If you had to give up one of your five senses, which would you choose?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (31 posts)
  1. DanaTeresa profile image78
    DanaTeresaposted 11 years ago

If you had to give up one of your five senses, which would you choose?

Would you rather give up sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell?
    Why did you choose as you did?

2. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Smell or taste. I would never want to lose my sight, hearing or touch. I have a very good sense of smell to the point where I annoy myself and others with comments. Haha! Also taste is nice to have, but I could do without if I had to.

DanaTeresaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

haha! nice answer!  i have a lousy sense of smell! I would give up taste. I am a bit of a food addict. I will eat just for the taste of it. I get a sort of high! Losing that might get me to finally drop a few pounds!

2. Sunshine625 profile image87
      Sunshine625posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That could be a good way to lose weight, but hopefully you don't lose your taste! smile

3. xstatic profile image60
      xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Sunshine got it right!

3. midget38 profile image85
    midget38posted 11 years ago

I would say smell. Losing that is a little easier to adjust to.

4. HLPhoenix profile image61
    HLPhoenixposted 11 years ago

What a provocative question... I've been thinking on it and as my vision and hearing are both starting to fail a bit already... I know for sure I never want to give either of them up. Touch, to be able to touch the ones you love, the earth to feel it crumble in your hands, to plant a flower... no I couldn't give up touch. Taste or smell? ...I've heard that if you can't smell your sense of taste diminishes as well, hummm... but my first sister-in-law just loved the taste of so many things but swore she had almost no sense of smell... not to taste a snowflake on your tongue... or a french fry with white vinager and gravey... awww, but I would be a lot thinner...: smile  Of course there are a lot of bad smells, but smell can warn you of danger too... shoot I'm writing a darn hub here... smell goes! French Fries Rule.

wow! what a thoughtful answer. i like your thought process. it is similar to mine. i think i would have picked smell if i wasn't practitally eating myself to death for the love of taste!

5. profile image0
    nikashi_designsposted 11 years ago

Without hesitation I would say smell which would more than likely affect taste. Couldn't image living without sight or touch.

smell seems to be a popular one. and yes, from what i know if you cannot smell you cannt taste quite as well.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i would give up the sense of taste. I don't mind if i couldn't figure out the taste coz every food that goes into my mouth goes out in the toilet every day. Waste of time!

7. Daisy Mariposa profile image73
    Daisy Mariposaposted 11 years ago

If I had to make such a choice, I would give up taste. When I smelled most foods I was eating, the memory of what the food tasted like would be triggered.

8. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

I would prefer to sacrifice Taste. Very interesting question so far. Thank you.

9. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

I wrote a poem about this very topic/question, and it's published here on HubPages. The title is "Dilemma."  It gives my answer and explains my reasoning.

10. wqaindia profile image38
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

Interesting question after a long period. Humorously speaking you could have added commonsense also. Thank God I have the commonsense to decide that I can do without smell. While passing through street I can smell what is being cooked and where. I will get rid of the temptation.

11. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

Honestly, i don't want to lose any of these senses, i really need and know the importance all of them. So i would like to lose my smell. It is little bit less important than sight, hearing, touch and taste.

12. josephbarrett profile image58
    josephbarrettposted 11 years ago

I would like to compromise with my smell sense, i don't know what is the reason but i think it is easy to give up with this sense.

13. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

I would have to also say taste or smell. The other senses seem too important when compared to tasting or smelling bad things.

14. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

That would be the sense of smell. Since, I have already lost it several years ago due to a traumatic event in which left me in ICU.

15. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

If I had a choice, I'd give up smell.  That choice might not be a good one, though.  What if the house were on fire??
    I get so annoyed when I sit next to someone wearing a heavy perfume, or if someone has bad breath!  OR:  if someone nearby does what we all have to do at times and it smells pretty bad!  My dog is bad to do this when we are sleeping together.

16. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

Well, believe it or not, I'm going to say hearing. Sight and touch are out of the question. I know most if not all answered taste or smell, and I probably would have answered the same way, but as it so happens, I saw a special on a celebrity who contracted a disease in which he lost the ability to taste. The program made me realize how much we depend on those senses, not for pleasure, but for survival. The individual mentioned ended up becoming extremely depressed, he became anorexic, and eventually committed suicide. I can only imagine that not being able to hear would be horrible, but I could survive. I could learn other means to communicate. I would miss laughter the most...but I would know that they were laughing as I enjoyed the anchovies on my pizza!

wow. awesome answer. i never thought it would be that awful to not be able to taste. hmmm. you have me wondering if i should reconsider my answer!

2. HLPhoenix profile image61
      HLPhoenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I realized after reading your choice Wayne, that we are all just thinking about this issue from a personal point of view... my dad is stone deaf lives far away and it is horrible not to be able to speak to him by phone.. complicated question...

3. Anna Haven profile image71
      Anna Havenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, I had never even thought about the importance of taste before reading your reply.

17. profile image52
    rameschgfposted 11 years ago

SENSES ARE FOUR-NOT FIVE-EYES FOR SEEING-NOSE FOR SMELLING-EARS FOR HEARING-TONGUE FOR TASTING-YOU DO NOT FEEL THROUGH SKIN-IN ACCIDENTS-SKIN IS GONE-INNER FLESH SHOWS UP-AND YET YOU FEEL PAIN-WHICH SENSE TO GIVE UP-?-HERE IS ANSWER-"-BETTER ENTER THE WORLD WITH ONE EYE-SINGLE EYE-THIRD EYE-ALL SEEING EYE-ALL KNOWING EYE-THAT SAVES YOU-THAN-ENTERING THE WORLD WITH TWO EYES THAT TAKE YOU TO PERDITION OR HELL-"-JESUS

18. penlady profile image61
    penladyposted 11 years ago

I would give up smell. I have a strong sense of smell, and a lot of things I smell do not smell good!

19. NicoleMessenger profile image60
    NicoleMessengerposted 11 years ago

I would without doubt say smell.. Yes , I would miss the smelling the roses or anything pleasant but no regards in bad and tasteless ones. Don't think I would function properly without sight, hearing, touch and taste. So, smell is the choice for me.

20. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I have a sister that is half deaf and is going blind. I think those two senses would be the worst to lose. If you couldn't touch, you'd be hurting yourself all the time. I'd have to say the sense of smell, although I've heard that is linked to taste. Without taste, we may never want to eat. That would be bad too.

21. Valorie Esquilona profile image60
    Valorie Esquilonaposted 11 years ago

I would give up my sight because I think I'm being blinded by the things that surround me and those things give me the ideology of what the standards of beauty are.  I want to appreciate the real beauty of life and people.  I want to see things which my eyes cannot see.

22. Maggie Bennett profile image61
    Maggie Bennettposted 11 years ago

I could live with out the sense of smell.....the others are necessary.

23. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

I would agree with most of your other answers and say smell. I think if you could still taste  food then it would still be appetising even without the tempting odours wafting up. Losing sight would be really difficult as I can't imagine not seeing my little people growing up and changing. Touch is another sense which would be hard to lose as I think that you would probably feel quite isolated and lonely, if you couldn't even feel a cuddle.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)