If you could only listen to one genre of music for the rest of your life, what w

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (76 posts)
  1. hubsy profile image69
    hubsyposted 11 years ago

If you could only listen to one genre of music for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Self explanatory smile

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7056878_f260.jpg

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Rock. Definitely rock.
    Within that one genre is the full spectrum of human emotion and experience.
    Happy, sad, up, down, political, silly -- all there!
    I'm sure others can/will say the same about their chosen genre.

1. hubsy profile image69
      hubsyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha, you seem pretty sure. I suppose rock does have all spectrums of humanity. I never thought of it that way, thanks!

2. profile image0
      Phelckyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on that one!

3. Craig Hartranft profile image59
      Craig Hartranftposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rock on mighty mom ... AC/DC or Bon Jovi or something else?

3. TheHeavyReview profile image70
    TheHeavyReviewposted 11 years ago

Definitely heavy metal, including all of its subgenres of course.  I have to say this based primarily on the diversity of the music.  It is also very emotive, with a great range of feeling put into the music.  Finally, it is a genre that is often (though not always) complex... both structurally and instrumentally.

1. hubsy profile image69

Hmmmm.... I don't have any heavy metal. Any bands you suggest to start with?

2. Craig Hartranft profile image59

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Edguy for pure melodic classic heavy metal, but there's more ...

3. TheHeavyReview profile image70
      TheHeavyReviewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Craig Hartranft.  If you want to go further try: Dream Theater, Carcass, After Forever, Moonsorrow, Wintersun... They may not be the most obvious bands, but they will show you the diversity of the genre.  None of those bands sound alike.

4. profile image0
    WhydThatHappenposted 11 years ago

Rock, more specifically classic rock.

There was so much variety in that single structure of music

1. hubsy profile image69

You're so right, I wish I listened to more classic rock.

2. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of my top 3 favorite songs of all time, right here
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rck11HnpReU
      Jimi Hendrix- bold as love - rare instrumental version

3. Craig Hartranft profile image59

Classic rock ... well ... rocks But there are many bands doing the same right now ... contact me for more info ...

5. Sunshine625 profile image85
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Country music. I like stories and no other genre could tell a story like a country music song. Contrary to the rumor, the songs really aren't all about drinking, cheating, partying and pick up trucks. OK, most are, but the stories vary per artist smile

1. Craig Hartranft profile image59

Old country, like 50's and 60's, or modern country that developed in the early 90's with Garth?

2. Sunshine625 profile image85
      Sunshine625posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mostly modern country, but some old school too.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

It would have to be the Blues. There's a huge spectrum within the Blues genre, it's the only true American music form, and it is the root of rock.

Dig the blues ... my favorite song is from BB King: Nobody Loves Me But My Mother (But She could be Jiving Me Too)

7. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

Traditional music - Celtic, English and American and world folk. Music which has survived for 100 years or more because it is good. It has stood the test of time and is not reliant on image, fashion and popular culture for its appeal. Diverse, because it spans the world, emotional and poignant, calming and beautiful. It won't be the most popular genre among these answers because most people just don't get to hear enough of this kind of music unless they actively seek it out. But that's my choice. Alun.

1. hubsy profile image69

That's exactly how I feel about classical music. Pop music today is all about image and money, not about quality. I wrote a whole hub on it.
      http://hubsy.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Class … -Professor

8. Craig Hartranft profile image59
    Craig Hartranftposted 11 years ago

Since I write music reviews about hard rock and heavy metal, you would guess these would be my first choices. I'm not sure. I might go for classical music ...

1. hubsy profile image69

Thanks Craig!

9. Alexander Mark profile image81
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

Old hymns. I know there is no radio station for that but that is the most uplifting music ever made.

Dig those Scottish hymns, and most anything Wesleyan despite the fact that he was a Semipelagianist ...

10. Eranofu profile image64
    Eranofuposted 11 years ago

World music. big_smile Trying to fit in as much as possible. wink

1. hubsy profile image69

By world music, do you mean folk music? Thanks for answering!

2. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. World music contains a bit of style from different countries, especially African type rhythms. I think Simon & Garfunkel were the first to popularize it in the US with their album "Graceland."

11. Georgie Lowery profile image89
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

Count me in as one more vote for hard rock and heavy metal. It would be hard for me to give up rap, though.

rap is crap

2. Georgie Lowery profile image89
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We will have to agree to disagree! smile

3. hubsy profile image69

Wow rock looks like its winning! Thanks for answering!

12. John Sarkis profile image81
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

The same genre of music I've been listening to since I was 15, Classical.  Nonetheless, I've played popular music here and there at times - I play piano

1. hubsy profile image69

JOHN! I play piano too! Right now I'm working on Liszt's Paganini Etude no. 6 and Rhapsody in Blue. I'm going to enter a concerto competition to play it iwth an orchestra. I really want to start learning Fantacy Impromptu, have you ever played it?

13. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

It would have to be the classics from the folk era and a few who came a little later. This includes Peter, Paul and Mary; Simon and Garfunkel, Joan Baez,  the lyrics of Bob Dylan (he cannot sing), John Denver, and I throw Jim Croce into that mix. He came later, but his music was certainly part of that genre. The music told a story, sent a message and entertained. You cannot ask for much more than that. Those that are too young and did not experience it, should find those old songs, 1960-1969. You might that your opinion about favorite music has changed.

Jim Croce ... yeah ... How about Harry Chapin

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, he was a real master.

14. msLarayne profile image63
    msLarayneposted 11 years ago

R&B! It can sooth, make me happy, sad, hopeful! It does it all for me.  At it's core, it's very much like country music - The stories drive the music.  It's like the first time I really paid attention to Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats."  The story was just like Jasmine Sullivan's "Bust The Windows."

Both ladies were fed up with their men, decided to end things and showed it by hurting not the guys, but their car.

R&B all the way!

R&B, especially if its classic Motown from the 60's and 70's ... this white boy grew up with that

2. Alecia Murphy profile image70
      Alecia Murphyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree msLarayne. Country and R&B overlap so well and I enjoy a good story. Great idea!!

3. watergeek profile image94

R&B does tell stories. I recently wrote a hub called "Water Themes & Musical Styles" that includes an old blues song about the Mississippi River flooding.
      http://watergeek.hubpages.com/_17i4x3d2 … s-in-Music

15. charliegrumples profile image38
    charliegrumplesposted 11 years ago

any middle of the road pap like JLS ... it would make life seem verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long lol

16. NiaG profile image84
    NiaGposted 11 years ago

R & B no doubt. It can provide me with all I need.

1. hubsy profile image69

I like R&B too. Thanks for answering!

17. MissyGear profile image60
    MissyGearposted 11 years ago

Classical. I think I would get sick of any other genre of music, but classical is so timeless. I don't listen to it often, but when I do, it almost becomes an obsession. That's why I have to limit myself to small doses. If it was the only thing I could listen to, then I'd have no problem listening to it all the time.

Love classic music, especially Bach, Beethoven, and Sibelious ...

2. hubsy profile image69

Awesome, I love classical music. I wrote a whole hub on why classical music is so amazing. Could you read it and give me some feedback? I like to get feedback from people who I know are experienced clsasical music listeners.
      http://hubsy.hubpages.com

18. Vellur profile image95
    Vellurposted 11 years ago

The one choice would be to listen to Carnatic (Indian origin) music for the rest of my life.

I would love to listen to country western too and many many more the list is endless!!

1. hubsy profile image69

I like to listen to Indian origin music when I'm doing yoga. Thanks! smile

19. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

Gospel. Old, new, contemporary, hymns. Just good ole gospel will do, thank you.

1. hubsy profile image69

Thanks for answering! I've never listened to gospel, maybe I should try it.

20. wayseeker profile image86
    wayseekerposted 11 years ago

What I love most about what's going on here is the variety I see.  Music is such a reflection of human diversity!

That said, I'm with my friend John Sarkis on this one:  classical all the way.  No music has ever moved my soul the same way.

1. hubsy profile image69

You are so right, this question is so fun to look at because there are so many different answers! I choose classical too, and I wrote a whole hub on The Genius of Classical Music. Could you check it out and give me your opinion?
      http://hubsy.hubpages

21. CrazedNovelist profile image85
    CrazedNovelistposted 11 years ago

Electronica!! Because it's soothing and sometimes riotous, sometimes chaotic, but can bring you at peace. Also because you have some lyrics to it too... wink Thought I'd attempt the most original answer possible...

22. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

It would have to be Heavy Metal or any sort of metal! lol! saying that, my favorite group is Scorpions, followed by Night Wish and Metallica! But I do love the rock symphonies too.

1. hubsy profile image69

Awesome, I'll be sure to check them out!

23. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

Classical.  It encompasses by far the widest sonic, historic, and stylistic variety, and so would allow the most variety of mood, and just generally be the least 'exhaustible.'

But I'd sure miss some of the other genres, anyway!  So I'm glad this question is a hypothetical one.

1. hubsy profile image69

Doc, I'm so glad you like classical music! You would love the hub I wrote on it. Please read it and comment, I love to get feedback from fellow classical-lovers.
      http://hubsy.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Class … usic-Like-

24. hazelwood4 profile image65
    hazelwood4posted 11 years ago

I am a big fan of the oldies style music, but I love listening to gospel, country, and classical music too.

25. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

Bossa nova. Did you see the hub I just wrote, by chance?  I had to take Latin Jazz (bossa nova) out of it, unfortunately, because it was too long.

http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/Water-Themes-in-Music

1. hubsy profile image69

Cool, I'll be sure to check out your hub. Thanks!

26. Music-and-Art-45 profile image92
    Music-and-Art-45posted 11 years ago

I would have to go with Classical Music.

1. hubsy profile image69

Classical wins the race! I'm so happy that it's doing so well because it's my favorite too. I wrote a whole hub on why it's so genius. Thanks for answering!

27. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I love R&B of any type- blue eyed soul, classic soul, doo-wop, funk, hip-hop mixed. It has so many layers and encompasses so much of the human experience. And to me from a historical perspective it's like the crossroads of where gospel and spiritual music began and the roots of rock so there's so many ways you could enjoy it. But in all honesty I love music so much I would find some way to make it all one genre so I could have all my cake and eat it too!

28. sradie profile image60
    sradieposted 11 years ago

Christian. I love many genre's of music but when there is only one choice, I choose the One!

1. hubsy profile image69

First vote ofr Christian! Thanks for answering!

29. Hezekiah profile image86
    Hezekiahposted 11 years ago

for me it definitely be Jazz. You can't get tired of Jazz since it tends not to follow fixed keys and notes. There is always something interesting going on with the music.

1. hubsy profile image69

I'm playing Rhapsody in Blue right now on the Piano and I love it, I wish I played more jazz piano. smile Thanks for answering!

2. watergeek profile image94

I like Latin jazz - Astrud Gilberto et al - the easy listening type. Can't stand big band jazz or really any instrument that just goes off for show. I prefer moody, romantic, rhythmic music.

30. cfjots profile image76
    cfjotsposted 11 years ago

Pop music because of the melody and the easiness of it.

1. hubsy profile image69

Haha, what a coincidence, I just wrote a hub on pop music vs. classical music. You might be interested in checking it out..

http://hubsy.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Class … -Professor

31. melbelle profile image60
    melbelleposted 11 years ago

I would listen to "old country".  A lot of the older artists did a lot of gospel too which I like.

32. profile image0
    operabonjoviposted 11 years ago

Classical/Opera. I make my living as a musician. I love all kind of music, but Classical music has the most variety and emotional intensity.

33. Jenn-Anne profile image74
    Jenn-Anneposted 11 years ago

Probably classical music - there is a lot of variety and I don't think it would ever get old.

1. hubsy profile image69

Awesome, me too. I wrote a whole hub on it. I'm so happy to see so many others who love classical music, I've linked my hub like a million times on this page because I keep thinking that I won't find anybody else who loves classical music to read it.

34. profile image0
    Olde Cashmereposted 11 years ago

I would listen to rock music because there are so many distinct periods. Classic rock, 80's, 90's alternative, etc. Not to mention the numerous bands and styles to pick from.

35. MarcusJ profile image59
    MarcusJposted 11 years ago

Only one genre? That would be a drab existence. I guess I'd go with straight out rock. It would really be an awful world without variety though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)