Do you believe that calling someone fat will make them loose weight ?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (119 posts)
  1. loveofnight profile image76
    loveofnightposted 9 years ago

Do you believe that calling someone fat will make them loose weight ?

Ugly words have never encouraged me...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9131083_f260.jpg

2. teamrn profile image60
    teamrnposted 9 years ago

Only to the extent that calling someone 'fat' makes that person WANT to lose weight. The motivation to lose weight must come from within.

loveofnightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i totally agree, they must want to first !

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

NO!! It is VERY rude and only hurts the person's feelings in which probably makes them want to escape and eat more. Alcohol and drugs are used by many, food is used by many also to cope.

i believe that it has pushed over weight people in the direction of being more abusive to themselves than help them.

2. Penny G profile image60
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JTomp42 Glad I'm glad for decent humans left with feelings, care and compassion. What comes around goes around and it works both ways. There will always be an issue that will effect people, and then they'll be looking for understanding and acceptance

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Losing weight is a personal choice and the motivation to be healthy and to treat one's body with respect must come from within. I do not believe in fat shaming anyone - but I also see a trend in society to normalize it and that's a slippery slope also. 

Obesity/Overweight lead to a reduced quality of life and cause numerous health problems.  While I would love to see everyone feel the energy, bliss and confidence that comes with improving their health; I know that cruelty is not the best way to motivate people.  That being said, the only person who controls you (collective you here) is you.  If you don't like something about yourself - you alone have the power to change it or make excuses not to. 

I've been on both sides of this, losing 60 pounds previously and taking off 20 again currently.  It's all about empowering ourselves. If someone says something mean and you turn it around and make it into a positive that's a good thing for you.  It isn't about "them" then, it's all about what you chose to do despite them.   I don't believe in being a victim to bullies.  What I do or don't do is on me.

i agree with you, being in a relationship with a partner who needs to loose at least 60 pounds more for health than anything else i have learned how to encourage not judge. some people have battled weight all their lives.

5. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Oh course not if that was the case people would call themselves fat and presto chango they'd be thin. Helping someone who is overweight is really up to them first of all. Then they must seek information and assistance to help them achieve their goal. Name calling, hurtful comments, degrading them and shaming them is an uneducated, uninformed, closed minded tactic.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said!!

2. loveofnight profile image76

i see it as another form of discrimination...

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Obese people (with no medical reason) cause themselves many unnecessary health problems and drive up healthcare costs for everyone else. That's not exactly "fair" for the rest of us...

6. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

I can't see how name-calling can compel an overweight individual to lose pounds any more than calling a thin person "Skeletor" would compel them to gain weight. The only "benefit" to name-calling is the momentary sadistic pleasure it provides the rude person doing it.

being called skinny all my life had set me on an ugly path in my youth, only years and wisdom helped me survive it

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Well said, Beth.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

I like the responses left by the other members and I agree with them. I'd also say that sometimes making fun of a person's weight could have the opposite effect and they gain more weight. If they're trying to lose or at least maintain their current weight and people are always making fun of them, it may make them feel hopeless and, if they're the type of person to turn to food for "comfort", they may actually gain weight.

more often than not the judgement makes them gain more.

2. Penny G profile image60

What we may be forgetting is the depth at which weight problems come form. Mental illness at no matter what level effects us physically. Emotions fall under that title. Getting to the bottom of these is a big first step, by a qualified individual.

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Penny: You make a very good point.

8. Rodricklewis profile image40
    Rodricklewisposted 9 years ago

No, but does a fat person not know they're fat. It's not something we should laugh at yet we can ask the same about is calling some one skinny going to help them gain weight. Maybe these people your talking about don't want help and they're happy the way they are.

i agree,, i have met some full figured people who are pleased within their own skin, it is others who have the problem with it

9. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 9 years ago

Not necessarily. I believe someone will lose weight when they realize that how they are living is threatening their health and causing unnecessary strain on others. If neither of these things concern a person, they will probably remain as they are.

I don't think it's anybody's right to tell you how "obese" you can be. It's your body and your responsibility. However, I do not think it's right for others to suffer for your choices either. If someone chooses to remain morbidly obese, they should bear the consequences of that decision, including healthcare costs.

1. Penny G profile image60

Health care for drug addiction, smoking side effects, alcoholism, people involved in dangerous extreme sports at high risk for injury, people choosing to avoid health care until desperately needed,causing more expensive treatments hurt us all as well

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59

You're right, Penny. All these things including obesity can have a negative effect on the rest of us and they all have one thing in common---they are personal choices. They should be responsible for their choices.

3. teamrn profile image60
      teamrnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You'd be surprised at the number of fat folks who know that being obese isn't healthy. They'd lose if they could. For some, it isn't a choice they make.

4. teamrn profile image60

What about people who are physically incapable of losing.  Disease has stricken other parts of their body rendering them incapable of the weight loss they desire. Would you condemn them to higher healthcare costs; how about 'DESPITE REPEATED TRIALS

10. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I'm sorry, but after reading these answers I guess I'm the mean person. I think it is ridiculous that seriously over weight people are starting to become a protected group of people. I think it is outrageous that we now seem to think the person who calls them a fat person is a "bully". I find it bizarre that an airline can be sued for making a person, who clearly takes up two seats, pay for two seats! Should we go around screaming "you're fat" to every fat person we see? Well of course not, but it would help if we stopped "pussy footing" around the issue and made it clear that people are responsible for their selves. Don't like shopping at the big store? Lose weight! Don't like paying for two seats? Lose weight! Love being big? Then stay big and happy, but don't be surprised or get your feelings hurt when people call it like they see it. There is nothing good about being over weight! NOTHING! No matter how happy someone might be in their own shell!

1. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Lol...that made me smile.   smile   You are right, peeples.

2. profile image0

Wow peeples..... I would think you would have more compassion? What if someone has thyroid problems and cannot control their weight? Like I said in my answer.. many are addicted to drugs and alcohol.. some food. They ALL need HELP.

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hypothyroidism occurs in only 1.5 to 2% of women and doesn't always cause weight issues, I have it. As for addiction, we put warnings on beer and cigs, and shame the majority of other addicts. What the difference in doing it to them?

4. profile image0

It is actually around 5% for all Americans ages 12 and up. Regardless, NONE of these people are throw away people. They all have feelings and dreams for the future. They also need positive forces in their lives to want to get better. God help them AL

5. peeples profile image93

I didn't say they were throw away ppl or that we should go out branding them or anything because of it, but we shouldn't act like it's ok. It's not. If someone wants to be fat that's fine but society shouldn't accept it like it's fine.

6. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Unfortunately JThomp, you are misrepresenting what peeples wrote. No one is picking on people with legitimate health problems that cause weight gain. No one is saying they are worthlesss. Most of them CAN change their ways.

7. profile image0

Agreed Robert..... but as with any addiction there is of course denial, acceptation, then action. I do not think ugly words are of any help to anyone.

8. Robert the Bruce profile image59

I can agree with that. Instead of yelling names at an obese person, people should use more reasonable means to help.

9. teamrn profile image60

Agreed. There are those who have metabolic or other problems beyond their control. I think what many people are saying is that unless people want to fix a problem, then, all the external  assistance we provide them will not ''fix' their problem.

10. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peeples and Robert . Everyone chooses their "drug" of choice, and everyone is broken in one way or another, even the both of you--for pointing your self-righteous, cruel, & indecent  fingers at a group of people you know nothing about. Disgusting

11. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Feel better, Savvy?   :-)

12. peeples profile image93

You proved my point savy. I'm self righteous for saying they shouldn't be told what they are doing is ok? No! I'm honest. I have my own faults and I have no problem owning it. I smoke, I'm belittled by nonsmokers and it doesn't hurt my feelings.

13. profile image0

The question is not whether it is good to be obese. I am telling you that fat people are human beings and should be treated as sucjh. Rude people always say they're honest as an excuse to be cruel. Frankly, smoking is the least of your faults, P.

14. peeples profile image93

Did you miss the whole part of my answer where I said we SHOULDN'T call them fat? Did you selectively pick over that? People who are fat need reminders it is not okay, like my cig warnings on the side of the pack. Sorry if you missed the point!

15. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Savvy, I think you should take a look at this hub...it may help you:

http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … m-your-Ass

16. profile image0

"I think it is outrageous that we now seem to think the person who calls them a fat person is a "bully" Your words. The point is your lack compassion for fat people.

17. peeples profile image93

Do you have compassion for me because I smoke, what about the crackhead who kills someone trying to get money for their fix? I have compassion, my mom was 5ft and 340lbs. It still shouldn't be a protected class and it isn't ok to be fat. It's suicide

18. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow peeples, apparently people can't manage to disagree with you without becoming nasty and attacking you - how ironic and I bet they don't see the irony of their actions.

19. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Good observation as usual, Christin. I don't think Savvy has had time to read this self-help hub that I have linked: 

http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … m-your-Ass

20. teamrn profile image60

Robert the Bruce, I give you credit for saying what you say and OWNING IT.  holding on to it and telling us yourr feelings. PPL should be more forthcoming about feelings and rights like that. But speaking of rights,Youo smoke, don't I have rights
      ?

21. mikejhca profile image92
      mikejhcaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you peeples.  People have a habit of ignoring problems. It is easier to pretend that nothing is wrong. That way you don't need to do anything. I call fat people fat because I am willing to help. Other people don't want to bother.

22. peeples profile image93

I want to make it clear in case it wasn't, I don't promote going around being mean to fat people. I just don't think we need to get all PC and end up ignoring the issue.

23. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

peeples, Looks like you started a big chain here! :-) I would assume people know you're not advocating being (mean or abusive) towards overweight people. Most people keep their thoughts to themselves or share with others. They don't attack her/him

24. profile image0

peeples, fat people already know they're fat & they're not happy about it. They don't need you to be the fat police. It's hurtful. As for Christin, dashing, and Robert, I'm not impressed. I gave you a taste of your own medicine. Didn't help, did

25. peeples profile image93

Dashing, I'm not sure they did understand and it's quite obvious at least one or two didn't.

26. dashingscorpio profile image80

savvydating, Some people get so caught up in topics they attack people for not agreeing with them. I wasn't attempting to "impress" anyone. I said most people keep their thoughts to themselves and don't insult people; fat, skinny, hair color, tats

27. profile image0

dashing said, "Most people keep their thoughts to themselves or share with others." peeples stated, "Love being big? ....don't be surprised or get your feelings hurt when people call it like they see it." Not exactly keeping her thoughts private

28. peeples profile image93

I responded to a question! Do I go out in public telling fat people they are fat? NOOO! I happened to be honest in a Q&A. Do you really believe I go out in public being cruel to fat ppl? Even in this Q&A I didn't directly say anything mean ab

29. dashingscorpio profile image80

savvydating, No where did I see anything Peoples wrote to indicate she runs down the street yelling FAT to every overweight person she sees. She shared here internal thoughts on the topic. I believe we're all (silently) judged by others upon sight

30. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Teamrn, to answer your question, I don't smoke but I believe that people have a right to smoke if they so choose. But I also believe that people have the right to clean air around them. Therefore, smokers should be considerate of others.

31. teamrn profile image60

While not letting being overweight become the norm, we need to be accepting of the person who is physically incapable of doing the exercise needed to prevent being overweight, even if they taped their mouth closed. Not as simple as 'LOSE WEIGHT!'.

32. profile image0
      Pastor Wolfeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow as a guru I must say that you are clearly misguided and have issues with hidden agendas! Just because someone is fat doesn't mean they are any different than the rest, most people take medication that cause weight gain, even disorders gain it!

11. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 9 years ago

Calling someone fat will only send them to the nearest bakery to buy cupcakes. The person doing the name calling is the one who needs to lose the foul odor coming from his big mouth.

Thanks for your human answer.

2. profile image0

You are welcome. Furthermore, I would tell them that to their face, without hesitation.

3. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Amen Savvy!

4. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Norine. The prejudice and bullying of fat people is unacceptable.  Period.

12. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Words rarely make one "change" unless (they) want to make changes and they somehow find those words to be motivational.
    More often than not when someone calls another person fat, ugly, or whatever they're not doing it under the guise of trying to "help".
    Some people keep their thoughts and opinions to themselves and others verbalize with intent to hurt someone's feelings or make others around them laugh.
    Having said that there are instances of some (parents) who call themselves offering "tough love" tactics to get their children to change. I've also seen instances on daytime talk shows where men and women who were put down in high school for whatever reason step out on stage blow away all of their peers with how great they look or how successful they've become. Some people do use adversity or anger to propel them in life.
    However overall no one who loves you will constantly call you fat.

13. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 9 years ago

I don't believe that calling someone fat will make them lose weight. Telling a fat person that they are fat is not usually enough to get them to change their habits. It is not a secret. If a person is fat they know it and so does everybody else. I don't see why saying the truth is so bad. People kept calling me skinny. It is one of the reasons I started exercising to put on some muscle.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with calling someone fat if you have good intentions. A person I know is 80 pounds overweight. He has trouble walking. Pretending that he is not fat does not help. I have called him fat and tried to get him to take better care of himself.

Calling someone fat will not cause them to lose weight but admitting they have a problem is the first step. If you call a fat person fat maybe they will face the truth and try to lose weight instead of pretending they don't have a problem. Besides the overweight people I know spend a lot of time criticizing me and other people. At least I am trying to help.

Ugly words are probably the reason I started working out more. People kept calling me short and skinny. Now I workout a lot and do things those people could never do.

1. profile image53
      Sally Dickensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am glad for you that being called ugly words has motivated you to build some muscle but as someone who has been obese all my life and struggled with trying to lose it I can tell you that being told I  am fat has never been a motivating factor forme

2. mikejhca profile image92

The person I mentioned was surrounded by polite people that made it easier for him to gain weight and harder for him to lose it. They were part of the problem. Anyone that is going to be part of the solution needs to be truthful with you.

3. profile image0

Fatness is not the problem, it's the countless number of bullies who feel the need to bash people for the way they look, for the way they act, and for the way they dress!! BULLIES ARE THE ISSUE NOT FATNESS OR UGLINESS!! If people can't accept then FT

4. mikejhca profile image92

Fatness is a health problem and a mobility problem. In moderation fat is good for you. You need some. If you have a lot then it is a problem for anyone that cares about your health and happiness.

5. profile image0

My doctor told me that he once had a 500 pound man come in for a check up and he was healthy as a horse, clearly it is only you that thinks that it is a real issue, but to me, size doesn't matter, I have seen huge men that had success in their life!

14. profile image48
    blingdresshouseposted 9 years ago

I think it depends. If the man is very positive, of course she/he wont care whoever says, but if the man is sensitive or  contemptuous, she/he will care whatever other people say. They will be more silent while they will do hardworking on losing weight when they alone.

15. profile image53
    hargahargaposted 9 years ago

don't believe that calling someone fat will make them lose weight. but Only to the extent that calling someone 'fat' makes that person WANT to lose weight

1. teamrn profile image60

Robert the Bruce, You seem to think that obese people are obese because of a CHOICE/DESIRE to be obese. Not so my friend, but since you're insistent on tunnel vision, get out the night vision  glasses because you'll need them.

2. peeples profile image93

Please explain how they became obese (not those with illness) if it has nothing to do with choice. I choose to smoke, I choose to consume alcohol sometimes but they don't choose to consume more calories than they are burning?

3. mikejhca profile image92

Most obese people are obese because of their habits. Anyone that made the same choices as an obese person I know would be obese.  His habits made him fat.  My habits made me lean. Some people choose to allow themselves to become obese.

4. teamrn profile image60

Peebles, I was commenting on R the B post in which he didn't allow for  inability to exercise to be a cause of obesity and your "call it like you see it"  remark, People fall short of the self-responsibiity mark, but is it a character flaw?

16. mcbel profile image63
    mcbelposted 9 years ago

Regarding the way you asked this question, it seems you may have exhausted all means of indirect encouragement with your overweight amigo... A person in denial to their addiction (that's what obesity is, right? Addiction...) is going to dodge every indirect statement you make about his or her health. If that person is truly lying to themselves about their own weight, then yes, you should be blunt about it. Before you go and brand your friend, you should be warned that they're likely to lash out. It's not a disease, but it is a disorder that can be treated with the help of others. It's solely up to the overweight friend to decide to do something about it.

Before any Ricky Gervais fans come after me about being to gentle on obesity as an addiction (rather than something every person can control), I watch my Grandmother put an extra 150 lbs during her fifties alone. It wasn't until her 60th birthday that she decided to get surgery on her stomach to control her eating habits. Obviously this could be considered to be cheating. She had other health issues that prevented her from jogging off the pounds, but that's beside the point. My point is, nobody told my grandmother to do something about her weight. She saw it in the mirror, and she saw it in the eyes of her friends and family. It was her own decision to lose that weight, regardless of the means she took to achieve her goal of getting healthy again.

So, what I'm saying is that your friend knows he/she is fat, but doesn't want (or doesn't know how) to do anything about it. Maybe telling him/her to lose weight will help, or maybe it will ruin the relationship, but when he/she decides to do something about it, you should be there to keep them MOTIVATED. Hope this helped. East Side Rulez. #Hashtag #Retweet #Hanshotfirst

17. old albion profile image62
    old albionposted 9 years ago

Calling a fat person fat does not help they have heard it all before. The person will often be trying hard to lose weight, usually they are struggling with one diet or another anyway. Help is what they need, we need to create the desire to lose weight in a balanced manner. Forget the miracle pills, put your money away! Simply eat a balanced diet and reduce the portion size. Exercise will improve weight loss and lead to a healthier way of life. Yes I know it's so easily said buy it is the way forward.
    Graham.

Old Albion, great tips for most wt loss, but w/out exercise,not enough for obesity. Without regular exercise, there is not enough wt loss, so exercise PLUS WHAT YOU SAY.

18. Velcapitan profile image61
    Velcapitanposted 9 years ago

Losing weight is a personal choice.  I dont believe in being offensive to folks, but I've met many that were inspired to change because of the way others treat them.

19. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 9 years ago

No, exercising and eating right helps you lose weight.

Popper, I think they know that exercising right and eating right will help them lose but if they can't exercise, don't crucify them

2. sparkleyfinger profile image84
      sparkleyfingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

try exercising regularly with 3 trapped nerves in your back/ shoulders, an over-curved spine, hips that dislocate regularly as well as varicose veins which, by the way, I have had since i was about 14, and a size 10. Can be quite difficult...

20. kumarlaltu profile image60
    kumarlaltuposted 9 years ago

Yeah it does matter.It strike a chord at the persons heart and above all it makes the person feel insulted and leave him/her embarrassed as it hurts their feelings,as a result of which the person becomes desperate to lose weight in order to prove others and in the long run proves beneficial.It matters to those who values opinions of other peoples. When things don't work your way, you have to make them work for you,sometimes a very rough/rude way helps.

21. profile image51
    Johana Hernandezposted 9 years ago

It depends on the person. Of course, not only is it not right to judge someone but also just plain rude. However, some people may take the negative connotation and turn it into something positive. Sometimes it takes reality, as much as it hurts, to wake you up and turn things around for the better. It would hurt more though, if the harsh comment came from a close family member or friend than from stranger. So at the end of the day, it depends on the person and how they are going to take it.

Johana, I so much agree. "JUDGE NOT, LEST NOT YE BE JUDGED" comes to mind. A positive might become a negative AND VICE VERSA

22. daborn7 profile image72
    daborn7posted 9 years ago

No. There is even a study done that proves teenage girls are more prone to gain weight when they are under pressure from people who are calling them fat on a consistent basis. The reason is because the body releases a chemical which stores fat when it is under stress. Calling a girl fat, or anyone for that matter, causes stress and releases the fat-storing chemical in return. Not cool.

23. Wynter Gale profile image59
    Wynter Galeposted 9 years ago

When I was younger, my siblings used to pick on me for my weight. At the time, I wasn't as "aware" of my appearance and lifestyle, so having that ridicule coupled with getting older actually helped motivate me in a way. I lost 40 pounds in high school and started to be healthier. While I don't think bullying is the solution to the obesity issue in this world, being overweight is not a good thing, especially when you consider that a "normal" weight is a range for your gender, height, and body type. You don't have to be model skinny to be healthy. As a society, we shouldn't bully overweight or obese people, but we shouldn't make them feel that it is okay to be that way, either.

However, losing weight can be difficult, and this fast-paced society makes it easy to eat unhealthily. Therefore, I can sympathize with people who struggle with their weight. It's not the same for everyone. Everyone has their own circumstances, and not everyone can lose weight as easily as some people. As long as a person knows what is healthy and what is not and is trying to move in the right direction, I respect that. I, too, struggle with weight and am constantly watching my diet and activity level. It's hard, especially since I currently have a low metabolism. The key is to not give up and rebound to what is unhealthy.

24. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

Umm...no. In a negative way, it is more likely to make them gain weight rather than lose it. In a non negative way, it can certainly be a motivator to lose it, but I wouldn't say it necessarily helps since the person still has to choose if they want to lose the weight or not.

Its a coin flip really, depends on the person.

25. DaisysJourney profile image67
    DaisysJourneyposted 9 years ago

I don't think calling anyone any name will make them DO anything aside from feel angry, disgruntled, or disrespected. 

Calling an overweight person fat will not make them lose weight, even if they may WANT to lose weight.  Being called fat from people one knows or complete strangers is hurtful in any form.  There are tactful ways to
    share with a loved one that you are concerned about their health.  If you don't personally know the overweight person, my opinion is to MYOB (mind your own business!)  I believe the discussion should be between loved ones and not between some stranger at the supermarket or on the street.  "Hey fatso, you don't need that ice cream because you're fat!" isn't going to win friends nor influence the overweight person who may eat more, eat less, or throw the ice cream cone in the rude person's face.  Calling someone fat who you don't know is just plain rude.  And calling someone you know "fat" may need to be toned down and served with a side of grace and tact.

In the same vein, though, calling a slow person stupid isn't going to make them learn, nor will calling an unmotivated person a lazy slacker going to incite them to work.   I wish it were so because there are some people I wish would work and work hard.  I also wish it was possible to point out someone's ignorance as being racist, homophobic, or a bigot and know that he/she would change his/her ways.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  I can judge someone's status any way I see fit and still not motivate them to change. Change can only come about when someone recognizes the problem in oneself and seeks a path to correct, improve, or modify that which they've found undesirable.  Without that desire or personal acknowledgement of the problem, making the judgment just feeds discontent and adds to the greater problem of rudeness.

People also need to ask themselves how important their words and opinions are to others and if it is necessary to share that opinion.  Is it helpful?  Is it true?  Is it kind?  Is it motivated by concern or a need to feel superior?

too often people act without thinking or just to fit in with the crowd. once everyone excepts the fact that we all are imperfect and have baggage maybe we will become more excepting of others.

26. nanderson500 profile image78
    nanderson500posted 9 years ago

No, I don't think calling someone "fat" or any similar insulting term would help most people. Most folks would probably be more motivated by positive reinforcement. Ultimately, anyone who is overweight must find the self discipline and self motivation to improve their health.

absolutely

27. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not. With the standard diet of processed food being in plenty, it's very difficult for a person to lose weight, though with the right changes very achievable. I'm a pretty fit person, who stays active, but there are plenty of people as active as I am who have difficulty losing weight. Many people suffer from obesity not just being a physical battle, but a mental one as well and they know full well they're overweight, so they need encouragement, not another heartless name caller.
    Losing weight is harder to do than to quit smoking and we've all seen how difficult it is for a person to quit smoking. Food is a necessity and unfortunately, the right kinds of food aren't available in mass quantity and the common information on healthy eating out there is pathetic.

28. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 9 years ago

I've been the subject of fat jokes my entire life and I can tell you an emotional eater will only eat more. It hurts to be called names.

the greatest pain is that people do it without thought of another.

29. Clinton C James profile image55
    Clinton C Jamesposted 9 years ago

Losing weight is a personal choice and the motivation to be healthy and to treat one's body with respect must come from within. I do not believe in fat shaming anyone - but I also see a trend in society to normalize it and that's a slippery slope also.

Obesity/Overweight lead to a reduced quality of life and cause numerous health problems. While I would love to see everyone feel the energy, bliss and confidence that comes with improving their health; I know that cruelty is not the best way to motivate people. That being said, the only person who controls you (collective you here) is you. If you don't like something about yourself - you alone have the power to change it or make excuses not to.

I've been on both sides of this, losing 60 pounds previously and taking off 20 again currently. It's all about empowering ourselves. If someone says something mean and you turn it around and make it into a positive that's a good thing for you. It isn't about "them" then, it's all about what you chose to do despite them. I don't believe in being a victim to bullies. What I do or don't do is on me.
    "No never,it is a unique believe."

1. Clinton C James profile image55
      Clinton C Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's my unique answer

30. profile image52
    Northernmoonposted 9 years ago

Having a lot of issues with weight loss myself, I can give you the simple answer that mean words have NEVER motivated me to do anything but slip into a depression and deepen my own self hatred. This of course leads to a lack of motivation to exercise and an increased desire to eat foods that are probably worse for me than normal. So no, ugly words do not do anyone any good.

Weight loss and body image are very personal things, and there are a wide spectrum of problems that can be affecting someone with these issues. This means that weight gain and an unhealthy lifestyle can often be a symptom of other problems that aren't seemingly connected to a person's actual weight at all. 

People who are overweight or suffer from a negative body image (because these kinds of issues are not just related to obesity) need encouragement and support, not hatred or chastising. While personal decisions might have lead to the weight gain, overweight people didn't choose to be that way - and that's important to remember. No person looks at themselves in the mirror and thinks 'I'd like to get fat and hate myself this year'.

Encouraging someone to become healthier (not thinner - and that's an important distinction) is probably the best way to promote a healthy lifestyle - not just weight loss by itself.

It's important to give people positive encouragement - so that they can accept who they are now and work to get where they want to be without feeling overwhelmed, worthless, or like there's no point in trying since they'll always be fat and ugly (which is often how I feel - especially when I know others are judging me for my size).  Let them know that you're with them, you support them, and you want them to be happy - not a model.

1. mcbel profile image63
      mcbelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I smoked for years. Addiction is an emotional illness. Comments from non-smokers made me self-conscious and my self esteem plummeted in response, leading to a worsening smoking habit. BUT, once I stopped realized that I controlled this, I changed.

31. sparkleyfinger profile image84
    sparkleyfingerposted 9 years ago

It is easier to put weight on than to lose it. I need only look at a slice of pizza, and I've gained 2lbs.  Im medically obese, but because I'm tall, I carry the weight well. I have had doctors puzzle over my (very honest) food diaries and I have tried loads of diets. I think that hormonal contraceptives have quite a role to play in this battle, as I was a natural size 12 before I started dabbling in them 10 years ago. AAAnyway...

If someone calls me fat, it does hurt, simply because I do go through some amount of effort to at least prevent myself from gaining any more weight. But, on the same side, if someone tells me I look as though I've lost weight, I see it as a ticket to gorge! Unfortunately, I love food. But, not to the excessive levels I have seen others partaking in (while still remaining stick thin).

If anyone calls me fat, it is usually followed with another negative remark, to which i respond: I may be fat, but I can diet- you will always be ugly smile

Plus, on that note, I have never been shy of admirers, and most men prefer to have a woman with a bit of meat on their bones. smile c'mon the fatties!!!! smile

i have a brother who would never date someone as thin as i am but nonetheless some people are so unhappy and insecure about their weight that the simplest judgement can almost cripple them.

2. profile image52
      Northernmoonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's my life story!  I am the same - pretty overweight but tall and able to carry it well. Unfortunately that seems to mean my body also REALLY likes to hold on to it! Even working out constantly and eating well only got me to a size 12 at best

32. profile image0
    Pastor Wolfeposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9160291_f260.jpg

Most weight gain issues are genetic, eating disorders can be the cause, depression and even Low Self esteem. 9 times out of ten, side effects to certain medicines can also cause weight gain. Not everyone is fat by choice, it is just apart of being human. Even fat people are beautiful, inside and out!

"Sometimes even a 500 pound person is as health as a horse!" quoted from my doctor!

The way I see it people who make fun of them are either scared or jealous!

my old man is a big boy and i like him that way...lol

33. Hezekiah profile image86
    Hezekiahposted 9 years ago

It depends on the person, but I guess in most cases it will make matters worse.

34. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

No, I do not think that it would at all.  I think all this social stuff going around about fat people is just someone else's problem with their self image.  Just think of all those who live and work with these types of people how fast they would lose their jobs by helping these.  Plus we do not for certain what kills a person.  There are all kinds of possibilities butt he bottom line is they died when it was their time to go.  If it makes them happy who's to say that it is a bad thing.  Self Image is a personal thing and often used to pre-judge what we do not like to see...in ourselves.

1. profile image0

Amen

i do believe that some people are too thin skinned. if you know that you have weight issues i can understand that you may not want to keep hearing about it. but you also have to prepare yourself for the obvious.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

NEWS FOR THOSE WHO JUDGE OBESE PEOPLE:
      "In can be tempting to ask families receiving food assistance, If you're really hungry then how can you be overweight?  For many of the hungry in America, it's an unintended side effect of hunger itself."
      "The N

35. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 9 years ago

I have a friend whose self-esteem is so low, that if someone called her tiny 5'10 and 140 pound frame fat, she would try to lose weight. (She's done it before because she really believes she is fat!)

Other people would probably eat more to comfort themselves.

And other people would let it go in one ear and out the other.

I think it is all about how a person reacts to hate and ugliness.

36. Patrick Dunning profile image57
    Patrick Dunningposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9189042_f260.jpg

Don't want to be called fat?  Be not fat or end it all.  Either one solves the problem.

OUCH, sensitivity is not your middle name.

I wonder what baggage you may carry that you don't want to be reminded of.

3. Penny G profile image60

I'll pray for Loveofnight.

4. loveofnight profile image76

my comment was for patrick......just in case it looks as tho it was for you penny

37. profile image52
    ALSmytheposted 9 years ago

I do not believe that calling someone fat is a motivator for weight loss. I believe that insults are intended to hurt someone only. If you care about someone, you should not call him/her hurtful names of any kind. The world needs people to be more complimentary to one another. Build people up, don't break them down.

38. profile image48
    jasperbhenposted 9 years ago

Yes but not all. Sometimes, calling people in unpleasant terms gives them depression and we know that most individuals get fat because the eat out stress. Encouragement should always be positive.

Some might get challenged to lose weight after they hear people talking about them negatively. While others get fixated on being fat.

Hear from "The Biggest Loser" host Alison Sweeney: http://bodytreatmentcenter.com/alison-s … est-shape/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)