For A Bookworm Like Me.....who are they calling a nerd?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (41 posts)
  1. vampiregurl profile image60
    vampiregurlposted 14 years ago

i really love to read....i read almost all the books in our library....then my classmates started calling me a nerd...

i was thinking what to do to remove this bad impression about me...and i came up with this... 

1.FASHION- dressing in trend helps me a lot in changing a nerd me to a popular me...like an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan...wearing eyeglasses that has designs would make you look
    cute...your hair must be combed properly and if possible try different hairclips or hairbands to go with it...

2.Way of speaking- try not to stutter when speaking or look shy...be proud of yourself and avoid looking down when talking...avoid using some words that you know that others do not know like the word inanimate which means garbage,try using simpler words as possible..

3.friends- be equal in choosing  friends...dont choose friends who like reading books like you too...try to befriend everybody...chip in your sweetest smile and dont be shy to say a simple "hi"...in the cafeteria,dont always sit with your circle of friends...try sitting with lower graders and start chatting with them... if you would do this even if others laugh at you,remember DONT THINK OF WHAT OTHERS TELL ABOUT YOU....JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!

start doing this things and you wont be a nerd looking...once you hold a book...

1. chukra G profile image59
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nice. but actually no one is stupid or intelligent here, where nerd exist?

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's too bad young people have to be concerned with these things.  There's a line from a song in the musical, La Cage aux Folles (which, if anyone doesn't know, is about gay guys; but the song pretty much applies to everyone).  The song is, "I Am What I Am", and the line I love is, "I am what I am, and what I am needs no excuses."  It's hard to keep that kind of thinking in mind when you're dealing with classmates, but one of the best ways to be accepted for whoever you are is to keep that kind of thinking.   smile  Of course, reality is that at least while you're in a school setting, thinking that way but dressing "mainstream" (as it applies to what's "in fashion") does make life easier.   smile

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To give up caring what other people think about how you dress, how you speak, or what your hobbies are also makes life a lot easier. You shouldn't have to change what are only harmless or even beneficial aspects of your personality just to conform.

I've also found it easier to embrace the "nerd" label as a compliment. People try to pigeonhole what they don't understand and put people down whom they imagine are threats to their narrow ideas of how people should be.

The worst thing about trying to stay in fashion is that once you figure out the rules, the whole game changes, and what you think looks cute is "so last year." So to heck with it. You don't need anyone who's going to use the word "nerd" as if it were an insult.

3. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

It seems as though, especially the fashion section, is rather superficial. Yes, people judge, especially in school, but a lot of insecurities are in our heads, and we think to far into how others perceive us.

If you read a lot of books, you don't have to change one bit...you are who you are. If you think that makes others see you as a nerd, fine. But, then it's stereotyping your own self.

Just be yourself, be a good, friendly person, and be proud of who you are. Sure, there are bad impressions, but don't give a false one either...you won't want them finding out the real you which they will later. You want them liking you for you.

4. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Some of us wear terms like "nerd" or "geek" as a badge of pride.

It is the Age of the Nerd. Look at people like Bill Gates and J.K. Rowling. I bet they were called nerds in high school and now they are some of the richest and most successful people in the world. Being smart isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Neither is being shy, or not always wearing the latest styles. Fashions change monthly - a good book lasts forever.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen smile

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I say forget them! I am a huge bookworm and if ppl call me a nerd I say so what? Be yourself, don't try to change yourself. It's sooo not worth it!

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had 'em pretty well confused, even back in my school days.  Top grades and total bookworm...but also did sports (rodeo at a pro level eventually) and had the obligatory number of fistfights (back in the day when MMA would have been called "dirty fighting").  No fashion sense at all, wore high water jeans with cowboy boots and even hiked the jeans up over my knees one time as a protest against the girls shortening their skirts and getting me way too excited (okay, so this was in the Fifties), but coupled that with a sarcastic bigmouth attitude.

And no, I didn't care much what they called me, as long as it wasn't late for dinner.

Ummm...except coward.  Confucius say, "Teenaged boy who ignore that one asking for sand kicked in face."

6. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I am wrenfrost56 and I am a nerd, alway's have been always will be.
    Be proud to be a brain and glad your not an air head!

7. Lisa HW profile image62

Valerie, I agree that we shouldn't care about what other people think and we shouldn't dress to conform; but there are realities to being a student in school setting, where people aren't grown-up and where almost everyone is insecure; and sometimes life for young people can be easier if they wait until they're not in school (either at the end of a school day or once they graduate) to disregard something like "what's in fashion" and do their own thing.

When I got out of school I felt as if I finally could be free to wear what I wanted (often a skirt, in a time when girls and women would "brag" that they "don't own a skirt").  I was never someone to wear absolutely everything everyone else "always wore", but I will admit to making sure I never wore anything that "nobody else wore" or that only the "uncool kids" wore.  Yes, I conformed to some degree (fashion-wise); but within the realities of a school setting sometimes that can make the difference between being someone who "generally belongs" and someone who feels isolated from his peers.  I'm not in favor of people conforming when it comes to their values, ideas, or interests; but with something as simple as what ones wears to school; even if I, as an adult, believe we should all wear what it is right for us (and even if I think its unfortunate kids in school have the "issue" of "what's in fashion" for young people); I saw how life was for kids who made no effort to generally wear the kinds of stuff other kids wore in school. 

My daughter wouldn't wear some of the "extreme" things her classmates wore to, say, high school; but in general, she wore the stuff that was fashionable for kids her age.  In any group or social setting there are ways people often adjust their behavior to what fits the situation.  I'm as big a non-conformist (and so are all three of my kids) as anyone, but I don't think it's a bad thing for young people (in school) to learn (as my daughter did) how to dress in fashion while still choosing the items that are right for them.  It may stink, but there's a social/emotional "survival aspect" to it, as there is in many institutional settings.  I'm not advocating extreme, robot-like, conformity in the way students dress - only not wearing anything so weird or out of style it makes them get made fun of.  (I think, maybe, there's a Hub we could write about this.  smile  ).

8. vampiregurl profile image60

thnks for the reply....yeah..how i wish there is a hub where we could write about this...young people nowadays,feel so insecure when people tease them as a nerd especially when one of their crush is teasing her too...i already experienced this thing...,as a 14 year old..and for about a week i really doesn't want to show my face to others...that experience really changed me a lot...

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're 14?

9. Lisa HW profile image62

vampiregurl, you should write a Hub about your own experiences and/or your ideas about what schools or others could do to try to improve the situation.

10. vampiregurl profile image60

but...ill try my best to still be what i am no matter what!!!
    thnks to everybody!!! (for giving me advices...lol)i know you're advices will also be a good help to others...

11. vampiregurl profile image60

thnks lisa...i will...,promise!!!

12. vampiregurl profile image60

yep..im 14 yrs old..my aunt just give me this account and said "write what you want here..it'll improve your writing skills..."lol

13. Lisa HW profile image62

vampiregurl, you should write a Hub about your own experiences and/or your ideas about what schools or others could do to try to improve the situation.

I got through school without anyone "making fun of me" (ever) or saying anything negative (at least to my face or within my ear shot; I don't kid myself that there will always be someone who has stuff behind people's back).  I think that was partly because I so looked so young (really, really, young and small) the more "sophisticated" girls didn't see me as a threat, the nice boys weren't about to make me fun of me, and the otherwise tough boys seemed to know I was someone who minded my business (some of the even seemed to enjoy making me laugh).

There's no doubt about it that I was careful not to wear anything that would be too different from the kind of stuff "everybody" was wearing; and I made sure I didn't make self-righteous, disgusted, face when someone would act up or be a clown.  I never pretended to be someone other than myself, but there's no doubt about it I kept a low profile for that "self".  The trade-off for all that minding-my-business and not wearing anything that would get me made fun of to my face was the I had a pretty positive experience in school.  The other side to it, though, was maybe I got at least enough respect not to be made fun to my face precisely by being myself (even if I did mind my business and have a "live and let live" attitude).  I do think when young people select items of clothing they like from whatever is out there that's reasonably within what's in fashion at school, they send a message that they see themselves as "one of the group", rather than as someone who wants to attract attention to themselves or emphasize that they don't want to be a part of the group.  That may not be great in post-school life, but while people are dealing with a group of people who aren't grown up yet, there's something to be said for sending that message that one sees himself as one of the group (not a loner, not superior, not an oddball, etc.)   smile

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Holy cow! This place is full of nerds and nerdettes! Run for you lives!

15. vampiregurl profile image60

thnks lisa...well as what you requested i wrote my first hub...its "the melting princess"...it just came to my mind,so i typed it...its just a simple made fairytale...lol

16. Lisa HW profile image62

Great - I know I'll be among the readers.   smile

17. vampiregurl profile image60

thanks!!!ahm...i wonder what mr.sneaksomething's telling me...i cant understand him...

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweetheart, I'm a goofey Dad trying to sell some Bad-Dad jokes.

18. vampiregurl profile image60

oh...lol...thnks..!!lol

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You be careful here ok? So far you're doing alright! You might want to stay away from the religious and political stuff it gets kinda ruff over there and some times the language isn't all that good. When people talk about those topics theres alot of emotion and not always good, ok?

19. vampiregurl profile image60

okay...ill avoid the religious stuff lol..

20. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Vampiregurl, turn that info into a hub! Lol, a lot of people from around the world could use that advice. Set it up kinda like a school survival guide!

~thranax~

21. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I thought you had to be 18 to be a member here...

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know you need to be 18 for adsense and the other affiliates..

~thranax~

22. vampiregurl profile image60

ahm...my aunt just gave me this account asking me to write here...

23. vampiregurl profile image60

okay ill make this info into a hub?

24. thranax profile image72

Yes, making a hub out of that is a great idea indeed!

~thranax~

25. vampiregurl profile image60

im really 14...ill be 15 this december 24...

26. thranax profile image72

The new hub will surely help some students out there, like in Ouran deal with "nerdy-ness"

~thranax~

27. vampiregurl profile image60

okay...lol...i dont want to be kicked out here...,im enjoying it here!!!

So your really 18, but you feel as though your 14 at heart? wink

~thranax~

28. vampiregurl profile image60

haha...*smiles...okay ill admit it...im not 18 actually im 19 ill be 20 this december 24...you are one naughty guy aren't you?

Not really, no. Im actually quite conservative compared to others. I just come on now and then, write a Hub or two and check my e-mail.<.

~thranax~

29. vampiregurl profile image60

ahmm...you mail...ah sure...

30. vampiregurl profile image60

yeah...lol...its not good to be called names...but not thinking of what they say is sure is the right thing to do...

31. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I've always been told throughout the course of my life that if I wanted to become a prolific writer I had to become a prolific reader.  With that being said, I read everything my greedy hands could find and then some...

My advice?  Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you love.  Keep on reading and tell anyone that has a problem with it to go scratch!  They're just jealous that you're literate and they're not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)