Your father's favorite maxim?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

My dad always has some pithy comment to sum up a situation. One of his favorites is, "Rich or poor, it's nice to have money."

What are some of your family favorites?

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Grandfather's; After you have eaten Steaks for awhile, beans don't taste so bad!

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My dad owned a butcher shop. The company motto was
      "We skin beef, not customers."

I put it in a hub about a lot of other family history turned comedy. So much drama and tragedy at times, but still, so much to laugh about if we let ourselves.

1. emievil profile image68
        emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmm, wonder what happened to make him put up that motto? big_smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image63

It was just his sense of humor. The farmers in the area always laughed about Mr. Carter's motto.

At least, they always think of your father when they think of buying beef smile. Your dad combined good sense of humor and great marketing at the same time. smile

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I live in the Deep South. My dad was always saying,

"Close that door! We can't cool the back yard!"

3. Luciendasky profile image59
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

My grandpa would always say "deep subject" if there hadn't been any conversation in a while

4. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Anytime I say something to the tune of, "Hey dad, that's a nice car, huh?"  His response will always be:

"Sure...Can you take it with you [when you die]?"

It's great having a devout Buddhist for a father.

5. Luciendasky profile image59
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

That is an awesome approach to live dohn!

6. loveofnight profile image74
    loveofnightposted 14 years ago

i grew up hearing: a half loaf of bread is better than none

7. dohn121 profile image80

Thank you, Luciendasky...It's because of him that I always question every purchase I make.  Our world is filled with needless bundles of nothings!  When you think about it, there is very little we need to "survive" including food.  There are many things in this world that are free.  Those are usually the best things too big_smile

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

You must pay for your sins. If you have already paid, you can ignore this warning.

1. dohn121 profile image80
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh!  That's pretty dark, Charles!  Do you have change for $20? big_smile

2. emievil profile image68

hmmm, that sounds like something out of a credit card company's letter when I'm late for my payment. lol

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, they stole it from me. I am daddy now and grandpa too. Another thing I tell 'em is:
        Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Dad used to say,
          "I'll have you know my memory is PERFECT!!! It just doesn't last long."

2. emievil profile image68

LOL, that's a safe one.

Okay hmmmm. Back to the topic. My father was very strict. He always says "no boyfriend until after college" (shheeesssh). then he will follow it with "after you graduate, you can get married the next day, I won't stop you". (double sheeesssh). come to think of it, how can we get married day after graduation when we can't have boyfriends two days before that? smile

1. profile image0

He ever tell ya to hold an aspirin between yer knees when with a boy?

LOL nope. He's conservative ya know. Can't discuss those things, might give him a heart attack smile.

9. profile image0

No, but I also have this:
    Remember to use all fingers when waving at a policeman.

Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good advice!

10. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Dad had plenty of sayings, here's one:

There's always gonna be days where everything you touch just turns to s*^t.

11. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

He always said : We all come to life comdemned to death.

[shudder...]
      Creepy cool truth. Should be on the walls of every church and spook alley.
      LOL

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But he allways said with a laugh. He thought life was a big joke big_smile

That's terribly, awfully, horribly refreshing. And the best part is it's a rub to so many who don't know how to laugh.

12. profile image0

You had a good dad. My last one I promise. hehe I also give this sound advice:
    Santa Claus has the right idea, visit people only once a year.

Especially if they're your godchildren lol

13. profile image0

I would think not. He's lived too I would imagine. He once was young and carefree.

Think so but that was like a long time ago for him. He had me when he was already 37 and long gone from his bachelor days smile.

14. dohn121 profile image80

Thank you for the fan mail, Ernie smile  I appreciate it.

hey you're welcome. I'm counting two weeks before you have your 500 fans smile.

That would be pretty amazing!  I hope I don't let you down smile

hehehehe, hope my good luck wishes work again this time. Gotta go, past midnight here already.

Good nite everyone smile

Night, Ernie!

2. Daniel Carter profile image63

Night Mary Ellen! Night John Boy!
            Gosh, it's wakee-wakee time here. I need breakfast!

15. andromida profile image54
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Please don't waste your time.smile

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

"Whatever you do in your life - Don't Abide Fools!" hmm (Woof Woof)

17. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

He never followed the maxim rule book. My dad made things up as he went along.

it´s more than just a stick

or

never look down kids. it's always as high as it looks

It's why I'm an idiot smile

1. profile image0

Poor froggy. Did ya listen to him? hehe don't answer.

18. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 14 years ago

A Friend of mine is a Model Railroader, on his lay out he has a scale wearhouse building with an advertisement decal on it:

Miracle Chair Co.
    If it's a good chair, its a Miracle!!!!!

lol

19. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

My late father's maxim:

"You're pounding sand down a rathole, kid."

How'd he know we'd end up with pet baby kangaroo rats 12 years after he passed from the planet?  lol

20. profile image0

All people are born alike, except Republicans and Democrats.

21. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

your ship will come in one day~ smile

22. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My favorite has to be when either mom or my brother or myself as my dad a question and if my dad doesn't know the asnwer he always made something up. lmao my daddy is a character!

23. profile image0

Dad one day, 1956; I married your mother because I wanted children. Imagine my disappointment when you came along.

lol...sounds familiar.

24. dohn121 profile image80

Friends are like electricity: Used them wisely and you will benefit from having them.  Used them carelessly and they can kill you.

That's probably my all-time favorite from him.

25. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I think it's probably this one:

http://www.maxim.com/girls/girls-of-maxim?p=2

26. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

my dad used to tell me "be a ram, not a lamb".  he got that from his father.  the same grandfather had another one i always liked though..."if you can't soar with the eagles in the morning, then you shouldn't have been out hooting with the owls all night".

good advice.

27. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

My teenage years my dad used to say - "Keep off the grass" - i thought this was some sign posted in a park/garden. Until i saw some teenage groups having a pot session, puffing weed. Aye! that's the grass he was talking about!

28. Dominionmaster2 profile image62
    Dominionmaster2posted 14 years ago

My dad used to tell us boys that we would rather rake a tiger in the ass with a handful of barbed wire than to mess with him.

He was always going to spin us like a button on a barn door.

Stupid is as stupid does!

My mom used to tell us that it was better to remain silent and let others believe we were stupid, than to open our mouths and remove all doubt.

1. broussardleslie profile image76
      broussardleslieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's AWESOME!

1. maven101 profile image70
        maven101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Dad told me when I went into business for myself " What you allow is what you teach "....no wonder he was so tough on us growing up...but he was consistent..

2. Dominionmaster2 profile image62
        Dominionmaster2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah my mom was always saying stuff that at first sounds like an insult, but then after a few minutes you thought wow she's kinda right. I always said my Moms Epitaph was going to read, " OH YEAH AND ANOTHER THING MISTER!"

29. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

"Worse things happen at sea".

And he tends to say in late June, every year, "darker every day now until Christmas!" which annoys everyone else. Because in the UK, the summer days are endless - light at 4am, dark at 10pm, but the down side is that it's jolly dark in December (-:

30. Deborah-Lynn profile image59
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

"Learn from your elders, if you can avoid making the same mistakes they did you'll be ahead of the game, gorsh almighty!"

31. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

"Hindsight is 20/20"

32. Sybil Marie profile image60
    Sybil Marieposted 14 years ago

When driving in the car my dad would say "As the monkey said as he backed into the meat grinder...it won't be long now"

33. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Everyday, starting in kindergarten when my sister and I would leave for school my dad would say, "Hold your head up high, put one foot in front of the other, take a deep breath, and speak your peace."

Even when we became adults, he would say that as we left the house.

34. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

My Granny's one was, "Laugh and the world laughes with you, cry and you cry alone".

Nelle, I love your Dad's!

35. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

My mother never tired of reminding me, "Be sure to get a good education.  It's one of the few things in life that no one can take away from you."
    Q.

Are you Jewish? I've been hearing that all my life. My parents made it clear that our ancestors may have been chased out of one place after the next. Therefore, the only thing you can really carry with you no matter where you go is, your mind, your knowledge, your education.

36. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

My dads favorite

I wont F#@K you if you don't F%$K me but if you F$#K me you're F$#Ked!

He has a way with words!

Your dad is subtle, isn't he

37. Carmen Borthwick profile image61
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

My dad always told me you can accomplish anything you set your mind to and if you ever feel intimidated by anothe person just picture that person on the toilet because we all look the same when we're taking care of business. Needless to say I am not easily intimidated.

Carmen, my dad said the same thing, but he would say to picture them in their undergarments before reminding me, "everyone puts on their pants, one leg at a time."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)