What Are The Best Ways To Reduce The Risk Of A Heart Attack?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (27 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 11 years ago

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Increased blood circulation by any kind of movement, aerobic exercise such as walking or swimming, dancing would be good.

Taking aspirin in low dose (less than 100 mgs per day)  but with food in the stomach.

3. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Personally, I depend on general physical fitness, actively seeking to keep mental stress at a low level, spirituality, a healthy balanced diet, and red wine. Not necessarily in that order.

1. Prakash Dighe profile image72
      Prakash Digheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm fully in agreement with this regimen; in fact one I do indulge in a little whiskey instead of red wine!

4. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 11 years ago

Causes of heart disease are : Excessive cholesterol, triglyceride etc., in the blood, smoking and tobacco consumption, wrong way of living and food habits, meat eggs,,sugar, salt, fried products, deficiency of roughage in food, excessive medication, tensions, working beyond one's capacity, fatigue, anger, insufficient sleep, excessive sex, restlessness, worries, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, arthritis, fever etc., are  the causes of heart complications. Regular check up and tests of heart diseases be got done . Keep away from hurry, worry and curry,, and regular mild exercises  and fasting with little food quantity are the best ways to reduce the risk of a heart attack..

1. peachpower profile image61
      peachpowerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excessive sex causes heart disease?!? Can you please share where that information was found?

2. padmendra profile image49
      padmendraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know it might sound you and many of the readers unusual because we had always heard that sex is a kind of physical exercise which gives heart a lot of palpitation and even the heart beats increases from 70-150 which is good. However there are some

5. profile image54
    alecialdeanposted 11 years ago

Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day three times a week.

Take an aspirin daily to thin your blood.

6. Brandon E Newman profile image64
    Brandon E Newmanposted 11 years ago

See your doctor and get a stress test, get screened for cholesterol and high blood pressure. If you get the right medication this could really prevent a heart attack. Take your doctors advice about diet and exercise.

7. JCielo profile image81
    JCieloposted 11 years ago

Stop smoking, daily exercise, weight reduction to get to your optimal weight, healthy diet (no sugar, avoid saturated fats and trans fats, lower cholesterol), control high blood pressure, and reduce stress.

8. samnashy profile image70
    samnashyposted 11 years ago

Stop smoking
    Maintain your weight within a healthy range for your body type
    Cut out sugar, saturated fats & basically reduce the rubbish
    Foods ricin in omega 3 are supposed to be good for heart health
    Exercise 30 mins a day, if you can't do this keep on the move
    Have your blood pressure checked
    Ask your doctor to check your blood for cholesterol, you can find out the levels of good and bad cholesterol
    Have an ECG to get a baseline reading
    Keep happy and stress free

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

All of the suggestions thus listed are reasonable and good. The only thing I would add is to reduce your stress level by avoiding some of the foolishness we run into on Hub Pages.

Also, seriously, you have to be aware of any family history and pay particular attention to those issues, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. I have all of the above, so I get a stress test every few years and see my regular doctor at least three times each year to review my medications.

10. aparker1988 profile image60
    aparker1988posted 11 years ago

You could take a daily aspirin as well as not eating so much fatty foods! My dad died from a heart attack and he was a construction worker so he was really active. The doctor said it was due in large part to his smoking, so don't smoke!!

11. MargaritaEden profile image69
    MargaritaEdenposted 11 years ago

Three things mainly: reduce stress, exercise and eat healthy.

12. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

If we look at scientifically demonstrated health and diet approaches, the Zone Diet from Dr. Barry Sears tops the charts on prevention.

In Oriental medicine, daily qigong is excellent. All methods of managing, reducing, and eliminating stress (without medication) are also very beneficial.

Moderate exercise, weight control, and a diet that eliminates inflammation are all good.

Not smoking, using drugs (prescription or otherwise), all good.

Avoiding artificial flavors and colors, eating lots of natural home-cooked foods with antioxidant supplements, all good.

Coenzyme Q-10 and Univera products are worth looking into.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always get concern when someone says stop using prescription drugs. My son is bipolar and could be an epithetic. Not taking his meds could endanger his life. I take several meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. I watch my diet, but need help.

13. peachpower profile image61
    peachpowerposted 11 years ago

Eat right. Exercise regularly. Don't smoke. If you drink, do so in moderation. Control your weight.

You cannot control certain factors like your family history, but you can control your blood pressure, which has a significant bearing on heart disease. Hypertension is defined as a sustained blood pressure of 140/90, with sustained referring to separate occasions showing an elevation.

Eating right will help you maintain a healthy cholesterol level- the total needs to be under 200mg/dL. We need cholesterol to rebuild cell membranes in our bodies. Triglyceride level is dependent on age/sex, typically, the docs want that under 100. The docs also like to see LDL (bad) cholesterol under 100. HDL (good) cholesterol should be under 40 mg/dL for men and under 50 mg/dL for women.

One thing I would NOT recommend is just popping aspirin, unless you are under the care and/or supervision of a doctor.

Hope this was helpful smile

14. profile image0
    Domenick Dicceposted 11 years ago

When you get down to it the best thing for reducing a heart attack, stroke, cancer, dimension and etc is to eat right and exercise.

15. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Clearly all the advise given here are the best ways to reduce the risk.

But I am afraid that the best hands down clear answer is "get new biological parents". I am not suggesting fatalism here, but genetics play the largest role.
    All of the suggestions are great. But the single most important factor that we are in control of is attitude. If we change our attitude to regular meaningful excercise and grasp the concept that what we put into ourselves is a matter of respect for ourselves, the healthy lifestyle will follow and with it the best prevention.

16. Author Cheryl profile image80
    Author Cherylposted 11 years ago

But what some fail to realize is heart disease is hereditary and some no matter what they do it will still happen.  Taking care of your self is a priority but also having your doctor do the proper test are important.

17. rebeccamealey profile image91
    rebeccamealeyposted 11 years ago

I say regular check-ups with lab work for checking cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc. and keeping body mass numbers in check.

18. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

Lots and lots of exercise. And staying away from red meat (that includes pork btw, it's not really white meat).

19. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

I would say that eating smart, is one of the biggest factors in reducing a risk of a M.I, or heart attack. But also just as essential to that, is eating a well balanced diet, which consists of a good portion of fruits, nuts, legumes and fish.  And cutting back on the red meats and adding as mentioned ,more fish and nuts that contain a high amount of DHA, fatty fish oils, such as walnuts for example.

Also plenty of exercise is equally important in reducing M.I risks. Three times per week at least, for thirty minutes per day, is optimal for reducing cardiac morbidity and mortality.  And of course this could help with reducing weight and blood sugar levels, which are a big factor in placing a burden on the cardiovascular system.

And to add-cut out smoking all together, if you are a smoker. Smoking increases your risk of not only developing cancers, particularly lung cancer, but also dramatically increases your risk of heart attacks. Exercise in addition can reduce the overall anxiety and stress levels in our lives. Which is very difficult to avoid, in our society today.

Jlbowden

20. bradnel profile image57
    bradnelposted 11 years ago

Easy.... exercise regularly. Breakfast on quality cereals with fruit, eat low fat meats, lots of fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables and pulses such as beans. Do not drink sugar laden drinks such as coke and fanta and drink low amounts of beer and/or hard liquor. A good 8 hours sleep is healthy as well.
    No smoking...ever! and go easy on your salt intake.

1. Perspycacious profile image63
      Perspycaciousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No matter how many Hubbers finally comment on this question, this answer contains a summary of the good advice the question may receive.  (Loud applause for "bradnel"!  He knows what he is talking about, and you can take it to heart!)

21. Dr Pran Rangan profile image79
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 11 years ago

In view of the rising number of incidences of heart attacks, it is very important for everyone to know the ways to reduce its risks. They must be followed consistently.

# Acheive and maintain the standard weight for height and age.

# Control diabetes since diabetics are more prone to develop heart disease.

# Improve cholesterol levels. A diet low in cholesterol and saturated fat will lower the cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart attack.

# Control high blood pressure with healthy lifestyle choices and drugs if required.

# Perform regular exercise. A schedule of walking for 30 minutes at a moderate intensity most days of the week will reduce the risk. Even activities like gardening and household chores will also help. What is important is to increase the level physical activity.

# Eat heart healthy diet low in fat and cholesterol. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

# Manage stress and anger. Use stress and anger managent techniques to reduce the risk of heart attacks.

# Stop smoking since smokers have twice the risk of heart attacks than non-smokers.

Apart from the risk factors which we cannot control like age, sex, family history, race and ethnicity, the above are the ways to reduce the risk of heart attacks.

22. profile image47
    Marktwinsposted 11 years ago

1. Exercise: While meditation is exercise of the mind, excercise itself keeps the body muscles in shape. If heart muscles are strong, these will help it in preventing from any collapse. Heart muscles can be made stronger by practising breathing exercises.

2. Morning Walk: Morning walk helps the body, lungs and heart receive fresh oxygen which is very important for the blood to carry nutrients to the cells of the body. When these cells receive adequate amount of oxygen, it helps it to remain healthy.

3. Healthy Food habits: Avoid high cholesterol food and eat food with high fibre content. This will help keeping at bay bad cholesterol and gaining good cholesterol.

4. www.shop.com/Isotonix+reg+OPC+3+reg+-561800349-p+.xhtml

OPC3 and Vitamin C help you recovery and  feel much better!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)