What comes first when you decide to write a new hub

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (31 posts)
  1. molometer profile image78
    molometerposted 11 years ago

What comes first when you decide to write a new hub

Do you use the adwords program to find key words or do you write and then find key words to fit your hubs topic?

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 11 years ago

hi Molometer!

uh-oh...key words don't typically factor into my process at all.  That would explain the many Zzzzz's on my account page I reckon.

molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol that would make some kind of sense in the days before Panda. Apparently now Google can figure out what our hubs are about merely from the title, the odd key word and a short summary? As if!

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
      ThoughtSandwichesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So I am being dissed by an algorithm?  Good lord, well no wonder...I better start writing short summaries, finding odd key words (I'm thinking snivel), and start writing titles that don't require a panel discussion about what it might mean.  lol.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

I write first. I read somewhere lately that really only your first four keywords are used so I don't know if that is true or not, but I don't put near as many as I use to and I always type in and search for my work to see if it comes up. Takes awhile sometimes but usually it does. I can't tell you what it felt like about two years ago doing an online search on a subject and here my name and article came up. Talk about thrilled!

I too only use a couple of keywords now. Too many keywords, I think confuses Google as it tries to figure out what is relevant.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I try out titles I have in mind on the keyword tool. Other than that I don't worry about them.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 11 years ago

I write when an inspiration hits me. Sometimes I look for key words to incorporate into my hub, but not always.  Writing is my highest creative passion, if key words fit in, I use them. However, I just joined a site where I will have to grab key words first then write based on those words -- that will be a new experience for me and one I am not yet sure how it will work for me.

Great question!

I tend to do a bit of both. There are so many search strings out there that I usually find something that works. Although having said that. I have spent hours looking for the right keywords.

6. Wesley Meacham profile image59
    Wesley Meachamposted 11 years ago

I go both ways.

Currently I think of every hub as an experiment.

The last two or three I've written I looked for keywords in the adwords program, picked keywords that had low compitition but a high amount of searches. Rather than simply using those keywords in a hub on the orriginal topic I just used them as the topic. I don't really know if that is a good idea or not. I'm just trying to see what happens.

Most of my other hubs I've written first. Some I've added keywords to while others I haven't bothered with.

Like I said I'm just experimenting. I'm often suprised by what works. My best preforming hub so far is one that I thought no one would like. I thought it was funny when I wrote it but also thought others would think it was stupid. But it got a lot of attention early on. I thought this attention would die off eventually but it is still in the top three or four for traffic. There are no keywords in it (on purpose anyway) but I still get hits from Google.

I'm just as suprised by the rest of the hubs that are in my top five. If I could figure out what I did right with them I'd repeat it a thousand times over.

This has been my experience too. How weird. I do use the adwords program but like you. My most successful hub ever has just one phrase. 'This site has insecure content'. The way searchers find it is also incredible. The searches seem to be random?

7. samsons1 profile image60
    samsons1posted 11 years ago

That is a good question!  I find Hubpages has a wide array of authors that have a myriad of styles and topics, and while many 'hubbers' do use the Keyword Tool to their advantage, just as many would rather write for the fun of it and often just 'cast their offerings' out there straight from what first comes to mind as they write.  I have even tried to use keywords and was unable to come up with anything usable as far as a title goes so I mostly write what I like to think is from deep within me, about my childhood, life's experiences or maybe even my opinion.

I like to read about other's success with keywords and methods they may use as they write but personally I must admit, I'm guilty of just writing for the pleasure of placing pen to paper and seeing what comes out 'on the other side'...

1. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 11 years agoin reply to this

so do I but I am dismayed by the huge number of Zzz's on  my hubs

2. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too, Samson.  I just write whenever and whatever I'm inspired to.  I didn't know about the Keyword Tool.  I'll have to find it and check it out.  It may be helpful for me.

3. molometer profile image78

Hi Sam,
      It can take a little effort to get our heads around the Adwords program and I have written a hub on the very topic. I tend to write what I am interested in too.
      There are billions of searches every month. There is usually something usable.

8. WritingPrompts profile image64
    WritingPromptsposted 11 years ago

Usually, I write first.  I tried to use the adwords, and have unpublished/unfinished hubs as a result.  I may finish them someday, but it's easier to write about things that I'm really interested in and topics I'm already familiar with.

I think a little of both is a good approach.

I agree. I have had the same experience. I too have many hubs waiting for a few keywords. As time goes on it is becoming a lot easier.

9. alancaster149 profile image77
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Having divided most of my previous Hubs under sub-headings, if I hit on an idea along those lines I expand the series. Every now and then I add a bit of 'comic relief' to the menu when I think on a theme. Whilst I write the article into my sub-domain I 'dodge out' into the general Internet for additional facts to add some 'body' to the Hub (behind every comic idea is something serious that tries to get through into your sub-conscious).
    At the moment I'm in the process of writing notes for the saga of Hrolf 'Kraki' to add to my DANELAW series. I've got some way to go before I finish, and it'll probably be spread over several pages. To do that I have to delve into my historical 'pantry' and find some goodies that will help substantiate the writing process. At the rate I'm going it'll be ready to start translating into 'print' in a couple of weeks! Meanwhile there are a few more walks to add. It's a well-oiled mill, motometer, that needs a regular input of grist.

ha ha you had me at Grist! must dash off and read up on your DANELAW work. I did the whole sub division too but since the new profile has appeared they seem to have gone. I do have a copy of all my hubs so that I can tie them in too.

10. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Michael...You sure can ask some interesting questions!   Well, you may be interested to know that, FIRST of ALL.......my main purpose to being a hubber is to do what I LOVE most and what I do fairly well.  After that, I consider anything else a "Bonus"......like the wonderful people here that I get to know and exchange with.  All the limitless knowledge available, that I may not otherwise be exposed to or investigate........and the accolades and recognition. It's all great...flattering.......and the $26.00 is growing!!
    It amazes me that there are those incredibly talented writers on this site who have made this their career....their living.   What a wonderful achievement!    And of course, I realize that for these writers it is crucial that they do all the correct things and use every last tool available to them to bring their work to utter perfection and help to guarantee that income.
    Getting finally to your question, oh patient man.......Effer doesn't even know what the adwords program is.......and although I do know what key words are, if I use them,   I promise you, it's accidental.     Have a great week-end!!

I am sure that we all agree with you on the sheer joy of writing. It is even better if we can see that people like what we produce. Keywords just help to get the hub to people that are interested in the topic we have written on. It's just targeting.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Molo....I know what it's all about and what it's for.....I just can't concern myself with it....or I'd never write.  I'd be stressing whether or not I'm promoting properly to my eventual Fame!  My dog already tells me I'm famous.

3. molometer profile image78

Hi Pamela,
      Your fame is worldwide already lol. Most of the time none of it seems to work anyway. Or Google changes the rules.

11. ootytour profile image59
    ootytourposted 11 years ago

I think its "Unique Content".  I suggest to write something about the hubbers own experiences in Travel, trekking, schools days experiences, hobbies & etc... I think these are articles are good enough to get published in hubpages.

12. smeyerz profile image61
    smeyerzposted 11 years ago

I write them, and then find keywords. I write what I want to write about, not so the hubs become popular.

13. FigureCompetition profile image66
    FigureCompetitionposted 11 years ago

I use the keyword tool.  I do write about what I am interested in (fitness and computers) but once I have decided on the topic I go searching for keywords and work them into my title. 

I have not been on hub pages long so not sure exactly what works best.

I think you have the right approach. I do the same.

14. Efficient Admin profile image85
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I write the hub first.  I always create my hubs using Word.  Once I am satisfied with the content, grammar, spelling, etc. I will use the Google AdWords Keyword Tools and take it from there.  Once the hub is created then I add photos and eBay capsules. I am still learning more advanced formatting like inserting borders, tables, links, feeds, and uploading videos.

15. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I just write. If the topic is Google friendly it will show up there. I do try to write a summary with my title and content in mind. Whatever keywords I use I try to chose ones that are shown most often in my content. I haven't used the adwords progam, but I do have a Google + account which seems to help get the article to page one of the search engine.

16. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 11 years ago

Since the "idle" fail hit us, the first thing I decide is "why bother?"

17. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 11 years ago

Hi Mike.
    I think i've tried both ways. That is in the beginning I wrote my hub and thought off a good title. Then after reading other peoples work I tried the K-Word way and had a little better result but not much. Now I combine both, that is I think of a title and go into google and see if I can come up with a better title that I like and when not I stick with the original.
    I'm not one that knows to much about article content, SEO, and the many other turms that are used. I don't make much money, but I'm happy with my work.
    LOL Ghaelach

PS. Back over to the caravan tomorrow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)