Parents-do you require your children to take their plates to the kitchen when fi

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Parents-do you require your children to take their plates to the kitchen when finished eating?

Some parents pick the dishes up from the table; other parents teach their children at a young age to bring their dish to the kitchen, what do you do in your home?

2. pippap profile image79
    pippapposted 11 years ago

My children have both left home now; but, they used to carry their plates to the kitchen themselves.

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks pip pap.  Mine did too, at an early age, as do my grandkids-youngest being 4.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

It depended on the kind of meal, the age of the kids, and sometimes the circumstances.   

There were snacks at the table, individual meals someone may have at the table (like one kid eating breakfast when the other had gone to school earlier), and sit-down/family dinners and holiday dinners.

I taught them when they were toddlers that trash from meals/snacks always goes in the trash.  When they were little enough I'd get the plate.  When they were still fairly young they just automatically scraped and rinsed the dish and put it in the sink or dishwasher.  (Learned by example I, guess.)  I let everyone know that I wanted to wash the dishes, but washing a couple/few plates wasn't a big deal (and I didn't trust the cleanliness and soap-residue-less-ness" trusted to children).  One thing they would do when they were young-but-not-young-preschoolers was to leave the small, disposable, cups we used for between-meal drinks on the kitchen table.  They'd get rid of the rest of their snack or eaten-alone meal and leave a Dixie cup with, for example, juice in it on the table.  They did that with the idea that they're come back for the juice in a little while, or they'd sometimes leave empties with the idea that they'd come back to use it again.  (They'd already heard, "Let's not go through them like water," so they'd learned that much.)

With sit-down nightly dinner/holiday dinner, most often I didn't want them doing more than, maybe, getting rid of their paper napkin.  More formal/formal-ish dinners, to me, require one person to kind of be in charge of the table clean-up and leftover "management".  I suppose, at the back of my mind, I thought kids also need to learn how to just sit in and have a formal dinner without "everybody getting up and being a busy crowd" in the kitchen.  So with sit-down dinners, some kids (I only have three) would bring their plate out.  Others may.  It all "just depended".

After all awhile everyone got old enough to feel uncomfortable about leaving dirty dishes "for Mum", so they'd all just bring them out.  THAT, though, was when I often had to "un-teach" people that sometimes (especially holidays) I preferred that everyone just leave their dish, so I could "factor it into" the overall dish-clean-up effort and system I have in place (as that "one person in charge of the clean-up effort").  Somewhere along the way they just grew up to be people who wash their own dishes unless they're asked not to.  smile

No "formal" teaching, though.

Thanks Lisa for your thorough answer.  smile

4. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

My son is going to be 12 this 21st nov. We taught him to carry his plates to kitchen after he is done. Its a small way towards teaching him to do his won works as far as possible. Now he helps me with washing dishes as well and cleaning the dining table. Thanks

Yes, it is so important for children to participate in home duties.  It teaches responsibility and that what they do is an important contribution to the running of the household.  smile  Thanks.

5. Ruchira profile image74
    Ruchiraposted 11 years ago

Pick up the dishes and rinse the. And put in the dishwasher smile

Very good, Ruchira.  That's the way to train them to be responsible.  smile  Thanks.

6. profile image53
    yourdecisionposted 11 years ago

Depends on the plate I would say. If it's breakable I would pick it up myself, until they are old enough to be careful without me having to tell them to. If it's a plastic though, then I would require them to throw it away. Who am I kidding? My plates are everywhere, until it's time to do dish washing.

LOL    I love your honesty.  Hahaha.    Thanks for answering.

2. profile image53
      yourdecisionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, One can't deny himself forever. Can he?

7. grow in charity profile image69
    grow in charityposted 11 years ago

I do. We Pray before we eat, we talk about our day at the dinner table, and they ask to be excused. They take their plates to the kitchen. My children are 5 and 6. I think that starting the manners early will help them to form good habits for the future. I think it is nice to be at another persons house and have my child ask, "My I be excused?" and offer to clear the table. Children can never go wrong using manners, also, it teaches them the value of serving others when they help out.

Wonderful job grow in charity.  That is an important teaching as a parent.  Thanks for your input.  (my grandkids are 4 & 5 and do this as well.)

8. geetbhim profile image59
    geetbhimposted 11 years ago

I do expect from my children to pick up the plate from dinning table and put it on the sink.

Thanks geetbhim, for your comment.  smile

9. samnashy profile image70
    samnashyposted 11 years ago

Most of the time. The youngest are 5 and 6 years old.  They need a bit of prompting (especially the boy).  As much as I love them, I do not want to wait on them hand and foot.  As they get older I will introduce a few more chores into their daily lives, without over burdening them.  My 21 year old son still does his chores when he comes home from Uni, although he does try to get away with it for the first few days as he knows he can smile)

Thanks for your input, samnashy.  smile

10. J. Biaza profile image60
    J. Biazaposted 11 years ago

Yes, responsibility starts early.  Respect starts early.  Heck, setting the table was also done by the kids.  Meal time is family time. all in...

I agree!  Good points, J.  Thanks!

11. Mary Merriment profile image75
    Mary Merrimentposted 11 years ago

Yes. I believe it's important for kids to clean up after themselves. It may seem like a small task, but overall, it helps out in a big way. With any luck, it will also promote good habits for when they get their own place. Ultimately, over the course of their childhood years, we are slowly, but surely preparing them for their own adult lives.

I agree...very important.  Thanks!

12. Bettyoverstreet10 profile image67
    Bettyoverstreet10posted 11 years ago

May I answer as a grand mother? When young children are eating at my home I prefer their parent to take care of their dishes. I cringe when a child is told to put thier dish in the sink, which is too high and means they will probably drop it into the sink to be broken.  Of course, at my own home when I was raising my children, I taught them to help clean off the table after a meal when they were tall enough to reach the cabinets.

Thanks Betty, for your input.

13. snapbackbetty profile image63
    snapbackbettyposted 11 years ago

Yes and I also get them to clean the spot where they were sitting such as wipe the table and pick up anything big that may have been dropped on the floor. I think it helps them to be responsible for themselves and it also helps them learn to clean for when they have to be the one who cleans the kitchen.

That's true, thanks for your comments.

14. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image93
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

It depends on the dinner and honestly, my mood.  My daughter usually does it, but if she does not then I either remind her or just bring it in when I take mine in.  She does other things like set the table and carry food out.

Thanks Glimmer, for your input.  smile

15. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

My daughter was taught to pick up her own plate and take it to the kitchen.  I was taught to pick up my own plate and the plates of those around me as well. Everyone should do their share. It is a great learning opportunity, and all the burden isn't left to the parents.

Thanks-I agree...kids need to learn that their participation counts.  Thanks for your comments.

16. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

Yes, i taught my kids to put their plates in the kitchen after their meal are finished but they don't do it every time. Sometimes, they give excuses and rush upstairs and quickly say "Thank you, mommy! I love you!" before I could say anything.

That's funny!  Thanks peachpurple for your response.  smile

17. Jools99 profile image89
    Jools99posted 11 years ago

Yes Denise, I request it but it is often completely ignored.  I wish that I had demanded it from my daughter from an earlier age and by now, she would be used to it!  I believe she may be getting lazier as she gets older so I better stay fit!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)