without self-control there can be many immediate and long-term problems. Like controlling anger, excessive intake of alcohol etc. can have long-term adverse effects.

Can you provide some tips for self-control?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Loss of self control always comes from allowing emotions to control us, watch the emotion arise, recognise it for what it is and then let it go.

3. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 12 years ago

Well how you practice self control is actually dependent on what you're trying to control yourself from doing. It's not a situation where "anger management" translates over to "control of your alcohol addiction".

If you're trying to control your anger then watch a television show or read a book that absolutely infuriates you and try not to scream at the offending morons. If you can hold in your anger and release it later in a more productive way you've got the hang of it.

If you're trying to control alcoholism then pour a glass of beer for yourself all the way up to the top and put it on your tray, nightstand, or whatever, and do not touch it. If you feel the compelling urge to drink it then pour it out. When you have reached the point where you can look at the glass and not compulsively drink it then you've got your intake under control.

Just come up with little training methods like these for your various needs.

4. profile image0
    Miss Nasreenposted 12 years ago

Everything is possible regarding our habits, When you think you can do. Otherwise there are many Lame Excuses.

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

Practice deep breathing and meditation. Obviously there's anger management, counselling and other related classes/meetings. Self defence classes are good for someone who can't control their fists.

But I've found that many people who have no self control tend to; in general; be quite unhappy in their own lives. A lot of people who have lost control of themselves and their own lives will use anger, intimidation and agression to try to control others. Lack of self control is often caused by built up frustration. Usually the cause is deeper than that person just having anger issues. Therefore, focusing on the lack or continuous loss of self control is not the key, the key is to find the cause and to deal with that. Why, when and where did it all begin... could it have been learnt at a young age from a respected elder?...

6. Good Guy profile image82
    Good Guyposted 12 years ago

One needs to be mindful at all times. Easier said than done.  But one has to start somewhere.  It's now.  Just like creating a good habit.  One needs great effort to practise, practise, practise.   Most times, one would fail to be mindful, but at least through constant practise, once in while the mindfulness will be there.

Mindfulness of what?  It is the ability to be acutely aware of what is becoming of oneself at that moment in time, that is, the "now" awareness.  When one is able to be mindful of one's feeling at that point in time, "now",  then one would note that feeling, realizes it's not good for one to indulge in that feeling and then to let that feeling pass.  With constant practice, one will improve on one's character.

That's my 2-cents worth of sharing.

7. denkmuskel profile image59
    denkmuskelposted 12 years ago

I have practised anger control through various technique over the last 20 years. The longest was meditation and guess what. I don't think it was, what has helped. Though I can still recommend certain forms of meditation and relaxation if there's no philosophy involved in it or if you can leave these aside.

One has to understand oneself, one's anger and the source of one's anger. A deep understanding of these things does not come by mere meditation as usually meditation is about observing thoughts at max. Tactical thinking and the help of someone outside our head are the ways I ve found helpful. Those can be found in a good analyst or other cognitive therapies. Other people, other means. But beware of those promising things too good to be true like scientology or those selling subliminal soundtracks, just to name sth. They never keep up to their promises.

Especially if you are dealing with excessive behaviour and the intake of drugs (including alcohol). These are things that need a long-term therapy. There is no way around it, sorry. Don't fall for instant cures. They don't exist.

One last thing... I have found anger to be a natural thing that hasn't to be suppressed at all times. It often at times is the right thing to express. There should be no guilt about it. The problem is rather the often accompanying verbal or physical violence. These should be controlled or better, as said above, dissolved by understanding their sources.

Have a peaceful sunday -_-

8. parwatisingari profile image62
    parwatisingariposted 12 years ago

Kannan, one thing I have noted is that tabla players very rarely get angry.
    The days I practice dance I don't get angry, so maybe venting it out in an alternate method, would be step one. Of course, cracking what makes you angry and addressing that issue is another great way.
    The term self control in itself is a little scary it means, that you are holding back, things could snap sometime along the way. May be it is a better idea to just  let go.
    Louise Hay has a suggestion, that you put down on paper, and include your elaborate vengeance plan finally just burn the paper should help.

9. bhargvi sharma profile image36
    bhargvi sharmaposted 12 years ago

By daily practicing yoga & mediation we can easily control our anger, aggression, excessive alcohol intake etc.Moreover helps in controlling our emotions who lead us to do all the wrongs ways to get what we want.
    Morning or evening walk will so help to reduce these & make us fit & healthy.

10. raciniwa profile image82
    raciniwaposted 12 years ago

Knowing thyself is the best way to develop ones self, know ones strength and develop one weaknesses...the Higher Parent needs to develop the undisciplined child...

11. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

I agree with all the comments here. I've been exploring this question for 30 years, and the best answer I've found is in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey. His idea, in my words, is that there are four agreements to the freedom to choose, or to self-control:
    self-awareness: Know what we are doing, and what we feel like doing before we do it.
    imagination: Whenever we think there is only one option, come up with a second. When there are two, find three. Once there are three, you will see that there are many choices.
    conscience: First, do no harm to yourself and others. Then, in a responsible way, add joy or goodness to life.
    independent will: realize that it's not your genetics, or society, or your parents. Whatever influences are acting on you, the choice is yours, and you will live with the consequences.

Practice each of these ingredients with each breath of each day. Meditation helps, as does keeping a journal, as does yelling at the ocean, if you have to. Go for it!

1. kannanwrites profile image92
      kannanwritesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm off to get that book. Also, "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen is an excellent book.

12. Raghav Chandegra profile image53
    Raghav Chandegraposted 11 years ago

I believe that what causes us to lose control, is when we get so boggled down in our usual daily activities that we lose sight and direction in attaining our personal goals. 

If use this simple analogy we can understand this a little better, In sports teams, you have the team players itself, and the coach. The team players represent the body and the mind, while the coach represents the intellect. Its the intellect that directs our mind and body to act with reasoning and untoward a known goal. Now, in a basketball game, the coach can call a 'time-out' where the game is paused, and the team and coach have a chance to re-think strategy and ensure that the team is playing in line with what is needed to be done to win the game.

In the same way, i believe that regular meditation or just a simple "time-out" where you assess the actions you are taking, and ensure that you are still on path towards reaching your greater goal, will be of much benefit in controlling the self.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)