What makes so many traditional and fundamentalist Christians so highly condemnin

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What makes so many traditional and fundamentalist Christians so highly condemning and condescending

of atheist and agnostic people? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8539787_f260.jpg

2. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

I understand why you may feel that about fundamentalist Christians, as I've had my share of it. But oftentimes it's because they really believe in their faith, and they have an entire narrative of the world in the Bible. But personally, I also find that atheists and agnostics are very condemning and condescending of people of faith. And this is also because of their strong belief in facts as opposed to faith. I guess it goes both ways.

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Behind "both ways" is ego. Ego wants to be right (first). Ego does not love. Ego is selfishness.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Let me ask you the same question gm. What makes atheists so highly condemning and condescending toward Christians? Ask a question on here about God, Jesus, or anything about Christianity and the atheists swarm.

1. bipolartist profile image78
      bipolartistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JThomp, I think the same can be said if a question is asked about atheists, paganism, new age, etc. To prove my point, you jumped in here without an answer to the original question, but a condemning, condescending, finger-pointing reflection.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jeff always do this, nothing new at all.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why... Thank you gm!!  smile

4. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JT, while I agree with what you're saying, I think it needs to be much broader: "EVERYBODY" gets fussy, condescending, condemning, and sometimes downright mean (you're never mean) when the topic of religion/non-religion comes up. Even you and me.

4. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

With some, they like an excuse to feel victimized. They have plenty of churches, no one tells them they can't believe whatever they want, but for some (not most) but for a handful, it is never enough.  They want to invade every aspect of society as though it was their sole right to determine the paths of others.  When people push back they claim they are being "victimized" by agnostics and atheists. Frankly, most reasonable moderate religious people do not condemn, but respect agnostics and atheists.  It might also be surprising to know that most of us who are atheist, not all, but most, are quite alright leaving the religious alone, if they return the same courtesy.

I think extremism is due to fear-based thought processes coupled with emotional immaturity that believes everything is "black or white".  They do not see the complexities of things and believe that their path is the only right one.   Their need to feel "special" in the eyes of God is what makes them feel the need to demonize or convert those who do not think like them.  It also makes them prone to blaming anyone who isn't like them for the ills of society.  They don't accept accountability and push everything they deem unacceptable off onto other groups of people.  Anything bad is because of "those people" etc.

I think a lot of it is a form of self-comfort. It's difficult to face ourselves and the sheer amount of things we cannot begin to understand about life with honesty and much easier to wrap oneself in a cloak of perceived "righteousness" and protection from some outside source that loves them because they are chosen etc.  Belief that you are on the right side of God and that there is a paradise or heaven etc. is a comfort for those who believe in that.

I don't care what anyone believes, but keep it to yourself unless asked - I don't understand why that is so difficult.  I feel no need to "deconvert" the religious.  I am quite certain I am right in my beliefs too - but I don't need to be right at other people's expense.  We are all here to follow our own paths in our own ways.  Mutual respect is the goal of most people, but there will always be those loud, vocal few on both ends of the spectrum that have to fight each other and can't just live and let live.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84

Great answer, as usual ChristinS! I totally agree with your logical reasoning and arguments!

5. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 10 years ago

"What makes so many traditional and fundamentalist Christians so highly condemning and condescending?"
    I trust you are just trying to be provocative by asking that question GM because if one were really to believe that "so many" "traditional and fundamentalist Christians" are highly condemning and condescending I'd have to say that question reveals more about the asker than any answer it sought.
    To paint any one religious group with a broad brush, as your question implies, is in itself highly condemning and condescending, especially when no one who asks such a question would likely have known enough traditional and fundamentalist Christians to justify having the opinion that "so many" are .... There are a myriad of groups that consider themselves  traditional and fundamentalist Christians, many of which are actually cults. I for one have known many truely traditional and fundamentalist Christians and have found much more than "so many" to be the opposite of the way your question describes them, but still I have not known enough to say there aren't any who are condescending. Those two terms are also very subjective - two people could simply disagree on the truth and one may take it as being condemning or condescending when really the other is just sticking to their guns.
    So the answer to your question is most likely that when you say "so many" you are simply describing a fact of humanity - you could ask the question why are there so many people who are so highly condemning and condescending? ...period.

1. lone77star profile image73

Good points. Generalities do not help, because they are frequently inaccurate. But sometimes (often?) "sticking to one's guns" is pure ego. Only with humility (the opposite of ego) can a person ever learn.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

All the answers are excellent and  thought provoking.  Keep up the responses.

7. Travis Kaoulla profile image60
    Travis Kaoullaposted 10 years ago

Christin S, your answer applies to all groups who have something to gain from popularity with the majority. Religious extremists, gay rights activists, feminists, etc., can all be described with your answer.

1. ChristinS profile image41
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. Gay rights activists and feminists have nothing to do with this question, they are separate issues.

2. Travis Kaoulla profile image60
      Travis Kaoullaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"With some, they like an excuse to feel victimized." Your very first line summarizes the condition of the modern feminist.

3. ChristinS profile image41
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not going to be baited into an argument on feminism on an unrelated question. I suggest some study of the history of women's rights and what women have endured to have them though.

4. Travis Kaoulla profile image60
      Travis Kaoullaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it means anything to you I would have kept it civil! I may have my grievances with contemporary feminist movements, but we are all human. Naturally, I am an ardent believer of civil discourse.

5. grand old lady profile image84
      grand old ladyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If I may note, Mr. Travis Kaoulla is commenting on the ANSWER that Christin S. gave. Christin S. is responding by referring to the QUESTION. This is why there is confusion in the conversation.

6. solarcaptain profile image61
      solarcaptainposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fundamentalists have hardly suffered persecution of the type seen with gays and women.  It's like comparing apples and peanuts.

8. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

i dont really know. i think you can ask this of almost any group. everybody believes they are right in their convictions, whatever they may be, or why else would the believe them? then there are people in every group who do seem to take things to the extreme. i also think people are a little to sensitive these days as well. if you say you believe something is wrong and give reasons for it, people accuse you of being judgmental and condemning them. That might not always be the case. when you may simply be stating a belief or maybe even trying the warn the person of a dangerous or harmful path, which also seems to be frowned upon these days.

Good perspective--stating a belief or warning rather than necessarily condemning/judging. I like the way you phrased your answer, christiananrkist! Very open-minded, unlike many.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

While I'm a firm atheist, I have to agree with some of the theist comments on here. When one is condemning or condescending, it is the fault of the individual, not their system of beliefs. This is something I constantly try to remind myself when I get frustrated with someone on the other end of the spectrum. The sentence should never go "That guy is a jerk because he's Christian" or "That guy is a jerk because he's an atheist". Rather, the sentence should always read "That guy is a jerk." At which point we should just walk away.

Perhaps an argument could be made that certain religions attract certain kinds of people, but I think it just comes back to extremists being the loudest. A group of five people screaming is going to be louder than a crowd saying nothing. And that's the explanation. The majority of Christians and atheists in this country mostly remain silent, leaving the obsessed to dominate the debate. While it's sad and misrepresents all of us, it will probably never change. I'm not saying that to be cynical, I'm saying it because the moderates out there don't want to deal with the stress of arguing. The secret to life is finding peace, love and forgiveness, and none of that can be located in a screaming match.

I am a believer of God myself.  I am a New Ager.  I was not addressing all religious people.  There are religionists who are very liberal, open-minded & accepting of other beliefs. I was only addressing the more dogmatically minded religionists.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough. Though my answer would probably remain the same. Those who are condemning and condescending are just jerks not worth our time.

3. lone77star profile image73

MT, beautifully put. Jesus told his followers to walk away if someone does not accept the message. The problem is ego. His mission was to get rid of ego; but some follow ego instead of Christ. Love is the answer. A good name for ego is "jerk."

4. Laura Schneider profile image84

Very well said, M. T. Dremer! I love your anti-prejudice message of ending the sentence before placing a labeling the individual, "That guy is a jerk." Period. That philosophy can be applied to sooo many cases in addition to just religion. Cheers!

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do away with the Ego? Ego is a person's sense of self-esteem and is needed  We are to love others as we love ourselves  It is the Id the primary animal impulses we are to subdue not the ego

10. CraftytotheCore profile image76
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I have been a Christian most of my life, saved at age 7.

There are a lot of people that I know in my own personal life that call themselves Christians but are unforgiving, unloving, antagonistic, chastising, and judgmental.  They feel self-righteous.  Throughout the Bible the message is clear.  Here is one verse.  1 John 3:11...For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 

I believe God is gracious.  Yet we rarely see people applying grace to others in the same way they receive it...freely. 

So what I believe is that we are all people.  We all have the capacity to do good and bad.  But most importantly, if we say we are Christians, it's a personal responsibility we have to show each other love.  It's the greatest gift we've ever received.

CraftytotheCore, I totally agree with you, too: like ChristinS., you are both logically and factually correct. I, too, primarily meet un-Christian-like Christians, though I have been honored to know several true ones who DO always love others.

11. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The same reason that so many scientists are so highly condemning and condescending. Or government officials. Or Wall Street psychopaths (gimme another bail out, or else!).

It all comes back to ego. Ego is the heart of selfishness and separateness. Ego may lusts, but never love. Ego may blame self, but will never take responsibility. Ego may even be suicidal, but never humble.

Ego craves being right (first). If you're a Christian, then you've likely heard Jesus talk about those who are "first." They will end up being last. Those who are last (humble), will end up being first. Ego is spiritual blindness. Seeing without human eyes is easy without ego. Thinking without the human brain is also easy, when ego is obliterated.

Every evil in the world originates with ego. Imagine that. Get rid of ego and we have peace on Earth. We have a veritable heaven. And that's what Christ's mission was all about -- subduing ego. Fundamentalists who thump their own ego by being condemning and condescending are betraying their creed. They are following ego rather than Christ. Pity.

But it's just as sad to see scientists -- grown men and women who should know better -- acting like spoiled brats, ridiculing other scientists because they dug in places that the indignant know won't produce results. Such happened with the "Clovis first" dogma. Careers were threatened if they dug below the Clovis horizon. Similar insanities happened with cold fusion, arsenic-loving microbes found by NASA scientists, Amazon warriors found in the burial kurgans of Southern Russia, and even in Plato's lost island Atlantis.

Ego is not restricted to one religious group. It seeps into every aspect of civilization. The best thing we can do is to shine a light on it so others can see it for what it is, and to walk away from the source if it remains unresponsive. And, even better, recognize your own ego when it rears its ugly head. Awareness is crucial. Cordially highlighting the obvious can help. But we need to be careful that we don't fall into the same trap.

Love is the real answer. And humility is the antidote to ego.

Wow! Powerful answer, lone77star! I am humbled at your logic; enlightened, too. I'll re-read this answer many times. I come from the science end of the spectrum, but have room for the spiritual, too. Totally agree with your last line: prophetic!

2. clairewait profile image70
      clairewaitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As if it is only the Christians who are condemning and condescending. It is a human problem, right? It just seems like Christians are an easy target for categorizing purposes.

12. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

I think this holds true for any religion, not just Christianity. The reason is because these people believe what they do because they are taught that doing so is the right thing to do to be a good person, rather than because of any personal benefit they get from it. That means they think that anyone who doesn't believe the same as them is not doing the right thing and is therefore not being a good person.

You're right! In church and Sunday school that's what I was taught--further, it was my Christian DUTY to straighten out such "bad" people by enlightening them to Christianity. I never believed or did that, though--it's disrespectful to others!

13. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 10 years ago

Brainwashing. That about sums it up. Most are taught to believe that they are separate from the 'world,' better than the "world," and that it is their duty and responsibility to evangelize said world. It's more of a psychological mind control than anything, in my opinion. I say that because I was one of those people. never again.

That's what they tried to teach me as a kid, too. I never bought it, thank goodness for everyone! I think it's rude, egotistical, and immoral to think others should believe as you do OR ELSE. ... "never again"--you broke the cycle! Smart--thank you!

14. solarcaptain profile image61
    solarcaptainposted 10 years ago

However you coat their pills, they are difficult to swallow. Most people can accept some extremism for awhile but it seems to embolden the extremist view when more moderate people accept them because they are Christian, even though the similarities between the two are not even close.  My take is that there are some pretty extremist folks in most if not all religions.
    Do we give these people license by being quiet or do we give them license by broadcasting their views, no matter how extreme?  These religions spring from the heart of small town Southern and Midwestern values that elevate the Bible to primary oracle for how to run the country, how to live, and how to get into Heaven.
    Of course for many this raises the paradoxical question:  Can we really be a constitutional country that believes in the separation of church and state and apply Biblical admonitions to the complexities of modern life?  Are we a secular or a religious state?
    Fundamentalists raise their banner to God, and like the proverbial politician who wraps himself in a flag, the prospect of saying no to either of the above choices may get the one who says no into deep trouble.  Most Christians today I think want their religion in a more modulated form without the hollering and sermons of hellfire and damnation.  The expectation for most Christians is that most people are good.  The expectation for others is we are all bad.

15. 1kmjs profile image62
    1kmjsposted 10 years ago

I would venture to think that they view an Atheist or an Agnostic as being a person whom doesn't have to go through the sacrifices that they do. The words in my heart say that any highly condescending or condemning person will relinquish anger and disdain when they fear. Maybe fearing for the life of the person who doesn't believe....or.....they fear that the sacrifices they go through every day, and their beliefs, are in jeopardy. But bottom lining it...It's pride.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.

This is another excellent answer!

16. John of the Cross profile image59
    John of the Crossposted 10 years ago

Pride. We see through the glass darkly, and many cannot see the central message of Christ: Love God. Love your neighbor. All of the Law are summed up in these.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)