What is the most selfless thing that you have ever done for someone else?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (19 posts)
  1. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

What is the most selfless thing that you have ever done for someone else?

Please define the scenario and what you did to change the life of someone else.

2. profile image0
    bmcoll3278posted 12 years ago

Im not sure there is such a thing . Doing for others makes us happy so when we do it we are making our self's happy so it is kind of selfish but selfish in a good way.

But I think it would be giving up what I want or need to give my kids what they need.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I don't have anything all that life changing, but I remember a bunch of my friends wanted to go for a "Girls Night," and I really wanted to go too. But we didn't have a babysitter, and I volunteered to watch everybody's kids so they could go. I did feel kind of sorry for myself that I was missing the fun, but I felt good that not everybody had to.

4. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Taking care of a friend in the most desperate need. Helping him to recover from an injury and nurture him back a healthy state. I am happy to see that he is well again and can do all normal task in his daily life. Of course I do not expect any thing in return for what I had done. I only wish him all the best in his future life to be healthy.

5. Deborah Brooks profile image59
    Deborah Brooksposted 12 years ago

I believe we should always think of the other person first. especially our family and friends.. We have a program at church.. that we help people in need with food or money or whatever they may need. These selfish people have taught me the meaning of real love and always thinking of the other person.

6. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

All that you need to know, in the answering of this question.......

I have given up and traded my tomorrows...............

The details, are simply not for sale, for your " points"..........the fact is this..........I have caused pain and I have felt it......far too often.

7. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 12 years ago

After I survived a coma and rehabilitated during the 1st 1/2 of 2003. I intercepted a drunk driver (October of 2003) with my Ford Escape so he did not side-impact a mini-van with 3 toddlers in the direct path of him... It was significantly selfless because I was in the right place at the right time; although I was in (complete) ignorance of this. I was indeed selfless indeed, because I believe Someone was acting through me and I was the unknowing pawn...

8. MickeySr profile image78
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

This was almost tricky, because I agree with bmcoll3278 that really zeroing in on 'selfless' is not as easy as we might at first think - we ourselves do benefit in some manner, even merely getting a good feeling, when we simply do 'good deeds' . . . if we think of nice things we've done for others we might initially count that as an act of selflessness, but on further consideration we might well recognize a blessing or comfort we ourselves enjoyed in doing it.

Like, I recall once getting a call in the middle of the night from one of my many daughters that she and her husband were stuck on a highway 50 miles from my house with a flat tire . . . they were about 7 miles from his parents house but he said his parents would never come out at that late hour to rescue them. When my daughter said she then would call me he assured her it was a waste of time and that I too would not come all that way and in the middle of the night to help them - her response was "Of course he will!'. That incident came to my mind first, but only because they (her husband) made such a fuss about the whole thing . . . and the truth is, I was delighted for an opportunity to play the hero fro my daughter, so, it may have been a bit sacrificial, but it was not a selfless act.

But I say this question is 'almost tricky' because as I thought 'can I think of anything at all I ever do that is genuinely selfless, that I don't benefit from at all?' something instantly came to my mind; I kind of regularly feed or set-up humorous remarks or slide answers to questions to others around me, so that they can receive a bit of acclaim or praise . . . in Sunday School classes or small group Bible studies, etc, I will, following the direction of the conversation, say something that offers me up as a goof for someone to wise-crack about - or I'll sort of beat around the bush suggesting terms or names, etc, that prompts another to come-up with answer to a question.

I suppose I do this because I like to see someone, perhaps a seemingly unlikely someone, shine for a moment . . . so, I do gain a mild enjoyment, but I don't feel or sense myself actually benefiting from this in any way, it's not helping me at all in any manner.

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I sort of believe that if we think and report our selfless acts then they are not really selfless anymore.  The entire deed becomes about us and how we acted in that moment.

10. DAWNEMARS profile image61
    DAWNEMARSposted 12 years ago

I helped my friend when she was sick. However, I wanted her to get better because she was my friend. Therefore I have to conclude that this was not a truely selfless act. Interesting question. We let someone go in front if they only have a loaf of bread in the supermarket as this is just polite. Yet considering this question is difficult. Perhaps involvement of the self is required to be able to think of others needs as well as our own.

11. tlmcgaa70 profile image59
    tlmcgaa70posted 12 years ago

being there for my sister when she got an abortion, even though i begged her not to do it. i would have gladly adopted her baby, but she chose to do it anyway. she needed me for support and i could not say no.

12. anndavis25 profile image76
    anndavis25posted 12 years ago

I'm still working on it.  I'd like to give my heart and mind 100 percent to Jesus, and even then, I'm selfish.  Because, in return, I want to experience the 'peace that passes understanding'.

13. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

I have helped feed strangers -( volunteer on holiday mornings.)

reached and grabbed a food item for an older woman at the store

tell my roommates a fire was happening in the house in the am..banging on their windows  (instincts I guess)

14. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

My act itself has not as yet been performed, BUT,  I AM an Organ Donor so when I die others will benefit from my organs.

15. CR Rookwood profile image72
    CR Rookwoodposted 12 years ago

Hmmmm. Well, I once had a philosophy teacher who bragged that he was the most humble person in class. He was trying to be funny, you know--bragging about his own humility. That's kind of funny, especially for a philosophy professor, since of all the things they tend to be known for, humility isn't usually one of them.

So he looks at me and says, "I'm way humbler than you are, for instance." Like, trying to start something.

And I said, "Yes you are. I defer to you completely."

16. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Paying for my sponsored child's education for the period of 15 years now, even in times I have very little money to spend on my own children. He wants to be a doctor and I hope I will be able to pay for him to 'fullfill his dream and help his countrymen for better health'smile

17. procreate-light profile image79
    procreate-lightposted 12 years ago

Putting my job on the line and spearheading a human resources investigation (for two of my co-workers) into the management practices and abuse a former boss of mine used when I worked for Glaxo.  He was a malicious, and cruel manager who actually proudly used to boast that he used the Management Style of Atilla the Hun. 
    He would isolate and manipulate our district sales team members. Lie to us, steal other company's pharmaceutical samples out of physician's sample closets, intimidate and threaten us with our jobs etc, etc, etc...
    When two of them started having severe emotional problems and one was hospitalized with heart stress (at 28 years old) I found a way to overcome my fear of (losing my job/severe retribution) and reported him to HR.  It was a very stressful and anxious period, with veiled threats issued towards me, but finally HR came in and did one on one interviews with each member. The manager was placed on leave and eventually fired, only to sue the company later for "age discrimination" and other accusations. Glaxo in all their wisdom, paid him off to go away.
    I relocated to another state and district and stayed on another year, but never really got over it, or the fact that so many people in "upper management" knew about his behavior and tactics, but liked his results while they turned a blind eye to his methods.
    In my opinion, the end does not justify the means, EVER, if those means are immoral or unethical.  But Big money corporations don't work that way, sadly.

18. Quirinus profile image59
    Quirinusposted 11 years ago

Providing the opportunity to exercise one's freedom or independence. 
    I have refrained from the disciplinary stance of having my children follow exactly as I say.  I express my preference and let them decide.  I guess it is in this way that they have learned independence and strength of character.
    An example scenario: I would rather they not leave the house late at night; I express my preference, but in the end, it is still up to them what to decide.  On my part, it is a difficult thing to experience fear for their lives while they are away late at night but I do not fight with them over it.
    Another example is in the choice of spiritual beliefs.  I simply let them choose what they feel would be best for them, not imposing my own belief system on them.
    This is the general stance I tend to take towards everyone: express my preference but leave up to the person to decide what is in their best interest.

1. homesteadbound profile image82
      homesteadboundposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How old are your children?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)