If you had to leave the country you live in today...

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Genna East profile image81
    Genna Eastposted 9 years ago

If you had to leave the country you live in today...

If you had to leave the country you live in today – heaven forbid – and could choose any other nation in which to live, what country would it be?  Someone asked me this the other day.  I said, “If I had no choice?  It would probably be Canada or Denmark.  I think.  No…wait a minute.  I’m not sure.”  It’s not an easy question to answer.

2. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I'm in Canada and I would go to Iceland - no question. I would love to move there someday, even if just for a few years. Ever since I was a kid I felt overwhelmingly drawn to it... it's such a unique, beautiful, peaceful place. I finally got a chance to visit in 2010 and it exceeded my expectations (which were extremely high). It's just magical.

I adore Canada, but I've often told my mom that I was meant to be born in Iceland!

1. cam8510 profile image92
      cam8510posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've been to Iceland and would choose there as well.  It is a beautiful country.  Just have to beware of volcanoes occasionally.

2. Genna East profile image81
      Genna Eastposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've never seen Iceland, but my father's family was from there originally. before  eventually ending up in Canada.  I spent many summers in Barrie, Ontario.  It's a beautiful country. :-)

3. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

I like living in Canada, but if I had to live in another country I would choose Britain. I grew up there and have many happy memories of the country. I love the British countryside and the chance to explore history. Most of my relatives live in Britain, which is another attraction.

Britain would have been one of my answers, too.  I love the Brits. :-)

4. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

After traveling extensively this summer I am convinced there are wonderful places in this world.  But there is no place like home.

I agree...that's why I had such a hard time trying to think f an answer.

5. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 9 years ago

I've been to Norway, Iceland, Mexico, Guatemala and Canada.  If I had to leave the old US of A, there is no doubt I'd move to Iceland, at least for a while.  I wouldn't mind spending some more time in Norway as well, and Canada (Newfoundland/Labrador and Nova Scotia).  Yes, I would probably travel a lot if I had to leave the US.

I've been to Mexico and Canada...I love Canada. :-)

2. Availiasvision profile image80
      Availiasvisionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why Iceland?  What did you like about it?  It's seems like a beautiful country and one that values freedom.  I'd love to see a Hub about it.

3. cam8510 profile image92
      cam8510posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Availiasvision, Iceland is a beautiful country.  Reykjavik is a beautiful, modern city.  But the beauty is in the natural wonders of geysers, water falls, glaciers, ocean cliffs, wandering sheep, volcanoes and puffins.  Gotta love the puffins.

6. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 9 years ago

I think I would like to try New Zealand and see what it's like, specifically the west coast of South Island.

Thank you for your answer.  I've never thought of New Zealand.

7. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

If I had to leave England, I would be going back to live in my own country(Philippines). All my parents, relations and friends are in the Philippines and That is where I grew up and then my fate brought me to England. England is a nice place to work and live but at the back of my mind, I always wanted to go back home one day maybe when I am retired and don't have to work no more. At least I have that choice.

Retiring in your home country would be wonderful...it's great that you have that choice. :-)

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

If I had to leave the USA then I would move to Canada. If I had to leave North  America, then I would move to Scotland (my mother and her family grew up there), or Ireland. Somewhere in the U.K. if Scotland was no good. Like London.

My daughter-in-law's family is from Scotland...gorgeous country.. :-)

9. The Frog Prince profile image71
    The Frog Princeposted 9 years ago

I'd be hanging my hat on a sailboat in Costa Rica.

Lol...loved this comment.  Sounds like a great place to be. -)

10. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Genna......This would certainly be one heavy dilemma.  Right off the top of my head....I'd choose Canada.  Canada is not only an hour from where I live now and have the majority of my life, but it seems to me....it would satisfy a few of my immediate issues.
    Again, it's close to my lifetime home and would be the least "different,".....I'm already fairly familiar with Canada, due to spending a good deal of time there and I have found Canadians to be extremely nice people.
    You're right, this is not an easy question, but you've presented a great exercise in "serious contemplation."......Peace, Paula

Canadians are such lovely people. :-)  But this question does cause us to think about what we have, and what we would lose or gain if we were to live elsewhere.  Is the grass really greener?  I liked your thoughtful answer.  Thank you. :-)

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Genna...Thank you.....one more huge reason would be that no foreign language issues!.....I'm glad we can all stay where we are for now..smile

11. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Genna, what an interesting question.  As I have not traveled much outside of the US ... YET, it is hard for me to choose, but I would want to be in a place that is considered to be one of the happiest countries in the world.  So, Sweden sounds lovely, as does Denmark, as it is considered to be one such country.  I hope to be able to travel a lot in the upcoming years.

One of the reasons I thought of Denmark aside from Canada is that I understand it is one the happiest countries.  Its citizens are very content and fulfilled; with very low crime, among other things.  Thank you for that perceptive answer. :-)

12. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 9 years ago

I too would probably leave the U.S. For Nova Scotia, Canada. I think a small town along the Bay of Fundy or perhaps it would be better to land in the place where Dr. Abraham Mazlow (a New Yorker, that authored the Self-Actualization Pyramid/theory) self-actualized to; namely, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I visited Cape Breton once and it is significantly beautiful both in land /sea and cultures. It's geography speaks of Scotland (due to Continental Drift), little wonder, that a few ships of Scots who left Scotland due to persecution landed there. Some French Arcadians who were able to avoid the conquering British and thus, expulsion to the lands of the Louisiana Purchase, and even some African American slaves who used the "Underground Railroad" to make it to Cape Breton and subsequently settle there. The music of this region is World-Class and you can find step dancing and caleighs everywhere. The melding of cultures has generated a most beautiful sound that resonates throughout Cape Breton.

Thank you for your interesting answer about Cape Breton Island.  I've seen photos and it is really quite beautiful.

2. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cape Breton maybe a step up from Barrie, Ontario although Muskoka (situated close to Barrie) is beautiful too. I think just North of Barrie would be an excellent choice also...

3. Genna East profile image81

Thank you, connrj.  It was on Lake Simcoe in Barrie..a beautiful place at the time; the water was so clear.  :-)

4. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have been on lake Simcoe a few times. The area is still quite beautiful...

13. Glenda Motsavage profile image70
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

Almost ANY of the Caribbean Islands - I'm a warm weather person, and I also love how life seems to slooooow down when I'm there!

14. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

I have always wanted to live in Canada so that's my first choice, then Sweden or Switzerland is second.

15. CrisSp profile image73
    CrisSpposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11831886_f260.jpg

Well, I am already here and happily living in Canada. So, welcome you all to my humble abode and thank you for those lovely compliments on Canada in general. Yes, it's true we pay higher tax compared to other countries in the world but I wouldn't trade it any other way specially benefiting from our health care system here. I've seen worse from other countries and I am grateful to be Canadian. Yet,  if I were to choose I'd pick Norway (except for the cold) for job security and where average earnings are comfortable. They also scored high (9/10) – in the area of life satisfaction, safety and work-life balance. But then again, I get them here too. There, my two-penn'orth! smile

And thank you for your "two-pennorth"! Good to seey ou.

16. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

I think I would go to Canada or England, because we speak the same language, or maybe Ireland or Scotland.  Canada and Scotland may be too cold.  Otherwise I'd try to remember the French I learned in high school and go to France.

Canada seems to be on many lists.  It's a good choice.  Thank you for your answer. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)