What motivates you to purchase new books? Are there any common factors?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (27 posts)
  1. KBEvolve profile image68
    KBEvolveposted 11 years ago

What motivates you to purchase new books? Are there any common factors?

2. Born2care2001 profile image73
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

Hi KBEvolve,
    There are only a few factors for me. They are:
    1) What is the value to humanity in me reading this work?
    2) What can I learn that I can use to help someone else?
    3) Am I familiar with the author or the cause?

There are of course so many reasons and I cannot wait to see what others are saying. Great question? What is your answer?

KBEvolveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never expected that answer. You actually think about the value to mankind when you decide on reading a book? That amazes me.

I'm probably closer to your number 2. I want to be constantly improving myself so that I can help others.

3. DayLeeWriter profile image60
    DayLeeWriterposted 11 years ago

I purchase books on any topic I am interested if I can find a preview chapter to check it out. It is true that you cannot judge a book by its cover ( or title)!

I seldom pay attention to book reviews. I would rather approach it without any preconceived notions based on how others felt.

Currently I am reading motivational/ inspirational books
    Books on starting & marketing a freelance writing business
    and Appalachian Trail experiences

4. suziecat7 profile image77
    suziecat7posted 11 years ago

I tend to follow writers. If I like how they write, I'll read everything they've written. I also try to support women in the arts though I am not exclusive. Basically I'll read almost anything I get my hands on but I prefer great fiction and historical reading.

5. mactavers profile image90
    mactaversposted 11 years ago

Recommended by a friend, or reading a book review that interests me.

6. DeviousOne profile image66
    DeviousOneposted 11 years ago

It's about finding something that has lived through the ages. Can never go wrong with the classic pieces of literature. Recommendations from avid readers will generally be a good way to go. Ask a teen what they are interested in and it will generally differ from an older person. The more you read, the more you can appreciate good quality writing. It's not always about the genre, it's about the creativity and thought it brings to the reader. Applying a fictional story to the present and future just shows the thought and creativity levels of the author - their knowledge and their vision.

7. Anaydena profile image81
    Anaydenaposted 11 years ago

There are a few factors I take in before I read a book.

-What am I in the mood for to read?

-What's the genre I'm most interested at the time?

-Is it something that could possibly be reread?

-Is the cover engaging?

-Price. Cost. Denero. Mulah. Money. Yen. - The price - in other words.

Also... I'm not sure who else does this, but if its a book I'm unfamiliar with I'll read the last few pages to see if I want to get there. I saw it in the movie Alex & Emma, but I had been doing it for years thinking I was the only one... I guess no one's really original... But these are the basic factors I consider when purchasing a new book.

8. Aley Martin profile image66
    Aley Martinposted 11 years ago

I want to find new authors and ideas, but also like to spend time ruminating on topics of interest and finding new material to teach students!

9. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

The first thing which influences me to pick up a new book is the front cover. Then I read the back to see what the book is about and etc. But, the front cover is really what starts my interest.

KBEvolveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's actually quite interesting how much the front cover matters. I've bought a few books in the airport just because the cover caught my attention enough for me to read more about it.

10. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I tend to read online, so the thing that motivates me to purchase a new book is whether or not I think it will be beneficial to me over a long period of time and whether or not I can use it as an "offline" reference tool. I rarely read fiction and when I do, I pick up a book from the library. A new dictionary, recipe books, how-to books - I buy books like that, otherwise, I just read what I can online.

11. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I look for books that tell me stories on topics that I'm interested in, but I will jump on something with a crazy title. My favorite title of all time is The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by a guy named Robert Rankin. It turned out to be a great book and I've since read several of his others.

Some of my friends who have tastes similar to mine will recommend books to me and I've had a lot of success with that. I don't usually bother with reviews or best seller rankings, because my tastes usually don't jive with many other people's.

As far as covers, well, it is important. I've made covers for books so I know it can be a pain, especially if a writer is just getting started, but a using a bad cover is like wearing Spider Man pajamas to a job interview. something you just don't want to do.

12. teresapelka profile image78
    teresapelkaposted 11 years ago

I don't buy many books now; previously, I bought books I knew I'd feel like being back with. Many were resource books, like dictionaries, etc.

This would change the notion of a 'new book' a bit. Often, I would know the book and purchase it because I did not have it in my library. smile

1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
      cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the US, if a local library doesn't have a book, they can get it from another library through an inter-library loan. It's great.

2. teresapelka profile image78
      teresapelkaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@cloverleaffarm,

When I need a book, I need it 24. A library lend will not do. smile

My personal, private library had about 700 volumes.

13. Anil and Honey profile image60
    Anil and Honeyposted 11 years ago

Short stories Novels and poems my subjects. In purchasing I will look the 'author.' I don't read anything,

14. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

The single most powerful motivator for me is...cash in my pocket.  If I'm broke, I go back and reread "old stuff" I have at home and/or hit the free book exchange at one of our local restaurants.  If i'm feeling flush, then it's new book time.

15. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

I don't really purchase many books. I use my local library. If they don't have it in their collection, they can get it from another library in the state. If I read a book, that I happen to love, I may buy it. I usually shop library book sales for great deals.

16. Ratihegde profile image59
    Ratihegdeposted 11 years ago

the phase in my life ... right now i'm in the phase which pushes me to books on spirituality and philosophy. Of course the price of the book matters too.

17. daisydayz profile image84
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

I am a massive reader although I rarely read the 'chart' books. Often the deciding factor is if it is recommended by a friend, family or someone I link with on Goodreads. But a lot of my books are ones I just liked the look of in Charity shops. Sometimes I may decide to read an older book simply because I fancy it or because I have heard something about it at some point. For instance I heard they had re made the Carrie film, so decided I should read Carrie the book by Stephen King as I hadnt before and that led me to read Firestarter by him too, which I am currently 3/4 of the way through!

18. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

What enthralls me into buying that particular book is its unconventional style of writing. And of course, if I have a lot of cash in my pocket, and when all of my basic necessities are met, then buying a book wouldn't be a niggling problem.

19. jodeci profile image60
    jodeciposted 11 years ago

The availability of fund motivates me to purchase new books. I usually borrow books from the library. If a particular book that I read held my interest then I will buy the book when my funds become available.

20. Diana Lee profile image78
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

It depends on what interest me at the time. Lately I've been into reading western drama and biographies. Last year I was focused on dream interpretation and psychic mediums. I enjoy reading online, but paperbacks will never go out of style. One of my latest reads is THE BLACK HILLS by Rod Thompson. I am a Facebook friend of his and this is how I decided to by his book. His book is an action packed western drama. I wrote a review on hub pages for him.

21. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

If they are not a gift to someone, then I buy novels that are classics or on adventure. Usually, before I go on a trip I will pick up a book to keep me company during the down times and on the road as we travel.  Common factors?  Probably just enjoying a good book that adds to my life's values.

22. carol7777 profile image76
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I love mysteries and have favorite authors.  When one of the authors comes out with something new I check Amazon and kindle it.

23. TToombs08 profile image79
    TToombs08posted 11 years ago

Any form of bribery by the author works for me (usually in the form of a free book). Honestly, I will read anything that interests me, regardless of author, genre, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)