Which would you choose? You have 3 choices?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (21 posts)
  1. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Which would you choose? You have 3 choices?

Would you prefer to: 1. Lose all of your old memories; 2. Erase all of your bad memories; 3. Never be able to make new memories Which would it be and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6841584_f260.jpg

2. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Sounds like a tricornered devil's choice to me. I select "none of the above." Leave my memories alone, bub!

1. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more- well said!

2. dghbrh profile image81
      dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i agree completely as memories are the foundation to go ahead in life.

3. LaThing profile image59
      LaThingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, lol, lol,....... Good one!

3. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Erase all the bad memories. They have already been in my life long enough and any positive that may be able to come from them already has. It would make me a little more sane if they were gone.

4. baygirl33 profile image57
    baygirl33posted 11 years ago

What a wicked question! No matter how one goes,it's a losing situation. But I'll answer that I choose to erase  my bad memories. Of course you would miss out on learning from your past mistake. But never being able to make new memories means you would miss out on your children's lives and you would always live in a vacumn Too horrible to dwell upon.!
    But to lose your past means you don't have a clue where you came from and why.You would not recognize your loved ones.
    This would become an unending series of new people entering your life.

5. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 11 years ago

Probably the bad ones just because that seems to be the most logical answer. Don't want to say all the old memories because I don't want to wake up one day not knowing who I am or where I am.

6. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

1. I love recalling my old memories as it was the enjoyable ones.

2. I do not consider them as bad memories as these memories helped me as who I am now so I wouldn't want to lose them.

3. To continue having new memories will make my life as a whole. If I can have new memories then it will be boring as I am feel that I am missing out something or a part of me is gone. That will not be good for me.

7. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Interesting "moral"/must-choose philosophical dilemma.  It's the kind bandied about on college campuses, "pot circles" (is that antiquated?), and in almost any "coming-of-age" plot (think of the movie "Stand By Me"), either fictionalized or lived.

Kind of like the classic "if you HAD to choose between having your sight OR your hearing...) hot-seat conundrum.   

It's the (3 cups) "Magic Ball" game, only, not only do none of the cups have the ball (prize), it's a choice among 3 poisons!

No thanks.  Tryin' to quit!

8. HLKeeley profile image79
    HLKeeleyposted 11 years ago

I do not prefer any. If I HAD to choose, oh goodness, I have already lost memories, but not all. My bad memories make me, me, but I would still have some memories. New memories is how I change...so I would go with the second choice. I can always create new memories and bad ones will definitely happen again.

9. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

Wow, what a mind pondering moment as I contemplated this question!  At first I thought of erasing bad memories, but yet those memories are lessons learned...so would I still have the wisdom earned if I was without those bad memories. Would I still be the person that I am? Never making new memories sounds so lifeless, void of existance as if nothing occurs yet confusion of what relates with what.  So I believe if I had to choose, it would be old memories and those who love me will help make new memories so I can enjoy rest of my life in the present mind.

10. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I am sure many might be tempted to say "lose my bad memories", but let us not forget that many of our "bad" memories were lessons that needed to be learned, making us, in many cases, wiser and smarter. I really would hate to lose that investment.

I am afraid, my friend, that I cannot play this game, because all the options are detrimental.

11. Mike Marks profile image59
    Mike Marksposted 11 years ago

I just want to say that some memories we catalogue as "bad" are events I would relive in a heartbeat if possible... the night that girl broke up with me and I watched her walk away... the worst fight I ever had with my deceased father... to spend another minute with such people, under any circumstances, I may cherish.  With "cherish" the "bad" of many memories can already be erased.

12. Chen Suen profile image60
    Chen Suenposted 11 years ago

I think everyone has answered the questions the way I would have.  I would never want to rid myself of my old memories, bad and good.  This is what has made me who I am today.  Making new memories is what I live for!

13. Elderberry Arts profile image93
    Elderberry Artsposted 11 years ago

I agree, I would leave them as they are. Yes, some are bad but they remind me what not to do again! Everything we experience good and bad makes us who we are, maybe we would change if we lost memory of some of those things?

14. cperuzzi profile image90
    cperuzziposted 11 years ago

All are bad choices.

1. Loss of old memories would mean loss of personality and knowledge.  So, unless you want to be an idiot without connections, don't pick choice one.

2. Is a question of character.  We all need our pain to be who we are.  Without our pain we've learned nothing of consequence.

3. Let's just say that number 3 is just a nightmare.  Imagine no new memories.  In ten years you look into a mirror and an old guy looks back - who you don't know.  Without memory, there is no knowledge.

Clearly the only real answer is number 2.  It's the only one that you can build on.

15. whonunuwho profile image55
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

First of all losing all bad memories would cause us to miss out on life's lessons of what to avoid. Losing old memories would erase what our lives have been about and a valuable resource and record of our accomplishments. Never being able to have new memories would eradicate what I feel in my life, is valuable beyond all the gold in existence, memories of the good things in life from childhood to old age. You would be extremely foolish to choose any one of the three listed.

16. addingsense profile image60
    addingsenseposted 11 years ago

i will surely choose to erase all my bad memories.

17. inChristalone profile image61
    inChristaloneposted 11 years ago

If I had to choose, I would pick losing all of my bad memories.  Although, the bad times have taught me much about how to handle conflicts and issues.  However, it would be nice to clear my past of disappointments that I have faced like watching my best friend get hit by a car, finding out that my dad was an alcoholic, or any of the other bad memories that I have.

18. Ciccarone profile image68
    Ciccaroneposted 11 years ago

Erase all the bad memories... It;s the least bad one there... If that makes any sense lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)