Is holding hands a lost art today, as a form of human connection?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Is holding hands a lost art today, as a form of human connection?

In other words, do you hold the hand of your loved one in public or maybe just walking together when no one is around, or in both instances?  I know that most will hold the hand of a child, but do you hold the hand of your love in this life?  My husband and I still hold hands.  One time, we were walking into a concert together holding hands, and the couples we were with, who were married too, thought it was so strange that we were still holding hands, even after being married for so long.  What do you think?

2. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Holding hands and gentle touching are wonderful. I do not think I ever visited someone in a hospital without holding their hand. I cannot remember attending church without holding someones hand. I have a 30 year old daughter and it seems to me that after hugs we usually hold hands just to connect. I also like arm in arm walking or standing.
    I would think most days include a hug and a hand hold with my wife of over ten years.
    For some odd reasons holding hands makes my pulse slower and my racing mind be more in the moment. Of course the best is holding hands with a 3 year old at the beach with the waves breaking at your feet.

Thanks this is a nice reminder to hold more hands and to treasure the memories of past hand holding.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh,Dearest Eric! What a very lovely answer here! Your answer places a big smile on my face this day. Yes, the gentle human touch is very calming!  I loved holding hands with my children, now my grands. Loved holding my mother's hand,and when praying.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not know the etiquette here. But my momma taught me to say thank you if someone did something nice to you. So Thank you. I am honored.

3. Faith Reaper profile image82

You're so welcome, as your answer covered all aspects of holding hands so lovingly from your heart.  All answers by others were great too, and I just had to pick your answer.

3. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I have had the same experience with friends who thought it was so cute. I think it's so normal. I wonder if it is becoming a lost art because the hands of our current generation are often full and holding a smartphone or an ipod.

Hi Jan, thanks for answering!  Well, our friends thought it strange, and we have been married forever!  LOL You have a very good point there about the constant holding of a smarthphone or ipod! Sad reality of the result of technology!

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image74
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

Oh, Faith Reaper... I love this question! I love holding hands... actions speak louder than words, don't they? Holding hands is like telling the person that you love that you want them right there with you, connected, hand in hand... 'let's go there together'! It also tells the world that you're in love and you're proud of it!
    I also love to see people holding hands. Every time I see this I am reminded that there is still love in the world!
    I think it's wonderful that you and your husband still hold hands! There's no reason to stop!

Aw, Dearest Cat, I knew you were one to love to hold hands!  All of your reasons stated here as to why you love to hold hands speak volumes! It truly does touch one's heart when one sees others holding hands, at least for me too! smile

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image74
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love to see a new couple, just starting their journey and falling in love... as much as I love to see a couple that has made it through so many years, the good and the bad and still have that kind of bond! It's just beautiful for so many reasons!

3. Faith Reaper profile image82

Yes, it is so very beautiful to me too!  Especially, when I see older couples in their 80s and 90s still holding hands, just makes me go "awwww" for I know of their lifetime of love, no doubt!!!  smile

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image74
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was very much in love for 5 years with someone and when we were 'new', I remember seeing a very old couple walking to their car, hand in hand, my boyfriend said 'That'll be us someday' and it meant a lot... just the thought of loving through it all

5. Sparklea profile image61
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Hi Faith, my husband, Dave, and I, still hold hands.  Even when doing an errand like going to Sam's Club or the grocery store.

The minute he walks through the door from working all day I greet him with a hug and a kiss.

When we dated, we always held hands.  It felt SO magical.  Still does.

There's just something about holding hands that makes me feel loved, cherished and safe.  I am sure children feel that way also when a parent holds his/her hand.

Sad to say I don't see it too much with young people today.  In my opinion, it's not a lost art, it's because the romance has been skipped.   Just my thoughts.

Blessings, Sparklea smile

Hi Sparklea!  I am not surprised one bit that you still hold hands, and the feelings you describe are so true!  I love seeing older couples in their 80s and 90s holding hands. It is so touching. Thanks for sharing this day!  Blessings, Faith Reaper

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

We don't typically hold hands. It seems childish. That's what teenagers do to try to feel like adults. If we do hold hands, I start staring at my husband to wonder what he's thinking. We usually just touch each other's arms, shoulders, or back. Little peck kissing happens every once in a while in public when someone does something cute, but no holding hands.

Hi Iburmaster, thanks for answering. Aw, on the holding hands part, but I am glad you show affection in other ways no doubt!  I have seen those in their 80s and 90s still holding hands.  I appreciate your honest answer and taking time to answer!

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image87
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess a peck is OK but I do not like to see kissing in public, I think that is a private matter and long drawn out kisses seem to be for show. I had a sister/ brother-in-law that lolly gagged in public and fought like cats and dogs any other time.

3. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like they had a strange relationship.

7. cleaner3 profile image71
    cleaner3posted 10 years ago

The simple things that connnect two people are rarely seen by others , usually in passing ...do they notice the twinkle in my eye... when I see my love.
    The smile on her face ,when I give her a flower... I picked from the neighbors garden.
    The softness of her tight  grip ...when she holds my hand ...and the warmness of my heart .. feeling her transfer.. the love she will forever hold  for me .. in the simplest of touch.

Oh, Dearest Micheal, I can always count on you to be so very poetic even when answering questions or commenting!  Your words are always beautifully written and a gift to all who read!  What beautiful sentiments you have expressed here. Thank you!!!

8. Jackie Lynnley profile image87
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

I think it is wonderful to see older married people still holding hands and showing affection. It just warms my heart to see a couple old and grey and still in love. It should happen to us all!

Hi Jackie, thanks for answering.  Well, we are getting close to being old and gray (I'm talking about me, not you)!  LOL  Seriously though, it is truly sweet to see, as it just shows of that lifetime of love together, at least to me too.

9. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

I guess it depends on the couple; whether they are still in love, or whether they are embarrassed. Personally, I still love holding my wife's hand. Every weekend we go to our favorite cafe for breakfast and as we cross the parking lot I take her hand. She has grown so accustomed to it that if she is holding something, she shifts it to her free hand so that she can hold mine. She is my soul-mate; why would I not want to hold her hand.

Hi Wayne, that is a good point about the couple!  I am happyto know you still love holding your wife's hand!  Aw now, so sweeeet, and a poet knows that is a good thing right there!!!  What lovely words here of you and your soul-mate. Indeed, why not!

10. MichelleHillstrom profile image61
    MichelleHillstromposted 10 years ago

I still love to hold hands with my significant other, when I am in a relationship that is. I also love the old-fashioned arm-link as well. I especially use the arm-link when in high-heels, a dress, or other fashion item that makes walking a little more difficult.

I think that it is great that you and your husband still hold hands. It is important to keep that passion alive in relationships. I think that it just comes down to each individuals preference and affection level. To meet it seems that the couples you were with have forgotten the importance of showing affection in small ways like holding hands.

My parents still hold hands when they walk together from the parking lot into stores or restaurants, and when they go for evening walks.

So, to answer your question, I do not think that holding hands is a lost form of communication, though I have not paid particular attention to hand holding in younger generations.

Hi MichelleHillstrom,  thanks for the great answer here, and I am happy to know you still love to hold hands.  Yes, you're right most likely concerning the other couples we were with at that concert.  Yes, it is very important to show affection.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How wonderful. I just reckon I do not pay attention. By golly jingles I do declare I just expect it.  How fun to let your sister hold your arm when she is all to the nines for your daughter. Hi hi hi hi hi. Ain't it fun lovin!!!?

11. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

A wonderful question holding hands is such a beautiful reminder of love and of feelings shared. It is normal for any couple to hold hands. Couples who don't hold hands have lost their touch along the way, and is a lost art for many today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)