Do you have any natural remedy ideas for soothing itchy ear canals?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

Do you have any natural remedy ideas for soothing itchy ear canals?

When my seasonal allergies act up (as they are now) my allergy medication stops the most annoying of symptoms. However, nothing I've tried or been prescribed relieves the accompanying itchiness and occasional burning I experience in my ear canals. I'd appreciate any home remedies or natural relief suggestions, thanks much!

2. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 9 years ago

I have read several places that a drop of olive oil helps an itchy ear.  I remember my mom using a drop of mineral oil followed by blowing warm air from a blow dryer in her ear to loosen wax and soothe the irritating feeling it caused.

bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Diana Lee, I've tried the oil by itself with no help, but will try it with the blow dryer. Thanks much - and if it works I'll let you know!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Do NOT stick Q-tips (or any foreign substance) inside of your ear. I use my finger tip and close my ear lobe and 'scratch' with pressure of my finger. If the itch returns, I do it again. It usually lasts for a while. (Not the itch.)

I have tried that, thanks. But no help so far sad

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh well.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I have horrible allergies that include my ears as well. I like to put a bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball and rub it on the inside. It seems to soothe it for at least a little while. I also find humming to work. Something about the vibration gives temporary relief.

Thanks much peeples - I will be on the lookout for coconut oil!

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

It is in the supermarket on the aisle with regular oils/condiments.

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep and if it doesn't work it has a ton of other uses so you won't be wasting your money.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60

One of which is getting rid of spiders.

5. bethperry profile image83

Getting rid of spiders? Tell me more!!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image60

You have to melt it (probably have to do that with the ears to, and let it cool) and then for the spiders put it in a spray bottle. I think it was with water. I had gotten that from a natural bug removal site a while ago.

7. bethperry profile image83

The Examiner-1, thanks much for the details. I will try this.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60

You are welcome Beth. You should see what my kitchen looks like to get rid of the bugs. LOL

9. Moon Daisy profile image80
      Moon Daisyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't think you'd have to melt and cool coconut oil to put it in your ear.  I would just take a small blob of it and put it in your ear, keeping your head on the side for a few moments.  The heat of your skin would melt the  oil.

5. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8987879_f260.jpg

"itching" is usually a sign of infection. If its been checked by a Dr. and not one, the usual remedy among natural doctors is olive leaf extract. Purchase in liquid form, warm in a cup of warm water. A couple of drops in each ear usually works like a charm. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info!

6. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 9 years ago

I would recommend vinegar for almost anything.  Whenever I have itchy eczema, for instance, I dab vinegar on it a few times a day and it dries it up and goes away in a couple of days.  Apple cider vinegar is usually recommended but I find that cheap red wine vinegar does the job just as well.  Perhaps try a couple of drops in your ear.

7. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Quercetin might help a bit.  I take it regularly throughout the allergy season.  It relieves all my symptoms without the need to knock myself out with Benadryl.  If you take this, get a blend mixed with bromelain as it absorbs better and works faster.  Relief usually happens for me within 30 minutes or so and it lasts for several hours. I don't know positively if it will help with ears - it helps with dry eyes, sneezing and I get an itchy face and it gets rid of that.  I rarely get the ear problems - but I think it could be worth trying and it's quite reasonably priced on Amazon.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Beth,
      Did you see Kathleen Odenthal's Hub about curing allergies naturally? Try curing your allergies.

8. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

First find out why there is a burning sensation -- is it an ear infection? When I get itchy ear canals, it is from wax build up. I use light extra virgin olive oil for the itchiness. I put a clean towel on my table, along with a cotton swab and a few cotton balls. I pour a little olive oil in a small saucer and place one end of the cotton swab in the oil. I lay my head on the towel, with the itchy ear up and take the oil soaked swab and hold it over my ear canal (never insert a swab into the ear) and press the swab against the opening of the canal to squeeze out the oil and let it drift down into the canal. Wipe away any excess oil on your ear with a cotton ball, then use another cotton ball as a ear plug.  Leave the cotton ball in overnight and in the morning remove it and with a clean swab or cotton ball wipe out the ear. I repeat thsi every night till the itchiness stops. Usually it only takes one or two treatments and works well for me. This allows the oil to soften the wax so it will flow out overnight.

Edit: PS: this will also help if the itchiness is caused by dry skin, or psoriasis.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to add: if it is an ear infection that is causing the itchiness, try hot onion packs. Saute the onions and wrap them in a towel. Place the hot pack over the ear for at least half and hour.  My Dad used to do this and it really helped.

2. bethperry profile image83

No, not yet. But I do get infections often in my ears (I was born with extremely small tubes). Thanks for the suggestions!

9. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 9 years ago

Well, Beth, those are some mighty fine remedies for your itchy ears. Read all of them and learned some good stuff. Surely you've tried this, but just in case, how about sticking a finger in your itchy ear and vibrating it like a jack hammer. Works every time here. But your situation seems to be different so very good luck with it.smile

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

You win, Alastar -- that is the oldest "home remedy" in history. LOL

2. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's as bad as you'll ever see me, Phyllis, you beautiful woman! Alastar for once got a big head and thought he was a good writer! But, the sentiment was real, really.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

You so bad, Alastar -- but, we all slip once in awhile. hahaha . Bless your heart you dear sweet man. Yes, the sentiment is sincere.

4. bethperry profile image83

Alastar, oh yeah. I've had ear problems all my life. But I WISH a simple scratch would do it!

10. travmaj profile image74
    travmajposted 9 years ago

Hi Bethperry - this is not an answer to you ear problem, more a thank you for posing the question. I have the same problem and am tired of the prescription ointment that doesn't work. Will try the therapies below for sure. Thank you again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)