How can you strengthen your marriage relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Claudia Marie profile image63
    Claudia Marieposted 11 years ago

How can you strengthen your marriage relationship?

I feel that Communication is a core factor.

2. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

To make a simple choice of loving one another. Real, true love; not lust.
    When you truly choose to love another person, communication is easier, it is easier to trust and it is easier to give and gain respect.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good stuff, Brittles...you go girl!!! :0)

2. Claudia Marie profile image63
      Claudia Marieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true!

3. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that! Too many people are in relationships for the wrong reasons. Everything comes fairly naturally if it's real.

4. profile image0

Right on, Brittles!!! :0)

JamieD: I think you got it girl!!! When one chooses the right mate everything seems to come easy. The right mate should make one whole not make one work. It seems like work only to those couples who are not a good match.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

If a marriage seems in need of strengthening I really think it's important that people seek outside help when the issues still seem minor enough for them to think they don't need that help.  A whole lot of pulling away and damage can happen between the time the issues seem "like nothing" and the time it's clear they're not.

It takes work to have and keep a strong marriage, you can' leave anything to chance.

2. profile image0

Claudia: I think that marriage seems like work to those who choose the wrong mate. If two people are equally yoked and have leaved and cleaved and became one flesh as the Bible says, how can that be considered "work"? Wrong partner = lots of work.

4. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Dear Claudia Marie:

I think the best thing a person can do to strengthen their marriage is to take the time to make a wise decision during the selection process, i.e., dating and courtship. Too many people rush in ahead of good judgment and find themselves with an inferior mate (in thought, word and deed).

Another good thing you can do to strengthen your marriage besides making a wise marital choice in the very beginning, is to bring your own "A game" to the table. Too many married couples wait for the other to improve or to make the first move and in doing so, hold back themselves.

Moreover, it is always wise to be flexible with your spouse and not to have unrealistic expectations. It is also prudent if both parties adopt the attitude that they are not "in it...to win it", referring to squabbles and fights. If you really love someone, it should break your heart to see them lose anything...even a fight. If two are really "one flesh", then when one loses - they both lose. There are no solitary winners or losers in the game of marriage.

The bottom line is a strong marriage is one based upon selflessness, loyalty, dedication, affection, mutual respect, commitment, meaningful communication and true love. Let us just hope that the people we marry have what it takes to cope with the pressures of life. Truth is, the only way we can know a tree is by the fruit it bears. Therefore, we must be patient enough to examine the fruit before we buy it.

I have said all this just to come to this point: Your marriage will only be as strong as the materials that were used in its construction. There is no magic potion here - inferior materials lead to inferior structures. Sometimes two people just cannot make it work because they just don't have what it takes. Sad but true.

Lastly, a couple that spends quantity as well as quality time together will likely succeed, as well as the couple who prays together and shares the same Godly perspectives. The more one has in common with their spouse...the better their chances.

Remember: Opposites attract.......divorce attorneys. :0)

Great input, when God is the third person in your marriage, the marriage will be a happy one, because the couple will follow his guidance.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen! The number one cause for divorce is and always has been (selecting the wrong mate!). It's key to share the same values, want the same things, agree on how to obtain them, and feel MUTUAL love and respect for each other. Love the attorney line!

3. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great answers:)

4. ii3rittles profile image78
      ii3rittlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It comes down to mistaking lust... for love.

5. profile image0

Right you are Brittles! I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me they were "in love" or were in this super amazing relationship but have been screwing like rabbits all along. It just invalidates the whole thing...at least it does for me.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Don't assume communication will lead to action.
    Too often people will say they have a "communication problem" because they aren't getting what they asked for or wanted. Communication itself is nothing more than one person expressing an idea or thought and the other person acknowledging they heard what was said and understood. That's it!
    Very few couples have "communication problems". If you're not getting what you have asked for and have stressed it's importance, there are two potential reasons.
    1. They don't have it to give. (It's not who they are)
    2. They don't feel you are worth the effort to give it to.
    Generally speaking when two people are "in love' they want their mate to be happy. They look for ways to compromise or keep the peace. When it becomes more about "I" and "me" instead of "us" and "we" the relationship is in trouble. "I don't care what he wants...." (Not "caring" is a red flag). You have to decide if not getting what you "need" is a deal breaker?
    There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships: we either get what we want or we learn to be happy with what we have.
    There is no amount of "communication" or "work" that can overcome being with someone who does not want what you want. One man's opinion! :-)

Any relationship can be repaired if needed, attitude is important. Both parties have to we will to give, be unselfish and humble. There is a frustrating of plans when there is no confidential talk, good,
      positive communication is important .

2. profile image0

I agree with you, Dashing. I, too, think "communication" is probably not the main problem. Is it important? Of course it is, but I think its importance is overstated compared to more pressing issues. In my mind, self-centeredness is the main culprit.

6. floating mind profile image70
    floating mindposted 11 years ago

Communication is very important in any relationship.  But it is not the only thing.  When my marriage ended, it was not because we did NOT communicate.  We communicated very well. 

A marriage does need communication, this is true, just as much as it needs the work that BOTH of you must put into it to maintain the marriage.  This means you both have to work at it, you both must compromise, you both must reach some type of mutually acceptable agreement on all the various issues of marriage, including the need to communicate. 

Claudia Marie, in a comment you wrote to "dashingscorpio", you stated “Any relationship can be repaired if needed”.  Maybe another way of thinking about a relationship that needs repair is as follows:  “Any relationship can be repaired if BOTH parties agree to repair it.” 

Communications is important; but so are the wants, needs, and desires of the individuals that make up the couple.  These wants, needs, and desires can not be ignored.  When they are ignored, it can sometimes lead to devastating results for the relationship.

1. profile image0

Good stuff, FM! In my mind, a good marriage shouldn't require work. I hear couples talk ad naseum about how hard it is to maintain a marriage. Too many people choose the wrong mate and then labor in vain trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

You are right both parties have to be willing to repair the marriage, many marriages fail because one or the other party does not want to make it work.
      You have to be willing to forgive, and be humble. Blending lives is not easy, it can be done.

3. profile image0

Claudia:  You are right...it takes a committed husband and wife to make a marriage successful, but it only takes one to destroy it.

7. Lastheart profile image67
    Lastheartposted 11 years ago

I did not ask the question, but I sure do love the answers. How wonderful to know that there are people out there, somewhere, focused and not misled. God is the answer for all our existence issues. The Bible is the word of God; His love is so big and true that He guide us through His living words..Blessings to all!

1. profile image0

Well said and well done, Lastheart...I could not agree with you more. To God be the glory!!! :0)

Good thoughts, since God is the creator of marriage, bringing the man and women together as stated in the Bible book of Genesis, he is the one that can show us how to have a happy marriage, but here again both parties need to follow his direction.

8. mathira profile image77
    mathiraposted 11 years ago

Marriage involves emotions and when you care for the emotions of your spouse you can hope for happiness in you married life. Tolerance, overlooking faults, showing immense care and not taking your spouse for granted are all ways to strengthen your marriage.

Thanks for your comment about emotions, great input.

2. profile image0

Hope for Happiness? Many people hope for things in marriage and when they don't get it they become discouraged and depressed. In my mind one shouldn't hope for something when they can be assured of  it beforehand. Too many people rush into marriage.

9. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 10 years ago

In any relationship communication is key but trust is too. If you don't show respect for your partner that shows you don't care. To strengthen your relationship you got be there for each other and experience your time as one.

Claudia Marieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing your view point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)