When was the last time you spent time with an Elder or helped out an old person?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (33 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image74
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

When was the last time you spent time with an Elder or helped out an old person?

Our wisest souce is our old people, our Elders.  So often in today's society, we simply place these wise ones in nursing homes or retirement centers and move on with our lives.  This valuable resource is seldomly tapped.  When was the last time you gave respect to an Elder and spent time talking with them?

2. tonymead60 profile image84
    tonymead60posted 11 years ago

Every day, I just have to talk to the wife.

backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one!

3. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I did it several times earlier this week. My wife and I, together, visit her father and help him share his wisdom with the world, even though he has developed some limitations. And your question is a great one, as we can do more than just reach out to our own family. A few weeks ago, I took time to be with one of the other patients at the care unit where my father-in-law lives. It would make sense to do that more often, or serve in some other way.

It is so true!  Our Elders are so important and many people often overlook that resouce.

4. ErinElise profile image60
    ErinEliseposted 11 years ago

I talk to my 85 year old dad on a daily basis and see him about once a week.
    ; )

5. Neil Sperling profile image60
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

Daily - an old chap who rented above me has no friends, no money, no car... I pick him up for coffee 5-7 times a week and drive him to the grocery store sometimes 2 times a week as well.

Helping our fellow travelers on the path of life is a joy (even though at times it seems a burden - LOL )

6. GracieLinda profile image60
    GracieLindaposted 11 years ago

I tried to volunteer near my home but since I am on steroids couldn't,  It didn't seem like they wanted any volunteers but the way I was treated before they knew.

7. marwan asmar profile image67
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

Your absolutely right we don't take enough time to be around our elders. We are too busy carrying on with our own lives that we tend to forget this valuable portion of society. Its a crying shame!

8. MrMaranatha profile image71
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

I had two Elders come to my door just recently.. but they were only about 18-20 years old... Does that count???

Just Kidding... and you are correct... our Real Elders are a source of Wisdom and should be treated with respect in their closing years...

1. daFuj profile image60
      daFujposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very funny.  I know just who you mean. . .why do they call them "elders"?  Most of them are about 18 and have just started shaving!

9. Eugene Hardy profile image61
    Eugene Hardyposted 11 years ago

I'm getting old myself, but I sat on a park bench having a conversation about people and being city dwellers.

10. jcm_blabs profile image76
    jcm_blabsposted 11 years ago

Over two weeks ago I sat by my mother's side at the hospital.

11. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 11 years ago

My mom at 86 just passed away and I spent a good bit of time with her. She was fun and interesting to be with.

12. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

Almost six to eight months every year I spend my time with my mother -in-law, 80 years of age, in a same house. She stays with us and naturally I take care of her every need and every special moment we share together.

13. Grams Study profile image60
    Grams Studyposted 11 years ago

I was a chronic care nurse mostly in nursing homes for 38 years.  I helped one out yesterday who is older than I am

14. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 11 years ago

All day every day for the past four years smile

15. profile image36
    Rathna Petersposted 11 years ago

Daily, when it comes back to finish the evening walk in the apartment we are living in one of two elderly people sitting in a chair for two to 84, and 76 years old. I'll ask them to sit down and talk with them, they did not fail to inquire about the other details.

16. daFuj profile image60
    daFujposted 11 years ago

In January a 93 year old elder of our family passed away.  I spent a lot of time with him and feel that I was a positive influence as he passed.  It was a moral and spiritual time of growth.

17. Alayne Fenasci profile image61
    Alayne Fenasciposted 11 years ago

My 86 year old grandfather passed away a couple of weeks ago. I spent quite a few afternoons with him and my grandmother while he was in hospital. I have always been close with them. My grandmother is my source of wisdom. I trust her judgement, knowing she has seen so much of life and has learned what is true and what is important. I had a job where many elderly people shopped at the establishment. Many of them had stories to tell and I loved listening.

I grew up on a street where everyone knew each other, and my family was the only one under the age of 65. Most were quite a bit older than that. Being a small child, polite, and friendly, I got to know them all. I sat on porches drinking Sprite and listening to the old ladies tell stories and talk and ask me how I was doing.

I think I'm a generation behind my own because I grew up with such strong influences from generations prior to my parents. These wise elderly people had ethics and morals far beyond the silly arguments of today. They based life on a sturdier foundation of understanding and wisdom. I am proud to have learned from them, and plan to continue. Hopefully one day, when I am old, I will have their wisdom to share in addition to my own.

18. Keith Engel profile image69
    Keith Engelposted 11 years ago

I spent 3 years taking care of grandmother while she was living with us until her dementia got so bad that she began to get violent. I haven't really helped out an elderly person since then, though I am helping my 63 year old friend learn about computers, but I no longer think 63 is "elderly."

19. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

About once or twice a week I stop by my Dad's house to chat, and sometimes do a bit of repair on his house. Every day in my job I talk with people of all ages, including elderly, and I am often able to help them with their insurance problems. Sometimes I have to give bad news, and that makes me sad, so I try to show sympathy on the phone.

20. profile image0
    Gusserposted 11 years ago

I spend time with elders every moment of my day. I am an elder.

1. daFuj profile image60
      daFujposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hee hee.  I am too.  Just what is an "elder" when you are on Medicare, Social Security, and treasure a 79cent cup of coffee more than a T-bone steak?

2. profile image0
      Gusserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

79c coffee?  An elder is anyone past middle age. Middle Age is --To young for medicare, but too old for girls to care.

3. backporchstories profile image74

I knew there was some reason why I like you Gusser!

4. handymanbill profile image75
      handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great comment. I guess i fit that too.

21. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image65
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 11 years ago

I am currently helping one out now here in Miami. I'm helping an elder sell arts & antiques the internet way and have in the process became a partner.

22. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

Yesterday- i'm currently working in a skilled nursing facility

You have a thankless job....so for a change, allow me to thank you for what you do.  I bet you find it very rewarding at times.

23. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Three weeks ago. My sister lives a long drive from my home but I try to visit every two weeks. This month personal issues came up which have prevented me from traveling to see her. We visit on the phone several times a week.
    We go out to eat  when I go there which gets her out and then spend time visiting while some things get done around her place.

You reminded me....I need to visit my sister as soon as I get the gas!!!!

24. Becky Katz profile image79
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

I am married to one and help him constantly. He is disabled and older than me by ten years. He is a grumpy old guy at times but I wouldn't trade him for anything. We have been together for 27 years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)